The United States of Inequality! Trying to make unequal things equal.

Equal means equal chance NOT equal result!
equal means, being the same. Equality means, the state of being EQUAL, the same, in rights, status, and opportunities. Where are you getting that I'm saying that equality is equal result? Or is that statement just you input?

equal means, being the same. Equality means, the state of being EQUAL, the same, in rights, status, and opportunities. Where are you getting that I'm saying that equality is equal result? Or is that statement just you input?
It's the equal chance to rise above your circumstances. Not all your results are equal because not all amounts of effort are equal.

Hope you are all equal in having the day off, turkey dinner or not. Happy Thanksgiving. am off to get my equal share of the turkey.

But honestly how does it not mean equal result?
To achieve Equality America would have to eliminate or reduce inequality to reach the goal of Equality? Which would mean Equality is the outcome or result of Americas issue of inequality.

Equality and freedom are mutually exclusive. They cannot exist together.
Exactly! America of the free can not be America of the equal. Yet Equality is a lofty goal our country still strives for.

Everyone says it means everyone has equal rights, treatment, opportunity. There is way more to it than that. To achieve equality you have to eliminate or reduce as much inequality as possible. And with the multiple different cultures, religions and beliefs, different races, and different income Equality will never be achievable. It is an unnecessary goal or priority. There will never be equality. Equal rights? How come law enforcement and other government agencies abuse the rights of citizens?
In order to achieve equality everyone would have to have the same beliefs, same income, same religion, same culture, there would have to be no discrimination or racism. Not everyone agree with our rights, and some think we should have more. We have the right to bear arms, half the country agrees and the other half disagrees. Not every culture have the same belief system for citizen rights.

There will never be "Equality" in America. How can 1 country that has citizens from different cultures, different religious beliefs, different races, different income, and different views be equal? It wont happen.
On my street there are 3-4 different races, 2-3 different cultures, 3-4 different religions, and different incomes.
The only way a country could be equal is that every has same income, drives same cars, wears the same clothes, have the same religion, and same views.

A country that has more freedom than others can not be equal.

America will never be a country that is equal.

There will never be "Equality" in America. How can 1 country that has citizens from different cultures, different religious beliefs, different races, different income, and different views be equal? It wont happen.
On my street there are 3-4 different races, 2-3 different cultures, 3-4 different religions, and different incomes.
The only way a country could be equal is that every has same income, drives same cars, wears the same clothes, have the same religion, and same views.

A country that has more freedom than others can not be equal.

America will never be a country that is equal.

It isn’t about making people all the same or equal, never has been. It’s about equal and fair treatment and opportunity, not equal outcome.
Equality is the outcome of everyone having equal treatment and opportunity. Everything I mentioned in my OP will never allow for total equality. Equal treatment and opportunity needs a lot more different inequalities eliminated and more equality created.
Equal opportunity arises from similar treatment of all people.

To achieve Equal opportunity, social equality needs to be achieved. Social equality is same status in certain respects, civil rights, freedom of speech, property rights, and equal access to certain goods and services, and the absence of discrimination. To achieve social equality, racial equality, health equality, and educational equality needs to be achieved. And income and economic equality needs equality of opportunities to be achieved. As you see every inequality effects the ability to achieve equality. Equality needs to be achieved before anything could be considered equal. So for there to be equal and fair treatment and opportunity there would have to be no inequalities.

For there to be equal and fair treatment, rights, and opportunity Everyone would have the same(equal) beliefs, in order for same beliefs,religion will play a big part, and in order for same religion, culture and race play a big part.

Outcome means the way a thing turn out.
Equal means the same thing in all respects.

Equal conditions should produce equal results or outcomes

Equal opportunity is everyone having the same opportunity no matter what. So achieving equal opportunity is the outcome of making everyone having unequal opportunities, equal.

It's the equal chance to rise above your circumstances. Not all your results are equal because not all amounts of effort are equal.
To give everyone equal opportunity, everyones circumstance would have to be equal. Opportunity means a set of circumstances that make it possible to do something. So everyones circumstance would have to be equal to one anothers circumstance. To have equal opportunity everyone would have to be given equal circumstances to make it possible to do something.

Applying for a CEO job. Having Equal opportunity means everyone would have equal chance to apply no matter education level or whether or not they have experience or knowledge of the job they are applying for. In order to give everyone equal opportunity for the position everyone would have to have equal circumstances or everyone's circumstance wouldn't be considered in the hiring process, so the outcome is everyone has an equal chance.

equal chance than who to rise above your circumstance. A circumstance is a condition relevant to an event or action.
The equal chance to rise above your circumstances? So me and you and him and her all have the equal chance to rise above our circumstances? So your saying that equality is the equal chance to rise above your circumstance? I would like to think every one has the equal possibility of rising above your circumstance. Everyone has the equal opportunity for an end result. Equal opportunity is more than just having an equal chance and equality can be an outcome. Outcome means a way something turns out. Equal opportunity is the outcome of everyone having an equal opportunity

equal chance than who to rise above your circumstance. A circumstance is a condition relevant to an event or action.
The equal chance to rise above your circumstances? So me and you and him and her all have the equal chance to rise above our circumstances? So your saying that equality is the equal chance to rise above your circumstance? I would like to think every one has the equal possibility of rising above your circumstance. Everyone has the equal opportunity for an end result. Equal opportunity is more than just having an equal chance and equality can be an outcome. Outcome means a way something turns out. Equal opportunity is the outcome of everyone having an equal opportunity
Equal means the same not the possibility of something happening

But their will never be fair treatment or opportunity when there are so many different people with different beliefs and/or views.

There most definitely can be equal opportunity and fair treatment. There will never be equal outcomes because some people are smarter, some work harder, and some jobs are valued more.

Equality isn’t about material goods or everybody having the same things or the same salary. It’s about having equal justice, and equal opportunities.

I live in a country where that’s more true than it is for the US. Where discrimination in the name of religion isn’t tolerated or protected. You can believe what you want but you must respect the rights of others.

No, America is not trying to make unequal things equal--Democrats are. Republicans believe in making opportunity equal. Results are the outcome of exercising such opportunities.

But their will never be fair treatment or opportunity when there are so many different people with different beliefs and/or views.

There most definitely can be equal opportunity and fair treatment. There will never be equal outcomes because some people are smarter, some work harder, and some jobs are valued more.

Equality isn’t about material goods or everybody having the same things or the same salary. It’s about having equal justice, and equal opportunities.

I live in a country where that’s more true than it is for the US. Where discrimination in the name of religion isn’t tolerated or protected. You can believe what you want but you must respect the rights of others.
There is a possibility for there to be equal opportunity and treatment. But what someone thinks fair doesn't mean another does. There will also be restrictions qualifications, there will never be 100% equal opportunities and treatment. I respect the rights of others, how am I not?

I don't know what country you are from but in America income inequality is one of the biggest issues of inequality.

No, America is not trying to make unequal things equal--Democrats are. Republicans believe in making opportunity equal. Results are the outcome of exercising such opportunities.
There will never be equality in America. You cannot have freedom and equality.

And why not? There may never be outcome equality, but there is opportunity equality. If not, give me an example of why not.

We are all entitled to no charge primary education.
We are all capable of acquiring advanced education.
We are all guaranteed equality in seeking employment.
We are all capable of investing our money instead of spending it.
We are all capable of not having a family or having a family only when financial stability is acquired.
We are all capable of moving to where the most opportunity exists.

"People say it's unfair to move ahead because it means leaving others behind. Well...that's the idea of moving ahead. If we all moved ahead the same distance at the same time, then nobody gets ahead."
Andrew Wilkow

In America, there are other issues that need to achieve equality before there will ever be equal opportunities, treatment, or justice.
'
Material and income is a sign of status. With different statuses you can not have equality.

And why not? There may never be outcome equality, but there is opportunity equality. If not, give me an example of why not.

We are all entitled to no charge primary education.
We are all capable of acquiring advanced education.
We are all guaranteed equality in seeking employment.
We are all capable of investing our money instead of spending it.
We are all capable of not having a family or having a family only when financial stability is acquired.
We are all capable of moving to where the most opportunity exists.

"People say it's unfair to move ahead because it means leaving others behind. Well...that's the idea of moving ahead. If we all moved ahead the same distance at the same time, then nobody gets ahead."
Andrew Wilkow
We are not guaranteed equality in seeking employment. Being capable of acquiring advanced education is not an equal opportunity for advanced education when the cost of education varies from person to person. Capable is not equal.

When there is a slight chance of being equal, when filling out any paper work does not require to check which race you are.

Forum List

Back