To USMB- The ignore feature

I'm surprised anybody actually uses the ignore feature.
'
I just thought it was there so people could put their fat little hands on their hips and tell others they are on it.

At one forum, I had one poster tell me she had me on ignore at least a dozen times. The irony escaped her.

The ignore feature is a crutch for those without the self-discipline to just pass over idiot posters.

I don't know Roadrunner. We all use photos and cut and paste, but most of us do it judiciously and in a way that adds to the discussion. There are a few members who do nothing but post photo after photo that add nothing to the discussion and/or massive amounts of cut and paste that they probably haven't read and think makes them look intelligent or something. They can so clutter a thread that you miss the good posts that you would like to see and/or respond to.

The ignore feature is useful in such cases to eliminate all that garbage so the thread isn't completely destroyed with it.

Also, the ones who just say "I hate ______." And that's it, no expounding on the point, no thought given, just hate, and that comment will receive a whole bunch of "thanks." :rolleyes-41:

Two suggestions: Can this site be revised a little so that...

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

I don't put anyone on ignore. If they have something to say, I assume there is a purpose.
I always have something to learn from each person on here, and often the most opposing views and approaches have the most to offer and benefit from understanding.
I see the entire process, with everyone interacting, as an interconnected conversation.

If people put me or others on ignore, I assume they have other things to focus on.

But I will continue to reply to any message with meaningful content, anyway, as I don't have a problem with people who may have a problem with me. I will still treat all people with the same respect and include them in my world even if they exclude me from theirs.

My posts are not always for the person they are addressed to, but often are for others to play off and keep the discussion going regardless who drops in or out. I see it as very interactive and holistic, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I find mistakes are made and information missed by cutting out sources, especially people and viewpoints most foreign, adverse or hostile to mine. The truth encompasses all views, so it is in my best interest to understand all perspectives if I am going to be fair and complete in my knowledge and assessments.

Some people NEED to be put on ignore, or they don't leave you alone.
Hi ChrisL Have you ever considered that your fear or resistance to such personality types
might attract them more? Try using reverse psychology, the more you receive embrace and include diversity
I find it attracts the serious interactions and either deflects those who aren't interested in real content or bores them.

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

I don't put anyone on ignore. If they have something to say, I assume there is a purpose.
I always have something to learn from each person on here, and often the most opposing views and approaches have the most to offer and benefit from understanding.
I see the entire process, with everyone interacting, as an interconnected conversation.

If people put me or others on ignore, I assume they have other things to focus on.

But I will continue to reply to any message with meaningful content, anyway, as I don't have a problem with people who may have a problem with me. I will still treat all people with the same respect and include them in my world even if they exclude me from theirs.

My posts are not always for the person they are addressed to, but often are for others to play off and keep the discussion going regardless who drops in or out. I see it as very interactive and holistic, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I find mistakes are made and information missed by cutting out sources, especially people and viewpoints most foreign, adverse or hostile to mine. The truth encompasses all views, so it is in my best interest to understand all perspectives if I am going to be fair and complete in my knowledge and assessments.

Hi ChrisL Have you ever considered that your fear or resistance to such personality types
might attract them more? Try using reverse psychology, the more you receive embrace and include diversity
I find it attracts the serious interactions and either deflects those who aren't interested in real content or bores them.

Fear? Lol. It's not fear, Emily. It's more like why should I put up with any crap from some douchebag online that I don't even know? I think perhaps you take this place a LOT more seriously than I do. :)

I'm not interested in playing games with them either. I stick with the posters I respect and the ones I can tolerate.

I don't know Roadrunner. We all use photos and cut and paste, but most of us do it judiciously and in a way that adds to the discussion. There are a few members who do nothing but post photo after photo that add nothing to the discussion and/or massive amounts of cut and paste that they probably haven't read and think makes them look intelligent or something. They can so clutter a thread that you miss the good posts that you would like to see and/or respond to.

The ignore feature is useful in such cases to eliminate all that garbage so the thread isn't completely destroyed with it.

Also, the ones who just say "I hate ______." And that's it, no expounding on the point, no thought given, just hate, and that comment will receive a whole bunch of "thanks." :rolleyes-41:[/QUOTE]
Well if they are receiving thanks, doesn't that show they are expressing a shared sentiment?
Some people communicate with just yes and no.
If you want to draw people out and interact and understand, then why not ask?
Room for both. What is wrong with both styles of communicating and responding to conflicting views:
* Competitive
* Accommodating
* Avoiding
* Collaborating
* Compromise
All these 5 approaches are recognized in conflict resolution as the way people may operate.
Each one has its place and best uses, advantages and disadvantages. Mediation requires recognizing and working with these different styles, not judging or competing between them.

Last edited:
'
I just thought it was there so people could put their fat little hands on their hips and tell others they are on it.

At one forum, I had one poster tell me she had me on ignore at least a dozen times. The irony escaped her.

The ignore feature is a crutch for those without the self-discipline to just pass over idiot posters.

Also, the ones who just say "I hate ______." And that's it, no expounding on the point, no thought given, just hate, and that comment will receive a whole bunch of "thanks." :rolleyes-41:
Well if they are receiving thanks, doesn't that show they are expressing a shared sentiment?
Room for both. What is wrong with both styles of communicating and responding to conflicting views:
* Competitive
* Accommodating
* Avoiding
* Collaborating
* Compromise
All these 5 approaches are recognized in conflict resolution as the way people may operate.
Each one has its place and best uses, advantages and disadvantages. Mediation requires recognizing and working with these different styles, not judging or competing between them.

Look Emily, some people are just not worth my time. They are a waste of human flesh. :D I'm not interested in trying to convince them of anything.

Thanks!

Fear? Lol. It's not fear, Emily. It's more like why should I put up with any crap from some douchebag online that I don't even know? I think perhaps you take this place a LOT more seriously than I do. :)

I'm not interested in playing games with them either. I stick with the posters I respect and the ones I can tolerate.
^??? ChrisL why are you saying I'm the one taking this seriously compared with you if you are the one calling it crap, douchebags, playing games, etc. If I see people have greater potential than to resort to name calling and bullying, sure I will try to encourage otherwise. To me I see it as taking it too seriously if you have to worry who to ignore or not. If people are jumping on you, why not address that instead of avoiding the issue and thinking you can solve it by cutting it off. What if there is something you are missing? Why not address that so it solves the problem directly and globally?

Thanks!

^??? ChrisL why are you saying I'm the one taking this seriously compared with you if you are the one calling it crap, douchebags, playing games, etc. If I see people have greater potential than to resort to name calling and bullying, sure I will try to encourage otherwise. To me I see it as taking it too seriously if you have to worry who to ignore or not. If people are jumping on you, why not address that instead of avoiding the issue and thinking you can solve it by cutting it off. What if there is something you are missing? Why not address that so it solves the problem directly and globally?

I'm not interested. I come here to relax and to talk about issues that concern me. K? I don't care about all of the other stupid things, and if people are going to act stupid, then I am going to put them on ignore. Why do you care what I do?

'

* Competitive
* Accommodating
* Avoiding
* Collaborating
* Compromise

Look Emily, some people are just not worth my time. They are a waste of human flesh. :D I'm not interested in trying to convince them of anything.

1. Well I'm on the same board interacting with the same people as you do. And I don't have to put anyone on ignore in order to interact freely with those who are worth my time to focus on.
2. And as I said before I have no issue with those who put me or others on ignore.
3. I just find it curious if you think the issue is just with the people you ignore and not partly to do with you and your coping and filtering style. I don't have to use that. And these are the same people. So clearly it is partially an issue with you.

Frankly ChrisL I find over and over again
that people with this "fear that other people won't leave you alone otherwise"
or any sign of "victim mentality" can come across as easy targets
that bullies like to test and bash on. Something in that personality goes for
the people who least want to interact with them. Good luck with that.
I've learned to get past it other ways so it doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
I'm really trying to be nice here. It's my business if I decide to put a person on ignore, and I have damn good reasons for doing so.

Sure ChrisL and as I said in a previous post, I have no issue with people like you who use ignore.
Just pointing out I don't have to use it to filter out what where and who to focus on.
if you do, that's your option and it is there for that reason.

I work two jobs, don't have time to waste either.
I use my real name and post my real links to real projects
and I don't have to put anyone on ignore.

I don't know these people either.
If you have a different style for filtering, that's your choice.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, better or worse, just that I don't ever need to use it.

^ ChrisL whatever problem you are having here, I don't have that here. ^

The most I ever had to do was email a mediation agreement to someone (who kept threatening to sue people around me)
to sign and agree to resolve any and all conflicts without legal action or expenses if they were going to contact me, and they wouldn't sign it so the problem stopped there.

I guess I have my own ways of screening people out.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some posters to just scroll past what they don't want to read.

Why?

Just ignore it.

there are a lot of pshco nutcases

Thanks!

Hey be grateful they upgraded it to where it is NOW where when they quote you and post after you,you don't see their user name displayed.most sites you have to look at their user name when you have them on ignore so be thankful they did that much.

and you just got to accept it that there are some major psycho nutcases in the world out there who it makes them feel better talking to themselves quoting you talking directly to you as if they actually think you are reading their lunatic ramblings.I got a few that do that with me myself as well.It is indeed creepy though that they talk to themselves when you have made it clear to them you have them on ignore.

^ ChrisL whatever problem you are having here, I don't have that here. ^

The most I ever had to do was email a mediation agreement to someone (who kept threatening to sue people around me)
to sign and agree to resolve any and all conflicts without legal action or expenses if they were going to contact me, and they wouldn't sign it so the problem stopped there.

I guess I have my own ways of screening people out.

That's fine. You have your way. I have my way. :) I don't have anyone threatening to sue to me. I just find some posters . . . . to be not worth my effort or time. Those, I put on ignore, and I have good reasons for putting those 3 people on ignore. These are posters that, every time I have contact with them, they get really nasty. I don't have to tolerate it and I will not.

I'm really trying to be nice here. It's my business if I decide to put a person on ignore, and I have damn good reasons for doing so.

Sure ChrisL and as I said in a previous post, I have no issue with people like you who use ignore.
Just pointing out I don't have to use it to filter out what where and who to focus on.
if you do, that's your option and it is there for that reason.

I work two jobs, don't have time to waste either.
I use my real name and post my real links to real projects
and I don't have to put anyone on ignore.

I don't know these people either.
If you have a different style for filtering, that's your choice.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, better or worse, just that I don't ever need to use it.

Do they follow you around the board and when you post something, call you nasty names, or even sometimes make nasty comments about you on a thread you are not even currently posting in, or haven't been?

And then there are those who are just SO ignorant, there is no getting through to them. I would consider putting those people on ignore too. I like people that I can have a normal discussion with. Sometimes we might get heated and say some things, but if they have valid points to make and are not just outright nasty towards me, then I don't have an issue. You see, I am an adult. I don't have time to deal with the children. Let them play with one another, and I can stay out of it. :D

I can totally see that being a problem for you. Those awful womenz are no good, I tell ya! :wink_2:

Thank you for your understanding.

I realize that women find wrinkles, ear hair and diminishing testosterone levels a real turn on, but they need to realize a man of my age just can't keep up with the rapaciousness of their uncontrolled libido.

Forum List

Back