Zone1 Why All Rational People are Believers

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The True Believers of the Church of J.C. of Latter Day Saints believe that if you lead a good life, you will be "exalted," which means that you will become a "god." In fact, they believe that the God of the Bible was once a man like us, who was exalted to godhood.

Imagine you are a god and you are bored. You lived a good life here and want to create world like this one, for your entertainment. There is one factor about this world that disturbs you a bit, but it cannot be helped, and it is this: Unless you want to micromanage every little thing on your Earth, life will be unfair. Seriously unfair. That is to say, some people will be born in abject poverty, some to great wealth. Some people will be born into a miserable society where disease darkens every day, and some will be born in "Canada." Some people will live their entire lives striving to do good things, but the frustrated by things over which they have no control, and others will blunder their way into great wealth and riches. It is really unavoidable.

But you, as god, can make one decision that rectifies all that. You can (a) choose to make the entirety of human existence the time between conception and natural death, or (b) you can create a means by with the unfairness of life will be rectified by an afterlife, an afterlife where a life of virtue is rewarded and a life of sloth or evil is either extinguished or punished. That is the one big choice that you can make.

I submit that although we are not gods, we can make that choice for ourselves. We can live our lives as though (b) were the actual facts of life.

Faith is not a gift from God. It is a choice that we make. Those who live according to (a) above (atheists, agnostics, etc.) are fools, and they add nothing to the world but their own production and consumption. It is sad.

The True Believers of the Church of J.C. of Latter Day Saints believe that if you lead a good life, you will be "exalted," which means that you will become a "god." In fact, they believe that the God of the Bible was once a man like us, who was exalted to godhood.

Imagine you are a god and you are bored. You lived a good life here and want to create world like this one, for your entertainment. There is one factor about this world that disturbs you a bit, but it cannot be helped, and it is this: Unless you want to micromanage every little thing on your Earth, life will be unfair. Seriously unfair. That is to say, some people will be born in abject poverty, some to great wealth. Some people will be born into a miserable society where disease darkens every day, and some will be born in "Canada." Some people will live their entire lives striving to do good things, but the frustrated by things over which they have no control, and others will blunder their way into great wealth and riches. It is really unavoidable.

But you, as god, can make one decision that rectifies all that. You can (a) choose to make the entirety of human existence the time between conception and natural death, or (b) you can create a means by with the unfairness of life will be rectified by an afterlife, an afterlife where a life of virtue is rewarded and a life of sloth or evil is either extinguished or punished. That is the one big choice that you can make.

I submit that although we are not gods, we can make that choice for ourselves. We can live our lives as though (b) were the actual facts of life.

Faith is not a gift from God. It is a choice that we make. Those who live according to (a) above (atheists, agnostics, etc.) are fools, and they add nothing to the world but their own production and consumption. It is sad.
that sounds like as many potential gods as as there are people. are the latter day saints polytheists?

What sins will you commit before you die?

Damn, someone is sure full of themself this morning. :laughing0301:

I'm agnostic.

I prefer not to mess with God and ask Him for a bunch of favors least He messes with me.

It's a understanding that has held me in good stead thus far....Your mileage may vary. ;)

Why do Cultists have this irresistable urge to project their problems onto others ?

As the saying goes, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. You may think that you can wish an afterlife into existence, I do not.

"Most men spend their lives making manure, and little else." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited:

1710085558693.gif

As the saying goes, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. You may think that you can wish an afterlife into existence, I do not.
The afterlife actually makes sense. "Is This All There Is?" -Peggy Lee

Faith is the opposite of reason since no evidence is required for faith. No insult, just fact.
Faith and reason are first cousins, if not brothers.

Religious faith involves much more than belief in the afterlife.

Faith and reason are first cousins, if not brothers.

Religious faith involves much more than belief in the afterlife.
No, they are unrelated. You can have faith and be smart, you can have faith and be dumb, you can have no faith and be smart, you can have no faith and be dumb. There is no correlation.

No, they are unrelated. You can have faith and be smart, you can have faith and be dumb, you can have no faith and be smart, you can have no faith and be dumb. There is no correlation.
All you are saying is what the Bible says; that knowledge and wisdom are everywhere, if one has the good sense to use them.

What I'm saying is that religious faith is the confidence that a certain set of rules, behaviors, and attitudes will be beneficial if purposefully followed long enough. Most are concerned with the here-and-now, not the hereafter.

All you are saying is what the Bible says; that knowledge and wisdom are everywhere, if one has the good sense to use them.

What I'm saying is that religious faith is the confidence that a certain set of rules, behaviors, and attitudes will be beneficial if purposefully followed long enough. Most are concerned with the here-and-now, not the hereafter.
Lots of good stuff in the Bible, unfortunately lots of bad stuff too. I'm not sure faith will allow you tell them apart but reason will help.

Apropos of nothing but reading this load of shite, I wondered why no Cultist ever claimed to have "rescued" one of Jesus' turds .

Relics were big business to get control and money from Gullibles and a specially shaped and perhaps sparkly big Jesus turd would have had the Sheeple in ecstacy .

Total proof of him doing such a wonderful job .

Faith is the opposite of reason since no evidence is required for faith. No insult, just fact.
Faith is having complete trust in something or someone. I never put complete trust in something or someone without good reason. So while you may believe faith is unrelated to reason, I believe faith is 100% related to reason.

Forum List

Back