Unemployment down to 6.6%

What's most awesome about stats like this is that the entire media machine shows their patriotism by never questioning how the numbers are actually calculated. Top of the hour news, from radio to tv to yahoo will all carry the same headline.

It's so awesome to live in these times.

• Banned
What's most awesome about stats like this is that the entire media machine shows their patriotism by never questioning how the numbers are actually calculated. Top of the hour news, from radio to tv to yahoo will all carry the same headline.

Actually, I haven't heard much about it. The numbers were out this morning, but I had to google for them specially this afternoon. They weren't in the headlines, at least not where I was looking.

I was sure there would be a thread by now praising Obama for the new UE number but I did a search and didn't find one. So I did my part and posted this one.

Good job Obama. :thup:

By 2016, hardly anyone will be working but official unemployment will be 5%. :clap2:

Job growth remains weak in January; unemployment rate falls to 6.6% - latimes.com

Just wait until Obamacare really kicks into high gear. That number will be going up again.

I don't think so. There will be more long-term unemployed who just won't be counted. And there will be more people with part-time jobs. When two people are doing what a single person used to do, that counts as a gain in employment. The UE number will keep going down, no matter how sucky the facts behind the number are.

Market up...bad news is good news....

Yeah, that's how distorted markets are now. Bad economic news means the higher likelihood that the Fed won't taper out too soon. Which is, actually, bad news.

Things are really, really fucked up right now.

Things are fucked up now?

Ace, I've been working in the financial sector for 15 years.

Bad news for the average joe is great news for the investment class.

Yeah, that's how distorted markets are now. Bad economic news means the higher likelihood that the Fed won't taper out too soon. Which is, actually, bad news.

We know. Obama has been wonderful for the investment class.

I've been a financial advisor for longer than that, and I know that there are many average joes who have created a nice nest egg by not worrying about something as trivial as their "class". They're humble and careful with whatever money they have, and that combination usually leads to good results.

And yes, things are definitely fucked up right now, especially for those on a fixed income, but also for the economy in general.

Last edited:

Another one who only trusts the world of Drudge and Fox.

Can't stand the fact that you're the one being lied to.

Good job Obama. :thup:

By 2016, hardly anyone will be working but official unemployment will be 5%. :clap2:

Job growth remains weak in January; unemployment rate falls to 6.6% - latimes.com

Just wait until Obamacare really kicks into high gear. That number will be going up again.

I don't think so. There will be more long-term unemployed who just won't be counted. And there will be more people with part-time jobs. When two people are doing what a single person used to do, that counts as a gain in employment. The UE number will keep going down, no matter how sucky the facts behind the number are.
Employment Situation Summary

The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (sometimes referred to as involuntary part-time workers) fell by 514,000 to 7.3 million in January. These individuals were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find full-time work. (See table A-8.)

Another one who only trusts the world of Drudge and Fox.

Can't stand the fact that you're the one being lied to.

Unlike you, Imbecilic Troglodyte, I don't trust anyone.

You are so fucking brainwashed, all you have is boilerplate responses from the left's talking points. How does it feel to be a useless piece of excrement?
:clap2:

So what is the labor participation rate? The more who drop out of the workforce the lower the unemployment rate falls if it's falling because so many have stopped looking for jobs that is hardly good news or a sign of a growing economy.

So what is the labor participation rate? The more who drop out of the workforce the lower the unemployment rate falls if it's falling because so many have stopped looking for jobs that is hardly good news or a sign of a growing economy.

62.8. Maintaining a 35-year low.

U6 unemployment fell to 12.7.

CIVPART-620x372.png

The BLS seasonal data have been highly distorted to make this report look good.

It shows an increase in Employed of 638K, yet the government released other data that only 113K jobs were added in January.

They can't both be correct.

Forum List

Back