us One is dead - College football is getting a 4 team playoff

So here's the question: Is anybody going to give a RATS BEHIND which team wins the BCS in 2012 and 2013??

But it wouldn't be the best teams. 1, 3 and 5 maybe, 10, nope.

Who says some geeky sports writer knows what team is the best?

Yeah, just because they watch almost every game, study the teams, and have spent their careers watching and writing about the sport, what the hell to they know.

Maybe we should just ask the fans.

Or maybe we should use stats and take out the biased human element of coaches and writers. Numbers don't lie, people do.

So here's the question: Is anybody going to give a RATS BEHIND which team wins the BCS in 2012 and 2013??

It will still be the same games played as before. So the fans will still be as rabid as always, and the winning teams will get the same glory as always.

If Bama repeats as Nat'l Champs, I will be screaming my head off and cheering like a mad man.

In other words, yes.

Yeah, just because they watch almost every game, study the teams, and have spent their careers watching and writing about the sport, what the hell to they know.

Or maybe we should use stats and take out the biased human element of coaches and writers. Numbers don't lie, people do.

Stats only? Stats favor the teams with weak schedules and seriously handicap the teams with great defenses.

The BCS uses a computer, not sure what numbers are put in, I think after 12-14 weeks, the number of coaches and sports writers, with the computer give us a real good idea of who the best teams are. Alabama and LSU were the best two, the just happened to be in the same conference. The whining and crying about Ok St is just that, if they wanted to play for the National Championship, don't lose a game to an unranked team.

I would like to point out, for the record, and as an LSU fan it pains me to say it, but

LSU and Alabama were SEC West CO-Champions in 2011.

Each went 7-1 in the SEC and had the highest division record in the west. That makes them SEC West Co-Champions. So to say that Alabama made it to the title game without winning their division is FALSE.

Ummm, when the title game started, LSU was 8-0 in the SEC, while Bama was 7-1. Bama got to the title game by being the #2 ranked team in the nation.

LOL! Boy I am dumb. I wish I could neg rep myself! Can you do it for me?

I guess I just wished LSU's one loss was in the regular season!

Must have gotten confused about 2003, when LSU and Ole Piss were technically "SEC West Co-Champions"

College football fans will.

Those are the same people who give a rat's behind whether or not LSU beats Alabama in the regular season, or whether or not Michigan beats OSU in the regular season, or whether or not Notre Dame beats USC in the regular season.

Those people aren't you. Like a good college basketball fan, you'd prefer to sleep during what you consider to be an irrelevant regular season, and wake up only when a 32 team playoff starts up - including 3, 4, and maybe even 5 loss teams.

Stats only? Stats favor the teams with weak schedules and seriously handicap the teams with great defenses.

Depends on which stats you use.

Technically the BCS computers use stats. But they only use win/loss and the computer ratings of who you played. I think some use Home/Away, but they are in fact forbidden from using point spreads.

I always thought that a good way to use points that doesn't punish good defense is to use the ratio of points for to points against instead of the difference. So, for instance, a 10-3 win would score a 10/3 = 3.3333, which would beat a 28-10 win, which would only score a 2.8.

Personally, I'd be 100% pleased if college football went back to the way it used to be. No BCS - just the bowls. If the polls can't agree on #1 - oh well. Playoffs do NOT always result in the best team winning. I'll take ties back as well, if it can't be won in regulation, end it.

I would like to point out, for the record, and as an LSU fan it pains me to say it, but

LSU and Alabama were SEC West CO-Champions in 2011.

Each went 7-1 in the SEC and had the highest division record in the west. That makes them SEC West Co-Champions. So to say that Alabama made it to the title game without winning their division is FALSE.

Ummm, when the title game started, LSU was 8-0 in the SEC, while Bama was 7-1. Bama got to the title game by being the #2 ranked team in the nation.

LOL! Boy I am dumb. I wish I could neg rep myself! Can you do it for me?

I guess I just wished LSU's one loss was in the regular season!

Must have gotten confused about 2003, when LSU and Ole Piss were technically "SEC West Co-Champions"

Nah, I can't neg rep you. You were talking good about the SEC and giving Bama a boost too. Kinda sad that we both try to explain the BCS Championship teams to these SEC haters.

College football fans will.

Those are the same people who give a rat's behind whether or not LSU beats Alabama in the regular season, or whether or not Michigan beats OSU in the regular season, or whether or not Notre Dame beats USC in the regular season.

Those people aren't you. Like a good college basketball fan, you'd prefer to sleep during what you consider to be an irrelevant regular season, and wake up only when a 32 team playoff starts up - including 3, 4, and maybe even 5 loss teams.

College football fans, the real ones, care about every game played. Thats why thousands of fans show up to watch spring games.

A true fans watches when his team wins and when his team loses. I watched every game Bama played during the Mike Dubose years. A 3-8 season is tough to watch, but if I couldn't get to a game I watched it on tv. I proudly wore my Crimson Tide gear then too. Which is why I have no problem being a proud fan now.

Ginscpy, you know what the scariest words in college football are?

"You play Alabama next?"

"You play Alabama next?"

Not this year.

What? I mean, I know LSU will be loaded too. But do you think Nick Saban isn't going to have a defense that will keep offensive coordinators up at night or give them nightmares when they do sleep?

He just reloaded.

"You play Alabama next?"

Not this year.

What? I mean, I know LSU will be loaded too. But do you think Nick Saban isn't going to have a defense that will keep offensive coordinators up at night or give them nightmares when they do sleep?

He just reloaded.

They can at least plan for Saban.

No one knows what the fuck the Hat is going to do, not even him.

Not this year.

He just reloaded.

They can at least plan for Saban.

No one knows what the fuck the Hat is going to do, not even him.

Yeah, you got me there. Thats why I was so surprised at the BCS Championship game. The Hat didn't do anything crazy.

I see 3 general lines of reasoning here that are flawed and should be thrown out of any conversation.

1. College football has many, many teams vying for a championship. The NFL has few.

In fact, only about half the teams from the Power5 have any realistic shot at next year's title - and I'm being charitable.

2. The 4 team playoffs will open up the possibility of playing for a championship to more teams.

Well, yeah, kind of. It actually closes the door to more teams if you compare it instead to a Plus One system.

3. A playoff system will make sure that the team who deserves it gets a national championship.

Nope - just like a team that definitely did not "deserve it" won the SuperBowl last year, the same thing will happen in college football soon enough. Some 2 game loser will get hot at the end of some such thing. College football has been the only sport that really made that big a deal about "who deserves it". Other sports just have a playoff. The 4 team playoff is a step away from giving the championship to the team that earned it and an 8 team playoff would be even worse.

A couple of years back 'Bama stole a championship by executing their game plan of knocking McCoy out of the game. Hey, it's part of the game and all that, but anyone could have done it. Even a 4 seed or an 8 seed. This will happen soon enough.

I see 3 general lines of reasoning here that are flawed and should be thrown out of any conversation.

1. College football has many, many teams vying for a championship. The NFL has few.

In fact, only about half the teams from the Power5 have any realistic shot at next year's title - and I'm being charitable.

2. The 4 team playoffs will open up the possibility of playing for a championship to more teams.

Well, yeah, kind of. It actually closes the door to more teams if you compare it instead to a Plus One system.

3. A playoff system will make sure that the team who deserves it gets a national championship.

Nope - just like a team that definitely did not "deserve it" won the SuperBowl last year, the same thing will happen in college football soon enough. Some 2 game loser will get hot at the end of some such thing. College football has been the only sport that really made that big a deal about "who deserves it". Other sports just have a playoff. The 4 team playoff is a step away from giving the championship to the team that earned it and an 8 team playoff would be even worse.

A couple of years back 'Bama stole a championship by executing their game plan of knocking McCoy out of the game. Hey, it's part of the game and all that, but anyone could have done it. Even a 4 seed or an 8 seed. This will happen soon enough.

Bama STOLE a championship because Colt McCoy was injured?? WTF?

The Texas fans certainly didn't mind that Sam Bradford got hurt during the Red River Shootout, now did they? Did Texas STEAL that game? Because the final score was a LOT closer than the Texas Bama game. And if Texas had lost that game they wouldn't have been in the BCS Championship.

So don't makeup bullshit. Bama's game plan did not include injuring the QB. But if you can't play with the big boys maybe soccer is a better sport for you.

Last edited:
So don't makeup bullshit. Bama's game plan did not include injuring the QB. But if you can't play with the big boys maybe soccer is a better sport for you.

Oh gee, forgive me for actually watching the game. Perhaps if I had only read about it on Wikipedia I would have your astute observations.

Not only did the Tide include knocking McCoy out of the game in their plan, but it pretty much *was* their plan. It was the only way they could win and they followed through and they won. It was legal, then, as it is now and it has long been considered a time-honored tradition in football.... one that will disappear soon and it's a game plan that will get coaches fired in the future, but I do recognize a difference between the football of the past and the football of the present and future unlike some people on-board, so let me say congratulations to the Tide on winning a championship by beating Texas.

My Huskers never thought to send some thug into the middle to beat the fuck out of McCoy. Pity, we had just the thug to do it that year. Guess we just aren't that smart.

Oh gee, forgive me for actually watching the game. Perhaps if I had only read about it on Wikipedia I would have your astute observations.

Not only did the Tide include knocking McCoy out of the game in their plan, but it pretty much *was* their plan. It was the only way they could win and they followed through and they won. It was legal, then, as it is now and it has long been considered a time-honored tradition in football.... one that will disappear soon and it's a game plan that will get coaches fired in the future, but I do recognize a difference between the football of the past and the football of the present and future unlike some people on-board, so let me say congratulations to the Tide on winning a championship by beating Texas.

My Huskers never thought to send some thug into the middle to beat the fuck out of McCoy. Pity, we had just the thug to do it that year. Guess we just aren't that smart.

I watched the game too. McCoy got tackled. Did Dareus do anything that even resembled bad play? He tackled the QB. The Bama defense attacked every phase of the Texas offense. Your claims that our entire plan was to hurt McCoy is bullshit and typical sour grapes.

Bama scored 37 points against Texas. Did McCoy plan to play defense too? Against the Texas run defense (top ranked) got hit for 2 touchdowns by our starting RB and 2 more by his backup. I guess McCoy would have stopped them, huh?

Bama's defense was in the Texas backfield all night. If McCoy had stayed in the game it might have been a different game, but claiming that Texas would have won is nonsense and fantasy.

And your claim that Bama stole that game is nothing more that whining by the losing fans. There is no shame in losing. But at least buck-up and accept it. It was a tough break for Texas, and that is all it was. Bama played hard in 14 games and took home the trophy.

Exactly what are you claiming will disapear? Tackling? Will coaches be fired for having their defensive linemen tackle the QB without a safety net?

Forum List

Back