Why Isn't Fish Considered A Meat?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
To me any flesh of an animal is considered meat and I tried amazing salmon for dinner at Texas Roadhouse tonight and this discussion came up. Why is food like beef, pork, and chicken considered meat when fish is not?

To me any flesh of an animal is considered meat and I tried amazing salmon for dinner at Texas Roadhouse tonight and this discussion came up. Why is food like beef, pork, and chicken considered meat when fish is not?
Good question. While you're contemplating it, maybe you can come up with a reason why it is OK to eat squirrel, beaver and rabbit (rodents), beef, pigs, sheep and goats, and moose, deer and elk, but it is expressly prohibited in the US to eat horse? I've never had it, but I don't understand why it is taboo.

I'm not sure who doesn't consider fish a meat.

Maybe because it's a different type of animal flesh some people put it in its own category? :dunno: Dunno.

Good question. While you're contemplating it, maybe you can come up with a reason why it is OK to eat squirrel, beaver and rabbit (rodents), beef, pigs, sheep and goats, and moose, deer and elk, but it is expressly prohibited in the US to eat horse? I've never had it, but I don't understand why it is taboo.

Well to me horses are for riding not for eating but I'm not really sure the answer to that. To me they're more like animal companions.

I'm not sure who doesn't consider fish a meat.

Maybe because it's a different type of animal flesh some people put it in its own category? :dunno: Dunno.

I heard it's got something to do with it having Mercury in it,.. but thanks for not lecturing me about eating it though. I really appreciate it. :)

Sure, now you tell us!

It's a little late getting this kind of feedback.

I think it's silly because fish are animals... but apparently it boils down to how one defines "meat." I guess the Catholic church defines meat as the flesh of mammals? Paging ding lol

A chicken isn't a mammal though.

I guess that it is just easier to label fish as a seafood since the sea I guess is where they all originate.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

God bless you too as always Holly but some fish come from lakes and ponds and stuff and why isn't it easier just to have all animals be classified as meat?

It's all a matter of context. In the modern context, meat is understood to be animal flesh (of mammals) eaten by people to differentiate from sea life and vegetables, but in the general sense, there is the meat of a nut, there is the meat of the fish, there is even the meat of a story.

I think it's silly because fish are animals... but apparently it boils down to how one defines "meat." I guess the Catholic church defines meat as the flesh of mammals? Paging ding lol
Yep. "Meat" is the flesh of dead animals -- usually the muscle, but often organs too.

Catholics created this definition to get around their own manmade traditions

Forum List

Back