us One is dead - College football is getting a 4 team playoff

So don't makeup bullshit. Bama's game plan did not include injuring the QB. But if you can't play with the big boys maybe soccer is a better sport for you.

Oh gee, forgive me for actually watching the game. Perhaps if I had only read about it on Wikipedia I would have your astute observations.

Not only did the Tide include knocking McCoy out of the game in their plan, but it pretty much *was* their plan. It was the only way they could win and they followed through and they won. It was legal, then, as it is now and it has long been considered a time-honored tradition in football.... one that will disappear soon and it's a game plan that will get coaches fired in the future, but I do recognize a difference between the football of the past and the football of the present and future unlike some people on-board, so let me say congratulations to the Tide on winning a championship by beating Texas.

My Huskers never thought to send some thug into the middle to beat the fuck out of McCoy. Pity, we had just the thug to do it that year. Guess we just aren't that smart.

Just tell us you hate Bama. Texas couldn't stop them, and Texas' Oline let Bama run over them. Champions don't make excuses. This BS gets old.

And your claim that Bama stole that game is nothing more that whining by the losing fans. There is no shame in losing. But at least buck-up and accept it. It was a tough break for Texas, and that is all it was. Bama played hard in 14 games and took home the trophy.

Nope - there's no shame in losing the championship game. It's alot more fun to win it, but I know what it feels like to simply face a better team in the championship game. We did it in '01. Some Texas fan somewhere may be whining, but he ain't me. As a Husker fan I hate 3 teams, in order.

#3 - Miami
#2 - Texas

I'll let you go ahead and guess who #1 is.

Exactly what are you claiming will disapear? Tackling? Will coaches be fired for having their defensive linemen tackle the QB without a safety net?
Pretty much....

I don't know if you played or not. I did in high school and I was coached to hit the ball carrier very hard with my shoulder pad and then, if he was going down, to slam him to the ground as hard as possible and then after he had hit the ground to continue to put the pad on him hard to make it hurt.

If I didn't do these things I wasn't following-through on the tackle and I would get screamed at. If I did these things and the ball-carrier had trouble getting up because he was hit so hard then I would be applauded by the coaches and the entire defense. The logic was that this might create turnovers, or maybe this guy would "hear footsteps" next time.

I doubt that mentality will survive the next 10 years.

Exactly what are you claiming will disapear? Tackling? Will coaches be fired for having their defensive linemen tackle the QB without a safety net?
Pretty much....

I don't know if you played or not. I did in high school and I was coached to hit the ball carrier very hard with my shoulder pad and then, if he was going down, to slam him to the ground as hard as possible and then after he had hit the ground to continue to put the pad on him hard to make it hurt.

If I didn't do these things I wasn't following-through on the tackle and I would get screamed at. If I did these things and the ball-carrier had trouble getting up because he was hit so hard then I would be applauded by the coaches and the entire defense. The logic was that this might create turnovers, or maybe this guy would "hear footsteps" next time.

I doubt that mentality will survive the next 10 years.

I was coached to put a shoulder pad into him, wrap his legs up if I could, but get my arms around him anyway, and drive him to the ground. I'm 6'2" and weighed 225 when I played HS ball in '77 & '78. Yeah, we were told to hit hard. Its how the game is played. Being from Tuscaloosa, we all pretty much worshipped Bear Bryant. I remember the saying of his that our coach repeated over and over. "Line up across from the man. Knock him down. Help him up and tell him you'll be back to do it again".

I found the play where Colt McCoy was injured on YouTube. As I remembered it, there was nothing wrong with the play. It was a legal hit in a big time college football game.

I found the play where Colt McCoy was injured on YouTube. As I remembered it, there was nothing wrong with the play. It was a legal hit in a big time college football game.
On that we agree. It was a legal hit and it was a big time game.

On other points we do not agree. It is true that McCoy did not play defense for the Longhorns, but it is not true that his perfomance at quarterback had no standing on how many points the Tide woudl have scored. A great offense impacts the other teams offensive output in 2 ways.

1. by keeping the other team's offense off the field.
2. by leaving the other team's offense with bad starting field position.

Texas didn't have the chance to do either because they had a highly inexperienced freshman playing quarterback that game.

More importantly, this type of dumb luck that granted Bama a national championship will become more common with a 4 team playoff and much more common if there were an 8 team playoff. It's the kind of dumb luck combined with streaky talent that managed to give the NFL's Eli Manning 2 Superbowl rings despite the fact that he isn't really a very good quarterback and has never had a good season. Is college football ready for that?

On other points we do not agree. It is true that McCoy did not play defense for the Longhorns, but it is not true that his perfomance at quarterback had no standing on how many points the Tide woudl have scored. A great offense impacts the other teams offensive output in 2 ways.

Texas didn't have the chance to do either because they had a highly inexperienced freshman playing quarterback that game.

More importantly, this type of dumb luck that granted Bama a national championship will become more common with a 4 team playoff and much more common if there were an 8 team playoff. It's the kind of dumb luck combined with streaky talent that managed to give the NFL's Eli Manning 2 Superbowl rings despite the fact that he isn't really a very good quarterback and has never had a good season. Is college football ready for that?

Every team that makes it through the season undefeated has had some serious good luck. Its part of the game.

And while you agree with me that the hit was legal, you still claimed that Bama "stole" the National Championship. Which is completely bogus.

More sour grapes. Why is it that no champion has ever won without dumb luck?

As far as Manning, what leads you to believe that he isn't a very good quarterback? Because many experts disagree with you view. So what is it that makes him not a very good QB?

As far as Manning, what leads you to believe that he isn't a very good quarterback? Because many experts disagree with you view. So what is it that makes him not a very good QB?

He isn't good. That's the problem. 2007 and 2011 were not good seasons for the Giants. 2008 was a good season for the Giants until Burress shot his dick off, then it all kindof fell apart.

The rest of Manning's years have been either not making the playoffs or losing the wild card round.

It's just one of those peculiarities of football. Not-very-good-Quarterback wins 2 Superbowls.

Forum List

Back