White Privilege in American Society

From what you read in this forum, do you believe that the majority of those posting here have what could be called "minority friends"?
You don't understand the demographics of this country very well.

Even the whitest small towns have more than a few non-white people living all over.

It is far more likely that many black posters on here can go days without so much as seeing a white person in the flesh. The blackest cities and towns are almost entirely black.

That so contrary to reality.
You are literally clueless.

I apologize, I didn't realize you were talking about cities and towns in Africa.
No moron, I am talking about south Florida.

Here's something you may not know. Since the invention of modern transportation, even towns that are racially homogenous don't have citizens that don't regularly meet others of different races. If they do, it's by choice. And due to the racial makeup of this country, black folks don't have that choice without extreme inconvenience.

Seriously I'm not sure.

I recall growing up, in a middle class mostly white suburb in the 70s.

I heard of lots of racism in the press. But not in my community or my family.

So, I assumed that my family and neighborhood was exceptional.

I grew older and moved into a wider world.

And still kept hearing about how racist the world was, and I started to note that it was never were I was.

Then I heard that the city I was in was supposedly, according to activist was very racist. When I could see that that was not true.

Then I realized that all those reports of how racist America supposedly was, WAS directed at my family and community. That those who were making those accusation were talking about people that I knew very well were NOT racist.

Now follow up question.....I can only assume you're white. How many black friends can you find to ask about their experiences?

I mean black or minority friends that you can trust to tell it without an agenda.

Why? Are my observations less valid because of my skin color?

Not really. But you might not observe things unless they happen to you. That's why I am asking you to find a minority friend who can tell you their observations, based on their experiences.

Sincerely.

I've observed my family and communitie(s) and civic group(s) and peers include minorities without comment, for decades.

It's different from talking to someone.

Yep. Personal observations are my direct experience, instead of filtered though another person, who's preconceived notions might incorrectly perceive racism when there is none.

Now follow up question.....I can only assume you're white. How many black friends can you find to ask about their experiences?

I mean black or minority friends that you can trust to tell it without an agenda.

Not really. But you might not observe things unless they happen to you. That's why I am asking you to find a minority friend who can tell you their observations, based on their experiences.

Sincerely.

I've observed my family and communitie(s) and civic group(s) and peers include minorities without comment, for decades.

Yep. Personal observations are my direct experience, instead of filtered though another person, who's preconceived notions might incorrectly perceive racism when there is none.

So instead you just have your observations, filtered through preconceived notions that racism doesn't exist.

Interesting.

Sincerely.

So instead you just have your observations, filtered through preconceived notions that racism doesn't exist.

Interesting.

As I stated, I originally believed that what I heard in the media, and concluded that my family and friends were exceptional.

It took a time and more specific accusations before I realized that what I was hearing was NOT fitting with what I was directly observing.

I recall one college class where some lib read an essay about the "INvisible man" and how we ignore him and don't talk to him or invite him to our homes.

He was talking about blacks of course. And I was beginning to realize that libs were full of it, because, at that time, I had plenty of black friends who weren't even invited to my home. THey just knew they were welcome to drop by whenever. And they did.

Sincerely.

Interesting.

As I stated, I originally believed that what I heard in the media, and concluded that my family and friends were exceptional.

It took a time and more specific accusations before I realized that what I was hearing was NOT fitting with what I was directly observing.

I recall one college class where some lib read an essay about the "INvisible man" and how we ignore him and don't talk to him or invite him to our homes.

He was talking about blacks of course. And I was beginning to realize that libs were full of it, because, at that time, I had plenty of black friends who weren't even invited to my home. THey just knew they were welcome to drop by whenever. And they did.

Well, that clears it up. One overly sensitive student means that racism doesn't exist.

So those black friends of yours.....why don't you ask them about their experiences? I mean, I specified that it be someone you know, that you trust, who won't suit stories to an agenda.

Interesting.

Well, that clears it up. One overly sensitive student means that racism doesn't exist.

So those black friends of yours.....why don't you ask them about their experiences? I mean, I specified that it be someone you know, that you trust, who won't suit stories to an agenda.

I did, back in the day. We discussed politics and race.

And I recall, especially once some of them got sucked into the race baiting industry, some of the things they suddenly realized were racist.

Hilarious nonsense.

Interesting.

And I recall, especially once some of them got sucked into the race baiting industry, some of the things they suddenly realized were racist.

Hilarious nonsense.

So, rather than take their experiences at face value, you doubted their motives.

White privilege is not necessarily committing a crime but more along the lines of how you are treated on a daily basis compared to that of the rest of the racial community. Such as not getting stopped by the police because they have now noticed a "suspicious" black man. Perfectly obeying the law but unlawfully detaining him and searching him anyway. (The officer facing 0 repercussions) You don't know this happened yet you was saved from your seatbelt ticket.. Can you honestly sit there and deny that the black community is not targeted by everyone and looked down upon even the slightest little bit whether you are committing something as heinous as a hate crime to simply avoiding the black guy who was walking down the same road as you...

...Or how 'bout when white people get to park in the fire lane at the grocery store because they happen to know all the cops by their first names!

...Or when the cameras at the ATM see they white, it gives them extra cash!

Pisses me off, man.

And let's not forget the Asian privilege as well. They get accepted into college at a 50% higher rate than whites or blacks.

Lol. Issues like what? The opioid epidemic? Suicide?

Yeah, actually....among others.

How do you suppose white people tackle those problems when we are socially mandated to integrate our every activity?

You fools couldn't even handle the Tea Party when they weren't even racially oriented, so I doubt you could handle an unapologetically white-oriented group that specifically combats drug abuse and depression in poor
Seriously I'm not sure.

I recall growing up, in a middle class mostly white suburb in the 70s.

I heard of lots of racism in the press. But not in my community or my family.

So, I assumed that my family and neighborhood was exceptional.

I grew older and moved into a wider world.

And still kept hearing about how racist the world was, and I started to note that it was never were I was.

Then I heard that the city I was in was supposedly, according to activist was very racist. When I could see that that was not true.

Then I realized that all those reports of how racist America supposedly was, WAS directed at my family and community. That those who were making those accusation were talking about people that I knew very well were NOT racist.

Sincerely.[/QU

Sincerely.

From what you read in this forum, do you believe that the majority of those posting here have what could be called "minority friends"?

You don't understand the demographics of this country very well.

Even the whitest small towns have more than a few non-white people living all over.

It is far more likely that many black posters on here can go days without so much as seeing a white person in the flesh. The blackest cities and towns are almost entirely black.

I think you are quite mistaken.
My guess is that judging from your myopic, "poor me" view of society that you have not ventured very far out of Kentucky.

I've been to the majority of the states in this country and been outside of it numerous times as well, and if you had also experienced the same type of travel, you would know that by sheer mathematics and relative population size, that black people(excluding those who lack the resources to travel) encounter white people at a much higher rate than vice versa.

It is humorous how you will state almost anything, just to spark an immature argument to try to prove a point.......no matter how ridiculous it may sound.

Last edited:
What's up peeps? So I am a 22 year old white guy.. I have been wondering for sometime what exactly white privilege is and what it means to have this thing called white privilege. I must admit that when I first heard this term it seemed almost a sarcstic slur and I was somewhat offended..like really? You are telling me I'm special and it makes me a bad person? I felt as if I was being targeted and blamed for having been born as a white man. Well to answer my own question yes and no...and not in the sense as i first took it.

Ok so first question i faced while trying to understand this is What does white privilege even mean? I have come to define it as- a society built upon white heritage and the sucess of a white person based off being white and the ignorance of this.

What do I mean? America was founded upon white religon..only focusing on the prosperity of this establishment. Even though America is a "free" country where you should experience these "freedoms" despite race, religion, and nationality the fact remains that it was founded and built around white religion and thus deems anything not of the nature as wrong in societies view. (Not going to indulge myself with the religion topic) Whether you realize this or not it happens on a day to day basis in America. For example maybe the black man had a better resume but you hired the white guy because he seemed "more professional" (subconscious: not black) ..it could be anything like this. The number of examples are endless to say the least. Now am I saying that all white people are born to be successful? Or that black people are born doomed to be failures? Umm no not at all in the end you will be as successful as you make yourself you have to put the time and energy into your goals to achieve them.

Knowingly or not, society in America has been built to favor white people. We (the white community) are ignorant to the fact of this white privilege..which in turn enables this to continue throughout the generations. Does this mean you are racist because you are ignorant to this? No, this just means nothing is being done to correct this in society. Becoming aware of this and implementing ways of fixing this is one of the many steps (in my opinion) in eliminating racism in America. Am I a bad person for being born white? No not at all, being a good or bad person is entirely up to ones self...while I may not be proud of the decisions and actions of some of my ancestors...I can't change the past. I can't change the fact that I am white. I can change the way I view things.

In conclusion I feel like this is a valid, existent issue in America. The first step in fixing this is realizing it exists..being self- aware. Next is raising awareness to it and finally change... Change..a law, an opinion, anything that essentially favors any one person or race. (Aiming the "change" thing outside of just white privilege alone)

If you made it this far sorry for the long post and thank you for taking the time to read it. I accept any and all opinions of my personal opinion. Please let me know your thoughts, agrees and disagrees.

Completely disagree. Asians do just fine in society, despite having actual long and heavily documented discrimination. If you really cared about discrimination, whether intended or unintended, you'd be looking into that. It's been going on for years, non of the social justice warriors have made a peep.

What laws are you proposing to change? FWI you've already reached your threshold for awareness.

This isn't a matter of laws.. or about Asians or blacks.. It is about how in society white people are perceived in a different light subconsciously. Everyone discriminates. It could be the homeless man on the corner or the kids on the skateboard or maybe even the guy with the tank top covered in tattoos.. you personally may not see an issue with these examples.. but you also do this in your own way. Nobody is perfect. My point is subconsciously you pick and choose who you might walk up and start a conversation with based on appearance...

Now say your average looking white guy a black man with dreads and tattoos and an Asian man on a skateboard are going down the street... who is most likely to be looked down on? Who is most likely going to be avoided? Who is most likely that you would engage in a natural conversation with? Now let's switch it up a little... one of these men is a killer...who would you most likely assume it to be? Think about it you may post some bs denying it but automatically in your brain the average white guy was innocent.. you most likely assumed that it was the black man who "looked like a gang banger"? Why?

What's up peeps? So I am a 22 year old white guy.. I have been wondering for sometime what exactly white privilege is and what it means to have this thing called white privilege. I must admit that when I first heard this term it seemed almost a sarcstic slur and I was somewhat offended..like really? You are telling me I'm special and it makes me a bad person? I felt as if I was being targeted and blamed for having been born as a white man. Well to answer my own question yes and no...and not in the sense as i first took it.

Ok so first question i faced while trying to understand this is What does white privilege even mean? I have come to define it as- a society built upon white heritage and the sucess of a white person based off being white and the ignorance of this.

What do I mean? America was founded upon white religon..only focusing on the prosperity of this establishment. Even though America is a "free" country where you should experience these "freedoms" despite race, religion, and nationality the fact remains that it was founded and built around white religion and thus deems anything not of the nature as wrong in societies view. (Not going to indulge myself with the religion topic) Whether you realize this or not it happens on a day to day basis in America. For example maybe the black man had a better resume but you hired the white guy because he seemed "more professional" (subconscious: not black) ..it could be anything like this. The number of examples are endless to say the least. Now am I saying that all white people are born to be successful? Or that black people are born doomed to be failures? Umm no not at all in the end you will be as successful as you make yourself you have to put the time and energy into your goals to achieve them.

Knowingly or not, society in America has been built to favor white people. We (the white community) are ignorant to the fact of this white privilege..which in turn enables this to continue throughout the generations. Does this mean you are racist because you are ignorant to this? No, this just means nothing is being done to correct this in society. Becoming aware of this and implementing ways of fixing this is one of the many steps (in my opinion) in eliminating racism in America. Am I a bad person for being born white? No not at all, being a good or bad person is entirely up to ones self...while I may not be proud of the decisions and actions of some of my ancestors...I can't change the past. I can't change the fact that I am white. I can change the way I view things.

In conclusion I feel like this is a valid, existent issue in America. The first step in fixing this is realizing it exists..being self- aware. Next is raising awareness to it and finally change... Change..a law, an opinion, anything that essentially favors any one person or race. (Aiming the "change" thing outside of just white privilege alone)

If you made it this far sorry for the long post and thank you for taking the time to read it. I accept any and all opinions of my personal opinion. Please let me know your thoughts, agrees and disagrees.

Assuming you're not just a computer generated algorithm, but also knowing for certain you're not a cognizant human being with an independent thought or critical analytical skills I can only recommend that you kill yourself.

You would have been aborted or starved to death if nature was left to do it's dirty work but in spite of the process of natural selection you've defied the odds.

Congratulations.

View attachment 120108
How about instead of bashing me and saying that i should just kill myself you come up with an intelligent rebutle and give me a definitive reason for why you disagree. One that is on topic with my reasoning and not one that changes the subject from what it is...if you or anyone else on here that keeps doing these things are actually capable of doing so.

No one likes to think that they are getting some sort of unearned advantage in this life...especially when life seems difficult enough.

But you're correct; white privilege is a fact of our lives, and it's just a thumb on the scales of success. Recognizing it is the first, and I think, hardest step, because of the pure defensiveness like you've seen on this thread.
Yea.. I've definitely noticed lol

That was an EPIC FAIL at deflecting and tap dancing. Very wordy but without any substance....more like a defense of something non existent or even worse, personal denial that there is in fact a problem that is likely imagined. I would not waste any time or effort in psychoanalysis of what plaugues you, because it is clearly obvious.

Speaking for myself, If I was ever going to be "unstable" it would have been many decades ago when the worst of bigotry and backward, prejudice was a hallmark of American culture.

But I decided long ago, that the best revenge was to live well, be unsympathetic towards those wishing the worst on me and my family and above all, not be caught in a compromising situation that would enable racist scum to use me as an example.

So no, you do not invoke anything in me except amusement.

Mainly due to how you have convinced yourself that you and your ilk are somehow under siege.

You've never sat in the back of a bus as mandated by law nor have you been refused service in a public establishment based on your race.

You have never watched your elders cower in fear publicly or refer to someone many years younger than them as "sir or ma'am" because it was expected if not demanded.

So I cannot help but chuckle at your insistence that you are somehow marginalized.

Truthfully, I don't hope that you snap, because mass shooters always harm people who are better than they are..but I will say that your ramblings are reminiscent of some of the rhetoric left behind by some of the recent mass shooters who have been apprehended after losing their grip on reality.

That being said, good luck in whatever cause it is that you think you are a self appointed crusader for. I count myself and mine as fortunate that you are far away down there in Kentucky.
LOL

Do you even understand what "irony" is?

You are literally calling a fully matured man, a "boy" because it is 100% acceptable in a supposedly "politically correct" and "tolerant" society to call full grown white men a "boy" AND expect white men to just take that while you pretend that is THEY who are the potential bigots that need to be trained to accept people different from themselves. YOU just proved how right I am without any effort on my part, and you are likely too stupid to even realize it.

The evil that white people are subjected to is actually on a whole new level from anything your ancestors went through, because now the racists and segregationists are "progressive" and are propagated by the mass media as morally superior to the egalitarian opposition trying to stop them. At this rate white people will be forced to re-name themselves Kunta Kinte under threat of beating in about 20 years, and social justice warriors will film it for pay-per-view.

Dude, you are beyond hilarious. Frankly I do not personally care if you are white, brown, yellow or somewhere in between. I have no desire for personal racial conflict with you people or anyone else, but you can rest assured that the younger generation of my family is being taught to see the signs of aggression.....and NO, I do not mean "night rider's" or cross burning, toothless, beer guzzling, cretins.

I can recall my own grandfather when he was nearly 70 being referred to as "boy" by some Klucker who was about your age.

The big difference between then and now is that back then, it was considered to be acceptable to refer to older black men as "boy" in order to demean and deny their adulthood.

I am not disputing that you are over 21 or that the law defines you as an adult.

I merely pointed out that there are some obvious indicators in your written words that lack maturity or evidence of much life experience.

If that hurts your feelings, then grow a thicker skin.

Besides that, if some stranger on an anonymous web site can visibly annoy you by not paying homage to your "manhood", you are way too fragile to assume a leadership role in any type of movement for change as you claim to aspire to.

White men of all ages are called "white boys" all the time, it is just what some people literally think is acceptable because society does NOTHING but encourage it( ESPN’s Rose apologizes for calling Gronkowski “white boy wasted” , Production Begins On "White Boy Rick" , )all the while teaching impressionable children that "microaggressions" are the worst thing ever.

If I don't fight shit like this, I sure as hell won't get anywhere on the bigger issues plaguing white people.

How do you suppose white people tackle those problems when we are socially mandated to integrate our every activity?

You fools couldn't even handle the Tea Party when they weren't even racially oriented, so I doubt you could handle an unapologetically white-oriented group that specifically combats drug abuse and depression in poor white communities.

You expect everyone to go along with the bullshit that BLM spews when its entire foundation is based on a lie, but you would scream bloody murder if there was a WLM that is based on verifiable facts, THAT is a massive example of how stupid the notion of "white privilege" is, THAT is also privilege.

The fact you are saying it's unfair that BLM exists proves you feel entitled and that the white race should have everything... Dude seriously? The fact is white people was not put on boats forced to come to America. Fprced to endure all of the heinous things that slaves had to. Do you think Hitler was bad? America was 10x worse.. literally slaughtered Any one who was different and the ones we didn't kill they raped the women and put the children to work.. Could you have survived? I can't even begin to actually imagine everything that they as African Americans had to go through..even still after so long and through the new generations still suffer from in some way shape or form simply for being different. This is White America.. This is the land of the free...if you are white. And when someone starts a movement such as BLM it is bashed and you think you deserve a WLM? It exists already what cause is there for something that already exist? But you want to throw a tantrum because "Kunta" over there has the train you wanna play with.. seriously you need to be put in time out or something with your childish ass. You and people like you are the PROBLEM. grow tf up

White privilege is not necessarily committing a crime but more along the lines of how you are treated on a daily basis compared to that of the rest of the racial community. Such as not getting stopped by the police because they have now noticed a "suspicious" black man. Perfectly obeying the law but unlawfully detaining him and searching him anyway. (The officer facing 0 repercussions) You don't know this happened yet you was saved from your seatbelt ticket.. Can you honestly sit there and deny that the black community is not targeted by everyone and looked down upon even the slightest little bit whether you are committing something as heinous as a hate crime to simply avoiding the black guy who was walking down the same road as you...

...Or how 'bout when white people get to park in the fire lane at the grocery store because they happen to know all the cops by their first names!

Pisses me off, man.

And let's not forget the Asian privilege as well. They get accepted into college at a 50% higher rate than whites or blacks.
Sarcasm noted...but not an intelligent rebutle all in the same.. Do you have a point at all? Or just bored?

LOL

Do you even understand what "irony" is?

You are literally calling a fully matured man, a "boy" because it is 100% acceptable in a supposedly "politically correct" and "tolerant" society to call full grown white men a "boy" AND expect white men to just take that while you pretend that is THEY who are the potential bigots that need to be trained to accept people different from themselves. YOU just proved how right I am without any effort on my part, and you are likely too stupid to even realize it.

The evil that white people are subjected to is actually on a whole new level from anything your ancestors went through, because now the racists and segregationists are "progressive" and are propagated by the mass media as morally superior to the egalitarian opposition trying to stop them. At this rate white people will be forced to re-name themselves Kunta Kinte under threat of beating in about 20 years, and social justice warriors will film it for pay-per-view.

Dude, you are beyond hilarious. Frankly I do not personally care if you are white, brown, yellow or somewhere in between. I have no desire for personal racial conflict with you people or anyone else, but you can rest assured that the younger generation of my family is being taught to see the signs of aggression.....and NO, I do not mean "night rider's" or cross burning, toothless, beer guzzling, cretins.

I can recall my own grandfather when he was nearly 70 being referred to as "boy" by some Klucker who was about your age.

The big difference between then and now is that back then, it was considered to be acceptable to refer to older black men as "boy" in order to demean and deny their adulthood.

I am not disputing that you are over 21 or that the law defines you as an adult.

I merely pointed out that there are some obvious indicators in your written words that lack maturity or evidence of much life experience.

If that hurts your feelings, then grow a thicker skin.

Besides that, if some stranger on an anonymous web site can visibly annoy you by not paying homage to your "manhood", you are way too fragile to assume a leadership role in any type of movement for change as you claim to aspire to.

White men of all ages are called "white boys" all the time, it is just what some people literally think is acceptable because society does NOTHING but encourage it( ESPN’s Rose apologizes for calling Gronkowski “white boy wasted” , Production Begins On "White Boy Rick" , )all the while teaching impressionable children that "microaggressions" are the worst thing ever.

If I don't fight shit like this, I sure as hell won't get anywhere on the bigger issues plaguing white people.

You fools couldn't even handle the Tea Party when they weren't even racially oriented, so I doubt you could handle an unapologetically white-oriented group that specifically combats drug abuse and depression in poor white communities.

You expect everyone to go along with the bullshit that BLM spews when its entire foundation is based on a lie, but you would scream bloody murder if there was a WLM that is based on verifiable facts, THAT is a massive example of how stupid the notion of "white privilege" is, THAT is also privilege.

The fact you are saying it's unfair that BLM exists proves you feel entitled and that the white race should have everything... Dude seriously? The fact is white people was not put on boats forced to come to America. Fprced to endure all of the heinous things that slaves had to. Do you think Hitler was bad? America was 10x worse.. literally slaughtered Any one who was different and the ones we didn't kill they raped the women and put the children to work.. Could you have survived? I can't even begin to actually imagine everything that they as African Americans had to go through..even still after so long and through the new generations still suffer from in some way shape or form simply for being different. This is White America.. This is the land of the free...if you are white. And when someone starts a movement such as BLM it is bashed and you think you deserve a WLM? It exists already what cause is there for something that already exist? But you want to throw a tantrum because "Kunta" over there has the train you wanna play with.. seriously you need to be put in time out or something with your childish ass. You and people like you are the PROBLEM. grow tf up

Most people who were bashing BLM as you say, wern't doing it because they were black, and because they exist, but they were being criticized for their behavior, getting in peoples faces and shouting them down. They may have a right to do that, but when you do, criticism comes with the territory.

Pisses me off, man.

Sarcasm noted...but not an intelligent rebutle all in the same.. Do you have a point at all? Or just bored?

Really? Someone died and made you bouncer of intelligence?

My point is this:

ANY meme or trope like "White Privilege" is as inherently racist as Sen. Byrd's infamous "White ******" comments. We can't begin to heal our racial divides until we can begin seeing each other as individuals not defined by race. We've got to stop freaking out that people look different. You're young, this starts with your generation.

Pay attention to the message of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., a pastor from one of those "white religions" you mentioned. Judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.

Until we ALL put down this Sword of Race we use against one another, we can never realize Dr. King's Dream. It can't exist. Sometimes it shocks me that our society has come so far from the mid 1960s to now, but there is currently more racial divide or disharmony than anytime in my life. I grew up in the mid 60s in Birmingham, Alabama.

Interesting.

Hilarious nonsense.

So, rather than take their experiences at face value, you doubted their motives.

1. Are you taking my experiences at face value?

2. I didn't doubt their motives, I doubted their conclusions.

Interesting.

Hilarious nonsense.

1. No.

2. Did all of your black friends come to the same conclusions?

Hilarious nonsense.

1. No.

1 You seem to expect me to take their experiences at face value while not taking mine at face value. What's the difference? Are white people's experiences less valid?

2. No.

Hilarious nonsense.

1. No.

1 You seem to expect me to take their experiences at face value while not taking mine at face value. What's the difference? Are white people's experiences less valid?

2. No.

1. I asked you, from the first, to ask minority friends, who don't have an agenda, about their experiences. I don't know you, we're not friends, but you clearly have an agenda. My skepticism is not about race at all.

2. You're just so vague about these stories. Full of detail about the one black student feeling invisible (which you discounted), and concluding that other friends bought into the "race baiting industry." I'm so curious how you talk to these friends about race and their experiences. Did you tell them that you thought they were wrong?

I thInk communication is important. It's not important that you convince me or that I convince you; really, I just wanted to give you something to ponder. But it can only happen if you're willing to listen to others.

Forum List

Back