Students' taunts reduce bus aide to tears

Inept? According to who? She may have handled it exactly as instructed. "Do nothing unless student safety is at risk." Safety was not the issue.

Guess how this teacher handles disrespect? They are asked to leave. No lectures arguments or deals. I never get mad.

Pretty hard to kick a kid out of a school bus.

Inept? According to who? She may have handled it exactly as instructed. "Do nothing unless student safety is at risk." Safety was not the issue.

Guess how this teacher handles disrespect? They are asked to leave. No lectures arguments or deals. I never get mad.

what if they refuse to leave and continue to be disruptive?

Policy in every district I've worked in is this when faced with a disruptive student who will not obey instructions:

1. Pull over and put on 4-ways. Secure the bus, turn off engine, remove key into your pocket.
2. Call in to base, request the police assistance.
3. Keep door locked and let no one off if possible.
4. Wait for police to arrive and remove the child. No children get off the bus for ANY reason (save for a weapon being brought into play or the safety of others), even if their parents show up till the authorities are present.

You have a secondary option if the child is just being disruptive but sitting safely to return to the school to have school officials remove the child and wait for the parents. You can not put a child off the bus once they are on, except at their stop or at school for any reason.

If the child attacks you, and it IS a possibility, you may defend yourself as far as to stop the assault and with the greatest restraint. You are never to touch the child unless your health and wellbeing is threatened. Not even if they attack another child. If the child leaves the bus by a window or back door, report to the police what happened. Always keep dispatch appraised of what is happening.

If a child is being disrespectful to your authority, separate them if possible from other children up front. Move other children away from them if possible. If the child is inciting others, call dispatch for advice or police assistance to deal with threats to the safe operation of the vehicle. Make sure to put on your report everyone involved in the problem so the school can punish them properly with detention, suspension or expulsion.

I've had to resort to a few of these tactics to get a bus under control and thankfully never had to have cops called, but school officials have shown up and hooo boy those kids were scared of them showing up miles from school and the kids started to tattle on the troublemakers.

Last edited:

Policy in every district I've worked in is this when faced with a disruptive student who will not obey instructions:

1. Pull over and put on 4-ways. Secure the bus, turn off engine, remove key into your pocket.
4. Wait for police to arrive and remove the child. No children get off the bus for ANY reason (save for a weapon being brought into play or the safety of others), even if their parents show up till the authorities are present.

You have a secondary option if the child is just being disruptive but sitting safely to return to the school to have school officials remove the child and wait for the parents. You can not put a child off the bus once they are on, except at their stop or at school for any reason.

If the child attacks you, and it IS a possibility, you may defend yourself as far as to stop the assault and with the greatest restraint. You are never to touch the child unless your health and wellbeing is threatened. Not even if they attack another child. If the child leaves the bus by a window or back door, report to the police what happened. Always keep dispatch appraised of what is happening.

If a child is being disrespectful to your authority, separate them if possible from other children up front. Move other children away from them if possible. If the child is inciting others, call dispatch for advice or police assistance to deal with threats to the safe operation of the vehicle. Make sure to put on your report everyone involved in the problem so the school can punish them properly with detention, suspension or expulsion.

I've had to resort to a few of these tactics to get a bus under control and thankfully never had to have cops called, but school officials have shown up and hooo boy those kids were scared of them showing up miles from school and the kids started to tattle on the troublemakers.

You are never to touch the child unless your health and wellbeing is threatened. Not even if they attack another child.

Tell me you're shittin me. That can't be for real.

You are never to touch the child unless your health and wellbeing is threatened. Not even if they attack another child.

Nope. Not kidding. Nooooo touchie touchie. If you do, you're fired. I've been accused of it once and the other kids backed me up that the kid pushed into me deliberately to get away from discipline. If they attack another child you are not to leave your seat, pull over and call for help. Do NOT get involved. That's the 'official word' from the company. Break it and you can be fired.

Why else do you think kids are out of control on the bus and in school?

Nope. Not kidding. Nooooo touchie touchie. If you do, you're fired. I've been accused of it once and the other kids backed me up that the kid pushed into me deliberately to get away from discipline. If they attack another child you are not to leave your seat, pull over and call for help. Do NOT get involved. That's the 'official word' from the company. Break it and you can be fired.

I dunno....I can see it since pervs are attracted to kids. Surely there are other ways to discipline.

I dunno....I can see it since pervs are attracted to kids. Surely there are other ways to discipline.
Oh of course. I don't have a problem with the rule a lot of times, but there are times I'd love to take one of the little brats by the ear like my great grandmother did and drag them up front to their new assigned seats and a few could use to be spanked till they can't sit comfortably for a few hours. The worst is when kids fall asleep and are deep sleepers. You can't even shake them awake. I have other kids do that too. But if they're the last one and don't wake up from shouting? That's difficult. You'd like to be gentle but traffic's piling up and you've schedules to keep.

Bullied bus aide gets nearly $500K in donations!

By Heather Murphy
June 21, 2012

•Karen Klein is the victim of a profane and hurtful verbal assault by kids on school bus
•Video of the attack went viral online and has been viewed more than a million times
•A supporter created an online fund for Klein; donations have been enormous

There’s a huge outpouring of support for Klein. People have sent messages and flowers. She’s been invited to appear on several television news shows. And an online fundraiser gathered nearly $150,000 for her in its first day. The organizer suggests she use the money for a much-needed vacation. Klein, who has eight grandchildren, says she’s stunned by the reaction and more surprised about a gift from Southwest Airlines.

Bullied bus aide gets nearly $500K in donations! | HLNtv.com

Oh of course. I don't have a problem with the rule a lot of times, but there are times I'd love to take one of the little brats by the ear like my great grandmother did and drag them up front to their new assigned seats and a few could use to be spanked till they can't sit comfortably for a few hours. The worst is when kids fall asleep and are deep sleepers. You can't even shake them awake. I have other kids do that too. But if they're the last one and don't wake up from shouting? That's difficult. You'd like to be gentle but traffic's piling up and you've schedules to keep.

Highschool social studies. As we walked in, Mr Humphrey made sure we were all quiet at mice. A kid in his previous class had fallen asleep. He taped a note to the back of the kids jacked. 5 minutes after class started, we all stood up and started clapping and cheering. The kid woke up, realized what had happened and started to leave. "Don't you want a pass?" asked Mr Humphrey. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth the kid said, "sure."

After the kid left he said, "I know he's not gonna turn that pass in, it says, please excuse me for being a jerk and falling asleep in social studies." with a big grin he added "That's why I taped the one to the back of his jacket."

As far as I know, no one ever again fell asleep in Mr Humphrey's class.

That would now be called "cruel and hateful language" plus touching the kid if he was wearing the jacket. The teacher would be disciplined.

Pretty sad, huh?

Highschool social studies. As we walked in, Mr Humphrey made sure we were all quiet at mice. A kid in his previous class had fallen asleep. He taped a note to the back of the kids jacked. 5 minutes after class started, we all stood up and started clapping and cheering. The kid woke up, realized what had happened and started to leave. "Don't you want a pass?" asked Mr Humphrey. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth the kid said, "sure."

After the kid left he said, "I know he's not gonna turn that pass in, it says, please excuse me for being a jerk and falling asleep in social studies." with a big grin he added "That's why I taped the one to the back of his jacket."

As far as I know, no one ever again fell asleep in Mr Humphrey's class.

I had a similar situation happen to me, only as a teacher.

The mom accused me of bullying and stated that the reason her son fell asleep was because the lesson was either too hard or too easy.

That would now be called "cruel and hateful language" plus touching the kid if he was wearing the jacket. The teacher would be disciplined.

Pretty sad, huh?

I've no doubt a big part of our problem with kids to day is that the teachers can't discipline them, heck they can't even hug them. When I volunteered in my son's special needs class, the kids would come in and see me and immediately run to hug me. I'd hug them back and the teacher would tell me that I wasn't suppose to do that. I just looked at her and said "Fire me". She shrugged her shoulders and pretended she didn't see.

Pretty sad, huh?

I've no doubt a big part of our problem with kids to day is that the teachers can't discipline them, heck they can't even hug them. When I volunteered in my son's special needs class, the kids would come in and see me and immediately run to hug me. I'd hug them back and the teacher would tell me that I wasn't suppose to do that. I just looked at her and said "Fire me". She shrugged her shoulders and pretended she didn't see.

the point you are making is that you can not be fired but the teacher can.

Where does the acoountability lie?

I have been held accountable for what happens in my class even if it's another adult that does it, not by administration, but by parents.

PS I see no problem with what you did.

Pretty sad, huh?

I know of a few drivers with similar opinion. Kids got mad when I told them I wasn't allowed to when they wanted to give me hugs. Yes... the mean bus driver was getting hugs from his bus kids.

The best thing, Karen Klein gets a half million dollars and the kids get death threats.

Fund for grandmother bullied on bus reaches $650,000

By Joseph O'Leary

NEW YORK | Tue Jun 26, 2012

(Reuters) - Donations to a fundraising website for a grandmother bullied by middle-school students on a bus reached $650,000 on Monday afternoon, a record for the website, after a video of the abuse topped 7 million views on YouTube.

Karen Klein, a 68-year-old bus monitor from Greece, New York, was bullied until she cried by Greece Middle School students in a video uploaded on YouTube on Wednesday.

Brian Klein, Karen's son, said the support the family has received has been overwhelming, and that the family was grateful for it.

The fund on indiegogo.com, originally intended to send Klein on a vacation, will take donations until July 20, after which she will get the money minus deductions by the company.

A representative from indiegogo.com said Klein's fundraiser is the fastest- and largest-grossing fundraiser in the website's history. Previously, the website's largest fund raised around $320,000.

Klein will receive 93 percent of the money donated to her. Four percent will go to indiegogo, and 3 percent will go toward credit card processing fees.

---

Fund for grandmother bullied on bus reaches $650,000 | Reuters

Forum List

Back