To USMB- The ignore feature

Anyone taking being put on ignore - "personally" - should take it personally - because something is wrong.

Not with the person who put them on ignore. But with the person put on ignore and how they are interacting with that particular person or other persons.

Your statement is confusing. If someone puts you on ignore, you are the one that is being put on ignore, and you are saying to take it personally not with the person who put you on ignore, but with the person "put" on ignore......which is yourself! That would make it seem like if someone puts you on ignore, there is something wrong with you? I don't agree with that.....although there are some annoying persons that probably need to be put on ignore because they are constant trolls, but many people are just very sensitive and don't like controversy or being told they are wrong.....and they will put you on ignore when you challenge them. I certainly wouldn't consider something being wrong with me in such a case, but something being wrong with them. If you can't stand being challenged when you make comments, you have no business making statements that will cause that. Perhaps such people should stick to the Coffee Shop forums, or gardening or where there is no caustic debate going on.

I really don't give a crap who puts me on ignore. I'll still respond to their posts if I don't agree with what they say. I don't really care if they respond or not, and, I don't take it personally, this is just a sounding board, but if someone gets nasty with me, they're going to get nasty back.

With all due respect, you charged in to me, out of the blue, with a barrage of gratuitous nastiness. No prior contact between us had been forthcoming. I was taken aback at this aggressive behavior to say the least.

I put people in ignore as a last resort. Difference of opinion is one thing. But a constant barrage of personal abuse, which has no basis in political ideology gets tedious to say the least.

All the people I have on ignore don't show up at all, in thread starts, thread content, nor in quotes. If they're posting to Me, well I find that funny. The frustration of them not getting a reply back must be killing them.

I like it. hehe

That's even more satisfying when you do it deliberately. It's also good to comment on the rare occasion such posters do submit something of value. That not only encourages them to raise the bar, but it makes it clear that you don't have them on automatic ignore and are actually skipping their posts because you find them useless.

Last edited:
I put people in ignore as a last resort. Difference of opinion is one thing. But a constant barrage of personal abuse, which has no basis in political ideology gets tedious to say the least.
It does get a little frustrating, and it's clear that there are many people who literally come here just to attack others. While I do admit that such behavior is fascinating from an amateur psychological/sociological/anthropological perspective, it's not why I come here. I'd much rather just swap ideas, observations and opinions like adults.

It's almost as if politics and current events are a veneer, an excuse, and venting & attacking is the real purpose for these people. At this point, if I have to whittle it down to 10 people with whom I can have calm conversations, that's what I'll do.

Last edited:
It does get a little frustrating, and it's clear that there are many people who literally come here just to attack others. While I do admit that such behavior is fascinating from an amateur psychological/sociological/anthropological perspective, it's not why I come here. I'd much rather just swap ideas, observations and opinions like adults.

It's almost as if politics and current events are a veneer, an excuse, and venting & attacking is the real purpose for these people. At this point, if I have to whittle it down to 10 people with whom I can have calm conversations, that's what I'll do.

Exactly. This board isn't about political discussion anymore. Hasn't been for a very long time.

Exactly. This board isn't about political discussion anymore. Hasn't been for a very long time.

And yet when we keep trying to raise the bar and create a more edifying discussion climate, those who come here apparently just so they can be insulting to others and do that for sport invariably object to the new format. The complaints start almost immediately. Why do we need this? We already have that? Etc. But of course they have already pretty much destroyed the best of THAT and now they target the new thing or convince people that it isn't cool to post there.

The CDZ was a good idea, but many won't go there because it isn't socially acceptable. There was an immediate 'nose in the air' contempt re the new Debate Now forum that has great potential if people will use it. But the trolls descended immediately to ensure there would be little traction or meaningful discussion achieved and it was immediately declared 'not cool' by those who like to be be insulting with their posts.

It's very frustrating. But the scroll wheel and ignore button is pretty much the only defense we have.

So I'm off to church and brunch. Catch ya'll later.

And yet when we keep trying to raise the bar and create a more edifying discussion climate, those who come here apparently just so they can be insulting to others and do that for sport invariably object to the new format. The complaints start almost immediately. Why do we need this? We already have that? Etc. But of course they have already pretty much destroyed the best of THAT and now they target the new thing or convince people that it isn't cool to post there.

The CDZ was a good idea, but many won't go there because it isn't socially acceptable. There was an immediate 'nose in the air' contempt re the new Debate Now forum that has great potential if people will use it. But the trolls descended immediately to ensure there would be little traction or meaningful discussion achieved and it was immediately declared 'not cool' by those who like to be be insulting with their posts.

It's very frustrating. But the scroll wheel and ignore button is pretty much the only defense we have.

So I'm off to church and brunch. Catch ya'll later.
Makes you wonder why the posters set on ruining the improvements are given more consideration doesn't it?

It's still better than most.

One other thing I've noticed is: the ignored users show up on the 'agree' and 'thanks' functions. It's usually done to the posters who insult and abuse. Just proves that these retards still want to be noticed, part of one's forum life, so to speak.

Get the behavioural analysts on that.

One other thing I've noticed is: the ignored users show up on the 'agree' and 'thanks' functions. It's usually done to the posters who insult and abuse. Just proves that these retards still want to be noticed, part of one's forum life, so to speak.

Since we certainly can't hold our breath waiting on any behavioral changes, it sure would be nice if the Clean Debate Zone were more active...

Since we certainly can't hold our breath waiting on any behavioral changes, it sure would be nice if the Clean Debate Zone were more active...

Will take a look.

I don't usually go to the CDZ because the topics of discussions there are not usually very interesting to me.

Well you guys who would like to see it done better, give the new Structured Debate forum a chance. C_K has guaranteed the rules will be enforced so we just need enough serious members to use it to offset the trolls who are staying just within the rules to avoid infractions but still know how to derail the discussions and run serious members off. But the trolls are few enough in number that they can be put on ignore and we could have some really good discussion there.

It works just like any other forum but the OP sets the rules and direction for the debate. I like it a lot, but it isn't much fun for me if you guys I like to spar with aren't there. :)

Last edited:
Anyone taking being put on ignore - "personally" - should take it personally - because something is wrong.

Not with the person who put them on ignore. But with the person put on ignore and how they are interacting with that particular person or other persons.

Your statement is confusing. If someone puts you on ignore, you are the one that is being put on ignore, and you are saying to take it personally not with the person who put you on ignore, but with the person "put" on ignore......which is yourself! That would make it seem like if someone puts you on ignore, there is something wrong with you? I don't agree with that.....although there are some annoying persons that probably need to be put on ignore because they are constant trolls, but many people are just very sensitive and don't like controversy or being told they are wrong.....and they will put you on ignore when you challenge them. I certainly wouldn't consider something being wrong with me in such a case, but something being wrong with them. If you can't stand being challenged when you make comments, you have no business making statements that will cause that. Perhaps such people should stick to the Coffee Shop forums, or gardening or where there is no caustic debate going on.

I really don't give a crap who puts me on ignore. I'll still respond to their posts if I don't agree with what they say. I don't really care if they respond or not, and, I don't take it personally, this is just a sounding board, but if someone gets nasty with me, they're going to get nasty back.

It was not meant to be confusing. To simplify - your example is the best example. As you do not care who puts you on ignore you have no reason to expect you have a problem, Mertex. The normal person should not "care" whether someone else puts them on ignore.

If you take personally someone else putting you on ignore - then - you have ever reason to examine what personally is wrong with you to exact such an emotion. Understood? I hope so because I am quite certain I did explain this already on this thread.

Okay, I get what you are saying.....

The thing that gets annoying is when those who put someone on ignore and then try to use it as some sort of victory over that person. The thing is, if you had to put that person on ignore, you weren't strong enough to ignore them (without the use of a forum function) or to put them in their place.....so bragging about it just makes that person look weak and needy.....needy of approval from others that they did a heroic thing. The ignore function is for a person's own satisfaction of not having to deal with another person they don't like or don't want to have to converse with, not as some trophy that you won and can keep hitting them on the head with.

Mertex! Darling! TRUST ME! I'm strong enough! There just isn't enough time in a day!

That's because you must be reading their posts. When I want to ignore someone, I just skip over their posts........doesn't take any time at all.....:)

With all due respect, you charged in to me, out of the blue, with a barrage of gratuitous nastiness. No prior contact between us had been forthcoming. I was taken aback at this aggressive behavior to say the least.
I responded to one of your posts, challenged what you said, and you, out of the blue came across as if only people who have been talking to you can respond to your posts.
You were snarky, and you didn't like it when I gave you snark back. If you are going to post comments that can apply to many, you need to grow a thick skin and accept the consequences.

Your problem is that you're snobby and don't realize it. Your problem not mine. And like I said, I don't much care who puts me on ignore....but people like you who keep repeating over and over who you've put on ignore are like a drippy faucet.

I responded to one of your posts, challenged what you said, and you, out of the blue came across as if only people who have been talking to you can respond to your posts.
You were snarky, and you didn't like it when I gave you snark back. If you are going to post comments that can apply to many, you need to grow a thick skin and accept the consequences.

Your problem is that you're snobby and don't realize it. Your problem not mine. And like I said, I don't much care who puts me on ignore....but people like you who keep repeating over and over who you've put on ignore are like a drippy faucet.

We say "tap".

I don't understand why it is so hard for some posters to just scroll past what they don't want to read.

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Why?

Just ignore it.
I had to ignore Kosh, I couldn't handle the robotic posts on repeat. Only person I've ever ignored on a forum.

Forum List

Back