Well I Did The Unthinkable Last Night, I Watched The Live Action Little Mermaid and Here's My Reaction To It

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Okay, now before you start jumping to conclusions, the only reason I watched it is because I found out that Ariel's hair was still somewhat red even though at times it looked more like brown or burnt orange. I'm still not sure why she had to be black though as that is something that I still can't overlook.

I have to hand it to her though, she was a pretty good actress and an amazing singer and her being black wasn't the worst part about it surprisingly enough. Scuttle was.

They completely destroyed his character by making him an extremely annoying (not annoyingly funny like in the original) female. Changing him from a seagull to a diving bird was okay and if they just left it at that I wouldn't have had any issues with him. (I'm still calling him a him because Scuttle is a male and Buddy Hackett has just got to be rolling in his grave right now. (Oh and the Scuttlebutt song? Really?)

I think they had Sebastian and Flounder's voices spot on however, but Under The Sea definitely fell flat for me as it doesn't have the same energy as the original and where are all the fish and sea animals playing instruments that Sebastian is singing about? King Triton looked the part, but he wasn't a very likeable character.

I didn't see much character growth like I did from him in the original. For in the original he might be crossing the line at times but his intentions on trying to protect his daughter from getting hurt or killed are extremely good. Here he just seems cold hearted through most of the film.

The disappearance of Chef Louie disappointed me and Flotsam and Jetsam don't speak and are more just there for nostalgia reasons as they aren't really characters at all in this film.

As for adding additional songs, I felt that it was unnecessary and got confusing at times when Ariel is supposed to have lost her voice. (Even though I realized later on that they were just her inner thoughts.) Oh and what was up with changing song lyrics?

Oh and I felt like there was something definitely lacking with Prince Eric's character. Not a fan of how they changed the ending for Ariel destroying Ursula instead of Eric and making her a girl boss either, but I get that they were trying to make it unique from the original so it's just not a copy and paste film like the "live action" Lion King (as good as I thought it was as a retelling of the story) was so that gets a few interesting points.

The best parts about the film for me was the undersea and mermaid visuals. Plus, Melissa McCarthy nailed the part of Ursula and the special effects to make her were amazing. So that is rated an 8/10 for all of that.

Bottom line, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and I somewhat even enjoyed it but it wasn't up to par with the original animated classic at all. So the overall grade I give it is a C. (B + for Ursula and all of the mermaid and under the sea visuals though and an A+ for Halle's singing.)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back