Why Isn't Fish Considered A Meat?

It's all a matter of context. In the modern context, meat is understood to be animal flesh eaten by people to differentiate from sea life and vegetables, but in the general sense, there is the meat of a nut, there is the meat of the fish, there is even the meat of a story.

True, and something a lot of people don't realize is that in ancient days, the word "meat" simply meant solid food.

True, and something a lot of people don't realize is that in ancient days, the word "meat" simply meant solid food.

Fish is a solid though although it does break apart easily if that what you mean of why it isn't classified as meat.

Fish is a solid though although it does break apart easily if that what you mean of why it isn't classified as meat.

No, I wasn't saying that's why it isn't classified as meat. I was just saying that words sometimes change over time, and a long time ago the word "meat" meant solid food in general. The King James Bible uses it in that context (see Genesis 1:29 KJV) and sadly some people have either been confused by that or purposely twisted it for their own reasons.

Genesis 1:29. KJV:

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat

Good question. While you're contemplating it, maybe you can come up with a reason why it is OK to eat squirrel, beaver and rabbit (rodents), beef, pigs, sheep and goats, and moose, deer and elk, but it is expressly prohibited in the US to eat horse? I've never had it, but I don't understand why it is taboo.

Chilled, raw horse with grated apple on top is really good.

Horse meat is superb though much stronger than traditional cow meat .

A great favourite the other side of the English Channel in France and the low countries especially.
Could increase hugely in popularity if cow cost continues to rise.
Recommed you try .

Horse meat is superb though much stronger than traditional cow meat .

A great favourite the other side of the English Channel in France and the low countries especially.
Could increase hugely in popularity if cow cost continues to rise.
Recommed you try .
Primitives

It's a forbidden "food" biblically. There are many reasons no to eat these animals, but humans, without God, simply have no governor

Primitives

It's a forbidden "food" biblically. There are many reasons no to eat these animals, but humans, without God, simply have no governor

The person you were replying to is as anti-Christian as it gets. She won't care about that.

And sadly, apparently some atheists also don't care about the golden rule.

Primitives

LOL, same thing could have happened from eating raw or rare beef. Try again. The only animals I've heard forbidden in the bible are those with "cloven hooves" -- you know, beef, pigs, and goats and sheep....

LOL, same thing could have happened from eating raw or rare beef. Try again. The only animals I've heard forbidden in the bible are those with "cloven hooves" -- you know, beef, pigs, and goats and sheep....
If you don't understand, "try again." Google can explain why horses are unclean

Mammals that have divided hooves and chew the cud are clean (Leviticus 11:3). Pigs have divided hooves, but do not chew the cud; therefore, they are unclean. Horses do not have divided hooves or chew the cud; therefore, they are also unclean.

I gave up religion but I was born Catholic.

"The third point brings us to an old debate of whether or not fish feel pain. For centuries it was believed they did not, but recent studies have been conducted which appear to prove they do."

To me any flesh of an animal is considered meat and I tried amazing salmon for dinner at Texas Roadhouse tonight and this discussion came up. Why is food like beef, pork, and chicken considered meat when fish is not?

Chicken isn't really even meat, it's poultry.

Meat is basically beef, pork, lamb/mutton, and large game.

"The third point brings us to an old debate of whether or not fish feel pain. For centuries it was believed they did not, but recent studies have been conducted which appear to prove they do."

Sucks for them.

Chicken isn't really even meat, it's poultry.

Meat is basically beef, pork, lamb/mutton, and large game.

That's just it though, when chickens are alive they are considered poultry, when they're dead though I think they are still classified as meat.

That's just it though, when chickens are alive they are considered poultry, when they're dead though I think they are still classified as meat.

Always felt growing up chicken, turkey and duck were always lesser than meat meat in the pantheon of good dinners.

They must get sick of eating seafood ALL THE TIME.

Forum List

Back