us One is dead - College football is getting a 4 team playoff

And this is based on the fact the Cowboys lost to 5-7 Iowa St. but LSU destroyed all of its regular season opposition, except its OT win against Bama? Why empircal evidence can you use to justify this? OSU is a better team than LSU because LSU decimated Oregon in the FIRST game? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense!

The Clones are accustomed to playing the role of spoiler. They've been doing it for decades. Iowa State's team was okay last year. They flirted with the top 25 most of the season. They played a perfect game that night in Ames. It's not the first time ISU has played a perfect game to beat a much better conference rival. Heck, they did it to my Huskers in Lincoln a few years back.

LOL! So OSU's lost to Iowa State doesn't count because "The Clones are accustomed to playing the role of spoiler. " You don't even know how fucking retarded you sound, do you?

The bottom-line, the Cowboys would have beaten any team in the country in a NC game.

According to your crystal ball and not based on any facts - except that LSU blew out Oregon in the first game and that someone means LSU isn't very good. I suppose if Oregon had "played the role of spoiler" in years past, and LSU had lost to them, you'd be saying how great LSU was last year, right? Because apparently, according to you, its better to LOSE than to BLOW OUT a top 5 team in game 1.
They simply weren't given the chance to play
They had a chance, idiot. They lost it when they lost to a sub-par team.

and that's why the Tide are the #1 team in college football..... because they never had to play the best team in college football.
That doesn't even make sense.

And higher ranked teams were left out of the playoffs?

Yes, in 2008 when Arizona went to the Superbowl, if they had to compete for a wildcard spot in the playoffs then the Jets and Tampa Bay would have been in the playoffs instead of Arizona and Chicago might have had the tie-breaker over them as well. It was the inability of the other teams in the NFC West to have a quality season that gave the Cardinals their playoff berth. (I'm aware that the Jets are an AFC team. I'm including them to illustrate a point).

Last year, if the Giants and Tennessee would have competed for their playoff spot based on wildcard tie-breakers (understood, different conferences) then the Titans would have gone to the playoffs, the Giants would have stayed home and we would have a different world champion right now.

This happens all the time in the NFL.

There is a huge difference when you do that when there are only 32 teams and 12 are going to the playoffs. In otherwords, 38% of the teams in the NFL get into the playoffs.

In college there will be 4 spots out of 126 teams. In college, only 0.03% will get into the playoffs.

There is no rational reason for excluding the best teams, unless it is simply to handicap the better conferences.
You mean 3%, not 0.03%.

Its not really a good comparison, though. Although we can exclude a few teams from contention this year - 5 years from now - any team in the NFL could be a contender for the Superbowl. Not so in FBS. 5 years from now UL-Lafayette will still have no hope of winning a title, and so will dozens of lower mid-majors. So point is - not ALL of the 128 teams in FBS actually have a reasonable chance of winning a title - in the NFL the competition is far closer.

And this is based on the fact the Cowboys lost to 5-7 Iowa St. but LSU destroyed all of its regular season opposition, except its OT win against Bama? Why empircal evidence can you use to justify this? OSU is a better team than LSU because LSU decimated Oregon in the FIRST game? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense!

The Clones are accustomed to playing the role of spoiler. They've been doing it for decades. Iowa State's team was okay last year. They flirted with the top 25 most of the season. They played a perfect game that night in Ames. It's not the first time ISU has played a perfect game to beat a much better conference rival. Heck, they did it to my Huskers in Lincoln a few years back.

The bottom-line, the Cowboys would have beaten any team in the country in a NC game. They simply weren't given the chance to play and that's why the Tide are the #1 team in college football..... because they never had to play the best team in college football.

End of story.

See - I can make my point with no curse words, no unusual fonts or boldfacing, and no all-caps. I'm versatile that way. Like the honeybadger of the English language.

We played the best team, at the time, in college football not once but twice. The first time it took OT to beat us by 3. The second time we slaughtered them.

It comes down to 2 teams having one loss. The loss of one teams was to the #1 team, the loss of the other was to a team that ended up with a losing record.

Nope, sorry. The Tide should have been there and we showed that.

It was just another crap year for the BCS. Ok state played better teams and ended up beating teams that were led by the top two picks in the NFL draft. No one can ever argue that OKC couldn't have played against anybody and won. They got hosed in a system that screwed people more years than not. Fewer teams will be hosed starting in 2014. And most years every team that deserves it should get in. There will still be years where it won't be good enough though due to the number of teams.

The bottom-line, the Cowboys would have beaten any team in the country in a NC game. They simply weren't given the chance to play and that's why the Tide are the #1 team in college football..... because they never had to play the best team in college football.

End of story.

See - I can make my point with no curse words, no unusual fonts or boldfacing, and no all-caps. I'm versatile that way. Like the honeybadger of the English language.

We played the best team, at the time, in college football not once but twice. The first time it took OT to beat us by 3. The second time we slaughtered them.

It comes down to 2 teams having one loss. The loss of one teams was to the #1 team, the loss of the other was to a team that ended up with a losing record.

It was just another crap year for the BCS. Ok state played better teams and ended up beating teams that were led by the top two picks in the NFL draft. No one can ever argue that OKC couldn't have played against anybody and won. They got hosed in a system that screwed people more years than not. Fewer teams will be hosed starting in 2014. And most years every team that deserves it should get in. There will still be years where it won't be good enough though due to the number of teams.

They didn't get hosed. They lost to a nobody team. That put them back a step behind a team that only lost to the #1 team.

End of story.

It was just another crap year for the BCS. Ok state played better teams and ended up beating teams that were led by the top two picks in the NFL draft. No one can ever argue that OKC couldn't have played against anybody and won.
ISU can.

They got hosed in a system that screwed people more years than not. Fewer teams will be hosed starting in 2014.
Yet more teams will whine and bitch, because now a claim that you got shafted out of the #4 spot will be considered relevant.

End of story.

OK State didn't play any defenses worth their salt last year. Its easy to look great when the opposing defense sucks.

OK State played 1 team ranked in the top 20 defenses. Bama played 5 games against defenses in the top 20 or better.

Ok State played no games against teams ranked in the top 10 for defense.

Bama played 3 games against top 10 defenses.

The average ranking for the defenses OK State played in 2011 is 85.2.
The average ranking for the defenses Bama played in 2011 is 37.4.

Ok State would NOT have beaten LSU. Their defense was ranked 107 in the nation. Lsu would have put 50 points on them.

OK State didn't play any defenses worth their salt last year. Its easy to look great when the opposing defense sucks.

OK State played 1 team ranked in the top 20 defenses. Bama played 5 games against defenses in the top 20 or better.

Ok State would NOT have beaten LSU. Their defense was ranked 107 in the nation. Lsu would have put 50 points on them.

You'll never know. Thanks BCS.

That can be said for dozens of teams. The simple fact is, OK St lost to a nobody. That cost them the chance at a beatdown by LSU.

Want to play for the championship? Beat the teams that have losing records.

That can be said for dozens of teams. The simple fact is, OK St lost to a nobody. That cost them the chance at a beatdown by LSU.

I suppose ... winning your division should also be a requirement then. But oh well this new system should help remedy the situation.

End of story.

The bottom line is that it is your opinion not a fact, next time beat a team like Iowa St., then there would have been no question that they deserved to play.

I suppose ... winning your division should also be a requirement then. But oh well this new system should help remedy the situation.

It won't help at all, some nut job will complain that there 5 team should have been in it and they would have won. Look at all the whining about this years 3 team.

If that is part f the rules at the beginning. I don't see it anywhere so far.

Just don't try and make it part of the rules at the last minute. The BCS rules say nothing about that.

Great so we will get to see more bowl games in the south with 3 SEC teams and Oklahomo.

We'll see what they come up with on Tuesday. I would strongly favor allowing only one team per conference.

That would not give you a true champion decided on the field.

As an example, for the 2011 season, a 4 team playoff of the highest ranked conference champions, you would have had LSU, OK State, Oregon and Wisconsin.

That would be a playoff between the #1,#3, #5, and #10 ranked teams. That isn't giving you a champion.

winning your conference is winning on the field.

We'll see what they come up with on Tuesday. I would strongly favor allowing only one team per conference.

As an example, for the 2011 season, a 4 team playoff of the highest ranked conference champions, you would have had LSU, OK State, Oregon and Wisconsin.

That would be a playoff between the #1,#3, #5, and #10 ranked teams. That isn't giving you a champion.

But it wouldn't be the best teams. 1, 3 and 5 maybe, 10, nope.

But it wouldn't be the best teams. 1, 3 and 5 maybe, 10, nope.

Who says some geeky sports writer knows what team is the best?

I'm sure asking the fans would be best, then we could see Slippery Rock and Ball St. play for the championship, that would be meaningful.

I would like to point out, for the record, and as an LSU fan it pains me to say it, but

LSU and Alabama were SEC West CO-Champions in 2011.

Each went 7-1 in the SEC and had the highest division record in the west. That makes them SEC West Co-Champions. So to say that Alabama made it to the title game without winning their division is FALSE.

EDIT: I am STUPID and WRONG

Last edited:
I would like to point out, for the record, and as an LSU fan it pains me to say it, but

LSU and Alabama were SEC West CO-Champions in 2011.

Each went 7-1 in the SEC and had the highest division record in the west. That makes them SEC West Co-Champions. So to say that Alabama made it to the title game without winning their division is FALSE.

Ummm, when the title game started, LSU was 8-0 in the SEC, while Bama was 7-1. Bama got to the title game by being the #2 ranked team in the nation.

Forum List

Back