To USMB- The ignore feature

I can totally see that being a problem for you. Those awful womenz are no good, I tell ya! :wink_2:

Thank you for your understanding.

I realize that women find wrinkles, ear hair and diminishing testosterone levels a real turn on, but they need to realize a man of my age just can't keep up with the rapaciousness of their uncontrolled libido.

You need to protect your "special purpose" and put them on ignore. :lol:

Two suggestions: Can this site be revised a little so that...

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

I don't put anyone on ignore. If they have something to say, I assume there is a purpose.
I always have something to learn from each person on here, and often the most opposing views and approaches have the most to offer and benefit from understanding.
I see the entire process, with everyone interacting, as an interconnected conversation.

If people put me or others on ignore, I assume they have other things to focus on.

But I will continue to reply to any message with meaningful content, anyway, as I don't have a problem with people who may have a problem with me. I will still treat all people with the same respect and include them in my world even if they exclude me from theirs.

My posts are not always for the person they are addressed to, but often are for others to play off and keep the discussion going regardless who drops in or out. I see it as very interactive and holistic, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I find mistakes are made and information missed by cutting out sources, especially people and viewpoints most foreign, adverse or hostile to mine. The truth encompasses all views, so it is in my best interest to understand all perspectives if I am going to be fair and complete in my knowledge and assessments.

Some people NEED to be put on ignore, or they don't leave you alone.

Sexual harassment, misogyny and gang banging gets a bit tedious after a while.

I'm really trying to be nice here. It's my business if I decide to put a person on ignore, and I have damn good reasons for doing so.

Sure ChrisL and as I said in a previous post, I have no issue with people like you who use ignore.
Just pointing out I don't have to use it to filter out what where and who to focus on.
if you do, that's your option and it is there for that reason.

I work two jobs, don't have time to waste either.
I use my real name and post my real links to real projects
and I don't have to put anyone on ignore.

I don't know these people either.
If you have a different style for filtering, that's your choice.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, better or worse, just that I don't ever need to use it.

Do they follow you around the board and when you post something, call you nasty names, or even sometimes make nasty comments about you on a thread you are not even currently posting in, or haven't been?

No, the ones who really have an issue with me put me on ignore.
My approach to seeking solutions by conflict resolution does not invite this type of response but deters it.

The worst I get is when people might accuse me of being some label I am not, or promoting things I do not.
And I respond and try to correct this misperception as I do with anyone else who misportrays me or my views
in an inaccurate way that otherwise spreads misinformation.

=======================================
On another site, one member was chatting with others toying with the idea of finding a friend who could track me down in Houston and possibly scare or harm me in some way. I invited to them openly to plan this out transparently and openly. I offered to do an online fundraiser where they could sell tickets to do this publicly, and use the money to raise millions in funds for preserving and restoring national historic landmarks in Houston that I've been trying to promote online. Since I had offered to go on hunger strike to publicize the cause, why not throw in creative ways to clobber me that might go viral and raise more money faster. Given how much money it would take to save the Astrodome, maybe it would work to host an event there, sell millions in tickets to witness a public smackdown. As long as it is for a good cause that makes a lasting statement to end bullying, sure, why not?

Clearly my point was not to be suicidal or invite stalking or lynching, but to promote free speech and exercise to discuss freely and have a choice to do anything within the bounds of what is consensual. When you give people freedom and respect their beliefs and consent, I find they focus on what they really want, and what really works, and quit playing games.

I'm really trying to be nice here. It's my business if I decide to put a person on ignore, and I have damn good reasons for doing so.

Sure ChrisL and as I said in a previous post, I have no issue with people like you who use ignore.
Just pointing out I don't have to use it to filter out what where and who to focus on.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, better or worse, just that I don't ever need to use it.

Do they follow you around the board and when you post something, call you nasty names, or even sometimes make nasty comments about you on a thread you are not even currently posting in, or haven't been?

My approach to seeking solutions by conflict resolution does not invite this type of response but deters it.

The worst I get is when people might accuse me of being some label I am not, or promoting things I do not.
And I respond and try to correct this misperception as I do with anyone else who misportrays me or my views

On another site, one member was chatting with others toying with the idea of finding a friend who could track me down in Houston and possibly scare or harm me in some way. I invited to them openly to plan this out transparently and openly. I offered to do an online fundraiser where they could sell tickets to do this publicly, and use the money to raise millions in funds for preserving and restoring national historic landmarks in Houston that I've been trying to promote online. Since I had offered to go on hunger strike to publicize the cause, why not throw in creative ways to clobber me that might go viral and raise more money faster. Given how much money it would take to save the Astrodome, maybe it would work to host an event there, sell millions in tickets to witness a public smackdown. As long as it is for a good cause that makes a lasting statement to end bullying, sure, why not?

Clearly my point was not to be suicidal or invite stalking or lynching, but to promote free speech and exercise to discuss freely and have a choice to do anything within the bounds of what is consensual. When you give people freedom and respect their beliefs and consent, I find they focus on what they really want, and what really works, and quit playing games.

tldr_longcat.jpg

I don't understand why it is so hard for some posters to just scroll past what they don't want to read.

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Why?

Just ignore it.

there are a lot of pshco nutcases

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

Thanks!

Hey be grateful they upgraded it to where it is NOW where when they quote you and post after you,you don't see their user name displayed.most sites you have to look at their user name when you have them on ignore so be thankful they did that much.

and you just got to accept it that there are some major psycho nutcases in the world out there who it makes them feel better talking to themselves quoting you talking directly to you as if they actually think you are reading their lunatic ramblings.I got a few that do that with me myself as well.It is indeed creepy though that they talk to themselves when you have made it clear to them you have them on ignore.

Hi 9/11 inside job
Given other people I've interacted with who were openly posting threats and scams on another site I was on discussing sociopaths and society, the people here are able to present directly or project indirectly what they believe or mean or have issues with. If people have no purpose or reason for being here, they will not last but will go elsewhere.

And then there are those who are just SO ignorant, there is no getting through to them. I would consider putting those people on ignore too. I like people that I can have a normal discussion with. Sometimes we might get heated and say some things, but if they have valid points to make and are not just outright nasty towards me, then I don't have an issue. You see, I am an adult. I don't have time to deal with the children. Let them play with one another, and I can stay out of it. :D

Nor do I have time to waste. But I don't use ignore to avoid people or issues. I filter and focus in other ways that don't require ignoring or excluding anyone.

tldr_longcat.jpg

Ha ha, and SmarterThanTheAverageBear
goes through the trouble to post that he didn't read a post.

Thanks!

I don't put anyone on ignore. If they have something to say, I assume there is a purpose.
I always have something to learn from each person on here, and often the most opposing views and approaches have the most to offer and benefit from understanding.
I see the entire process, with everyone interacting, as an interconnected conversation.

If people put me or others on ignore, I assume they have other things to focus on.

But I will continue to reply to any message with meaningful content, anyway, as I don't have a problem with people who may have a problem with me. I will still treat all people with the same respect and include them in my world even if they exclude me from theirs.

My posts are not always for the person they are addressed to, but often are for others to play off and keep the discussion going regardless who drops in or out. I see it as very interactive and holistic, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I find mistakes are made and information missed by cutting out sources, especially people and viewpoints most foreign, adverse or hostile to mine. The truth encompasses all views, so it is in my best interest to understand all perspectives if I am going to be fair and complete in my knowledge and assessments.

Yes, so don't practice these things, or anything that invites it, and you're okay.

and you just got to accept it that there are some major psycho nutcases in the world out there who it makes them feel better talking to themselves quoting you talking directly to you as if they actually think you are reading their lunatic ramblings.I got a few that do that with me myself as well.It is indeed creepy though that they talk to themselves when you have made it clear to them you have them on ignore.
Yeah, the psychology of this place can be pretty interesting. Surely there is a reason why someone would keep posting to someone who has them on ignore.

Oh well, life's a mystery.

Thanks!

Yes, so don't practice these things, or anything that invites it, and you're okay.

Practice what things?

Thanks!

Practice what things?

Whatever ends up attracting "sexual harassment, misogyny and gang banging."
Since I don't invite those things, and I'm on the same board as anyone else,
then I must be doing something different. I can only tell you what I'm doing that doesn't attract such responses that I'd have to put anyone on ignore.
It's up to others to figure out what practices work or don't work to attract certain responses.

Practice what things?

then I must be doing something different. I can only tell you what I'm doing that doesn't attract such responses that I'd have to put anyone on ignore.
It's up to others to figure out what practices work or don't work to attract certain responses.

I saw some taunting of you from Wobbly. Did you invite it?

He still does his perverted stuff from the isolation of iggy.

Yeah, the psychology of this place can be pretty interesting. Surely there is a reason why someone would keep posting to someone who has them on ignore.

Oh well, life's a mystery.

Good question. But I've given up wondering. One of the exiles deludes himself that he not really on ignore. As if anyone would want to read his crap.

Practice what things?

I don't have any problems talking with Wobbly, though Wobbly may have issues with me.
I am interested in Wobbly's views, issues, and perception of conflicts so these may be addressed.

Wobbly even explained that on that thread, there wasn't time to discuss in full,
so I asked to discuss that later elsewhere. I have no reason to put Wobbly or Luddly or anyone
on ignore, who always answers honestly what they are objecting to. What's wrong with that?

Practice what things?

I don't have any problems talking with Wobbly, though Wobbly may have issues with me.
I am interested in Wobbly's views, issues, and perception of conflicts so these may be addressed.

Wobbly even explained that on that thread, there wasn't time to discuss in full,
so I asked to discuss that later elsewhere. I have no reason to put Wobbly or Luddly or anyone
on ignore, who always answers honestly what they are objecting to. What's wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with anything. There are no morals involved. You do what you have to do.

Practice what things?

Are you suggesting that people change themselves so that others don't bully them? Good Lord. No Emily, I'm going to be myself. If someone doesn't like me because of that, then I don't care. If they are going to be abusive because of that, then they are going to be ignored.

Practice what things?

And what, pray tell, do you think others might do to "attract" others to be nasty?

Well, la-tee-da and good for you.

Who needs an ignore feature? Shunning works perfectly well for me. If I find someone to be offensive or annoying, I can easily just not read his posts.

I did that at first, but it doesn't work with some people. More than being offended by it, it is more annoying, IMO. That's why I like the ignore feature. Also, some people's comments can be downright disgusting.

If one doesn't respond to the cretins, they lose interest.

Most do yes. But not all. And especially if they're bored or just feeling especially combative, they'll go look for somebody to harrass. And if somebody they target for harrassment is on line. . . .

Most of them stay just enough within the rules that they can make somebody's life miserable with impunity. Or they go ahead and break rules knowing they'll most likely get away with it. And if you put them on ignore, they just say the trash talk to another member to be sure you can't avoid it when that member responds.

Going back to Mac's request though, I can definitely see the logic in not wanting to see anything related to the person on ignore or not wanting that person to see anything you post. Not sure how ethical that would be though because that would allow somebody to put you on ignore and then trash talk you at will and you wouldn't know it to defend yourself.

Alas, I don't know how it could be structured to eliminate the bullying and trash talk outside of the Flame Zone without losing much of what makes USMB special. Too bad that everybody can't be as wonderful as some of us are (cough), so we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

There's nothing wrong with a little trash talk, but some people try to take it to another level, like a personal level. I've found that a lot of times this is mostly with older people, which is kind of surprising . . . :D Like people you would expect to behave like adults. The internet is a very strange world. :lol:

Forum List

Back