What is that thing?... foods you see but don't buy.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Today we tried a couple Chayota Squash.
The look like a "bumpy pear"...

dddddd.jpg

Can be eaten raw or cooked. You can eat the skin, but advised to peel as the skin is a little tough like cucumber skin.
Raw it has the consistency of a crisp apple. Taste, to me, like a cross between a cucumber and a turnip. Not as bitter as a cucumber, sweeter.
I pan fried it just like you would zucchini. S&P and that was it. 3-4 minutes per side - browned.
Fixed this way it tasted a lot like Zucchini. You could serve it as fried Zucchini and your guest would totally buy it.
However - it is better. It doesn't get "slimy" like zucchini does. More of a bite to it.

All in all - I'm getting them again. We both liked it. I think sliced thin it would go great raw in a salad also.
Main health beneficial is Mexicans have eaten for digestion problem for years. Studies have shown that it does appear to help your digestion breakdown proteins.

The one food I've never been able to put in my mouth, sea urchin roe.

iu

Living with my Japanese in-laws and their culture and food gave me so many wonderful experiences, including all kinds of sashimi, and this is the one that just will not go into my mouth.

Have you ever tasted it?
It's actually very good.

I know. I love the taste of other nigiri -- tako, maguro, sake, unagi, all the different kinds of roe. My favorite is the fresh, crunchy flying fish roe.

Just can't get past the texture.

Now that my Japanese husband is gone, I'm not at all into sushi, and I live in the Midwest where the sushi all looks rather suspicious.

Sugar Snap Peas. Not Snow Peas... Sugar Snap Peas.

Snow Peas everyone recognizes from Chines foods. Flat with very little peas inside.
Sugar Snap peas are shorter with larger peas than snow, and the pod is crunchier. Thus the name "snap"

Snow Peas we all know...
snow.jpg

Sugar Snap peas......

snap.jpg

Flat out the best peas. You can eat them raw or cooked. Best way to prepare them is to lightly saute them with just a little salt and pepper. Nothing else. They don't need it.
They are sweeter and more flavorful then any other pea. Satisfying crunch to boot.
Once you try them, you will eat them many more times.

Sugar Snap Peas. Not Snow Peas... Sugar Snap Peas.

Snow Peas everyone recognizes from Chines foods. Flat with very little peas inside.
Sugar Snap peas are shorter with larger peas than snow, and the pod is crunchier. Thus the name "snap"

Snow Peas we all know...
View attachment 782971

Sugar Snap peas......

View attachment 782972

Flat out the best peas. You can eat them raw or cooked. Best way to prepare them is to lightly saute them with just a little salt and pepper. Nothing else. They don't need it.
They are sweeter and more flavorful then any other pea. Satisfying crunch to boot.
Once you try them, you will eat them many more times.

Love 'em!

Best way is raw, first thing in the morning, before the dew has dried, snapped right off the vine.

Better'n a candy bar.

The one food I've never been able to put in my mouth, sea urchin roe.

iu

Living with my Japanese in-laws and their culture and food gave me so many wonderful experiences, including all kinds of sashimi, and this is the one that just will not go into my mouth.

Are you kidding?! Uni is SOOOOO delicious!

Forum List

Back