Would you vote for an atheist

Would you vote for an atheist for president of the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 47 77.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • MountainMan is an idiot for asking this question

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would you vote for an atheist

Not believing in bunk is certainly a plus but it would depend on what else the individual stood for. He or she would have to have a hell of a good platform to overcome the flack for declaring that in his or her opinion "there is no god". I'm a practical voter. When it comes down to it I vote for the individual that will probably do the least harm as POTUS. That is the main reason I voted for Obama.. I couldn't risk Palin getting that close to the Oval Office.
Thank you for reminding me why I wouldn't vote for an atheist who considers belief in God as "bunk."

So what terminology or way of putting it..if someone believes that there is no god...would make you feel more comfortable?

I get it that I am a crude thoughtless asshole when it come to putting a sun shiny face on issues. Of course a politician would be far more careful with your delicate feelings! :lol:

Now link to all the congressional votes on whether the U.S. is a Christian Nation. :eusa_whistle:

Why didn't you simply answer my question?

Illustrate what Christian political beliefs you consider as violating the separation of Church/State.

Last edited:
But you are the arbitor of "true" Christian belief. So tell us, what do you base your judgements upon besides not posting on message boards? I didn't know that was in the bible.

You're obviously not equipped for the task you're trying to undertake.

None of the TRUE Christians I know run their mouths on message boards.

So you are the arbitor of "true" Christian belief. You should tell god he can take a smoke break.

What God? Which God? Whose God? There are thousands! I put my faith in Santa Claus - he delivers.

God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs
So who's proselytizing here?
I see damned few Christians posting link after ling about their beliefs. Sure there are some, but the atheists here seem a damned sight more evangelical.

Everybody that runs for president is 'expected' to proclaim their religious affiliation.

Why or why not?

Same answer as the would you vote for a Mormon Question. Of course, Unless of course they were some kind of Atheist Activist with a clear Agenda of attacking Religion.

But you are the arbitor of "true" Christian belief. So tell us, what do you base your judgements upon besides not posting on message boards? I didn't know that was in the bible.

You're obviously not equipped for the task you're trying to undertake.

No, I've already succeeded in my task. Anyone with common sense doesn't trust self professing Christians to judge who is a "true" Christian - it's all a matter of opinion. My confidence is much less in someone who obviously despises that viewpoint and doesn't even know the basics of what that viewpoint entails to begin with.

I will leave you unmolested to continue making atheists look like idiots by association now.

Everybody that runs for president is 'expected' to proclaim their religious affiliation.

Why or why not?

I am an atheist, so, yes, I would definitely vote for one.

Why or why not?

Sure. Not only do I not vote based on faith but I find those who try to get it that way, deplorable.

There are many, many examples of violations of church and state. One of the worst ones is trying to pack the courts with religious zealots, and it goes on and on from there.

Rise of the Religious Right in the Republican Party

Examples Of Violations Of Church-State Separation | Americans United

Church and State Violations!

Separation of Church and State: FAQ
I hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of Americans are Judeo-Christian. People who believe in a higher power make up 95% of the population. Why should they not make up 95% of the Court.
Of course you believe anyone who professes a belief in a higher power is a religious zealot, don't you?

Oh except for your girlfriend. I'll bet she's a liberal and it's just Conservative Christians you have a problem with.

There are many, many examples of violations of church and state. One of the worst ones is trying to pack the courts with religious zealots, and it goes on and on from there.

Rise of the Religious Right in the Republican Party

Examples Of Violations Of Church-State Separation | Americans United

Church and State Violations!

The right wants to pack the court to the right and the left wants to pack the court to the left. Wow, that's amazing.

I have yet to see a single example of an issue that Christians engender that violates church and state.

I am beginning to suspect you have nothing.

Here is your original post...

I know many honorable true Christians, and I never ridicule their faith. In fact, I live with a devout Christian and I totally respect her faith. She practices her faith quietly and never tries to inject her beliefs upon others or into politics.

Here's where I have problems with any religion: When religious zealots try to influence politics and the way I live! Other than that, I have no problems with what anyone believes. Sadly, the religious right has pretty much hijacked the Republican Party.

Taking Over the Republican Party

And I said, paraphrased, IOW they can believe what they want as long as they don't act on those beliefs.

Then you made a church and state violation argument.

So, again, what violation of church and state is influencing the way you live?

It's not only how I live, but also how my family and loved ones live. I have great-grandchildren.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Favoring one religion over others (or those who do not practice religion) is a violation of church and state. Examples might be displaying a Christmas tree or manger on the state house lawn, but not having displays from other faiths, having Christmas be a national holiday (but not Yom Kippur or holy days from other religions), having a Christian prayer in most legislatures before the start of the day's session, a judge having his or her personal religious displays in their courtroom, an angel's garden at the police station or courthouse, a Christmas tree, menorah or something unique to a particular faith in a public building; giving public funds to a religious organization to provide a public service (they now have faith based jails where inmates who have found the lord get better food, housing and treatment), requiring people to practice or profess a certain religion to get public housing or benefits. Hope that helps.

Examples of Violation of Church and State? - Yahoo! Answers

Examples of violations:

■An organization uses a government grant for religious activity.
■A public school event includes prayer or a public school teaches creationism or intelligent design.
■The government displays a religious symbol or text on public property.
■Prayers that contain language specific to one religion are recited before or after public meetings.
■The government funds religious hospitals that refuse to provide certain kinds of reproductive health care services for religious reasons.

Report A Government Violation Of Church-State Separation | Americans United

Teaching Creationism as an alternative to the theory of evolution/science in public schools

Religion in Public Schools

The presence and extent of religion in public schools is one of the most difficult and contentious issues when it comes to the separation of church and state. On the one hand are those who sincerely believe that a lack of religion in the schools "teaches" atheism or secular humanism, resulting in a decline in morality and performance. On the other hand are those who sincerely believe that state sanctioned religion and state supported religious observances infringe upon the religious liberties of all students.

Redefining Religious Freedom

Religious conservatives are anxious to expand the power of religious organizations in the United States, even if that means turning basic principles of religious freedom and liberty on its head. Instead of treating religious freedom as a type of general liberty and of freedom of conscience, they wish to treat religious freedom as a unique type of liberty, deserving of special treatment and privileges unavailable to people under any other circumstances.

By Austin Cline

The Rise of the Theo-Libertarian State

A libertarian state is one where the state is severely constrained in how it can act; a theocratic state is one where the laws are all based around religion. If some Christians have their way, America could become a bit of both: a theo-libertarian state where the government is severely constrained in what it can do because it can't easily do anything if it interferes with people's religious beliefs or practices. Even if you are a libertarian, a theo-libertarian state can't look good.

Redefining Religious Freedom - What is Religious Freedom?

By Austin Cline

Boerne v. Flores (1997)

Should the government give special rights to religious believers and religious institutions which no atheist or secular institution can have access to? That's what the Congress did with the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Far from restoring religious freedom, it created special rights and privileges based on religion, allowing religious institutions to ignore neutral civil laws. The Supreme Court struck down the RFRA in Boerne v. Flores, reinforcing the principle of equality for all.

More: Redefining Religious Freedom - What is Religious Freedom?

The Constitution Restoration Act of 2004, introduced into both houses of Congress on February 11, 2004, "includes the acknowledgment of God as the sovereign source of law by an official in his capacity of executing his office." Katherine Yurica, author of the Yurica Report, reports on this bill that reveals the theocratic intentions of its sponsors including Rep. Robert Aderholt (Alabama), Rep. Michael Pence (Indiana), Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama, Sen. Zell Miller (Georgia), Sen. Sam Brownback (Kansas), and Sen. Lindsey Graham (South Carolina).

Separation of Church and State

The Constitution Restoration Act of 2004, is the ultimate court-stripping measure introduced into both houses of Congress on February 11, 2004. Contrary to the intentions of the framers of the U.S. Constitution who wrote a Godless Constitution, it includes the acknowledgment of God as the sovereign source of law, and threatens with "impeachment" and "conviction" judges who uphold church state separtion. To read the Thomas Report from the Library of Congress click here.

This link lists the thirty-nine original cosponsors of the Constitution Restoration Act as of September 22, 2004. (Two have since retired.)

Biblical Law

Last edited:
It's not only how I live, but also how my family and loved ones live. I have great-grandchildren.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Favoring one religion over others (or those who do not practice religion) is a violation of church and state. Examples might be displaying a Christmas tree or manger on the state house lawn, but not having displays from other faiths, having Christmas be a national holiday (but not Yom Kippur or holy days from other religions), having a Christian prayer in most legislatures before the start of the day's session, a judge having his or her personal religious displays in their courtroom, an angel's garden at the police station or courthouse, a Christmas tree, menorah or something unique to a particular faith in a public building; giving public funds to a religious organization to provide a public service (they now have faith based jails where inmates who have found the lord get better food, housing and treatment), requiring people to practice or profess a certain religion to get public housing or benefits. Hope that helps.

Examples of Violation of Church and State? - Yahoo! Answers

By Austin Cline

The Rise of the Theo-Libertarian State

A libertarian state is one where the state is severely constrained in how it can act; a theocratic state is one where the laws are all based around religion. If some Christians have their way, America could become a bit of both: a theo-libertarian state where the government is severely constrained in what it can do because it can't easily do anything if it interferes with people's religious beliefs or practices. Even if you are a libertarian, a theo-libertarian state can't look good.

By Austin Cline

Boerne v. Flores (1997)

Should the government give special rights to religious believers and religious institutions which no atheist or secular institution can have access to? That's what the Congress did with the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Far from restoring religious freedom, it created special rights and privileges based on religion, allowing religious institutions to ignore neutral civil laws. The Supreme Court struck down the RFRA in Boerne v. Flores, reinforcing the principle of equality for all.

More: Redefining Religious Freedom - What is Religious Freedom?

You really have nothing do you.

The rising Theo-Libertarian State...:lol:

In Boerne vs. Flores the Religious Freedom Restoration Act which was signed by Bill Clinton, was struck down as unconstitutional by a majority of Kennedy, joined by Rehnquist, Stevens, Scalia (all but part III-A-1), Thomas, and Ginsburg. Dissenting were O'Conner, Breyer and Souter.

The Yahoo answers quote...give me a break.

And you still have yet to answer how it affects YOU.

The rising Theo-Libertarian State...

In Boerne vs. Flores the Religious Freedom Restoration Act which was signed by Bill Clinton, was struck down as unconstitutional by a majority of Kennedy, joined by Rehnquist, Stevens, Scalia (all but part III-A-1), Thomas, and Ginsburg. Dissenting were O'Conner, Breyer and Souter.

I'm sorry, but you're too fucking dumb to debate with. My last few posts were not intended for you. I research and save this stuff for future use. You're just a flamer.

Religious Cancer: The Greatest Threat to World Peace . . .

Various religious ideologies throughout the world are like malignant cancers that have metastasized throughout their respective cultures. For example, Christianity in American politics is having a dangerous affect on overall quality of life and world standing. Religious fanatics can’t just practice their beliefs in peace and quiet, but instead feel compelled to influence elections and legal systems. Their ultimate goal is to dominate and rule the world. They have pretty much gotten their way by pushing hardest and shouting loudest, but those days are numbered. More and more people of secular sanity and reasoning are finally starting to push and shout back.

The irrational rationalizations of religion are primarily responsible for the dangerous state of the world today. It is nearly impossible to have intelligent and reasonable debate with religious zealots, because their misguided beliefs are encased in a fist that sets atop their shoulders. They are the most narrow-minded zealots the world has ever seen, and nothing can change their minds. It’s much like someone saying they “believe” they are 10’ tall, even though it is obvious they are not. Their argument would be something like, “well, maybe not by your ruler”. Sooner or later, secular sanity must prevail to preserve our Constitution and the American way of life as envisioned by our founding fathers.

--Grey Eagle

I'm sorry, but you're too fucking dumb to debate with. My last few posts were not intended for you. I research and save this stuff for future use. You're just a flamer.

:lol: You quoted my post. :lol:

You're really bad at this, the smartest thing you've done so far is give up.

Last edited:

:lol: You quoted my post. :lol:

You're really bad at this, the smartest thing you've done so far is give up.

So you advocate for religious establishment in government?

Forum List

Back