The Bible. Myth or Reality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAEpc1zhcuo

As a Gnostic Christian I see literal reading of the Bible as a gross distortion of what the Bible was written to do. That being to inspire people to seek God and his best laws and rules. Literal readers just become idol worshipers and do not seek God the way Jesus instructed.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Literal reading has created and idol worshiping closed minded people who have settled for an immoral God whom we name as a demiurge as his morals, if literally true, are more satanic than God like.

Literal reading has also created a climate where scholars and experts, historians and archeologist, and all the academically well accepted information they uncover, --- is being ignored or called lies by those who are not academics of the various disciplines.

What is the point of producing good academics if literalists are going to ignore facts because of blind faith?

Remember please that if not a book of myths, then real talking serpents are somehow supposed to still exist and believers have to believe in a lot of supernatural phenomenon without any evidence whatsoever. Literalist Christians, it seems to me, have suspended rational judgement that has created in Christians a new Dark Age of thought and an Inquisitional attitude towards all other thinking. They no longer seek God and are true idol worshipers instead of the God seekers that Jesus wanted to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBxFXQy7-M

Do you think the Bible to be a book of myths or a book trying to show reality and history?

Regards
DL

both

the same way oral stories get handed down and stories in the form of parables as Jesus taught. Stories tell of a history of a people and how they came to find god. It reflex a reality of how people are not necessary and exact mirror image.

Most myths have a basis in reality.

True. And the reality of the bible myths is that they were plagiarized by Christianity from other traditions and myths.

They just did not do a good job of it.

Regards
DL

and Islam plagiarized the bible.
and nations plagiarize our laws from the religious text back to the time of Hammurabi and Gilgamesh
we have our good vs evil, right from wrong.
be it nature or our thoughts/ideas we keep evolving, building on the past.

As a Gnostic Christian I see literal reading of the Bible as a gross distortion of what the Bible was written to do. That being to inspire people to seek God and his best laws and rules. Literal readers just become idol worshipers and do not seek God the way Jesus instructed.

Literal reading has created and idol worshiping closed minded people who have settled for an immoral God whom we name as a demiurge as his morals, if literally true, are more satanic than God like.

Literal reading has also created a climate where scholars and experts, historians and archeologist, and all the academically well accepted information they uncover, --- is being ignored or called lies by those who are not academics of the various disciplines.

What is the point of producing good academics if literalists are going to ignore facts because of blind faith?

Remember please that if not a book of myths, then real talking serpents are somehow supposed to still exist and believers have to believe in a lot of supernatural phenomenon without any evidence whatsoever. Literalist Christians, it seems to me, have suspended rational judgement that has created in Christians a new Dark Age of thought and an Inquisitional attitude towards all other thinking. They no longer seek God and are true idol worshipers instead of the God seekers that Jesus wanted to see.

Do you think the Bible to be a book of myths or a book trying to show reality and history?

Regards
DL

both

the same way oral stories get handed down and stories in the form of parables as Jesus taught. Stories tell of a history of a people and how they came to find god. It reflex a reality of how people are not necessary and exact mirror image.

Most myths have a basis in reality.

True. And the reality of the bible myths is that they were plagiarized by Christianity from other traditions and myths.

They just did not do a good job of it.

Regards
DL

and Islam plagiarized the bible.
and nations plagiarize our laws from the religious text back to the time of Hammurabi and Gilgamesh
we have our good vs evil, right from wrong.
be it nature or our thoughts/ideas we keep evolving, building on the past.

Indeed, while backward thinking religions and their thoughtless sheep try to stop our upward progression.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
Tellit to every christian church in my city.

Indeed, while backward thinking religions and their thoughtless sheep try to stop our upward progression

Do you realize progressive liberalism was the downfall of many a society? I have no clue why people think that this nation is making forward progress? Where is the proof? I see us in a spiraling decline.

Did my post 109 strike you dumb buddy.

Are you a newbie without staying power?

Regards
DL

Why? Did you miss me?

Post me again and I'll try to answer in the morning. I am a newbie, yes, but, I'll be around for as long as I enjoy the board....

The discussion was on hell being a moral construct or not and the fact that only a vile and immoral God would create such a place.

------------------

Judgment and punishment go hand in hand.

Our human laws have a form of punishment where the penalty is graduated to fit the crime. An eye for an eye type of justice.

God‘s punishment seems to surpass this standard with hell. Hell used here is the eternal fire and torture type of hell and I am not particularly interested in the myriad of other definitions and theories that some use to supplant this traditional view.

To ascertain if hell would be a moral construct or not, all you need do is answer these simple question for yourself.

1. Is it good justice for a soul to be able to sin for only 120 years and then have to suffer torture for 12000000000000000000000000 + years?

2. Is it good justice for small or mediocre sinners to have to bear the same sentence as Hitler, Stalin and other genocidal maniacs?

This might actually include God if you see Noah’s flood as God using genocide and not justice against man. Pardon the digression.

Punishment is usually only given to change attitude or actions and cause the sinner to repent.

3. Is it good justice to continue to torture a soul in hell if no change in attitude or actions are to result?

4. If you answered yes to these questions, then would killing the soul not be a better form of justice than to torture it for no possible good result or purpose?

Is hell a moral construct or not?

Please explain your reasons and know that ---just because you think God created it ---does not explain your moral judgment. It is your view I seek and not God’s as no one can speak for God.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
Tellit to every christian church in my city.

It's your city my friend. You are there. I am not.

Regards
DL

Indeed, while backward thinking religions and their thoughtless sheep try to stop our upward progression

Do you realize progressive liberalism was the downfall of many a society? I have no clue why people think that this nation is making forward progress? Where is the proof? I see us in a spiraling decline.

Think global, not local.

But at the U.S level, the fact that gay marriage is now kosher says that you are progressing and not declining.

If you are homophobic then I can see where you would see a decline.

Regards
DL

Can you DISPROVE anything in the Bible?

Look up logical fallacy.

Is the onus for proof not to the one who is making the claim?

If you say that there is a God, do you not have a moral responsibility to show the proof?

Regards
DL
I have the Christian responsibility to tell people about the Gospel. The evidence or proof will be revealed from there. That is up to God

Think global, not local.

But at the U.S level, the fact that gay marriage is now kosher says that you are progressing and not declining.

Regards
DL

History shows with sexual liberalism comes decline. What authority say it's progress? You? Majority? Surely you are not that weak minded

Look up logical fallacy.

If you say that there is a God, do you not have a moral responsibility to show the proof?

Regards
DL
I have the Christian responsibility to tell people about the Gospel. The evidence or proof will be revealed from there. That is up to God

Wow. No moral responsibility for what you say.

Immoral that but nice deal for you.

Regards
DL

Think global, not local.

Regards
DL

History shows with sexual liberalism comes decline. What authority say it's progress? You? Majority? Surely you are not that weak minded

So you will ignore the majority of Christians to maintain your homophobia.

Why does your God create gays?

Just for those of your ilk to hate or does he have some other motive?

Regards
DL

P.S. Did you see post 128?

Look up logical fallacy.

Regards
DL

No you have the responsibility to do nice thing for others and set a good example, not tell them how to pray or who/what to pray to.

No you have the responsibility to do nice thing for others and set a good example, not tell them how to pray or who/what to pray to

Telling people about the gospel is informing people; not telling them what to do.
Telling people about the gospel is like telling someone about a good deal at a store. Wouldn't you want to know about that? Or a store giving away "freebies"? Wouldn't you want to know about that?

Will go back and look at #128 in a sec.....

Well, I'm not homophobic. irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals. I'm not afraid of homosexuals. I'm not even averse to them. I actually enjoy being around them because they are fun and funny -

Oooh I feel another debate coming on with this question. God created us. Our sin caused us to now have to deal with all kinds of issues. God did not create us to be gay, no. God did not create child molesters. God did not create rapists. God did no create heterosexual sex addicts or habitual "cheaters".

Again, I don't hate. Please give me an example of a hateful thing I have said.

Judgment and punishment go hand in hand.
Our human laws have a form of punishment where the penalty is graduated to fit the crime. An eye for an eye type of justice. God‘s punishment seems to surpass this standard with hell. Hell used here is the eternal fire and torture .....

1. Is it good justice for a soul to be able to sin for only 120 years and then have to suffer torture for 12000000000000000000000000 + years? He doesn't have to. It's his choice to go there.

2. Is it good justice for small or mediocre sinners to have to bear the same sentence as Hitler, Stalin and other genocidal maniacs? We are all sinful and imperfect in God's eyes. Only through Jesus can we be acceptable in his sight. Being a Christian, I can divorce myself from God's justice.

This might actually include God if you see Noah’s flood as God using genocide and not justice against man. Pardon the digression. God called for many people to be murdered (children women animals etc.)

Punishment is usually only given to change attitude or actions and cause the sinner to repent. Uh no. Not sure if you are speaking about men punishing or God here (pardon my ignorance...)

3. Is it good justice to continue to torture a soul in hell if no change in attitude or actions are to result? Hell was created for Satan and his demons. Unfortunately, people that reject God/Jesus will go there as this is their choice.

4. If you answered yes to these questions, then would killing the soul not be a better form of justice than to torture it for no possible good result or purpose? Again, being a Christian, I can't say I would know better than God. No man knows better than God.

Is hell a moral construct or not? - God alone gets to determine what is moral.

Please explain your reasons and know that ---just because you think God created it ---does not explain your moral judgment. It is your view I seek and not God’s as no one can speak for God.

My moral judgment is that God is the moral compass. Since I believe he is perfect, he can't make errors.
Now, you can ask me "If you were God, would you....." I could answer but still, I know I don't know better than God so if I determined the moral compass, it would be wrong.

Will go back and look at #128 in a sec.....

Well, I'm not homophobic. irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals. I'm not afraid of homosexuals. I'm not even averse to them. I actually enjoy being around them because they are fun and funny -

Oooh I feel another debate coming on with this question. God created us. Our sin caused us to now have to deal with all kinds of issues. God did not create us to be gay, no. God did not create child molesters. God did not create rapists. God did no create heterosexual sex addicts or habitual "cheaters".

Again, I don't hate. Please give me an example of a hateful thing I have said.

If God did not create those sinners, who did?

Is God not the creator or all that is?

If not, who is God's co-creator?

Regards
DL

Forum List

Back