To USMB- The ignore feature

Anyone taking being put on ignore - "personally" - should take it personally - because something is wrong.

Not with the person who put them on ignore. But with the person put on ignore and how they are interacting with that particular person or other persons.

So if I were to put you on ignore now, that would prove something is wrong with you? Interesting.

I don't think that's necessarily the case unless the person has a pretty good reason for putting a person on ignore. I have members on ignore who have been somewhat sexually harassing. Also, some who follow me from thread to thread just to make nasty comments towards me without even contributing to the topic of the thread. They apparently hold grudges about past arguments or whatever.

However, some people will put others on ignore for the smallest of slights, so no it does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with the person on ignore.

I've had arguments on threads with others regarding the thread topics and maybe have said something that was offensive or that the person has perceived as offensive during the heat of the moment and I'm pretty sure I am on some peoples' ignore list. :D I can say that I don't stalk other members or follow them around the forum just to make derogatory comments though . . . so, although I am not perfect, I don't think there is something wrong with me. Lol. Some people are bound to be more sensitive than other people.

No, I am reclaiming the minutes/hrs lost to reading incessant drivel :thup:

You are under no obligation to read any post - just scroll past it. It's not that hard.

I disagree. There are numerous reasons why the ignore function is a good tool for USMB members. There are people here who repeatedly ignore USMB rules and will trash any thread just for amusement. Some people cross the line, knowing full well they are crossing it and with that - they lose the privilege of readers they otherwise would have had dialogue with.

It's just that simple.

One of the oafs I put in Iggy, took umbrage. Can you believe? lol

How dare you interfere with his ability to stalk and harass you! Hater!

I see this on a larger scale with politics. If one side cannot access the other they come unhinged. It's truly revealing, KG. All you have to do is watch them. The oppressed are most often the "oppressors". People do not realize that by their own actions they are giving themselves away. It does not matter what they are saying. Watch what they are doing.

Or just assume they are doing the exact opposite of what they say..and whatever they accuse you of, they are currently and actively engaged in. I've found that's a pretty good way to figure out what they're all about.

Two suggestions: Can this site be revised a little so that...

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

I don't put anyone on ignore. If they have something to say, I assume there is a purpose.
I always have something to learn from each person on here, and often the most opposing views and approaches have the most to offer and benefit from understanding.
I see the entire process, with everyone interacting, as an interconnected conversation.

If people put me or others on ignore, I assume they have other things to focus on.

But I will continue to reply to any message with meaningful content, anyway, as I don't have a problem with people who may have a problem with me. I will still treat all people with the same respect and include them in my world even if they exclude me from theirs.

My posts are not always for the person they are addressed to, but often are for others to play off and keep the discussion going regardless who drops in or out. I see it as very interactive and holistic, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I find mistakes are made and information missed by cutting out sources, especially people and viewpoints most foreign, adverse or hostile to mine. The truth encompasses all views, so it is in my best interest to understand all perspectives if I am going to be fair and complete in my knowledge and assessments.

Last edited:
I only put people on ignore when they do stalking things like sending me unwanted PM's or otherwise dont' contribute to a conversation.

I currently only have one person on ignore, and it's mostly because he just reposts the same thing in every thread to the point even other people who agree with him ignore him.

Yes, there are some here who sure do seem to enjoy stalking. :cuckoo: I've been using the ignore feature for people who are stalkers and/or abusive. You know, the ones that follow you from thread to thread, making nasty comments, or the ones you cannot have a discussion with because all they can do is toss about insults? Really, I believe internet forums are rife with very miserable and unstable people . . . obviously. Lol.

Oh, and also the ones who never have a point to make. They just post stupid comments to every single thread . . . that's annoying too.
Or a single smiley. Like... What's the point?

If you ignore someone, you are essentially hiding from them. That doesn't mean they are hiding from you as well. I reply to some like Statist who claim to have me on ignore, all the time. Just because he is too much of a coward to face me doesn't mean I will stop humiliating him.
No, I am reclaiming the minutes/hrs lost to reading incessant drivel :thup:

I hear ya. Life is to short .

I'm trying to remember how I would have dealt with this kind of thing back in grade school, but it's been too damn long!

:laugh:

You are in luck.

Based upon the quality of the political acumen of so many posters here, it shouldn't be too difficult to seek advice from those who are still in it.
Understatement of the year :)

And just think... most of them are approaching retirement age or are already there. Doesn't give me much hope for our actual youth.
Hell, I am retired.

My advice to youth; get a fucking job and keep it.

Don't want to work until SS eligible?

Get a job with a pension plan that pays you after 20-25 years, regardless of age.

Teaching school is a good choice.

Start at 24, retire at 49, with good benefits, and plenty of time for another job.

I'm trying to remember how I would have dealt with this kind of thing back in grade school, but it's been too damn long!

You are in luck.

Based upon the quality of the political acumen of so many posters here, it shouldn't be too difficult to seek advice from those who are still in it.

And just think... most of them are approaching retirement age or are already there. Doesn't give me much hope for our actual youth.
Hell, I am retired.

Don't want to work until SS eligible.

Get a job with a pension plan that pays you after 20-25 years, regardless of age.

Start at 24, retire at 49, with good benefits, and plenty of time for another job.

I agree about the retirement plan. I used to work for a company that matched 5%. And even after I was no longer employed there ,and no money was being banked... It still managed to grow by12k from sept of 2013 to today. Found that out recently when I finally got around to moving it to an IRA. Not too bad.

I'm surprised anybody actually uses the ignore feature.
'
I just thought it was there so people could put their fat little hands on their hips and tell others they are on it.

At one forum, I had one poster tell me she had me on ignore at least a dozen times. The irony escaped her.

You are in luck.

Hell, I am retired.

Don't want to work until SS eligible.

I agree about the retirement plan. I used to work for a company that matched 5%. And even after I was no longer employed there ,and no money was being banked... It still managed to grow by12k from sept of 2013 to today. Found that out recently when I finally got around to moving it to an IRA. Not too bad.
I started at 30, retired at 55.

I always knew what I was going to make, when the check would come, exactly which days I would work, and how many per year.

Teaching gives you structure and a lot of free time.

Perfect for my personality.

'
I just thought it was there so people could put their fat little hands on their hips and tell others they are on it.

At one forum, I had one poster tell me she had me on ignore at least a dozen times. The irony escaped her.

The ignore feature is a crutch for those without the self-discipline to just pass over idiot posters.

I only put people on ignore when they do stalking things like sending me unwanted PM's or otherwise dont' contribute to a conversation.

I currently only have one person on ignore, and it's mostly because he just reposts the same thing in every thread to the point even other people who agree with him ignore him.

Yes, there are some here who sure do seem to enjoy stalking. :cuckoo: I've been using the ignore feature for people who are stalkers and/or abusive. You know, the ones that follow you from thread to thread, making nasty comments, or the ones you cannot have a discussion with because all they can do is toss about insults? Really, I believe internet forums are rife with very miserable and unstable people . . . obviously. Lol.

Oh, and also the ones who never have a point to make. They just post stupid comments to every single thread . . . that's annoying too.

Oh come on. I use the single smiley at times just to affirm that I enjoyed somebody's joke or clever comment or something. It saves a lot of typing.

'

The ignore feature is a crutch for those without the self-discipline to just pass over idiot posters.

I don't know Roadrunner. We all use photos and cut and paste, but most of us do it judiciously and in a way that adds to the discussion. There are a few members who do nothing but post photo after photo that add nothing to the discussion and/or massive amounts of cut and paste that they probably haven't read and think makes them look intelligent or something. They can so clutter a thread that you miss the good posts that you would like to see and/or respond to.

The ignore feature is useful in such cases to eliminate all that garbage so the thread isn't completely destroyed with it.

Oh come on. I use the single smiley at times just to affirm that I enjoyed somebody's joke or clever comment or something. It saves a lot of typing.

It's annoying when you open a thread you have been alerted to and that's all you see. Some posters do it constantly. That's why the suck ups go straight to ignore.

It's annoying when you open a thread you have been alerted to and that's all you see. Some posters do it constantly. That's why the suck ups go straight to ignore.

It happens that often for you? I see it used really judiciously. I used to get rep notices that contained nothing but a smiley face. Okay it takes a few seconds to open and see that, but I understood that the member enjoyed my comment and that is why I was getting the rep. I don't respond with a smiley face often, but sometimes somebody makes a comment that is so funny or on point that it deserves acknowledgment more than just an 'agree' or 'like' and a smiley face accomplishes that acknowledgment.

So I don't mind the smiley faces. It is somewhat annoying when one of my posts gets included in a long string of nested quotes and I numerous notices for posts that do not pertain to me or interest me in any way. But oh well. That is just an irritant and not a huge deal.

It happens that often for you? I see it used really judiciously. I used to get rep notices that contained nothing but a smiley face. Okay it takes a few seconds to open and see that, but I understood that the member enjoyed my comment and that is why I was getting the rep. I don't respond with a smiley face often, but sometimes somebody makes a comment that is so funny or on point that it deserves acknowledgment more than just an 'agree' or 'like' and a smiley face accomplishes that acknowledgment.

So I don't mind the smiley faces. It is somewhat annoying when one of my posts gets included in a long string of nested quotes and I numerous notices for posts that do not pertain to me or interest me in any way. But oh well. That is just an irritant and not a huge deal.

Kind of like the clown faces.... I don't need too read them all to know it's just more of the same drivel from the hangers on. I can read the original posters comment to see how they all feel about any given subject. It's not like they ever disagree with the main troll.

Two suggestions: Can this site be revised a little so that...

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

I don't put anyone on ignore. If they have something to say, I assume there is a purpose.
I always have something to learn from each person on here, and often the most opposing views and approaches have the most to offer and benefit from understanding.
I see the entire process, with everyone interacting, as an interconnected conversation.

If people put me or others on ignore, I assume they have other things to focus on.

But I will continue to reply to any message with meaningful content, anyway, as I don't have a problem with people who may have a problem with me. I will still treat all people with the same respect and include them in my world even if they exclude me from theirs.

My posts are not always for the person they are addressed to, but often are for others to play off and keep the discussion going regardless who drops in or out. I see it as very interactive and holistic, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I find mistakes are made and information missed by cutting out sources, especially people and viewpoints most foreign, adverse or hostile to mine. The truth encompasses all views, so it is in my best interest to understand all perspectives if I am going to be fair and complete in my knowledge and assessments.

Some people NEED to be put on ignore, or they don't leave you alone.

Guilty! :lol: I love smiley faces, what can I say?

'

Put YOU on ignore??? No, I don't believe it. :D

What is more annoying is when someone types like 20 of these . . . :lmao: And to think that they sit there and just repeated press the same smiley face, as if it bolsters some point?

Using 10 or more of them is not any better than just using the one.

Forum List

Back