Hell

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
I believe the notion of hell being merely a literal fire is more of a holdover from the Catholic Church, while in Protestant theologies, whether or not fire was incorporated, the true torment is eternal separation from God, does anyone have any other thoughts or theologies on this?

I believe the notion of hell being merely a literal fire is more of a holdover from the Catholic Church, while in Protestant theologies, whether or not fire was incorporated, the true torment is eternal separation from God, does anyone have any other thoughts or theologies on this?

Problem with those two interpretations is that yes indeed, the separation with god will be forever, but it won't be an eternal torment. The bible talks of death, having as the place of it in the lake of fire.

And, even when someone interprets the lake of fire will last forever, the ones inside won't be alive but dead.

Coffee breaks over, everybody back on their heads.

“He’ll” is when you separate from this reality and see your lost potential.
Almost everyone has a trace of lost potential.

The concept of eternal reward and eternal torture is a marketing concept to motivate people to become Christians. I don't believe a true all powerful being would create such a proposition. But humans trying to create the world's dominant religion would.

• Banned
The concept of eternal reward and eternal torture is a marketing concept to motivate people to become Christians. I don't believe a true all powerful being would create such a proposition. But humans trying to create the world's dominant religion would.
I don't believe it is that simple, no.

Hell is reading your posts

That is what religion is all about. You have your beliefs and interpretations and I have mine. I have determined (for me alone) that formal religions are flawed. And I am also not an Atheist. I do believe there is(are) The Creator(s).

That is what religion is all about. You have your beliefs and interpretations and I have mine. I have determined (for me alone) that formal religions are flawed. And I am also not an Atheist. I do believe there is(are) The Creator(s).
So what of serial killers, of rapists, of child predators?

Eternal separation from God.

That’s all one needs to know.

What of them?

One persons hell is anothers heaven.
Coffee Mug - Far Side Just Not Reaching That Guy.jpg

Hell might possibly be like burning the garbage.

You burn it...and it's gone! Never to be seen again.

Non-existence. I guess you could call that "eternal separation".

Afterlife for everyone even Hitler. No eternal torture. Vengeance is a human emotion that has no meaning beyond a human existence.

Afterlife for everyone even Hitler. No eternal torture. Vengeance is a human emotion that has no meaning beyond a human existence.
I'm not sure I consider hell to be what you describe, but that's enough for me.

If one's master is the Devil rather than God, then perhaps they will spend eternity with them, beyond that I would rather not think about this subject. In that way, it wouldn't be vengeance so much as elective choice.

I'm not sure I consider hell to be what you describe, but that's enough for me.

If one's master is the Devil rather than God, then perhaps they will spend eternity with them, beyond that I would rather not think about this subject. In that way, it wouldn't be vengeance so much as elective choice.
Maybe I shouldn't have entered the thread. Religious people take it as a given there is a Heaven, a Hell, A Devil and a God. I believe there is some sort of existence beyond our human lives and that there is some sort of God being or beings who created the universe or universes. I don't believe there is a Biblical version of Heaven or Hell.

Hell is having The View on the only TV in a doctor's waiting room and you're not allowed to change the channel or lower the volume. This happened to me a few years ago while I waited for my sister at an orthopedic clinic. It was busy and I had to wait over an hour for her. I could not believe the stupidity of the women on that show.

Forum List

Back