Russell Wilson

Couchpotato

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2021
I highly doubt the Bronco's aren't going to cut him. At this point the relationship is so broken it probably can't be repaired. So, assuming he's a FA where does he land? His best years were with a great defense, good running game and a team that just needs him to make some plays but not be the entire focus of the offense and the reason they are winning. I don't think that's changed as he's gotten older. He's not going to go to a Commanders or Atlanta team and take them to the SB or even deep in the PO's IMO they don't have enough pieces and he doesn't have enough years left to wait. It's been reported he'd be willing to play for vet minimum. Where does it make the most sense if the goal is a shot at another SB?

I think there are only 2 teams that fit the bill

49er's

Steelers.

49er's

Obviously the path to the SB is far easier in the NFC than the AFC and the 49er's have enough right now to get the SB, but Im not sure they can get over the hump. They've been to 2 SB's and 3-4 NFC Champ games in the last 5 years and havent gotten it done. Does inserting Russ get them there? Would they even be interested? Shanahan's run first offense matches up well with Wilson's skill set, but would they move off of Purdy and does making him QB2 crush his future.

Steelers

Steelers have a really good defense, some really good playmakers at WR (and they draft so well at that position) they are definitely committed to the run game. All pluses for Wilson. They went 10-7 in a brutal division with Pickett and Rudolph. Is Wilson a nice bridge to the next QB pick who could possibly get them some PO wins and an outside shot at a SB?

Id guess the Steelers. I dont think the 9er's are going to move off of Purdy and Wilson's contract would only be vet min for a year then they would have to pay him so they are probably not in the Russ business. IF WIlson wants to win I dont see any other team where he can do it other than the Steelers.

I highly doubt the Bronco's aren't going to cut him. At this point the relationship is so broken it probably can't be repaired. So, assuming he's a FA where does he land? His best years were with a great defense, good running game and a team that just needs him to make some plays but not be the entire focus of the offense and the reason they are winning. I don't think that's changed as he's gotten older. He's not going to go to a Commanders or Atlanta team and take them to the SB or even deep in the PO's IMO they don't have enough pieces and he doesn't have enough years left to wait. It's been reported he'd be willing to play for vet minimum. Where does it make the most sense if the goal is a shot at another SB?

49er's

Steelers.

49er's

Obviously the path to the SB is far easier in the NFC than the AFC and the 49er's have enough right now to get the SB, but Im not sure they can get over the hump. They've been to 2 SB's and 3-4 NFC Champ games in the last 5 years and havent gotten it done. Does inserting Russ get them there? Would they even be interested? Shanahan's run first offense matches up well with Wilson's skill set, but would they move off of Purdy and does making him QB2 crush his future.

Steelers

Steelers have a really good defense, some really good playmakers at WR (and they draft so well at that position) they are definitely committed to the run game. All pluses for Wilson. They went 10-7 in a brutal division with Pickett and Rudolph. Is Wilson a nice bridge to the next QB pick who could possibly get them some PO wins and an outside shot at a SB?

Id guess the Steelers. I dont think the 9er's are going to move off of Purdy and Wilson's contract would only be vet min for a year then they would have to pay him so they are probably not in the Russ business. IF WIlson wants to win I dont see any other team where he can do it other than the Steelers.
I'd trade him for Purdy.
He was sooo close to being as good as Mahomes. Only 1 yard away from having 2 superbowls. Pete Carroll called a stupid play. For some reason I knew/felt that they would never make it back after that one. And I was right. Beast mode and Lynch both left. Is that the same person? Who's the defensive back with the dreads? He was good.

I would LOVE to see Wilson Vs. Mahomes in the Superbowl if the Lion's don't make it.

Wilson's age and injuries have caught up with him. If he was 6' 4" and a pocket passer that wouldn't be as significant, but he's small and needs his mobility to create passing lanes for himself. Five years ago he was still a top level QB but at this stage of his career, he is mediocre at best.

Are you joking? ... at $875,000 for next year ... Drop Pretty is a 49er ... will Russell Wilson play for that little? ... Drop Pretty has to rely on his WIFE'S income to afford rent there in the Bay Area ... or move to Paso Robles ... EWWWWWWWWWWWW ...

Word from the underground is Lynch will be looking to draft a QB ... I'm sorry, Sam Darnold cannot run that offense ... we need another backup QB ... but on the cheap ... we gotta pay CMC and them receivers ... and that defensive line ain't getting any younger ...

"Last man drafted by the NFL never starts a game, at any position ... least of all quarterback" --- Terry Bradshaw, Dec 11th, 2022, 9:20am PST ... Drop won that game 35-3 over Tom Brady ... pfffft, the bum could only manage a tie in regulation against Muh'Hommies ...

I'd trade him for Purdy.
He was sooo close to being as good as Mahomes. Only 1 yard away from having 2 superbowls. Pete Carroll called a stupid play. For some reason I knew/felt that they would never make it back after that one. And I was right. Beast mode and Lynch both left. Is that the same person? Who's the defensive back with the dreads? He was good.

I would LOVE to see Wilson Vs. Mahomes in the Superbowl if the Lion's don't make it.

Keep in mind the clock
2nd down from the one

They had time for three plays if one of them was a pass.
If they run and are stopped, time for only one play

A pass made sense but not a pass over the middle into coverage.
Wilson should have rolled out and optioned a run/pass
Then go Beast mode if it failed

49er's

Steelers.

49er's

Steelers

purdy is good enough where he is. a veteran back up (carr or winston?) would be a + for the niners.

the saintds could use a talented starter like wilson, and peyton probably wants taysom hill in denver.

I view Wilson as one of the better QB's in NFL history... one of the few games I watched last season was when Wilson was having a bad day and his coach chewed him out on the sidelines and more than one Bronco's players grabbed him and yelled at him...
Wilson took it like a man... who could succeed around people like that?... I think he should go to the Redskins and pocket his 39 million plus what Washington could pay him...

I'd trade him for Purdy.

Wilson’s contract makes him untradable.

Keep in mind the clock
2nd down from the one

They had time for three plays if one of them was a pass.
If they run and are stopped, time for only one play

A pass made sense but not a pass over the middle into coverage.
Wilson should have rolled out and optioned a run/pass
Then go Beast mode if it failed
I always thought there was legs to the argument that the play call was set based on Seattle wanting the golden boy Russ to be “the man” and the hero of the team, and not the rough, disgruntled, controversial Marshawn Lynch (who they also wanted to sign for less than he was asking)

A dominant 1 yard TD by Lynch to win the Super Bowl makes him “the man” of the Seahawks and elevates his worth.

Would he rather the Superbowl or the contract? Re negotiate. I believe Aaron Rogers gave up some money to make sure his team could afford linemen who would protect him.
SF doesn’t have the cap space. It’s not a matter of whether Wilson would be willing to go there. Also why would SF trade for a player they could just sign assuming Wilson wants to go there?

I always thought there was legs to the argument that the play call was set based on Seattle wanting the golden boy Russ to be “the man” and the hero of the team, and not the rough, disgruntled, controversial Marshawn Lynch (who they also wanted to sign for less than he was asking)

A dominant 1 yard TD by Lynch to win the Super Bowl makes him “the man” of the Seahawks and elevates his worth.
The only problem with that argument is that QB's are far more expensive than RB's. Even an average to below average QB will cost you far more than the top RB in the league.

Yea. The 49ers should definitely pay more for a worse quarterback.

Makes perfect sense.
LOL at the idea that Wilson is worse than Purdy. BTW vet minimum which is what Wilson said he would play for is 915k which is 70k LESS than what they will pay Purdy next year.

LOL at the idea that Wilson is worse than Purdy. BTW vet minimum which is what Wilson said he would play for is 915k which is 70k LESS than what they will pay Purdy next year.
At this stage in his career, yes, Wilson isn’t as good as Purdy.

If he’s only taking 915k, sure let’s bring him in. But that’s obviously backup money.

49er's

Steelers.

49er's

Steelers

In the past he could go Lamar style and run away from trouble. That was his entire game. Sure he could throw and throw on the run. Most can. He was Quick. Almost never took any hard hits.
Then in 2021-2022 he lost a step or more?.....SEA was right to get rid of the prima donna. SEA winning.....Denver was foolish.

Nobody wants this POS at $40mil or whatever? Even $25mil? PITT already has one better (Rudolph) and one almost just like Wilson used to be (Pickett).

Forum List

Back