Would you vote for an atheist

Would you vote for an atheist for president of the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 47 77.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • MountainMan is an idiot for asking this question

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For every one MountainMan, there are 10 Lakotas and 10 Richard Hs.

That 20:1 odds against getting a reasonable Mountain Man.

I have yet to ever meet an atheist who genuinely respected other beliefs enough to be comfortable having one in the White House, with executive powers relating to the freedoms of others.

Maybe they exist, I don't know. But I automatically distrust any belief system arrived at from the idea that one is inherently smarter and superior to others.

I have yet to ever meet an atheist who genuinely respected other beliefs enough to be comfortable having one in the White House, with executive powers relating to the freedoms of others.

Maybe they exist, I don't know. But I automatically distrust any belief system arrived at from the idea that one is inherently smarter and superior to others.

And your own statement doesn't strike you as inherently egotistical and self-righteous...why?

Besides the fact that atheism isn't a belief system.

Last edited:
Everybody that runs for president is 'expected' to proclaim their religious affiliation.

Why or why not?

Religious affiliation should not be an issue.

You really think that a person's core beliefs about the world and other people, and the reasons he holds those beliefs, are irrelevant to giving that person executive power over others? :eusa_eh:

Really? What is your religion? I suspect it's based on ONE book written thousands of years ago by many ancient superstitious goat/sheep herders who were banging their flocks and relatives. Am I close...?

I have big problems with the way you describe it, but yes, I am Christian. You didn't answer my question.
What justifies your ridicule of my faith? I may not see any logic in your religion or your life style, but I do not ridicule them. Please show my the same courtesy.
Answer me or apologize, or you can expect to find yourself at the top of my shit list. You and I rarely agree, Sky, but I have tried to understand and offer some pretty blunt advice when you've been troubled. I had considered you compassionate and tolerant, even a friend, but your ridicule of my beliefs is inexcusable.

I know many honorable true Christians, and I never ridicule their faith. In fact, I live with a devout Christian and I totally respect her faith. She practices her faith quietly and never tries to inject her beliefs upon others or into politics.

Here's where I have problems with any religion: When religious zealots try to influence politics and the way I live! Other than that, I have no problems with what anyone believes. Sadly, the religious right has pretty much hijacked the Republican Party.

Taking Over the Republican Party

I have tried to answer your question. BTW, I couldn't care less about being at the top of your shit list. And don't bother trying to shame me - it doesn't work.

Really? What is your religion? I suspect it's based on ONE book written thousands of years ago by many ancient superstitious goat/sheep herders who were banging their flocks and relatives. Am I close...?

Perhaps you could explain to us how this is a ridicule of just one Christian, as opposed to ALL Christianity in general. And could you also include an explanation of "honorable, true Christians" and how they can have a religious belief that DOESN'T fall under your description of Christianity.

You ARE, however, giving us a bang-up demonstration of scary religious zealotry that no sane person would want in a President. Sadly, you're demonstrating it through your own actions, not through your bullshit links.

I have big problems with the way you describe it, but yes, I am Christian. You didn't answer my question.
What justifies your ridicule of my faith? I may not see any logic in your religion or your life style, but I do not ridicule them. Please show my the same courtesy.
Answer me or apologize, or you can expect to find yourself at the top of my shit list. You and I rarely agree, Sky, but I have tried to understand and offer some pretty blunt advice when you've been troubled. I had considered you compassionate and tolerant, even a friend, but your ridicule of my beliefs is inexcusable.

I know many honorable true Christians, and I never ridicule their faith. In fact, I live with a devout Christian and I totally respect her faith. She practices her faith quietly and never tries to inject her beliefs upon others or into politics.

Here's where I have problems with any religion: When religious zealots try to influence politics and the way I live! Other than that, I have no problems with what anyone believes. Sadly, the religious right has pretty much hijacked the Republican Party.

I have tried to answer your question. BTW, I couldn't care less about being at the top of your shit list. And don't bother trying to shame me - it doesn't work.

Perhaps you could explain to us how this is a ridicule of just one Christian, as opposed to ALL Christianity in general. And could you also include an explanation of "honorable, true Christians" and how they can have a religious belief that DOESN'T fall under your description of Christianity.

You ARE, however, giving us a bang-up demonstration of scary religious zealotry that no sane person would want in a President. Sadly, you're demonstrating it through your own actions, not through your bullshit links.
Odd how the left tells us they FEAR a religious theocracy in this Republic...discount the Constitution, and then defend ISLAM.

Twisted, don't you think?

Guess I will be the only one to say I would not vote for an athiest. It's not that I would be against that person or not tolerant of his or her choice, I just think that person might be limiting one of their avenues of help.

With the conditions of the world as it is, the president needs all the help he can get. I would like to think he/she could call on the Lord for some that special touch from time to time.

I'd vote for an Atheist if the person shared my political views..

That would never happen because Atheists are generally immoral and careless and its do to their lack of belief in God.

Not all but the majority are.

They're also ignorant people because many adore the lie of "separation of church and state" which doesn't even exist.

You don't find your words ironic...why?

That would never happen because Atheists are generally immoral and careless and its do to their lack of belief in God.

They're also ignorant people because many adore the lie of "separation of church and state" which doesn't even exist.
You're correct because there was no 'Separation of Church And State' ever mentioned in the Constitution. That term came from a letter from Jefferson to the Baptists in Danbury, Conneticut.

The First Amendment was crafted for the expressed purpose of Liberty of the individual to practice as they pleased, and the Government had no say in the matter. And the fact that there would be NO Govcernment sanctioned religion as was the case with England.

You're correct because there was no 'Separation of Church And State' ever mentioned in the Constitution. That term came from a letter from Jefferson to the Baptists in Danbury, Conneticut.

The First Amendment was crafted for the expressed purpose of Liberty of the individual to practice as they pleased, and the Government had no say in the matter. And the fact that there would be NO Govcernment sanctioned religion as was the case with England.

So you don't find religious beliefs influencing laws to be sanctioning them?

Or forcing religious views into the education system (which is funded completely by state) to be sanctioning them?

Everybody that runs for president is 'expected' to proclaim their religious affiliation.

Why or why not?

Did my vote go through? I vote that I would NOT because of accountability issues that arise from theoretic atheism. I do not expect every one in the country to be as spiritual-minded as I am nor do I expect the government to forever be held back from becoming productively progressive... but then Christianity does not mean those things to me.

Or forcing religious views into the education system (which is funded completely by state) to be sanctioning them?
When in the causes of LIBERTY of The Individual as we all are born, and laid out in the Declaration Of Independence? Guess where *I* Side?

Shouldn't take many brain cells to noodle it out...

When in the causes of LIBERTY of The Individual as we all are born, and laid out in the Declaration Of Independence? Guess where *I* Side?

The Declaration of Independence isn't where the laws of the US come from, Sir. It is ENTIRELY irrelevant to the point.

The Declaration of Independence isn't where the laws of the US come from, Sir. It is ENTIRELY irrelevant to the point.

The Declaration of Independence is a collective set of beliefs for the "foundation" of this country. The Constitution is how the Founding Fathers believed such a foundation may be established.

I would not. Atheists have a goal of making atheism the law of the land.

Atheist don't go door to door with little pamphlets. They don't trick sick old ladies out of their retirement. They don't do "miracle cures" on Sunday morning TV. They don't speak in "tongues". They don't cast magical spells to protect people from witchcraft. They don't claim to speak for Gawd. They don't hate the gays.

In fact, religion is totally ignored by atheists until right wingers throw it in their faces.
Athiests sue Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Boys and Girls clubs, cities, states, churches, the government, and schools for anything and everything to try to get rules changed to allow them to proffer all atheistic views on everybody else in society. A lot of parents homeschool their children, as I would if I had small children at this particularly crazy time in American history due to atheists trying to stamp out our childrens' beliefs.

Atheists define "throw it in our faces" as "practicing it anywhere that I have to see it and be aware that it exists". The only proper exercise of religion is done in secret, to their minds.

And then they wonder why people with religious beliefs are reluctant to elect an atheist.

But you are the arbitor of "true" Christian belief. So tell us, what do you base your judgements upon besides not posting on message boards? I didn't know that was in the bible.

You're obviously not equipped for the task you're trying to undertake.

In other words, you're too chickenshit to back up your insistence that you, an atheist, know what a "true" Christian is or should be, and are looking for a way to run away without admitting that you're running away.

Not sure I would want to elect a poltroon as President any more than I would an arrogant narcissist.

But you are the arbitor of "true" Christian belief. So tell us, what do you base your judgements upon besides not posting on message boards? I didn't know that was in the bible.

You're obviously not equipped for the task you're trying to undertake.

In other words, you're too chickenshit to back up your insistence that you, an atheist, know what a "true" Christian is or should be, and are looking for a way to run away without admitting that you're running away.

Not sure I would want to elect a poltroon as President any more than I would an arrogant narcissist.

I will no longer elect a Christian because of how you act.

There, I'm like you now.

But EVERY belief system thinks that it is smarter and superior to others, whether it be religious

Nobody ever says, "I'm a Catholic, but I think the Lutherans are much smarter and superior to OUR silly-ass belief system." No. They'd just convert to being Lutherans and join that church.

There are a whole lot of Gods you don't believe in. I just believe in one less than you do.

Once you've rejected religion, it's really kind of hard to respect the beliefs of people who still hold to things that are just plain silly. Take away the religious awe and crap, and what you have are a lot of really implausible stories (some with some very bad lessons) and morals that aren't based on anything rational.

Oh good morons...We have court rulings that set precedent about the separation of church and state.

They will just call that secondary, as if court rulings don't matter at all. But they will bring up their own court rulings when it supports their argument too.

Forum List

Back