Would you vote for an atheist

Would you vote for an atheist for president of the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 47 77.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • MountainMan is an idiot for asking this question

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Everybody that runs for president is 'expected' to proclaim their religious affiliation.

Why or why not?
Our constitution states there shall be NO RELIGIOUS TEST for our Presidents etc....

so, even for an athiest, there will be no religious test....

as long as the athiest doesn't bring his or her atheistic beliefs in to his politics or the presidential office.....

Everybody that runs for president is 'expected' to proclaim their religious affiliation.

Why or why not?
Our constitution states there shall be NO RELIGIOUS TEST for our Presidents etc....

so, even for an athiest, there will be no religious test....

as long as the athiest doesn't bring his or her atheistic beliefs in to his politics or the presidential office.....

Like George Bush did.

Not if he wore his atheism on his sleeve, no.

I basically feel the same about rabid atheists as I feel about rabid religionists.

Their concern about what other's believe indicates an immaturity of mind that I do not want in my POTUS.

There are many, many examples of violations of church and state. One of the worst ones is trying to pack the courts with religious zealots, and it goes on and on from there.

Rise of the Religious Right in the Republican Party

Examples Of Violations Of Church-State Separation | Americans United

Church and State Violations!

Separation of Church and State: FAQ

Shockingly, there is nothing in the Constitution about "separation of church and state", nor about keeping Christians and their beliefs from participating in government just as much as anyone else.

This stunning ignorance of what our Constitution says and calls for is yet another continuation of why I wouldn't vote for an atheist. It's bad enough that I can't trust them to protect my religious freedom: it's worse that they will self-righteously try to cloak themselves in the flag while oppressing me.

Not a fucking chance, bigot. I would no more vote for an atheist than I would vote for a Klan member, and for EXACTLY the same reason.

The Constitution Restoration Act of 2004, introduced into both houses of Congress on February 11, 2004, "includes the acknowledgment of God as the sovereign source of law by an official in his capacity of executing his office." Katherine Yurica, author of the Yurica Report, reports on this bill that reveals the theocratic intentions of its sponsors including Rep. Robert Aderholt (Alabama), Rep. Michael Pence (Indiana), Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama, Sen. Zell Miller (Georgia), Sen. Sam Brownback (Kansas), and Sen. Lindsey Graham (South Carolina).

Separation of Church and State

The Constitution Restoration Act of 2004, is the ultimate court-stripping measure introduced into both houses of Congress on February 11, 2004. Contrary to the intentions of the framers of the U.S. Constitution who wrote a Godless Constitution, it includes the acknowledgment of God as the sovereign source of law, and threatens with "impeachment" and "conviction" judges who uphold church state separtion. To read the Thomas Report from the Library of Congress click here.

This link lists the thirty-nine original cosponsors of the Constitution Restoration Act as of September 22, 2004. (Two have since retired.)

Biblical Law

The more you talk, the more I view electing an atheist as "Stalin Part Deux". We should put your stupid, bigoted, zealot ass on television, so that we could be sure no atheist would EVER be elected anywhere.

I swear, fundamentalist Muslims are less insanely evangelistic than you are, let alone Christians.

I'd vote for an Atheist if the person shared my political views..

That would never happen because Atheists are generally immoral and careless and its do to their lack of belief in God.

Not all but the majority are.

They're also ignorant people because many adore the lie of "separation of church and state" which doesn't even exist.
You're correct because there was no 'Separation of Church And State' ever mentioned in the Constitution. That term came from a letter from Jefferson to the Baptists in Danbury, Conneticut.

The First Amendment was crafted for the expressed purpose of Liberty of the individual to practice as they pleased, and the Government had no say in the matter. And the fact that there would be NO Govcernment sanctioned religion as was the case with England.

Oh good morons...We have court rulings that set precedent about the separation of church and state.
Fuck the court. They are not the final arbitors in anything. There are three branches of Government. The PEOPLE have the final say.

What DOES the Constitution say about it? And what did Jefferson say about the Judicial Branch? The most despotic? Look it up. You are no student of History.

You're correct because there was no 'Separation of Church And State' ever mentioned in the Constitution. That term came from a letter from Jefferson to the Baptists in Danbury, Conneticut.

The First Amendment was crafted for the expressed purpose of Liberty of the individual to practice as they pleased, and the Government had no say in the matter. And the fact that there would be NO Govcernment sanctioned religion as was the case with England.

Oh good morons...We have court rulings that set precedent about the separation of church and state.
Fuck the court. They are not the final arbitors in anything. There are three branches of Government. The PEOPLE have the final say.

What DOES the Constitution say about it? And what did Jefferson say about the Judicial Branch? The most despotic? Look it up. You are no student of History.

Predictable at best.

Oh ok, not a majority of Christians but you didn't really specify numbers so creationism is a big problem.

Oh, so is Gay marriage.

These are public systems and there are government benefits derived from marriage, it is no longer a religious establishment. To say that two consenting adults can't claim a government benefit because you don't want to give them their due freedom is insane.

Why just two...why not three or five or eleven?

Religious dogma being taught in public school is no less so, if they wish to have their children taught creationism (which is a religious view based on assertions and not on fact) they are free to do so in private schools.

Hell, I want taught man made global warming 30 years ago, just as much assertion as creationism.

I have nothing against Christians until they push their agenda on a public platform. Very few Christians do this and the ones that do are often looked down on by the majority for painting them in a bad light. I have no problem with religion as a whole but I do have problems with extremists of any religion.

Hopefully I am able to answer what he does not care too.

It's okay to be opposed to gay marriage, as long as it's not religion based?

That's just silly.

Since there is no factual evolutionary theory for the creation of the organic from the inorganic, at the moment, creationism is no more assertion based than the scientific theory.

Anything else?

I'm going to play nice and simply let you know that evolution has nothing to do with the beginning of life. That would be abiogenesis, which does have supporting experimental evidence.

Life As We Know It Nearly Created in Lab | LiveScience

Something creationism lacks in its entirety.

As to the polygamous marriage, that would seem more like tax evasion than actual marriage at that point. While I agree that it is not simply a Christian only talking point, it is primarily Christians that support the ban of marriage that is not between man and woman. Why, if you cannot discriminate in the constitution, should you be allowed to discriminate in a government institution?

Given that, as has been pointed out, the vast majority of the American population self-professes to have some sort of Judeo-Christian belief, it's not surprising that ANY objection on ANY sort of moral grounds is going to be "primarily Christians". Doesn't mean Christianity is necessarily all, or even most, of the reason they object.

As far as "discrimination", ALL laws are discriminatory by their nature, because they exist to discriminate against one type of behavior over another. Even traffic laws discriminate over, for example, driving through red lights as opposed to stopping for them, or driving 100 miles an hour over driving much slower.

You really should think with your brain, not your glands. You get better logic that way.

Predictable at best.
Really? What part of the Constitution and the role of the three branches do you not understand and the fact that they left it up to the people to override the Government?

And YOU were in the USAF? Really?

Just imagine if a highly qualified ATHEIST announced his/her candidacy for president in the current political/religious climate. The religious extremists would go nuts. There would probably even be bloodshed - possibly major bloodshed. In fact, I can't imagine even if an Atheist won the presidential election that he/she would ever live to see the Oval Office. It would make bombing abortion clinics seem minor in comparison. I really believe that.

Oh, what-the-fuck-ever. Your insane bigotry has finally driven you totally around the delusional bend. "Bloodshed". All I hear is you projecting YOUR idea of potentially acceptable behavior onto everyone else.

Call me when you can find an example of organized Christian atrocities anywhere in the last century, let alone a list to rival those of officially godless, atheist states, and we'll talk. Otherwise, go find a good therapist and work out this lunatic paranoia of yours, would you?

Predictable at best.
Really? What part of the Constitution and the role of the three branches do you not understand and the fact that they left it up to the people to override the Government?

And YOU were in the USAF? Really?

have another drink, tommy

Just imagine if a highly qualified ATHEIST announced his/her candidacy for president in the current political/religious climate. The religious extremists would go nuts. There would probably even be bloodshed - possibly major bloodshed. In fact, I can't imagine even if an Atheist won the presidential election that he/she would ever live to see the Oval Office. It would make bombing abortion clinics seem minor in comparison. I really believe that.

Atheist isn't capitalized, it's not a group and it isn't a proper noun.

The more you know. <3

I know, but I like to capitalize it like Christian... but thanks for the heads up...

Apparently, proper grammar is as out of reach for you as sanity is. "Christian" is capitalized because it's a proper name, fucktard, not as a "respect" issue. :cuckoo:

Oh, what-the-fuck-ever. Your insane bigotry has finally driven you totally around the delusional bend. "Bloodshed". All I hear is you projecting YOUR idea of potentially acceptable behavior onto everyone else.

Call me when you can find an example of organized Christian atrocities anywhere in the last century, let alone a list to rival those of officially godless, atheist states, and we'll talk. Otherwise, go find a good therapist and work out this lunatic paranoia of yours, would you?
You do know that they cite Timmy McVeigh, Abotion Clinic bombers...and others...so beware.

I agree.

Religion does not equal zealotry.

Atheism often does, though.

By that EXACT same logic, all religious people are extremists.

By WHAT logic are all religious people extremists? I expressed an observation; I didn't make an argument.

Please do not enforce your generalizations on us.

Unless I'm at your house, holding a gun to your ear and demanding that you say that all atheists are extremists, I'm not "enforcing" anything on you, tweeko. And if you can't speak any more clearly and precisely than this - or are always this thin-skinned and hypersensitive - you're going to have some real problems around here.

Just a friendly heads-up.

Did you know most Buddhists are considered by definition to be atheist right? Some Hindu's also.

And your point would be what?

Atheist doesn't mean a lack of religion, just a lack of belief in the existence of any deity.

Did I say it did? Here's a thought. How about you wait until I actually SAY something before you argue against it? Could we manage that? Because quite frankly, I really doubt that you're smart enough to articulate my beliefs for me, and I feel really violated when morons try to stick their words in my mouth.

It's not a belief, it's simply a state of lacking a belief.

Sorry, Sparky, but your saying it doesn't make it so. The fact is, atheism for many people is an active belief that THERE IS NO GOD, as opposed to a passive lack of belief in a god. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be able to evangelize so excessively, nor would they take such great offense to being made aware that other people DO believe in a god.

Which brings us back to my personal observation that atheism often equals zealotry.

Hopefully this information will cure a lot of the propaganda that has been spread against atheists. Though people are notorious for having tunnel vision.

Memo to you: learn the definition of "information", because this did not qualify.

For every one MountainMan, there are 10 Lakotas and 10 Richard Hs.

That 20:1 odds against getting a reasonable Mountain Man.

I have yet to ever meet an atheist who genuinely respected other beliefs enough to be comfortable having one in the White House, with executive powers relating to the freedoms of others.

Maybe they exist, I don't know. But I automatically distrust any belief system arrived at from the idea that one is inherently smarter and superior to others.

And your own statement doesn't strike you as inherently egotistical and self-righteous...why?

Besides the fact that atheism isn't a belief system.

No, tweeko. There is nothing inherently egotistical and self-righteous about pointing out that every atheist I ever met thought he believed that way because he was smarter and better than other people. It's just an observation. Grow a thicker skin.

For something that isn't a belief system, it sure gets preached a lot. But you keep telling yourself that if it soothes your tender little feelings, Princess.

Atheism often does, though.

By that EXACT same logic, all religious people are extremists.

By WHAT logic are all religious people extremists? I expressed an observation; I didn't make an argument.

Unless I'm at your house, holding a gun to your ear and demanding that you say that all atheists are extremists, I'm not "enforcing" anything on you, tweeko. And if you can't speak any more clearly and precisely than this - or are always this thin-skinned and hypersensitive - you're going to have some real problems around here.

Just a friendly heads-up.

And your point would be what?

Did I say it did? Here's a thought. How about you wait until I actually SAY something before you argue against it? Could we manage that? Because quite frankly, I really doubt that you're smart enough to articulate my beliefs for me, and I feel really violated when morons try to stick their words in my mouth.

It's not a belief, it's simply a state of lacking a belief.

Sorry, Sparky, but your saying it doesn't make it so. The fact is, atheism for many people is an active belief that THERE IS NO GOD, as opposed to a passive lack of belief in a god. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be able to evangelize so excessively, nor would they take such great offense to being made aware that other people DO believe in a god.

Which brings us back to my personal observation that atheism often equals zealotry.

Hopefully this information will cure a lot of the propaganda that has been spread against atheists. Though people are notorious for having tunnel vision.

Memo to you: learn the definition of "information", because this did not qualify.

You are not expressing rational observations. I'm sorry you are raised to be as blind as you are. Perhaps in the future we can speak on reasonable terms, but this is obviously not what you are currently capable of.

I know many honorable true Christians, and I never ridicule their faith. In fact, I live with a devout Christian and I totally respect her faith. She practices her faith quietly and never tries to inject her beliefs upon others or into politics.

Here's where I have problems with any religion: When religious zealots try to influence politics and the way I live! Other than that, I have no problems with what anyone believes. Sadly, the religious right has pretty much hijacked the Republican Party.

Taking Over the Republican Party

I have tried to answer your question. BTW, I couldn't care less about being at the top of your shit list. And don't bother trying to shame me - it doesn't work.

Really? What is your religion? I suspect it's based on ONE book written thousands of years ago by many ancient superstitious goat/sheep herders who were banging their flocks and relatives. Am I close...?

Perhaps you could explain to us how this is a ridicule of just one Christian, as opposed to ALL Christianity in general. And could you also include an explanation of "honorable, true Christians" and how they can have a religious belief that DOESN'T fall under your description of Christianity.

You ARE, however, giving us a bang-up demonstration of scary religious zealotry that no sane person would want in a President. Sadly, you're demonstrating it through your own actions, not through your bullshit links.
Odd how the left tells us they FEAR a religious theocracy in this Republic...discount the Constitution, and then defend ISLAM.

Twisted, don't you think?

If I ever find something about the left that ISN'T odd and twisted, rest assured I will start a thread about it. ;)

Guess I will be the only one to say I would not vote for an athiest. It's not that I would be against that person or not tolerant of his or her choice, I just think that person might be limiting one of their avenues of help.

With the conditions of the world as it is, the president needs all the help he can get. I would like to think he/she could call on the Lord for some that special touch from time to time.

No, I already said it. Although my reasons are different.

I know many honorable true Christians, and I never ridicule their faith. In fact, I live with a devout Christian and I totally respect her faith. She practices her faith quietly and never tries to inject her beliefs upon others or into politics.

Here's where I have problems with any religion: When religious zealots try to influence politics and the way I live! Other than that, I have no problems with what anyone believes. Sadly, the religious right has pretty much hijacked the Republican Party.

Taking Over the Republican Party

I have tried to answer your question. BTW, I couldn't care less about being at the top of your shit list. And don't bother trying to shame me - it doesn't work.

Really? What is your religion? I suspect it's based on ONE book written thousands of years ago by many ancient superstitious goat/sheep herders who were banging their flocks and relatives. Am I close...?

Perhaps you could explain to us how this is a ridicule of just one Christian, as opposed to ALL Christianity in general. And could you also include an explanation of "honorable, true Christians" and how they can have a religious belief that DOESN'T fall under your description of Christianity.

You ARE, however, giving us a bang-up demonstration of scary religious zealotry that no sane person would want in a President. Sadly, you're demonstrating it through your own actions, not through your bullshit links.

You don't find your words ironic...why?

Memo to you: while you're looking up "information", look up "ironic", too.

Forum List

Back