Zone1 why oh why did the Europeans have to start so many colonies?

i'm wondering at the moment; why did the Europeans have to start so many colonies around the world after 1200AD?
it seems our current international conflicts all stem from these efforts, which might be reversable in the not too distant future, if people were just willing to do so.
Invention of the compass and the astrolab made navigation possible in the 1200's and firearms were invented in the early 1300's which made conquest a little less bloody on the european side.

after that, now i find myself stuck at these questions :
1: what exactly are our foreign interests then? spices? oil? can't we get that through fair commerce practices?
2: what is preventing a retreat from these colonies?
3: are emperial desires native to the human race, as part of our alpha-predator instincts?

i'm wondering at the moment; why did the Europeans have to start so many colonies around the world

What did you expect God's Chosen Ones to do with their Industrial Revolution? Sit at home and concentrate on Football and knitting

When the Essene Monk came over here with his dad and Joseph of Arimathea , he blessed the land and its people when he laid the foundations of Glastonbury .

The Divine spark was planted and flourished .

Now our secret weapon , God's own Premier League , is watched by one and a half billion a week .

Here is the New True Christianity 2.0 .
With the imminent fall of the US and EU , the Premier League will absorb and reshape Russia and China and war will be replaced by competition between great footballing nations and their best teams .

i'm wondering at the moment; why did the Europeans have to start so many colonies around the world after 1200AD?
it seems our current international conflicts all stem from these efforts, which might be reversable in the not too distant future, if people were just willing to do so.
Because we were the only race capable.

Because we were the only race capable.
Ended in 2024/5 , in a large part due to racists like you Annie .
Plus , insane so called Neocons who see never ending war , which they believe is the best way to fund capitalism and control natural resources , as being selfish , greedy and Evil

Are you under the assumption that exploration and conquest was unique to Europeans?

They just had better technology and resources to do it first. In North America/Asia/Africa, different regimes/tribes all explored, warred, and conquered each other, but they couldn’t span out far from home and overcome natural barriers or were unable to reenforce what they explored/claimed

Is this another attempt to make Europeans uniquely evil in history?

No, it’s that Western Civilization was the best and it manifested in performance. All participated, “whites” just won.

Colonization did not begin to any meaningful degree until 1500.
It was driven by three things
1: Europe was full of people, and people need room
2: Inheritable land had been divided for generations and was about divided up
3:; National wealth and prestige.
it seems our current international conflicts all stem from these efforts...
War is a natural extension of human nature;; long as there are people, there will be war.
, which might be reversable in the not too distant future, if people were just willing to do so.
Not going to happen.

Are you under the assumption that exploration and conquest was unique to Europeans?

They just had better technology and resources to do it first. In North America/Asia/Africa, different regimes/tribes all explored, warred, and conquered each other, but they couldn’t span out far from home and overcome natural barriers or were unable to reenforce what they explored/claimed

No, it’s that Western Civilization was the best and it manifested in performance. All participated, “whites” just won.
The game is not over so declaring a winner is premature. Europeans only did what every other group did before them, we just happen to live in their time. Before them it was Arabs and before them it was Mongols for example. It is the story of humanity and goes back to the very beginning when farmers replaced hunter-gatherers and herders replaced farmers.

Invention of the compass and the astrolab made navigation possible in the 1200's and firearms were invented in the early 1300's which made conquest a little less bloody on the european side.

The Kamal or Kamel is older. 10th century I think.

The game is not over so declaring a winner is premature. Europeans only did what every other group did before them, we just happen to live in their time. Before them it was Arabs and before them it was Mongols for example. It is the story of humanity and goes back to the very beginning when farmers replaced hunter-gatherers and herders replaced farmers.
being better at slaughtering other humans does not give one group the right to imperialism over another, i believe.

It seemed like the thing to do at the time.
When was the last time you glanced through a geography book? 1950?

no, and i wasn't before starting this thread either..
agreed.
no, i'm just trying to get some introspection done along with aligning views to the mid-term future.
holding on to Israel might be a recipe for disaster for instance, in my view.

but should we? we call it the defense-industry, after all?..

Colonization did not begin to any meaningful degree until 1500.
It was driven by three things
1: Europe was full of people, and people need room
2: Inheritable land had been divided for generations and was about divided up
3:; National wealth and prestige.
good points. but now the whole world is too small for our numbers, so we must apply different math to today and the near future than what we did in the dark ages.
War is a natural extension of human nature;; long as there are people, there will be war.
i respectfully disagree. we can evolve into something more sophisticated.
chimps patrol their forest territory with wooden branches, ready to bash the skull in of anyone who trespasses.. but they hardly ever venture outside of their territory!

Not going to happen.
once again, i disagree.

MONEY... they got rich from these colonies. They wanted the exotic resources.

MONEY... they got rich from these colonies. They wanted the exotic resources.
yeah, that sure was the motto of those dark age days, it seems.
my own country got filthy rich during the 1700s, off "maintaining colonies" of course.
we had slavery (of blacks) in this country.

but times have changed since the emergence of commercial, cheap airtravel, and especially since the invention of the Internet.

Forum List

Back