Steelers An Unexpected Forced This Year?

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
I think so. For years with the fading career of Big Ben, the Steelers have been dreadful, his leaving taking far too long, then last year with the unexpected pickup of Kenny Pickett after drafting a new 1st string QB, they looked pitiful and disjointed until the last few games towards the end when something big seemed to be finally coming together. But I had my doubts about how Picket's body would hold up.

The team is 90% new, with just a few senior players left from the Big Ben Era, for the past several years, they have been drafting key talent both offense and defense, over the winter they've added on a lot more, made some excellent and perspicuous pick ups, and it looks now that this season, the team is gelling on both sides of the ball in a big way, and they have real heart in the game finally, for good reason.

The Steelers now look to have an explosive offense with excellent QBing, superb receivers and TEs, a strong O line finally, and a very dominating defense in all registers from the D-line, secondary, to the deep end, and the standards are set very high. Further, both the general coaching and especially the offensive coaching seems to finally be crystallizing to surround a formidable offense utilizing all of the deep with a real deep threat!

PRESEASON:
WEEK ONE
: The Steelers went to Tampa Bay and despite playing mostly their second and third string, fairly owned the Bucs and easily routed them with striking O plays right out of the gate on both sides of the ball, hammering them 27-17.

WEEK TWO, the Steelers just hosted the formidable Bills and Josh Allen. Despite the Bills being a contender for the Super Bowl the last few seasons, they looked like a chew toy in the hands of the Steelers. The Steelers 1st and 2nd string played the Bills 1st and 2nd string and made the Bills look like a deer in the headlights! In less than 5 opening minutes in the first quarter, the Steelers offense scored 14-0 points against them easily, going through them faster than crap through a goose. One of the biggest complaint against the Steelers for many years with Ben was very slow starts that looked unprepared and discombobulated taking the whole game to pull itself together to rally in desperation in the 4rth quarter to keep from losing.

Not any more. Past two weeks, the Steelers have exploded out of the gate.

The Steelers probably should have held the Bills to 27-7 or even 27-0, but for a bad snap late in the 4th quarter by a center who probably will be let go in any account, leading to a fumbled ball recovered by the Bills for short yardage! Otherwise, the Bills were held scoreless until the 4th quarter finally ending with 27-15 and the Steelers had 4 forced interception recoveries among many big plays. It was big Steeler plays one after the other by gulps and leaps from beginning to end for the 2nd week in a row with virtually everyone on the team contributing.

If this keeps up, and with royal talent in many positions now throughout both the O line and D line, the Steelers are going to be a team to watch this year. It looks like all aspects of the team are finally coming together at just the right time in a really big way for awesome and explosive offense and defensive talent able to stand up to ANYONE in the NFL.

You have been warned.

I think so. For years with the fading career of Big Ben, the Steelers have been dreadful, his leaving taking far too long, then last year with the unexpected pickup of Kenny Pickett after drafting a new 1st string QB, they looked pitiful and disjointed until the last few games towards the end when something big seemed to be finally coming together. But I had my doubts about how Picket's body would hold up.

The team is 90% new, with just a few senior players left from the Big Ben Era, for the past several years, they have been drafting key talent both offense and defense, over the winter they've added on a lot more, made some excellent and perspicuous pick ups, and it looks now that this season, the team is gelling on both sides of the ball in a big way, and they have real heart in the game finally, for good reason.

The Steelers now look to have an explosive offense with excellent QBing, superb receivers and TEs, a strong O line finally, and a very dominating defense in all registers from the D-line, secondary, to the deep end, and the standards are set very high. Further, both the general coaching and especially the offensive coaching seems to finally be crystallizing to surround a formidable offense utilizing all of the deep with a real deep threat!

PRESEASON:
WEEK ONE
: The Steelers went to Tampa Bay and despite playing mostly their second and third string, fairly owned the Bucs and easily routed them with striking O plays right out of the gate on both sides of the ball, hammering them 27-17.

WEEK TWO, the Steelers just hosted the formidable Bills and Josh Allen. Despite the Bills being a contender for the Super Bowl the last few seasons, they looked like a chew toy in the hands of the Steelers. The Steelers 1st and 2nd string played the Bills 1st and 2nd string and made the Bills look like a deer in the headlights! In less than 5 opening minutes in the first quarter, the Steelers offense scored 14-0 points against them easily, going through them faster than crap through a goose. One of the biggest complaint against the Steelers for many years with Ben was very slow starts that looked unprepared and discombobulated taking the whole game to pull itself together to rally in desperation in the 4rth quarter to keep from losing.

The Steelers probably should have held the Bills to 27-7 or even 27-0, but for a bad snap late in the 4th quarter by a center who probably will be let go in any account, leading to a fumbled ball recovered by the Bills for short yardage! Otherwise, the Bills were held scoreless until the 4th quarter finally ending with 27-15 and the Steelers had 4 forced interception recoveries among many big plays. It was big Steeler plays one after the other by gulps and leaps from beginning to end for the 2nd week in a row with virtually everyone on the team contributing.

If this keeps up, and with royal talent in many positions now throughout both the O line and D line, the Steelers are going to be a team to watch this year. It looks like all aspects of the team are finally coming together at just the right time in a really big way for awesome and explosive offense and defensive talent able to stand up to ANYONE in the NFL.

You have been warned.
I guess they released RB Benny Snell.

I saw him playing for Detroit today.

I guess they released RB Benny Snell.
I saw him playing for Detroit today.

I'm not surprised. Benny was OK, but with Najee Harris, who exploded like an atom bomb chewing through defenders last last year after a long injury, Jaylen Warren who ripped for 30-40 yards in one play tonight and looks to be an easy alternate 1st string RB for the other to rest, and McFarland now who has been looking fabulous, and another guy, they have no need for Benny anymore.

PRESEASON:
WEEK ONE

You have been warned.
It is pre season. FYI.

😎

It’s the pre season. Nothing more.

Yes, it may not COUNT toward positioning in the postseason rankings, but they've shown explosive ability and talent team-wide the past two weeks out of the gate they haven't had in ages.

Better still, in a rarity, their first two regular season games are also at home.

Like I said: Watch the Steelers--- I see BIG THINGS happening this year with the Black & Gold.

Yes, it may not COUNT toward positioning in the postseason rankings, but they've shown explosive ability and talent team-wide the past two weeks out of the gate they haven't had in ages.

Better still, in a rarity, their first two regular season games are also at home.

Like I said: Watch the Steelers--- I see BIG THINGS happening this year with the Black & Gold.
The Steelers looked good. No question. But the purpose of the preseason games isn’t all ability winning. It’s training and examination. Otherwise, the Bills would have started Allen.

So if you’re saying that the Steelers have good reason to feel optimistic, then I agree. But I don’t think it goes much further than that v

But the purpose of the preseason games isn’t all ability winning. It’s training and examination.
Why do you insist on lecturing me on what I already know? You've just made my point: that despite the priorities of the preseason being first and foremost about training and examination, that despite that, the Steelers have managed to do these past two weeks what they haven't done, poorly or at all, in many years. If they can translate that into the regular season, they are going to be a formidable force.

Otherwise, the Bills would have started Allen.
They did start Allen. In fact, they even brought him back again late in the game when they had failed to score any points at all.

So if you’re saying that the Steelers have good reason to feel optimistic, then I agree.
Isn't that what I've been saying since the start of this thread? Sheesh.

Why do you insist on lecturing me on what I already know? You've just made my point: that despite the priorities of the preseason being first and foremost about training and examination, that despite that, the Steelers have managed to do these past two weeks what they haven't done, poorly or at all, in many years. If they can translate that into the regular season, they are going to be a formidable force.

They did start Allen. In fact, they even brought him back again late in the game when they had failed to score any points at all.

Isn't that what I've been saying since the start of this thread? Sheesh.
I just assumed that you needed to be brought back down to Earth. A good preseason is a good thing. But it doesn’t really mean much more than that.

Why are you so uptight?

The Steelers will be dangerous as long as Tomlin is coaching. He just has the knack for getting the most out his teams. Never a losing record in his 15 or 16 years. The AFC is a tough road to go down for the Super Bowl, but it wouldn’t be shocking if the Steelers contend for the the postseason.

The Steelers will be dangerous as long as Tomlin is coaching. He just has the knack for getting the most out his teams. Never a losing record in his 15 or 16 years. The AFC is a tough road to go down for the Super Bowl, but it wouldn’t be shocking if the Steelers contend for the the postseason.

I'm actually no big fan of Tomlin, I've been calling for his ouster for years. But we will see. He did pretty well when the Steelers first picked him, mainly because he inherited a very good team from Bill Cowher. But I would have gotten rid of Ben years earlier, his team has looked really flat and one dimensional for many years, besides have Big Ben, Antonio Brown who was one of the best receivers ever, and LaVeon Bell who was one of the best RBs of the time, he went nowhere with them.

Then he picked this Matt Canada for an offense coach and the guy had no work history in the NFL! And the offensive plays have been dreadful! And now they got Pickett, someone no one else wanted, who played on a team that played and worked right in the same building with him---- I had real concerns for Pickett last year, he looked no better than Randolph then went and got two concussions for what looked like two very mild hits.

But he's looked great this year in the preseason so we will see. I'm hoping the Steelers make a liar out of me and prove me wrong.

Forum List

Back