Veganism and the Bible

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
In Genesis, God only allowed Adam and Eve to eat meat after the fall of man, prior to that, he offered them only the fruits of the trees.

Some have used this as a Christian case for veganism - what are your thoughts?

That is a good question, and correct. The first we hear of an animal being killed is when God slaughtered one to temporarily cover Adam's and Eve's sin with the blood of an animal until Christ shed His blood for them, once and for all.
Eating meat and sacrificing animals continued after that with Adam and Eve's children.

We are told of a new covenant between God and the animals here by Hosea:
And in that day will I make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven, and with the creeping things of the ground: and I will break the bow and the sword and the battle out of the earth, and will make them to lie down safely.

And Timothy brings the point home:
Now, the Spirit speaketh expressly that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons. Speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their conscience seared with a hot iron; forbidding to marry and commanding to abstain from meats which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving, of them which believe and know the truth.

We have such a loving Father that if one decides to abstain from eating meat to honor God, God counts it as righteousness on their part.
If one decides to eat meat to honor God, God counts it as righteousness on their part.
I imagine God's first choice was the preferred one, but He is flexible when it comes to His children...:eusa_angel:

In Genesis, God only allowed Adam and Eve to eat meat after the fall of man, prior to that, he offered them only the fruits of the trees.

Veganism is beyond the Bible and any religious thoughts, except maybe Buddhism.
It’s about human ethics and respect for ALL animals, human AND non-human.

• Banned

That's still a faith-based or religious belief - or philosophical, if you prefer that term to "religious".

I don't tend to disagree with it, but that is what it is.

That diet was given when Adam and Eve where in the Garden of Eden.

Actually we are not living in the Garden of Eden.

Well said.

That is a good question, and correct. The first we hear of an animal being killed is when God slaughtered one to temporarily cover Adam's and Eve's sin with the blood of an animal until Christ shed His blood for them, once and for all.
Eating meat and sacrificing animals continued after that with Adam and Eve's children.

We are told of a new covenant between God and the animals here by Hosea:
And in that day will I make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven, and with the creeping things of the ground: and I will break the bow and the sword and the battle out of the earth, and will make them to lie down safely.

And Timothy brings the point home:
Now, the Spirit speaketh expressly that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons. Speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their conscience seared with a hot iron; forbidding to marry and commanding to abstain from meats which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving, of them which believe and know the truth.

We have such a loving Father that if one decides to abstain from eating meat to honor God, God counts it as righteousness on their part.
If one decides to eat meat to honor God, God counts it as righteousness on their part.
I imagine God's first choice was the preferred one, but He is flexible when it comes to His children...:eusa_angel:

It seems there are a few mistakes in these observations. At the fall, there was not permission from God for having meat from animals, which was not in the perfect design from God for us in the beginning. Permission from God for that did not come until after the global flood, when there couldn't be adequate edible vegetation growing then for food. It was certainly not meant to last, according to prophecies, and the permission is conditional, meat from animals should only be had when animals used for that were slaughtered without abuse to them, and blood in the meat is all removed before being cooked. These things are being neglected, not being obedient to God's requirements, and it meeting these requirements is not possible in having meat from animal agriculture in our age.

Sacrifice began earlier but the text never actually shows it was a sacrifice to God when skins were given to Adam and Eve.

The Epistle to Timothy was addressing a heretical cult with many commands to followers, not to vegans, who are not commanding You as followers of a cult, but just share information to you. The scripture is misapplied to this, ignoring what is actually said and its context.

Jesus already settle this matter 2000 years ago concerning what go into the mouth and out the belly.

Mat 15:7
Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

Mat 15:8
This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Mat 15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mat 15:10
And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand

Mat 15:11
Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Mat 15:12
Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

Mat 15:13
But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

Mat 15:14
Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Mat 15:15
Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.

Mat 15:16
And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

Mat 15:17
Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

Mat 15:18
But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Mat 15:19
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Mat 15:20
These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

The spiritual nature of tribes of hosts are described with animals, tree parts, coastal haven and delicious tidbits (words). That is the twelve that come from Jacob.

i.e. Judah is describe as a lion's whelp, Issachar an ass, Dan a serpent biting the heels of the horses riders, Naphtali a loosed hind, Benjamin a wolf devouring and dividing the spoil:

Gen 49:9 Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up?

Gen 49:14 Issachar is a strong ass couching down between two burdens:

Gen 49:17 Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

Gen 49:21 Naphtali is a hind let loose: he giveth goodly words.

Gen 49:27 Benjamin shall ravin as a wolf: in the morning he shall devour the prey, and at night he shall divide the spoil.

Words are seeds and spiritual experiences that can be planted or of a nature that can feed, nurture and provide sustenance. Your mind is a garden which can grow weeds, flowers or fruit and it can even be given highly nutritional spiritual meat as a prime sustenance unless you are still a sucking incapable of processing anything but light milk.

Last edited:
Think about this.

Jesus ate fish, and fish is not a seed-bearing plant and neither fruit with seed in it.

Jesus ate lamb. Every year, when Passover is commemorated (followed by the Feast of unleavened bread), the Israelite were to clean up their houses from yeast, to select and prepare a lamb and sacrificed it. The meat was eaten by the members of each family. Jesus family was to obey and follow the commemoration.

Having the same messiah eating other than vegetables and fruits, when you become a vegan "because the first chapter of genesis" say so, actually... what is your point? Being holier than Jesus perhaps?

When you catch a fish, this "poor animal" will fight for survival. Jesus didn't bother at all when his disciples had tens of fish suffering inside their nets. What is this for you? That Jesus allowed and condoned animal cruelty?

Think.

If you are using the scriptures to say that we must become vegans, remember than doing so you are also saying Jesus didn't respect the life of animals, and that goes against your own faith.

Where does this say that the Lord killed animals to clothe Adam and his Eve? You are correct if you say it doesn't.

Genesis 3:21
Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

coats
coats, robe, cover.PNG

clothed
clothed, armed.PNG

Jesus already settle this matter 2000 years ago concerning what go into the mouth and out the belly.

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

The spiritual nature of tribes of hosts are described with animals, tree parts, coastal haven and delicious tidbits (words). That is the twelve that come from Jacob.

i.e. Judah is describe as a lion's whelp, Issachar an ass, Dan a serpent biting the heels of the horses riders, Naphtali a loosed hind, Benjamin a wolf devouring and dividing the spoil:

Gen 49:9 Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up?

Gen 49:17 Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

Gen 49:27 Benjamin shall ravin as a wolf: in the morning he shall devour the prey, and at night he shall divide the spoil.

Words are seeds and spiritual experiences that can be planted or of a nature that can feed, nurture and provide sustenance. Your mind is a garden which can grow weeds, flowers or fruit and it can even be given highly nutritional spiritual meat as a prime sustenance unless you are still a sucking incapable of processing anything but light milk.

Your conclusion is very wrong. Like most avid meat-eaters who point to specific bible verses, you are starting off with your preconceived position and then working backwards to find scriptures that you believe justify it. When it comes to any topic, for Christians we need to look at the bible as a whole, not search for specific scriptures that appear to justify whatever it is one is arguing.

In response to what you just brought up, I'm going to paste something written by a friend who has a website that promotes mercy toward animals, and he deals with these same scriptures all the time.

Yes, Jesus says that in Matthew 15:11 and in Mark 7:15 in response to the Pharisees accusing his disciples of being defiled because they ate with unwashed hands. The point Jesus was making with this statement is that the Pharisees placed greater importance on their own traditions than they did on following God’s instructions and that it is their lack of acknowledgement of God’s instructions that defiles them.

So even though it had nothing to do with justifying which kinds of food are acceptable to eat, let’s assume for the sake of argument that it did and that we are seeking to base our dietary decisions on it. What logical conclusion would that lead us to?

If you say you do everything in love (as it says to do in 1 Corinthians 16:14), yet your attitude and actions toward animals suggest anything but love, then what is coming out of your mouth are lies and it is those lies that defile you.

God is love (1 John 4:16) and his word is truth (John 17:17). The devil is the father of lies (John 8:44). We should be very careful not to forsake love in favor of serving the desires of the flesh (Philippians 3:19). And we should be just as careful not to cover up what we are doing with lies the way David twice tried to cover up his affair with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11). Instead we should confess our mistakes and turn away from them (Proverbs 28:13; 1 John 1:9). We should love mercy (Micah 6:8) rather than the bloodthirsty appetites of the flesh (Galatians 5:24).

As a Christian, and a vegan, I have put a lot of thought into this. I can honestly say that based on everything that I have seen, researched and learned, I firmly believe that Christians should be vegan. And not only that, but we should be leading the way! That of course is not happening right now, and I think there are a few reasons for that. I think it boils down to mainly two things: misunderstanding certain important biblical teachings, and also, a sort of a collective blindness among Christians on this particular issue. I was included in that, so I get it. I have always loved animals, my whole life, but at the same time I loved eating meat and I even said on more than one occasion, "I could NEVER be a vegan or vegetarian." A few years before I went vegan, I began to wonder about the incongruity of loving animals and opposing the mistreatment of animals, yet eating meat. I even wrote a short blog post about that, which was me sort of thinking out loud, and beginning to question whether or not one can be an animal lover yet eat meat. The very fact that the answer wasn't obvious to me SHOWS that blindness I mentioned earlier.

I look at it this way. Think of a scale. As a Christian, when you look at all the reasons to eat meat and use animal products on one side.... and all the reasons NOT to on the other side, the reasons not to overwhelmingly outweigh anything on the other side, so much so that one would have to either be a hypocrite or willfully blind to continue on using animals for our own selfish reasons.

Your conclusion is very wrong. Like most avid meat-eaters who point to specific bible verses, you are starting off with your preconceived position and then working backwards to find scriptures that you believe justify it. When it comes to any topic, for Christians we need to look at the bible as a whole, not search for specific scriptures that appear to justify whatever it is one is arguing.

It seems very clear to me that that is exactly what you have been doing—selectively cherry-picking a few scattered verses out of the Bible that can be twisted to support vegetarianism, while ignoring many, many others, that refute your view on the subject.

In response to what you just brought up, I'm going to paste something written by a friend who has a website that promotes mercy toward animals, and he deals with these same scriptures all the time.

Yes, Jesus says that in Matthew 15:11 and in Mark 7:15 in response to the Pharisees accusing his disciples of being defiled because they ate with unwashed hands. The point Jesus was making with this statement is that the Pharisees placed greater importance on their own traditions than they did on following God’s instructions and that it is their lack of acknowledgement of God’s instructions that defiles them.

So even though it had nothing to do with justifying which kinds of food are acceptable to eat, let’s assume for the sake of argument that it did and that we are seeking to base our dietary decisions on it. What logical conclusion would that lead us to?

If you say you do everything in love (as it says to do in 1 Corinthians 16:14), yet your attitude and actions toward animals suggest anything but love, then what is coming out of your mouth are lies and it is those lies that defile you.

God is love (1 John 4:16) and his word is truth (John 17:17). The devil is the father of lies (John 8:44). We should be very careful not to forsake love in favor of serving the desires of the flesh (Philippians 3:19). And we should be just as careful not to cover up what we are doing with lies the way David twice tried to cover up his affair with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11). Instead we should confess our mistakes and turn away from them (Proverbs 28:13; 1 John 1:9). We should love mercy (Micah 6:8) rather than the bloodthirsty appetites of the flesh (Galatians 5:24).

The point he was making was that it all goes into the mouth and turns to shit; whereas what you say on the other hand goes into someones mind and you can be polluting their thoughts with your Babylonian assumptions.

Jesus crucified the carnal flesh. He taught about the spirit and you want to usurp his teachings as if you know what will happen to someone else when they stand before God when you have no clue or knowledge of what God will or will not do concerning another person.

Better you read on further and do a whole hell of a lot or praying for discernment and knowledge because you are lacking in more ways than one as you attempt to mix and stir your batch of confusion to push your own personal agenda.

It seems very clear to me that that is exactly what you have been doing—selectively cherry-picking a few scattered verses out of the Bible that can be twisted to support vegetarianism, while ignoring many, many others, that refute your view on the subject.

That is demonstrably untrue. I'm looking at the BIG picture and the totality of commands and teachings in the bible. We went over this on the other thread, but you continually ignored all the most important points.

You ignore God's original intent for all of creation, which was peace and harmony, and a 100% plantbased diet.

You ignore God's plan to restore that peace and harmony that existed in the beginning. And He WILL do that.

You ignore God's ideal, which we also know by how heaven is described. God's ideal is no killing or suffering or cruelty.

You ignore that Jesus taught us to want and pray for God's kingdom to come and God's will to be done, ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN.

You ignore the countless scriptures commanding us to have MERCY, to love and to be kind and to seek peace, as much as it is within our power.

You ignore the fact that your entire position is based on the result of SIN, in this fallen world, and not God's intent for mankind, or perfect will.

Instead of looking at the bigger picture, you and others like you try to justify your position which exalts the ways of this fallen world by searching for specific scriptures and loopholes, instead of doing sincere, genuine soul-searching, seeking GOD and learning about how GOD feels about billions of His precious creations being needlessly exploited, terrorized and brutally slaughtered for humanity's own selfish reasons.

So your comment is completely backwards.

That is demonstrably untrue. I'm looking at the BIG picture and the totality of commands and teachings in the bible. We went over this on the other thread, but you continually ignored all the most important points.

You ignore God's original intent for all of creation, which was peace and harmony, and a 100% plantbased diet.

You ignore God's plan to restore that peace and harmony that existed in the beginning. And He WILL do that.

You ignore God's ideal, which we also know by how heaven is described. God's ideal is no killing or suffering or cruelty.

You ignore that Jesus taught us to want and pray for God's kingdom to come and God's will to be done, ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN.

You ignore the countless scriptures commanding us to have MERCY, to love and to be kind and to seek peace, as much as it is within our power.

You ignore the fact that your entire position is based on the result of SIN, in this fallen world, and not God's intent for mankind, or perfect will.

Instead of looking at the bigger picture, you and others like you try to justify your position which exalts the ways of this fallen world by searching for specific scriptures and loopholes, instead of doing sincere, genuine soul-searching, seeking GOD and learning about how GOD feels about billions of His precious creations being needlessly exploited, terrorized and brutally slaughtered for humanity's own selfish reasons.

So your comment is completely backwards.
No I ignore you and your ridiculous precepts, I ignore your confusion and your agenda based crap. That was done in an attempt to have mercy on you because you are one ignorant prideful deceitful little snot that does not know that the shit you are pushing is nasty and not in truth at all when it comes to knowing what will transpire or what has transpired when anyone stands in the presence of the throne of God. You talked about heaven but you haven't a clue. Have you been there? Have you actually stood in the presence of God? No you haven't but you sure do think you have a right to judge others and twist the Word to meet your agenda based crap.

You want to seek God then you better start examining yourself first. I care more what happens to the people that those animals feed than the animals. I never said anyone should be cruel to them or that they should not be care for in a humane manner while they are being raised to feed the people that I like to see fed.

I read my husband what you wrote and he was in full agreement with me "she's whacko" but he added some other words in that to describe you and told me to respond to you in such a manner but I declined and attempted to be as kind as possible instead but that isn't good enough for you.

People and animals again both eat meat. Too bad you don't like that but that is the way creation was created to be here in this world; and it will remain that away here in this world.

Take your carnal precepts and shove them where the sun doesn't shine. That means you have several choices of where to put them.

No I ignore you and your ridiculous precepts, I ignore your confusion and your agenda based crap. That was done in an attempt to have mercy on you because you are one ignorant prideful deceitful little snot that does not know that the shit you are pushing is nasty and not in truth at all when it comes to knowing what will transpire or what has transpired when anyone stands in the presence of the throne of God. You talked about heaven but you haven't a clue. Have you been there? Have you actually stood in the presence of God? No you haven't but you sure do think you have a right to judge others and twist the Word to meet your agenda based crap.

You want to seek God then you better start examining yourself first. I care more what happens to the people that those animals feed than the animals. I never said anyone should be cruel to them or that they should not be care for in a humane manner while they are being raised to feed the people that I like to see fed.

I read my husband what you wrote and he was in full agreement with me "she's whacko" but he added some other words in that to describe you and told me to respond to you in such a manner but I declined and attempted to be as kind as possible instead but that isn't good enough for you.

People and animals again both eat meat. Too bad you don't like that but that is the way creation was created to be here in this world; and it will remain that away here in this world.

Take your carnal precepts and shove them where the sun doesn't shine. That means you have several choices of where to put them.

Buttercup is right. People do look for ways to proof-text scripture in order to conform to their unbiblical indulgences. Which is precisely what you did in the post she responded to. You really do have to look at it from the whole bible. Can't just proof-text. That's what Calvinists do in order to justify their belief that they're the elect.

Is that what makes you so mad? Because she said it?

Buttercup is right. People do look for ways to proof-text scripture in order to conform to their unbiblical indulgences. Which is precisely what you did i nthe post she responded to.

Is that what makes you so mad? Because she said it?
Because she is talking out of her ass by her own carnal precepts while she is pushing an agenda. I covered that already but apparently you missed it too.

Eating meat is biblical. Meat in the spiritual realm has more sustenance in it than eating merely bread. In the earth realm meat has more protein than veggies therefore more life sustaining long term to those who need it. Like Jesus stated what goes in the mouth comes out through the belly and ends up as draught/shit. Jesus didn't try to pacify or indulge those with ignorance and I have no reason to either when someone is pushing an agenda that is full of error and confusion.

You want to be vegan by all means do so but if you try to push that as an agenda using the Bible I will call you on it if I so desire.

"Fallen" What exactly does that mean? When Adam/human's eyes are opened after its awaken and it now knows the difference between evil and good it no longer can depend on grace when it does some that is wrong or ungodly. That grace blanket is removed and it survives merely by the mercy of God and faith as it stumbles through life here on earth.

Wake up oh sluggard, you who sleep in the dust/confusion of the earth.

You want to be vegan by all means do so but if you try to push that as an agenda using the Bible I will call you on it if I so desire.

I don't really care what people do. Just so long as I'm not forced to equally do the same. But she's right about the way people proof-text the bible instead of looking at it as a whole.

And you can call me out whenever you want. People who go looking for a fight are never really as much of a problem as those who are ready for one.

Forum List

Back