Zeppelin versus Sabbath?

I think nativity in black answers the questionn...how many platinum selling tribute albums of zeppelin preformed by the top cutting edge bands of this time have there been. ? uhhhh...none..how many led-fest have there been...nope none of those either

When it comes to the current stuff, and probably the stuff being put out since the early 90s, Black Sabbath is definitely the overriding influence.

Which band do you think has a bigger influence on new music today?

probably black sabbath....all the hack speed metal douches try to be sabbath......zep is the better band though....notice no one can do zep except zep.....

Sabbath (the Ozzy years) are probably my favourite band of all time, I don't have a clue about the influence on other bands compared to Zep.

Maybe the people saying Zep can list the current bands that are more heavily Zep-influenced than Sabbath-influenced.

I'm interested.

Zep invented metal for chrisakes. Happily for us, they also could actually play music at the same time

Sabbath just made it respectable to call any three chord rock played loud, metal.

In that respect I suppose you have to give the crown to Sabbeth because so much that followed them in the metal department was basically (musically speaking) simpistic shit.

Zep didn't invent metal by any stretch.

Zep and Sabbath formed in the same year, firstly. Deep Purple formed the same year as well. Lots of bands were playing that type of stuff before Zep hit the scene to "invent" anything. You've got stuff by Blue Cheer and Steppenwolf, probably as much metal as Zep and definitely an antecedent to metal, coming out at least a year before Zep released their first album.

Zep invented metal for chrisakes. Happily for us, they also could actually play music at the same time

Sabbath just made it respectable to call any three chord rock played loud, metal.

In that respect I suppose you have to give the crown to Sabbeth because so much that followed them in the metal department was basically (musically speaking) simpistic shit.

The root of Metal is undeniably Sabbath.

Simplistic shit, eh? yea, I guess they couldnt ALL rip off another band to create an iconic Stairway to Heaven.

[youtube]HjPAEPFaxoM[/youtube]

There's no accounting for taste, boys.

If you're big Sabbath, bully for you.

I though Sabbath was overrated when they were new, and I thought they were overrated when they were old, too.

I like both bands a lot, but since the early 90's forward, I hear the Sabbath sound coming through in new bands waaaaaaaaay more than Zeppelin. I also don't know where anyone ever got the notion that Zeppelin is heavy metal. Blues based hard rock isn't synonymous with heavy metal. I can't even think of one single Zeppelin tune in drop tuning...a staple of heavy metal since first put into wide use by...you guessed it...Black Sabbath. And as Soggy pointed out, Zeppelin ripped off a ton of shit. So Sabbath wins for originality too IMO, if that was what we were voting on.

There's no accounting for taste, boys.

If you're big Sabbath, bully for you.

I though Sabbath was overrated when they were new, and I thought they were overrated when they were old, too.

overrated enough to create an entire genre and actually be original with their riffs?

Forum List

Back