Trump wants to pull U.S. out of NATO

Somebody want to tell me why American boys should die for other countries?

Itā€™s not all one way. Canadians, Brits and French troops died for America in Afghanistan. The US invaded Afghanistan after 9/11. That was Americaā€™s war and no others. Yet others died because Americans died. NATO allies came to the aid of the US in its time of need when they did not have to. Thatā€™s what allies do.
But why? Did we improve Afghanistan? We need tight tight border security and no more 9-11. End visa, end visa overstays! Build that damn wall. I am sick of all this shit! I have become Pelosi. I am unwilling to budge!we should change our laws and make it impossible to come here! They have their own damn countries. Stay there, fight for your lives, defend whatā€™s yours!
Do you not think that NATO helps us better defend ourselves?
When's the last time NATO did shit?
It strengthens us though alliances and military positioning. What are you expecting it to do?

Others need to pay up.
Somebody want to tell me why American boys should die for other countries?

Itā€™s not all one way. Canadians, Brits and French troops died for America in Afghanistan. The US invaded Afghanistan after 9/11. That was Americaā€™s war and no others. Yet others died because Americans died. NATO allies came to the aid of the US in its time of need when they did not have to. Thatā€™s what allies do.
But why? Did we improve Afghanistan? We need tight tight border security and no more 9-11. End visa, end visa overstays! Build that damn wall. I am sick of all this shit! I have become Pelosi. I am unwilling to budge!we should change our laws and make it impossible to come here! They have their own damn countries. Stay there, fight for your lives, defend whatā€™s yours!
No, I donā€™t.
Then I donā€™t believe youā€™ve really thought about it. NATO is a tremendous asset on an intelligence level but more importantly it allows us to position our military and assets strategically all over the world to more quickly and efficiently respond to any threats that may need to be responded to. Donā€™t take my word for it, Mr Conservative himself Mark Levin ā€œThe great oneā€ as the puppets call him, just said all that and more on his radio show today. See even the Trumpbots are divided on this one

Others need to pay up.
No, I donā€™t.
Then I donā€™t believe youā€™ve really thought about it. NATO is a tremendous asset on an intelligence level but more importantly it allows us to position our military and assets strategically all over the world to more quickly and efficiently respond to any threats that may need to be responded to. Donā€™t take my word for it, Mr Conservative himself Mark Levin ā€œThe great oneā€ as the puppets call him, just said all that and more on his radio show today. See even the Trumpbots are divided on this one
By pay up you mean spend more on their own military? Ok, Iā€™m fine with that but how exactly do you think that is negatively impacting us?

Others need to pay up.
No, I donā€™t.
By pay up you mean spend more on their own military? Ok, Iā€™m fine with that but how exactly do you think that is negatively impacting us?
We pay 51% of the NATO bill. Figure it out.

Others need to pay up.
No, I donā€™t.
What exactly do you think the ā€œNATO billā€ is? Who are we paying it to? Iā€™d double check that number if I were you

Yeah...because without NATO, the US has NO idea whatā€™s going on anywhere even though Google and Amazon do.

Others need to pay up.
No, I donā€™t.
What exactly do you think the ā€œNATO billā€ is? Who are we paying it to? Iā€™d double check that number if I were you
I did check it. No furthur argument is necessary!

Others need to pay up.
I did check it. No furthur argument is necessary!
Last I checked we pay 72% of the total NATO contributions as far as defense spending (686 billion). And 22% of the shared operational costs for NATO (550 million)... 2017 numbers

But letā€™s forget about those numbers for a minute, answer my question. What is this NATO bill you think we are paying 51% of and who are we paying it to?

From the latimes-

...Itā€™s true that the U.S. pays more to NATO in annual dues. And many NATO members, including Germany, Britain and France, fail to meet alliance spending targets. But even with a nearly $700-billion defense budget, the U.S. share of total military spending by NATO members is around 70%, not 90%, according to NATO statistics...

...Each member of the 29-nation alliance pays a portion of NATOā€™s annual base budget, which is about $1.8 billion for 2018.

Dues are apportioned under a cost-sharing formula based on gross national income. This funds alliance operations, including joint training, an airborne early-warning system, and headquarters costs in Brussels and in active military theaters such as Afghanistan. Another $822 million goes to the NATO Security Investment Program for construction projects and other long-term spending.

As the largest member, the U.S. pays the most dues ā€” 22% of the total in 2018, or around $396 million. The smallest alliance member, Montenegro, pays .0270%, or around $486,000.

In addition to dues, each NATO country sets an annual budget for funding its armed forces. In response to U.S. pressure, alliance members pledged in 2014 to raise their defense spending to 2% of their gross domestic products by 2024.

How many have achieved the 2% goal so far?

Only four countries met the target in 2017, according to NATO ā€” the U.S. at 3.57%, Britain at 2.1% percent, Greece at 2.38% and Estonia at 2.1%. This year, Latvia is likely to achieve the 2% target, according to NATO estimates.

Poland, Romania and Lithuania are likely to meet the goal soon. But many of NATOā€™s biggest countries still fall short. Germany, with the second-biggest economy in the alliance, spends 1.24% of its GDP on its armed forces. France spends 1.81% and Turkey spends 1.68%.

Excluding the U.S., total military spending by NATO members has increased modestly in recent years, from $272 billion in 2014 to an estimated $312 billion this year ā€” or less than half the U.S. defense budget. But only 16 allies are ā€œon trackā€ to meet the 2% target by 2024, according to Kay Bailey Hutchison, the U.S. ambassador to NATO and a Trump appointee.

Others need to pay up.
No, I donā€™t.

From the latimes-

...Itā€™s true that the U.S. pays more to NATO in annual dues. And many NATO members, including Germany, Britain and France, fail to meet alliance spending targets. But even with a nearly $700-billion defense budget, the U.S. share of total military spending by NATO members is around 70%, not 90%, according to NATO statistics...

...Each member of the 29-nation alliance pays a portion of NATOā€™s annual base budget, which is about $1.8 billion for 2018.

Dues are apportioned under a cost-sharing formula based on gross national income. This funds alliance operations, including joint training, an airborne early-warning system, and headquarters costs in Brussels and in active military theaters such as Afghanistan. Another $822 million goes to the NATO Security Investment Program for construction projects and other long-term spending.

As the largest member, the U.S. pays the most dues ā€” 22% of the total in 2018, or around $396 million. The smallest alliance member, Montenegro, pays .0270%, or around $486,000.

In addition to dues, each NATO country sets an annual budget for funding its armed forces. In response to U.S. pressure, alliance members pledged in 2014 to raise their defense spending to 2% of their gross domestic products by 2024.

Only four countries met the target in 2017, according to NATO ā€” the U.S. at 3.57%, Britain at 2.1% percent, Greece at 2.38% and Estonia at 2.1%. This year, Latvia is likely to achieve the 2% target, according to NATO estimates.

Poland, Romania and Lithuania are likely to meet the goal soon. But many of NATOā€™s biggest countries still fall short. Germany, with the second-biggest economy in the alliance, spends 1.24% of its GDP on its armed forces. France spends 1.81% and Turkey spends 1.68%.

Excluding the U.S., total military spending by NATO members has increased modestly in recent years, from $272 billion in 2014 to an estimated $312 billion this year ā€” or less than half the U.S. defense budget. But only 16 allies are ā€œon trackā€ to meet the 2% target by 2024, according to Kay Bailey Hutchison, the U.S. ambassador to NATO and a Trump appointee.

Others need to pay up.
Yes, I believe I just pointed to those numbers but thank you for elaborating. Iā€™m still not seeing where this perceived ā€œrip offā€ is coming from.

It reminds me of how Trump talks about China and the trade deficit. He acts like itā€™s this big rip off and China is taking all our money, but he neglects the fact that Americans are buying goods from China and using those goods to run businesses here in the US. While I do agree that the trade deficit is an issue, I donā€™t like the dishonest rhetoric and misrepresentations around it. Same thing is happening here with NATO. We need to be smarter than that

If the President wants us out of NATO, there's probably a pretty good reason for it. .

NATO like the UN are both organizations that cost the USA a LOT of money with little return. Neither has any credibility or bite because they never do anything. I'm sure Trump realizes that for the money we invest, that money could be better spent. The problem is that while we might come to the aid of another country, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that if the USA came under attack and needed help, NONE of our "allies" would lift a finger to help us. It's all a one way street.

Well, last time I read, our nation is a collection of 50 different loyal-to-each-other nations, so we can help each other out if attacked, and we will if you make us.

Smarter than making other countries finally pay their promised shares? They have been getting away with it for years.
From the latimes-

Others need to pay up.
Yes, I believe I just pointed to those numbers but thank you for elaborating. Iā€™m still not seeing where this perceived ā€œrip offā€ is coming from.

It reminds me of how Trump talks about China and the trade deficit. He acts like itā€™s this big rip off and China is taking all our money, but he neglects the fact that Americans are buying goods from China and using those goods to run businesses here in the US. While I do agree that the trade deficit is an issue, I donā€™t like the dishonest rhetoric and misrepresentations around it. Same thing is happening here with NATO. We need to be smarter than that

Smarter than making other countries finally pay their promised shares? They have been getting away with it for years.
From the latimes-

Who do you think these countries are paying and how do you think itā€™s impacting us or the alliance?

We pick up the slack, yet those countries that are in closer proximity to the conflicts or peace keeping activities, are not living up to the agreed upon terms. We then make up the slack through our resources and funding. If they increase their spending so they have the resources to contribute, as agreed upon, we then have less we must contribute, which is historically much greater than even Europe combined. They would be effected more quickly, due to that proximity, yet contribute less for their own security.
From the latimes-

Who do you think these countries are paying and how do you think itā€™s impacting us or the alliance?

Trump wants to pull U.S. out of NATO: NYT

President Donald Trump has discussed pulling the United States out of NATO ā€” a move that, if executed, would diminish America's world stature and embolden Russia to make advances against Europe, according to a new New York Times report.

"Senior administration officials told The New York Times that several times over the course of 2018, Mr. Trump privately said he wanted to withdraw from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization," the paper reported on Monday.

----------------

So what do you think? Trump can't pull us out of NATO without help from the Senate.

Will the GOP Senate help Trump isolate us, finish off our agriculture and beef industries and isolate us from business around the world?
Let Europe take care of themselves. The muslims have just about finished them off anyway.

Good, either get us out or have those nations directly PAY US for protecting them since WW II and the cost of our men and bases in all those countries....TRUMP...ALWAYS RIGHT!

Trump wanted five billion for his wall and the former GOP never gave it to him...

Now he want out of NATO, again not happening...
I don't know. Lindsey Graham went from this:

DwrHkzPWsAUVk1O.jpg

To wanting to "partake" of Trump. I wonder how many other Senate Republicans he has in his "back pocket"?
hqdefault.jpg

our nation is a collection of 50 different loyal-to-each-other nations

??? Huh? Yep, I can see
  • Bulgaria
  • Czech Republic
  • Estonia
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia and
  • Slovenia
rendering us a lot of aid. Let's face it. NATO is a prize for these countries, and the USA carries them all.

Forum List

Back