To USMB- The ignore feature

Yes, there are some here who sure do seem to enjoy stalking. :cuckoo: I've been using the ignore feature for people who are stalkers and/or abusive. You know, the ones that follow you from thread to thread, making nasty comments, or the ones you cannot have a discussion with because all they can do is toss about insults? Really, I believe internet forums are rife with very miserable and unstable people . . . obviously. Lol.
Yeah, agree completely. The internet seems like a repository for people who just want to vent their anger and misery. It's a shame, because this board can be interesting before all the flame threads, personal insults and name-calling take over.

Why someone would want to stalk another person who has asked them not to is beyond me.

And the team tags are even worse. Mean spirited people PM their buddies, organize an attack on some member, and then en masse make that member's life as miserable as possible. We have had a lot of good people driven elsewhere just over that kind of hatefulness. In a way that is worse than the stalkers, but the stalkers are bad enough.
Holy crap, seriously?

After having observed the behavior here, I must admit I'm not surprised, come to think of it.

It is the same mentality as that of the stalker. Some people become obsessed in 'getting even' or punishing somebody who disappointed them or who offended them or who they just decided they hate for whatever reason. And there are the childish ones who get off on being bad or rude or insulting. All such people I think are a brick or two shy of a full load, but that's just my opinion.
Yeah, I tend to think it's a self esteem issue, but you never know.

You're probably right. And also an embarrassment issue. Somebody acts like a dick and are ashamed of it but are too immature to admit it. So they deal with that by trying to convince others they were justified in the way they behaved and they do that with bullying tactics. And that too bcomes an obsession with them.

Who needs an ignore feature? Shunning works perfectly well for me. If I find someone to be offensive or annoying, I can easily just not read his posts.

I only put people on ignore that decide they want to send me nasty PMs. If I receive a nasty PM, I will put that person on ignore and then let them know. If they continue to PM me, they will get reported.

Many that are whining about being stalked or that someone is following them forget that this is political board and members can post anywhere they like. If you don't want to be challenged on your comments, then don't make them.....simple as that.

I have a guy stalker who says things about me on threads I'm not even posting in! Lol. I only know because other members have PM'ed me to tell me about it. Some people are just . . . effed up in the head. Sometimes it's a mistake to even get into it with certain people, though they are the minority and for the most part, this is a pretty good place. I like it and don't want to change anything. Just acknowledging the weirdos that might frequent boards such as this. Also, some people are just very angry people apparently.

You can tell if someone is stalking you if you check their "messages" and they only have messages in response to yours, and I think that should be against the rules, but ignoring them, even though it is annoying, is probably the best thing to do......eventually they should get tired of not causing the action they seek.

I only put people on ignore that decide they want to send me nasty PMs. If I receive a nasty PM, I will put that person on ignore and then let them know. If they continue to PM me, they will get reported.

Many that are whining about being stalked or that someone is following them forget that this is political board and members can post anywhere they like. If you don't want to be challenged on your comments, then don't make them.....simple as that.

I have a guy stalker who says things about me on threads I'm not even posting in! Lol. I only know because other members have PM'ed me to tell me about it. Some people are just . . . effed up in the head. Sometimes it's a mistake to even get into it with certain people, though they are the minority and for the most part, this is a pretty good place. I like it and don't want to change anything. Just acknowledging the weirdos that might frequent boards such as this. Also, some people are just very angry people apparently.

Well we have no control over what other people think about us or how they talk about us or how cruel or mean or unjust they are behind our backs. Our only defense is to conduct ourselves so that decent people who matter won't believe them.

This place is a lot better than some others though. At some others, the moderators get involved with piling on and such things. If the moderators or a particular moderator doesn't like you, you're screwed. Lol. :lol: I like this place because that doesn't happen here with mods. The mods here for the most part seem impartial and fair. Granted, they have subjects that they feel strongly about and post a lot too, but they don't get involved in the bullying type of behavior.

Who needs an ignore feature? Shunning works perfectly well for me. If I find someone to be offensive or annoying, I can easily just not read his posts.

That's pretty much my M.O. too. Immodestly perhaps, some people just aren't worth the time. And those who are being intentional pricks just aren't worth the time.

I did that at first, but it doesn't work with some people. More than being offended by it, it is more annoying, IMO. That's why I like the ignore feature. Also, some people's comments can be downright disgusting.

Yeah, but some of them like to send nasty PMs......we shouldn't have to put up with that. If anybody has anything to say to me they can say it on the open board. That's when the ignore works really good.....cause once you warn them they are on ignore, they can't tag you or pm you without breaking a rule.

Y'know, it's really about my own weakness rather than theirs.

Part of the reason I gave up trying to communicate with them is that I'd let myself get suckered into a conversation in which they'd immediately start in with the lying and childish games, and I'd think to myself "now why did I let that happen again?"... So I just do it to avoid the temptation.

It's like Charlie Brown trusting Lucy to hold the football and she pulls it away every time.

1107charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

I did that at first, but it doesn't work with some people. More than being offended by it, it is more annoying, IMO. That's why I like the ignore feature. Also, some people's comments can be downright disgusting.

If one doesn't respond to the cretins, they lose interest.

Y'know, it's really about my own weakness rather than theirs.

Part of the reason I gave up trying to communicate with them is that I'd let myself get suckered into a conversation in which they'd immediately start in with the lying and childish games, and I'd think to myself "now why did I let that happen again?"... So I just do it to avoid the temptation.

It's like Charlie Brown trusting Lucy to hold the football and she pulls it away every time.

1107charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

It's true, especially if you are a very competitive person. :(

Yeah, but some of them like to send nasty PMs......we shouldn't have to put up with that. If anybody has anything to say to me they can say it on the open board. That's when the ignore works really good.....cause once you warn them they are on ignore, they can't tag you or pm you without breaking a rule.

Thankfully I haven't had that happen yet. YET. Lol.

If one doesn't respond to the cretins, they lose interest.

Most do yes. But not all. And especially if they're bored or just feeling especially combative, they'll go look for somebody to harrass. And if somebody they target for harrassment is on line. . . .

Most of them stay just enough within the rules that they can make somebody's life miserable with impunity. Or they go ahead and break rules knowing they'll most likely get away with it. And if you put them on ignore, they just say the trash talk to another member to be sure you can't avoid it when that member responds.

Going back to Mac's request though, I can definitely see the logic in not wanting to see anything related to the person on ignore or not wanting that person to see anything you post. Not sure how ethical that would be though because that would allow somebody to put you on ignore and then trash talk you at will and you wouldn't know it to defend yourself.

Alas, I don't know how it could be structured to eliminate the bullying and trash talk outside of the Flame Zone without losing much of what makes USMB special. Too bad that everybody can't be as wonderful as some of us are (cough), so we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Last edited:

Yepp.

Two suggestions: Can this site be revised a little so that...

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

If you ignore someone, you are essentially hiding from them. That doesn't mean they are hiding from you as well. I reply to some like Statist who claim to have me on ignore, all the time. Just because he is too much of a coward to face me doesn't mean I will stop humiliating him.

I only put people on ignore when they do stalking things like sending me unwanted PM's or otherwise dont' contribute to a conversation.

I currently only have one person on ignore, and it's mostly because he just reposts the same thing in every thread to the point even other people who agree with him ignore him.

Yes, there are some here who sure do seem to enjoy stalking. :cuckoo: I've been using the ignore feature for people who are stalkers and/or abusive. You know, the ones that follow you from thread to thread, making nasty comments, or the ones you cannot have a discussion with because all they can do is toss about insults? Really, I believe internet forums are rife with very miserable and unstable people . . . obviously. Lol.

Oh, and also the ones who never have a point to make. They just post stupid comments to every single thread . . . that's annoying too.
EXACTLY!!! I have someone, who the board no doubt is aware of, who relentlessly stalks me saying "take me off of ignore!!! :eusa_drool: " I am only reminded of it when someone quotes their creepy posts.

If you ignore someone, you are essentially hiding from them. That doesn't mean they are hiding from you as well. I reply to some like Statist who claim to have me on ignore, all the time. Just because he is too much of a coward to face me doesn't mean I will stop humiliating him.
No, I am reclaiming the minutes/hrs lost to reading incessant drivel :thup:

I only put people on ignore when they do stalking things like sending me unwanted PM's or otherwise dont' contribute to a conversation.

I currently only have one person on ignore, and it's mostly because he just reposts the same thing in every thread to the point even other people who agree with him ignore him.

Oh, and also the ones who never have a point to make. They just post stupid comments to every single thread . . . that's annoying too.
EXACTLY!!! I have someone, who the board no doubt is aware of, who relentlessly stalks me saying "take me off of ignore!!! :eusa_drool: " I am only reminded of it when someone quotes their creepy posts.

Yes, there are some creeps on this board (as in real life) that a person is better off to avoid at all costs. :)

Two suggestions: Can this site be revised a little so that...

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

That is not true. The ignore feature works so that you can avoid interacting with those you know are trolls, troublemakers, stalkers, etc. They should consider themselves lucky, in real life I would call the police on a person who followed me around from place to place, calling me names. It is a symptom of a serious mental problem or an obsession when a person stalks you. If the person who does the stalking TRULY did not like you and that was the reason, then they would ignore you too. You see how that works? :D

Forum List

Back