The Left Controls the Media

Keep those CON$ervofascist talking points coming. :asshole:
Poor Ed. Just can't handle the truth.

Air America Funds Returned To a Bronx Boys and Girls Club - September 28, 2006 - The New York Sun
Last summer, as part of DOI's investigation into the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club regarding improper expenditures of city funds, the agency discovered that the club had transferred $875,000 to Air America in the period leading up to the network's launch in March 2004. A co-founder of Air America, Evan Montvel Cohen, had simultaneously served as development director for the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club. Mr. Cohen later told The New York Sun that he arranged the transfer of $875,000 to the radio network from the club.​
Screw the poor kids. There are leftist rants that need to be broadcast!!
Defend one CON$ervative talking point with yet another CON$ervative talking point.

First of all GOP operative Cohen...
From your link:
Montvel-Cohen was the founder and first chairman of Air America.​
Looks like you're a liar, Ed.

But so what else is new?

Yes, it was masterful the way Air America put Rush out of business.

Well, there you go...we have one nut in this thread admitting that the left doesn't control the media.
Now, now, there's no need to mindlessly lash out when I point out what an utter failure your vaunted "liberal business acumen" is.

But then, that's pretty much all you're capable of.

I said that to get someone like you to take the bait and fall into the trap of admitting that the left doesn't control the media. I assumed either talk radio, or Foxnew's ratings, would be the comeback.

You went with the former, right on cue.

Yes, it was masterful the way Air America put Rush out of business.

Well, there you go...we have one nut in this thread admitting that the left doesn't control the media.
Now, now, there's no need to mindlessly lash out when I point out what an utter failure your vaunted "liberal business acumen" is.

Ok, so liberals don't control the media because they don't have the business acumen to do so,

or liberals DO control the media.

Which is it?

Time for a fact break:

Myth: The U.S. has a liberal media.

Fact: The media are being increasingly monopolized by parent corporations with pro-corporate or conservative agendas.

Summary

The U.S. media are rapidly being monopolized by a dwindling number of parent corporations, all of whom have conservative economic agendas. The media are also critically dependent upon corporations for advertising. As a result, the news almost completely ignores corporate crime, as well as pro-labor and pro-consumer issues. Surveys of journalists show that the majority were personally liberal in the 1980s, but today they are centrists, with more conservatives than liberals on economic issues. However, no study has proven that they give their personal bias to the news. On the other hand, the political spectrum of pundits -- who do engage in noisy editorializing -- leans heavily to the right. The most extreme example of this is talk radio, where liberals are almost nonexistent. The Fairness Doctrine was designed to prevent one-sided bias in the media by requiring broadcasters to air opposing views. It once enjoyed the broad support of both liberals and conservatives. But now that the media have become increasingly owned and controlled by corporations, conservatives defiantly oppose the Fairness Doctrine. This is probably the best proof that the media's bias is conservative, not liberal.

Argument

Conservatives often promote the myth that the U.S. media are liberal. This myth serves several purposes: it raises public skepticism about liberal news stories, hides conservative bias when it appears, and goads the media to the right. GOP strategist William Kristol also reveals another reason: "I admit it: the liberal media were never that powerful, and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures." (1)

In unguarded moments, however, even far-right figures like Pat Buchanan come clean: "The truth is, I've gotten fairer, more comprehensive coverage of my ideas than I ever imagined I would receive." He further conceded: "I've gotten balanced coverage and broad coverage -- all we could have asked… For heaven sakes, we kid about the liberal media, but every Republican on earth does that." (2)

The U.S. has a liberal media

I said that to get someone like you to take the bait and fall into the trap of admitting that the left doesn't control the media. I assumed either talk radio, or Foxnew's ratings, would be the comeback.

You went with the former, right on cue.
Uh huh. Still trying to pretend the left doesn't have a lock on broadcast news and print.

And still no word of condemnation for Air America and their leftist enablers taking money from poor kids.

Hey, can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, right?

Ok, so liberals don't control the media because they don't have the business acumen to do so,

or liberals DO control the media.

Which is it?
Liberals control broadcast news (which reaches the most people) and print media.

Liberals haven't been able to break into talk radio because they lack the business acumen and because people just don't want to hear angry ranting leftists all the time.

Keep those CON$ervofascist talking points coming. :asshole:

Air America Funds Returned To a Bronx Boys and Girls Club - September 28, 2006 - The New York Sun
Last summer, as part of DOI's investigation into the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club regarding improper expenditures of city funds, the agency discovered that the club had transferred $875,000 to Air America in the period leading up to the network's launch in March 2004. A co-founder of Air America, Evan Montvel Cohen, had simultaneously served as development director for the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club. Mr. Cohen later told The New York Sun that he arranged the transfer of $875,000 to the radio network from the club.​
Defend one CON$ervative talking point with yet another CON$ervative talking point.

First of all GOP operative Cohen, former Chief of Staff for Republican Governor Tommy Tanaka, only transferred $480,000 to Progress Media, not Air America, the other $395,000 was embezzled by the other executives of the Gloria Wise B & G Club for their own personal use. When Progress Media was sold to Piquant LLC in 2004, the $875,000 was repaid by Piquant, not Air America, as part of the sale. The truth is never quite the same as CON$ spin it! But keep those CON$ervative talking points coming.

Air America Scam Artist, Montvel-Cohen, Arrested in Guam

Cohen was the Director of Development for the Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Clubs, in 2003, when he and business partner Rex Sorensen, CEO of Sorensen Media Group, created Progress Media Inc. On March 31, 2004, Air America was launched. It was discovered that Cohen had secured part of the money used to found the network by a loan from his employer, the non-profit Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Clubs. Approved by the board of directors and in the amount of $480,000, it went to Cohen's company Progress Media, then owner of Air America Radio. The Gloria Wise group was a non-profit organization, partially funded by the city of New York, which provided services for children and seniors in the Bronx. When the funds were transferred, Evan Montvel-Cohen, was still Director of Development for Gloria Wise. This was part of a larger misappropriation of funds by the organization's executives, which saw several of them receiving money from the organization that was in turned used for personal expenditures. By the time this was revealed, Progress Media Inc. had sold its Air America rights to Piquant LLC (in November 2004), who later agreed to repay Gloria Wise $875,000 worth of the debt, as a condition of the sale.
daveman is caught in ANOTHER lie???

Who - besides everyone who has ever encountered him - would have thought!

First of all GOP operative Cohen, former Chief of Staff for Republican Governor Tommy Tanaka, only transferred $480,000 to Progress Media, not Air America, the other $395,000 was embezzled by the other executives of the Gloria Wise B & G Club for their own personal use. When Progress Media was sold to Piquant LLC in 2004, the $875,000 was repaid by Piquant, not Air America, as part of the sale. The truth is never quite the same as CON$ spin it! But keep those CON$ervative talking points coming.

Cohen was the Director of Development for the Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Clubs, in 2003, when he and business partner Rex Sorensen, CEO of Sorensen Media Group, created Progress Media Inc. On March 31, 2004, Air America was launched. It was discovered that Cohen had secured part of the money used to found the network by a loan from his employer, the non-profit Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Clubs. Approved by the board of directors and in the amount of $480,000, it went to Cohen's company Progress Media, then owner of Air America Radio. The Gloria Wise group was a non-profit organization, partially funded by the city of New York, which provided services for children and seniors in the Bronx. When the funds were transferred, Evan Montvel-Cohen, was still Director of Development for Gloria Wise. This was part of a larger misappropriation of funds by the organization's executives, which saw several of them receiving money from the organization that was in turned used for personal expenditures. By the time this was revealed, Progress Media Inc. had sold its Air America rights to Piquant LLC (in November 2004), who later agreed to repay Gloria Wise $875,000 worth of the debt, as a condition of the sale.

So you're saying leftists DIDN'T illegally divert funds from a club for poor children to underwrite Air America?

You sure you want to go with that?

Oh, and don't you DARE criticize that behavior.

Wait, I thought you were going to provide links proving conservatives saying the media picks the president is a talking point?

Meanwhile, we weren't talking about Operation Chaos.

Your deflection is noted and expected. You fail. As usual.

Operation Chaos is an example - do you need me to link to Operation Chaos? :lol:
You said: "Is it or is it not a Rightwing talking point that the Liberal media will pick the president?"

You didn't mention OC. Why do you want to move the goalposts now?

That's a rhetorical question. I already know the answer.

OC is an example, as I've said a few times already. Why are you ignoring it?

Rhetorical questions are the only questions you are able to answer, because you are asking yourself.

daveman said:
Keep running from your contention that it's not a Republican talking point that the media picks the president. You're not fooling anyone, except maybe Dr. House.
Did you ever find any links proving "the liberal media will pick the President" is a right-wing talking point?

Because you haven't posted any. I know you desperately want me to just accept your word, but that's simply not going to happen.

The Media Want To Pick A President For You Because You Aren?t Smart Enough : Personal Liberty Digest™

Bachmann: Media, Not Voters, Picking Winners - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

The media will choose our next president - Topix

EastCoastChickens.com • View topic - will the news media pick our president?

Why do you let the Media pick your President? - Yahoo! Answers

Media Choosing Our Next President? YES!, page 1

Debate: Does the press pick presidents? - US Elections - Helium

Do You Let The Media Pick Your President? | Socyberty

Don

How The Corporate Media Hand-Picks Presidential Candidates! Time to WAKE UP! | Thom Hartmann - News & info from the #1 progressive radio show

Don’t Let the Media Pick Our Candidate | Conservative Byte

https://bellalu0.wordpress.com/2011...epublican-candidate-for-president-they-think/

FOOL! :lol:

Last edited:
Operation Chaos is an example - do you need me to link to Operation Chaos? :lol:
You said: "Is it or is it not a Rightwing talking point that the Liberal media will pick the president?"

Because we weren't discussing it, were we?
Rhetorical questions are the only questions you are able to answer, because you are asking yourself.
If you weren't so painfully predictable, I wouldn't have to ask questions I already know the answer to.
There, was that so hard? How many hours did it take you to find those links?

I'll grant it may indeed be a talking point among a few of the right. (Yahoo Answers? Really? :lol:)

But I hadn't heard it. Nor, I suspect, have most other conservatives here.

But you just keep telling yourself you won. :lol:

So you're saying leftists DIDN'T illegally divert funds from a club for poor children to underwrite Air America?

What were you saying about moving goalposts?

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif

You know, I keep waiting for Daveman to actually argue rather than spew insults and automatic talking points. Think that's his New Year's resolution?

Because we weren't discussing it, were we?

If you weren't so painfully predictable, I wouldn't have to ask questions I already know the answer to.
There, was that so hard? How many hours did it take you to find those links?

I'll grant it may indeed be a talking point among a few of the right. (Yahoo Answers? Really? :lol:)

But I hadn't heard it. Nor, I suspect, have most other conservatives here.

But you just keep telling yourself you won. :lol:
It took all of one Google search, a few minutes ago:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

That's FAIL #1

I included the Yahoo! Answers one because - obviously - a wingnut who has been exposed to this Rightwing Talking Point has perpetuated it.

That's FAIL #2

If you claim to not have ever heard the meme that the mainstream media is picking the president, then it just confirms that you are a liar.

That's FAIL #3

I most certainly did 'win'. :)

That's FAIL #4

Damn - even California Girl couldn't fail that many times in such a short post! You're starting off the New Year in perfect form. :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

That's FAIL #1

I included the Yahoo! Answers one because - obviously - a wingnut who has been exposed to this Rightwing Talking Point has perpetuated it.

That's FAIL #2

If you claim to not have ever heard the meme that the mainstream media is picking the president, then it just confirms that you are a liar.

That's FAIL #3

That's FAIL #4

Damn - even California Girl couldn't fail that many times in such a short post! You're starting off the New Year in perfect form. :lol:

Prediction: His next answer will be "You didn't prove a thing." You read it here first.

The perpetual CON$ervative dumb act again. They were posted in my exchange with the right-wing hack Meister.

Since, as a CON$ervative, you are too lazy to go back and read them, I'll summarize.

The authors, passed off as Libs because of their connection to UCLA, are hacks for the biggest and most radical right-wing think tanks, Heritage Foundation, AEI, and the Hoover Institute, as well as contributers of right -wing propaganda for RW extremist publications like The American Spectator. Groseclose was a Hoover Institution 2000-2001 national fellow; Milyo, received a $40,500 grant from AEI; and, Groseclose and Milyo were named by Heritage as Salvatori fellows in 1997.

To get their cooked results, they used a Politician's ADA ratings and think tanks to determine MEDIA bias. So if a poiltician with a CON$ervative rating cites the ACLU think tank, that makes the ACLU CON$ervative and any media that cites the ACLU is also CON$ervative. Now you say, the ACLU is about as Liberal as a think tank can get, but in the fake "study" the ACLU was rated as CON$ervative, the Right-wing Rand Corporation was rated Liberal, and the Liberal think tank Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments was rated as more "conservative" than AEI and than the National Taxpayers Union. Thus Drudge leans Left and Brit Hume is in the Middle.

Now depending on how many times the Media cited the think tanks that were rated by the politician cites determines the media bias. This rating system is so moronic and worthless that only a CON$ervative would be stupid enough not to see it no matter how many times it is explained and swallow it whole and without question. Obviously CON$ are the target audience for the phony "study" from the "Liberal" UCLA.

Thank you in advance for your apology.

so their rating system is flawed? I see. and the screed against the authors? in your understanding, anyone that takes grants from any 'right wing' org. is tainted, there fore any study performed under the umbrella of a liberal org. ala grants is tainted as well?

anyway, if the results are cooked, why did UCLA not disown the study? It is published as their sponsored product ...no?

and as ucla noted;

"No matter the results, we feared our findings would've been suspect if we'd received support from any group that could be perceived as right- or left-leaning, so we consciously decided to fund this project only with our own salaries and research funds that our own universities provided," Groseclose said.

according to the press release I saw Hume was rated right of center not centrist btw and they noted;

Since Groseclose and Milyo were more concerned with bias in news reporting than opinion pieces, which are designed to stake a political position, they omitted editorials and Op‑Eds from their tallies. This is one reason their study finds The Wall Street Journal more liberal than conventional wisdom asserts.

I find it interesting that you seem to admit the aclu is a liberal org. and I wasn't aware they ran a think tank too, can you link to it please?

and if you are going to just cite media matters you really would have been better off just linking to them.

have you read the study itself? for instance your examples ala Rand corp.;

The second apparent anomaly is the RAND Corporation, which has a fairly liberal average score, 60.4. We mentioned this finding to some employees of RAND, who told us they were not surprised.

While RAND strives to be middle-of-the-road ideologically, the more conservative scholars at RAND tend to work on military studies, while the more liberal scholars tend to work on domestic studies. Because the military studies are sometimes classified and often more technocratic than the domestic studies, the media and members of Congress tend to cite the domestic studies disproportionately. As a consequence, RAND appears liberal when judged by these citations. It is important to note that this fact—that the research at RAND is more conservative than the numbers in Table 1 suggest—will not bias our results. To see this, think of RAND as two think tanks: RAND I, the left-leaning think tank which produces the research that the media and members of Congress tend to cite, and RAND II, the conservative think tank which produces the research that they tend not to cite. Our results exclude RAND II from the analysis. This causes no more bias than excluding any other think tank that is rarely cited in Congress or the media.

anyway, I assume you have read my posts here-

Q; in light of the following I am curious-

85 percent of Columbia Graduate School of Journalism students identified themselves as liberal, versus 11 percent conservative" (Lichter, Rothman, and Lichter 1986: 48), quoted in Sutter, 2001.

what slant would you expect of the media in general? As further studies have shown newsrooms, networks etc. have approx. the same ideological make up?

Gee, what a surprise! NOT! Rather than admit the rating system is not just flawed, but moronic on its face, you choose to misrepresent what I said. I pointed out the the authors are CON$ and not Libs because they are from UCLA as presented by CON$. Rather than admit your fellow travelers were deliberately misrepresenting the authors as Libs, you misrepresent me. No surprise there from a typical CON$ervative.

And it is the "study" you are worshiping that lists the ACLU as a CON$ervative think tank, so you have unwittingly exposed yet another flaw in their "study."
Thank you, keep it up.

And don't change the subject with questions from more phony data to deflect from the stupidity of the "study" in question.

here, Reading Comprehension Connection: Home

I never argued many of the points you are refuting. read what I write not what you want me to say so as to fashion your own answer making yourself right. see the course above for help.

I am not arguing the merits of the studies mechanics merely pointing out flaws in your characterizations and the particulars ala Hume etc. you chose to highlight as proof the study was cooked, that was your assertion.

You didn't read the report, you went to media matters et al and they told you what to say, and, you parrot it here. Thats why I asked you that question at the end of my last post- the topic of the thread is;

The Left Controls the Media

so frankly, your choosing now to laud your sheepish brilliance by attempting to close off debate is the usual, so again, I will ask-

Question 1; in light of the following I am curious-

85 percent of Columbia Graduate School of Journalism students identified themselves as liberal, versus 11 percent conservative" (Lichter, Rothman, and Lichter 1986: 48), quoted in Sutter, 2001.

what slant would you expect of the media in general? As further studies have shown newsrooms, networks etc. have approx. the same ideological make up?

and to your point ala the aclu;

here is the quote from their study, with the sublinks you would have seen IF you had actually read the report ;

The web site, WheretodoResearch lists 200 of the most prominent think tanks and policy groups in the U.S.

WheretodoResearch

WheretodoResearch.com - Directory of 200 Think Tanks and Policy Groups Sites

American Civil Liberties Union

I found this interesting to;

While most of these averages closely agree with the conventional wisdom, two cases seem somewhat anomalous. The first is the ACLU. The average score of legislators citing it was 49.8. Later, we shall provide reasons why it makes sense to define the political center at 50.1. This suggests that the ACLU, if anything is a right-leaning organization. The reason the ACLU has such a low score is that it opposed the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance bill, and conservatives in Congress cited this often. In fact, slightly more than one-eight of all ACLU citations in Congress were due to one person alone, Mitch McConnell (R.-Kt.), perhaps the chief critic of McCain-Feingold. If we omit McConnell’s citations, the ACLU’s average score increases to 55.9. Because of this anomaly, in the Appendix we report the results when we repeat all of our analyses but omit the ACLU data.

I noticed you didn't comment on the Rand corp. blurb from the study either.

So, lets clear things up,it appears in your opinion any study can be characterized as slanted if one starts out with the premise that the authors are slanted, so, again;

Question 2- ergo; any study too, that is performed by left leaning self identified authors is slanted left, that is what you inferred very strongly vis a vis goreclose and his being a 'righty'.

is that correct?

yes, or no.

so please answer my 2 questions, it would clear things up.

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif
You just make sure you don't criticize that behavior.

No enemies on the Left. You don't give a shit about poor kids, as long as the agenda is served.

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif

You know, I keep waiting for Daveman to actually argue rather than spew insults and automatic talking points. Think that's his New Year's resolution?
"It's a strange world when left is always right and right is always wrong."

Yes, you're one of those "independent thinkers" who just coincidentally comes up with the same idea as the rest of the "independent thinkers", aren't you? :lol:

That's FAIL #1
Yes, but you made the claim about 27 hours ago. :rofl:

So, it looks like you fail.

That's FAIL #2
Double standard much? You've criticized me countless times for citing leftist message board posters. So Yahoo Answers is disallowable, using your own standards.

That's FAIL #3
No, it doesn't. It means you can't prove I've heard it.

That's FAIL #4

Yes, you won.

Oh, wait -- no, you didn't. :lol:

Forum List

Back