us One is dead - College football is getting a 4 team playoff

The ONLY way to have a true National Champion is to determine it on the field.

Get the right people on the selection committee and have a 4 team playoff. Select the BEST 4 teams. Nevermind conference lines or whatever.

Put the 4 best teams in a playoff and let'em play!

Yeah sure. Who are the "right" people on the selection committee? :lol: It's far to subjective and 4 teams is too few.

The only real way to have a "true" national championship is by going to a 32 team tournament that takes place over 4 weeks in late November and December- we go from 32 to 2 in 4 weeks. With the Final 2 teams playing on the second Sunday in January. The losers can play in Bowl games between Christmas and New Years day.

Why 32? Why not 64 or 128 or 16?

Because it fits the calendar....:lol: that's really the only reason. Personally, I like the bowl system. I really don't care which team is the "national champion".

Yeah sure. Who are the "right" people on the selection committee? :lol: It's far to subjective and 4 teams is too few.

The only real way to have a "true" national championship is by going to a 32 team tournament that takes place over 4 weeks in late November and December- we go from 32 to 2 in 4 weeks. With the Final 2 teams playing on the second Sunday in January. The losers can play in Bowl games between Christmas and New Years day.

Why 32? Why not 64 or 128 or 16?

Because it fits the calendar....:lol: that's really the only reason. Personally, I like the bowl system. I really don't care which team is the "national champion".

Okay, that works, as far as the playoffs, I'm thinking the BCS Bowl is all that is needed and can be played the day after all the major bowl games.

OSU lost to IOWA STATE who finished 5-7. Lord almighty you are stupid. LSU would - have pummelled ANYBODY (and they did), except the #1 team in the country, which you didn't even include in your lame ass bracket. In the final BCS standings, LSU had beaten #1 Alabama, #4 Oregon, #5 Arkansas, #18 West Virginia, and #20 Georgia

West Virginia and Georgia were badly overrated. The win against Oregon was a first game win and the whole South Carolina/Alabama/Arkansas/LSU, etc. thing is a false economy. Why are they great? Because they play in a great conference. Why is the conference great? Because it has great teams. SEC football a house made of sticks and it will be proven to be a fraud.

Stanford and the Cowboys would have beaten either Alabama or LSU if they had played them in the title game. So would have Oregon. I believe that Wisconsin would probably have taken out either of them as well

But, then again, your opinion must be the right one because you called me a name in ALL CAPS.

And Wisconsin? You have to drop all the way down to the #10 team to get a 4th conference involved? And you want a 2 loss team over the team that lost only once and that was in OT to the #1 team?

It happens in the NFL all the time. Just happened last year. The Giants didn't have that great a season and late in it they were in danger of being left out of the playoffs in favor of the Cowboys.

A few years back the Cardinals didn't even belong in the playoffs and they went to the Superbowl.

OSU lost to IOWA STATE who finished 5-7. Lord almighty you are stupid. LSU would - have pummelled ANYBODY (and they did), except the #1 team in the country, which you didn't even include in your lame ass bracket. In the final BCS standings, LSU had beaten #1 Alabama, #4 Oregon, #5 Arkansas, #18 West Virginia, and #20 Georgia

West Virginia and Georgia were badly overrated. The win against Oregon was a first game win and the whole South Carolina/Alabama/Arkansas/LSU, etc. thing is a false economy. Why are they great? Because they play in a great conference. Why is the conference great? Because it has great teams. SEC football a house made of sticks and it will be proven to be a fraud.

Stanford and the Cowboys would have beaten either Alabama or LSU if they had played them in the title game. So would have Oregon. I believe that Wisconsin would probably have taken out either of them as well

But, then again, your opinion must be the right one because you called me a name in ALL CAPS.

Oregon got taken to the woodshed by LSU. And LSU scored 40 against the Ducks. And LSU didn't cross the 50 yardline but once in the entire championship game. No, Oregon wouldn't have done anything against the Tide.

Stanford lost to Oregon, so see the above.

The Cowboys lost to an unranked team. You say they would have beaten Alabama? I seriously doubt it.

The SEC is a house of sticks and will be proven a fraud?

There have been plenty of chances to prove the SEC a fraud.
Oregon could have in 2011.
Texas could have in 2010.
Oklahoma could have in 2009.
Ohio State could have in 2007 & 2008.
Oklahoma could have in 2001.
Florida State could have in 1999.

But none of those top ranked teams proved anyone a fraud. If anything, they proved the SEC is the premier conference in NCAA Football.

And Wisconsin? You have to drop all the way down to the #10 team to get a 4th conference involved? And you want a 2 loss team over the team that lost only once and that was in OT to the #1 team?

It happens in the NFL all the time. Just happened last year. The Giants didn't have that great a season and late in it they were in danger of being left out of the playoffs in favor of the Cowboys.

A few years back the Cardinals didn't even belong in the playoffs and they went to the Superbowl.

And higher ranked teams were left out of the playoffs?

The 4 team playoff is copout - BULLSHIT.

Just to get the public off th ecase of the BCS.

16 teams would be best - 8 teams acceptable.

Oregon got taken to the woodshed by LSU. And LSU scored 40 against the Ducks. And LSU didn't cross the 50 yardline but once in the entire championship game. No, Oregon wouldn't have done anything against the Tide.

Stanford lost to Oregon, so see the above.

The Cowboys lost to an unranked team. You say they would have beaten Alabama? I seriously doubt it.

The SEC is a house of sticks and will be proven a fraud?

There have been plenty of chances to prove the SEC a fraud.
Oregon could have in 2011.
Texas could have in 2010.
Oklahoma could have in 2009.
Ohio State could have in 2007 & 2008.
Oklahoma could have in 2001.
Florida State could have in 1999.

But none of those top ranked teams proved anyone a fraud. If anything, they proved the SEC is the premier conference in NCAA Football.

The two best teams last year were Alabama and LSU, no doubt about it. The SEC is the best football conference. No doubt, the last several years the proof is there.

Anyone that doesn't understand that, doesn't understand football. Name a stronger conference in the last 5 years.

The ONLY way to have a true National Champion is to determine it on the field.

Get the right people on the selection committee and have a 4 team playoff. Select the BEST 4 teams. Nevermind conference lines or whatever.

Put the 4 best teams in a playoff and let'em play!

Too few for WHAT? Too few to reduce the regular season to worthless?
The only real way to have a "true" national championship is by going to a 32 team tournament that takes place over 4 weeks in late November and December

WHY is that the only "real" way?

Here's an idea - you want a 32 team playoff bracket - WATCH SUB-DIVISION FCS FOOTBALL INSTEAD, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF OUR TRADITIONS Why do the cultish followers of the massive playoff bracket - like yourself - insist that BOTH upper subdivisions must bow to your only "real" way of doing it? The FCS already has a 32 team bracket. If that's what America really wanted, they wouldn't be watching the BCS games - they'd be watching the FCS playoffs. Why do you insist that the FBS must also adopt a retarded playoff format? Its the way they do it in basketball? Hey why don't we just get rid of football and have them play basketball, instead? That's the only "real" way of determining a champion.

Last edited:

West Virginia and Georgia were badly overrated.
Georgia won its division. According to the SEC haters, that makes them better than Bama.
The win against Oregon was a first game win

Well oh shucks, LSU didn't get the memo that the first game doesn't count.
Lord you are incredibly stupid.

and the whole South Carolina/Alabama/Arkansas/LSU, etc. thing is a false economy. Why are they great? Because they play in a great conference. Why is the conference great? Because it has great teams. SEC football a house made of sticks and it will be proven to be a fraud.
How many more national titles do you think they'll win before the "fraud" is proven.

Stanford and the Cowboys would have beaten either Alabama or LSU if they had played them in the title game.
And this is based on the fact the Cowboys lost to 5-7 Iowa St. but LSU destroyed all of its regular season opposition, except its OT win against Bama? Why empircal evidence can you use to justify this? OSU is a better team than LSU because LSU decimated Oregon in the FIRST game? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense!

So would have Oregon. I believe that Wisconsin would probably have taken out either of them as well

No - yours must be the right one, because its the one not supported at all by the evidence, and which requires you to declare all of LSU's wins to not really count for one reason or another.

Bigger tournaments are coming. This is a huge step in the right direction.

Its a horrible step. Before long 4 an 5 loss teams will be considered to be deserving of a shot at the title. That's fucking retarded.

A playoff bracket should be no bigger than needed to insure every team that has a reasonable claim to #1 - and only #1 - is in the bracket. Its not about giving teams a "shot at the title" just because why not - its about resolving #1. If you look back over the years very rarely is it reasonable to say the "true #1" wound up ranked lower than #4 by the end of the regular season, so a 4 team playoff will work.

Last edited:

Georgia won its division. According to the SEC haters, that makes them better than Bama.

How many more national titles do you think they'll win before the "fraud" is proven.

Stanford and the Cowboys would have beaten either Alabama or LSU if they had played them in the title game.
And this is based on the fact the Cowboys lost to 5-7 Iowa St. but LSU destroyed all of its regular season opposition, except its OT win against Bama? Why empircal evidence can you use to justify this? OSU is a better team than LSU because LSU decimated Oregon in the FIRST game? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense!

So would have Oregon. I believe that Wisconsin would probably have taken out either of them as well

No - yours must be the right one, because its the one not supported at all by the evidence, and which requires you to declare all of LSU's wins to not really count for one reason or another.

The excuse that Oregon lost because it was the first game is laughable. Besides, be grateful it was teh first game. If the Ducks had been blown out like that late in the season they would have dropped out of the top 5 teams at least, if not out of the top 10. I think you are convenientlty forgetting just how badly the Mad Hatter and those Bayou Bengals manhandled Oregon.

The excuse that Oregon lost because it was the first game is laughable. Besides, be grateful it was teh first game. If the Ducks had been blown out like that late in the season they would have dropped out of the top 5 teams at least, if not out of the top 10. I think you are convenientlty forgetting just how badly the Mad Hatter and those Bayou Bengals manhandled Oregon.

What an awesome game to watch.

samjones said:

Yes, in 2008 when Arizona went to the Superbowl, if they had to compete for a wildcard spot in the playoffs then the Jets and Tampa Bay would have been in the playoffs instead of Arizona and Chicago might have had the tie-breaker over them as well. It was the inability of the other teams in the NFC West to have a quality season that gave the Cardinals their playoff berth. (I'm aware that the Jets are an AFC team. I'm including them to illustrate a point).

Last year, if the Giants and Tennessee would have competed for their playoff spot based on wildcard tie-breakers (understood, different conferences) then the Titans would have gone to the playoffs, the Giants would have stayed home and we would have a different world champion right now.

This happens all the time in the NFL.

Its a horrible step. Before long 4 an 5 loss teams will be considered to be deserving of a shot at the title. That's fucking retarded.

A playoff bracket should be no bigger than needed to insure every team that has a reasonable claim to #1 - and only #1 - is in the bracket. Its not about giving teams a "shot at the title" just because why not - its about resolving #1. If you look back over the years very rarely is it reasonable to say the "true #1" wound up ranked lower than #4 by the end of the regular season, so a 4 team playoff will work.
No it won't. Because they're denying a playoff berth to at least one of the champions of the Power 5 conferences.

No it won't. Because they're denying a playoff berth to at least one of the champions of the Power 5 conferences.

And? So the fuck what?

The Clones are accustomed to playing the role of spoiler. They've been doing it for decades. Iowa State's team was okay last year. They flirted with the top 25 most of the season. They played a perfect game that night in Ames. It's not the first time ISU has played a perfect game to beat a much better conference rival. Heck, they did it to my Huskers in Lincoln a few years back.

The bottom-line, the Cowboys would have beaten any team in the country in a NC game. They simply weren't given the chance to play and that's why the Tide are the #1 team in college football..... because they never had to play the best team in college football.

End of story.

See - I can make my point with no curse words, no unusual fonts or boldfacing, and no all-caps. I'm versatile that way. Like the honeybadger of the English language.

samjones said:

Yes, in 2008 when Arizona went to the Superbowl, if they had to compete for a wildcard spot in the playoffs then the Jets and Tampa Bay would have been in the playoffs instead of Arizona and Chicago might have had the tie-breaker over them as well. It was the inability of the other teams in the NFC West to have a quality season that gave the Cardinals their playoff berth. (I'm aware that the Jets are an AFC team. I'm including them to illustrate a point).

Last year, if the Giants and Tennessee would have competed for their playoff spot based on wildcard tie-breakers (understood, different conferences) then the Titans would have gone to the playoffs, the Giants would have stayed home and we would have a different world champion right now.

This happens all the time in the NFL.

There is a huge difference when you do that when there are only 32 teams and 12 are going to the playoffs. In otherwords, 38% of the teams in the NFL get into the playoffs.

In college there will be 4 spots out of 126 teams. In college, only 0.03% will get into the playoffs.

There is no rational reason for excluding the best teams, unless it is simply to handicap the better conferences.

Last edited:

The Clones are accustomed to playing the role of spoiler. They've been doing it for decades. Iowa State's team was okay last year. They flirted with the top 25 most of the season. They played a perfect game that night in Ames. It's not the first time ISU has played a perfect game to beat a much better conference rival. Heck, they did it to my Huskers in Lincoln a few years back.

The bottom-line, the Cowboys would have beaten any team in the country in a NC game. They simply weren't given the chance to play and that's why the Tide are the #1 team in college football..... because they never had to play the best team in college football.

End of story.

See - I can make my point with no curse words, no unusual fonts or boldfacing, and no all-caps. I'm versatile that way. Like the honeybadger of the English language.

We played the best team, at the time, in college football not once but twice. The first time it took OT to beat us by 3. The second time we slaughtered them.

It comes down to 2 teams having one loss. The loss of one teams was to the #1 team, the loss of the other was to a team that ended up with a losing record.

Nope, sorry. The Tide should have been there and we showed that.

Forum List

Back