Why is it?

There is when i know how dishonest Care is and refuse to walk into her pathetic attempts to get me to post something she plans to turn into a strawman.

Fail.

Care's intentions have no bearing whatsover on the material equivalence of the two statements.

Her intentions justify taking special precautions to be very specific when answering the question. I answered the question; I merely did so more accurately than she expected.

To say there is no god is not the same as saying there is no evidence for god. Gnosticism is is logically fallacious, regardless of the position takebn

Her intentions justify taking special precautions to be very specific when answering the question. I answered the question; I merely did so more accurately than she expected.

To say there is no god is not the same as saying there is no evidence for god. Gnosticism is is logically fallacious, regardless of the position takebn

:blahblah:

And saying that JB is an ignorant shithead is not the same thing as saying there is no evidence that JB isn't an ignorant shithead.

But the point is still the same, you ignorant shithead. :tongue:

so you BELIEVE there is no evidence of God, but believe in god regardless?

or

you BELIEVE there is no evidence of God, so this is why you don't BELIEVE in God?

either way....you got ''beliefs'' as with everyone....

Actually, to conclude the former from the latter is logically fallacious. The positive must be demonstrated, not a lack of evidence for a negative. That you fail to grasp this most basic principle of logical reasoning demonstrates your ignorance and lack of education.

I laugh at your belief that we exist, for it is unprovable.

Des Cartesian denier.....:lol:

Clarify. I know of Descartes, but I've never read his works.

I HAD long since remarked that in matters of conduct it is necessary sometimes to follow opinions known to be uncertain, as if they were not subject to doubt; but, because now I was desirous to devote myself to the search after truth, I considered that I must do just the contrary, and reject as absolutely false every-thing concerning which I could imagine the least doubt to exist.

Thus, because our senses sometimes deceive us, I would suppose that nothing is such as they make us to imagine it; and because I was as likely to err as another in reasoning, I rejected as false all the reasons which I had formerly accepted as demonstrative; and finally, considering that all the thoughts we have when awake can come to us also when we sleep without any of them being true, I resolved to feign that everything which had ever entered my mind was no more truth than the illusion of my dreams.

But I observed that, while I was thus resolved to feign that everything was false, I who thought must of necessity be somewhat; and remarking this truth--I think, therefore I am--was so firm and so assured that all the most extravagant suppositions of the sceptics were unable to shake it, I judged that I could unhesitatingly accept it as the first principle of the philosophy I was seeking. I could feign that there was no world, I could not feign that I did not exist. And I judged that I might take it as a general rule that the things which we conceive very clearly and very distinctly are all true, and that the only difficulty lies in the way of discerning which those things are that we conceive distinctly.

The writings of Rene Descartes

Sounds like he paved the way for positivism by arguing that only self-existence is self-evident and all else is but our best model based on the available evidence.

To be clear, I was first introduced to logical positivism through the writings of Stephen Hawking and have branched out from there.

Last edited:
Sounds like he paved the way for positivism by arguing that only self-existence is self-evident and all else is but our best model based on the available evidence.

To be clear, I was first introduced to logical positivism through the writings of Stephen Hawking and have branched out from there.

But the real question is whether Rene has helped you with your problems of self doubt. Do you now believe in your existence?

But the real question is whether Rene has helped you with your problems of self doubt. Do you now believe in your existence?
I post, therefore I am.

- JB

If you don't believe in something, then let those that DO believe alone.

Nobody thought flight was possible, because so many others had failed. Then.....2 bicycle mechanics, who believed they could fly, flew. Incidentally, the reporters who had seen it were scared to call the story in, as they thought that their bosses would fire them for being insane or drunk.

If you don't believe in God, then for you, He doesn't exist. However, there are those that like to be a part of something larger than themselves (remember.....man is a social creature), and choose to believe that they are attached to something much larger than them. The Jews call Him "Elohim", the Christians call Him Christ, the Taoists call it the Tao, and all of them yearn to return to Him or It.

So what's wrong with that? Just because you want to believe that you are all alone in the Universe, there are many others who don't, as well as feel "guided" by circumstances and the hand of a Great Unseen Force.

But, some atheists become inventors, and are "guided" by their visions of what they want to do as well as create also.

Either way? I believe in a simple philosophy........."Live and Let Live".

If you don't believe in something, then let those that DO believe alone.

Nobody thought flight was possible, because so many others had failed. Then.....2 bicycle mechanics, who believed they could fly, flew. Incidentally, the reporters who had seen it were scared to call the story in, as they thought that their bosses would fire them for being insane or drunk.

If you don't believe in God, then for you, He doesn't exist. However, there are those that like to be a part of something larger than themselves (remember.....man is a social creature), and choose to believe that they are attached to something much larger than them. The Jews call Him "Elohim", the Christians call Him Christ, the Taoists call it the Tao, and all of them yearn to return to Him or It.

So what's wrong with that? Just because you want to believe that you are all alone in the Universe, there are many others who don't, as well as feel "guided" by circumstances and the hand of a Great Unseen Force.

But, some atheists become inventors, and are "guided" by their visions of what they want to do as well as create also.

Either way? I believe in a simple philosophy........."Live and Let Live".
Ahhhhh! Shad up!

Just kidding :tongue:

It is self-evident that I exist. It's whether you're real that's the question.

I have done the same analysis and can report similar findings as yourself and Rene. Therefore, I exist, however I am doubtful this post exists.

In concur, insomuch as i apply the same conclusion to my own existence as you, if you exist outside of my delusion, apply to your own (and that you, as a character in my delusion, state that you apply, if , indeed, you are part of my delusion... o_o). However, the model that posits your existence as well as that of this message board is by far the best model I have been able to assemble to explain my subjective experience and the perception of the existence of this board and your post- and the logical implication that if the post exists, there is, in all likelihood a poster, as the post does not resemble what we know to be automated posts (passing the Turing test with ease) and resembling in every sense a post made by a poster much like myself... therefore, that is the model within which I shall work barring contradicting evidence or the formulation of a superior model...

._.;;

But how do I know that the logic used to compare the possible models is valid and not a part of my delusion...? In this regard, everything beyond the self-evident fact that I exist* is truly taken on faith in my own perception and that assumption that is is reasonable (or that reason is reasonable and logic is logical :eek:) to base any such concept of either the self or the non-self on the experience of that perception....

* Where I might exist- including within your delusion or a 'reality' is another matter, but it remains evident that i exist in some form, as none-existence would (if our logic is valid and logical and not a gross corruption of a seemingly unreasonable reason that is inherent to my delusion) make the perception of the question impossible...

I'm going to stop now, 'cause I'm getting a headache :doubt:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back