Steelers An Unexpected Forced This Year?

The Steelers looked good. No question. But the purpose of the preseason games isn’t all ability winning. It’s training and examination. Otherwise, the Bills would have started Allen.

So if you’re saying that the Steelers have good reason to feel optimistic, then I agree. But I don’t think it goes much further than that v
The Bills did start Allen, but yeah, these preseason games mean very little.

I haven’t seen enough of Kenny Picket to have an opinion on the Steelers. I do they have some pash rushers and excellent coaching.

I haven’t seen enough of Kenny Picket to have an opinion on the Steelers. I do they have some pash rushers and excellent coaching.

Steelers have some excellent talent on the team now which, if they stay pretty healthy and things keep panning out as they've looked so far, should lead them to a presence in the post-season:

O-line:
Najee Harris - RB
George Pickens -WR
Pat Freiermuth -TE
Jaylen Warren -RB
Calvin Austin III - WR
Broderick Jones - LT
Connor Heyward - TE

D-line:
Cam Heyward - RDE
T.J. Watt - WLB
Alex Highsmith - SLB
Minkah Fitzpatrick -FS
Joey Porter Jr. - RCB
Nick Herbig - WLB

Most of these are stars, proven commodities and even Pro-Bowlers, plus many other upcoming people who look to be strong contributors.

If they don't win the AFC North division and make it into the post-season this year and at least win a game, it will be a major disappointment to Steeler fans.

I'll say this. The Steelers are trending up and the Bills in the opposite direction.

Steelers have some excellent talent on the team now which, if they stay pretty healthy and things keep panning out as they've looked so far, should lead them to a presence in the post-season:

O-line:
Najee Harris - RB
George Pickens -WR
Pat Freiermuth -TE
Jaylen Warren -RB
Calvin Austin III - WR
Broderick Jones - LT
Connor Heyward - TE

D-line:
Cam Heyward - RDE
T.J. Watt - WLB
Alex Highsmith - SLB
Minkah Fitzpatrick -FS
Joey Porter Jr. - RCB
Nick Herbig - WLB

Most of these are stars, proven commodities and even Pro-Bowlers, plus many other upcoming people who look to be strong contributors.

If they don't win the AFC North division and make it into the post-season this year and at least win a game, it will be a major disappointment to Steeler fans.
Winning the AFCN is a tall order, with Cincy and a retooled Baltimore in the division. Cleveland should be good given their roster but we will see.

It may be the toughest division, top to bottom, in the NFL.
(full disclosure: I'm a Browns fan)

Well then, it certain won't be any shame then if they don't secure the division this year, but I expect they sure will give it a stout run for the money!

In their favor, besides really showing a lot of heart and unity in the first two games, now that they've chucked the dead weight of Ben Roesthlisberger, they've freed up an awful lot of cap space to spread around on other players and for the first time in years, have real DEPTH at most every key position.

Steelers are a Mensch! They went through Atlanta last night like crap through a goose! Steelers played their 1st string for a couple of drives then played their 2nd, 3rd and even 4th string against Atlanta's 2nd and 3rd string.

Four minutes into the game, Steelers scored a TD!

Three minutes later, they scored another TD!

By halftime, the score was 24 - 0.

Atlanta never did even score a point. Steeler defense totally shut them down like a rag doll in a dog's mouth.

Next up, Sept. 10 I think, they open the season against San Fran and the Browns to two home games! I can't wait to see the annihilation. Black & Gold are back!!! :rock:

It’s the pre season. Nothing more.

Well, BA, when you are right, you are right, and while I never denied it was just the pre-season, after everything the Steelers showed the world in the off season, training camp and pre-season, I don't think anyone saw the Steelers coming out again with this totally revamped, promising offense and one of, if not the most expensive defense in the league coming out on opening day in their own stadium against a team that had to travel three time zones east and totally laying an egg. Even if it was against probably the best team in the NFC.
  • Special teams never pinned the 9ers farther back than the 40 yard zone while themselves repeatedly getting pinned back 20-25 yards farther back.
  • The Steeler defense utterly failed to contain the run, or the passing much at that, while putting very little pressure on the QB. SF was in their comfort zone all day.
  • But the offense was nowhere to be found, flat, out of sync, missed opportunities. The only 7 points they got before the half were basically a gift.
Injuries everywhere again showed the Steelers unprepared and without conditioning. They have a crisis of coaching and for not being truly prepared for the game both physically and mentally.

To add insult to injury, reports are there were more people wearing red and gold there cheering for SF than there were Steeler fans.

Doesn't bode well for the Steeler season yet again. Another year of much Tomlin promises but as usual, far short on delivering.

Well, BA, when you are right, you are right, and while I never denied it was just the pre-season, after everything the Steelers showed the world in the off season, training camp and pre-season, I don't think anyone saw the Steelers coming out again with this totally revamped, promising offense and one of, if not the most expensive defense in the league coming out on opening day in their own stadium against a team that had to travel three time zones east and totally laying an egg. Even if it was against probably the best team in the NFC.
  • Special teams never pinned the 9ers farther back than the 40 yard zone while themselves repeatedly getting pinned back 20-25 yards farther back.
  • The Steeler defense utterly failed to contain the run, or the passing much at that, while putting very little pressure on the QB. SF was in their comfort zone all day.
  • But the offense was nowhere to be found, flat, out of sync, missed opportunities. The only 7 points they got before the half were basically a gift.
Injuries everywhere again showed the Steelers unprepared and without conditioning. They have a crisis of coaching and for not being truly prepared for the game both physically and mentally.

To add insult to injury, reports are there were more people wearing red and gold there cheering for SF than there were Steeler fans.

Doesn't bode well for the Steeler season yet again. Another year of much Tomlin promises but as usual, far short on delivering.
Good news. In almost no cases are seasons ever determined by one game — especially the first one.

I think they stunk the most of any Week 1 team? maybe CHI? Especially with all the phony optimism generated all last week on Sirius Sports talk radio. QB stunk, secondary stunk. They were so bad NFL RedZone showed little of them (a lot of them on Defense with SF on offense).

I kept expecting them to change QB?
CIN was bad but Burrow gets a pass, injured?

Good news. In almost no cases are seasons ever determined by one game — especially the first one.

Yeah, I know, but if the Steelers had been half as improved and half as prepared as they led everyone to think (Picket had a perfect passer rating in the pre-season), at least they would have come out and made a game of it! Instead, the game ended 30-7 with the Steelers looking more like somewhere between a dog's chew toy and a deer in the headlights.

Worse, they have a #1 draft pick RB + another guy some have thought could compete for his job and instead, they got zilch on the ground, stuffed nearly every time and ended up going 1-dimensional, passing on almost every play. If they had a plan, it totally fell apart against SF.

Their saving grace is that they play a team they know very intimately next week in their own division, at home again, and get an extra day to rest, heal up and lick their wounds.

I think they stunk the most of any Week 1 team?

Could be. And all the reports I heard was that the Pittsburgh-San Fran game was THE ONE TO WATCH in the 1PM time slot! It was only worth watching to again see a Tomlin team fall way short of expectations and completely CHOKE looking lost, confused, and unprepared. Their WR Dionte Johnson I really hate. The guy stinks and he's supposed to be their top receiver? It may just be the first game, but good teams usually don't do belly-flops showing no plan, no spark, no talent at all when most everything was leaning in their favor.

I think so. For years with the fading career of Big Ben, the Steelers have been dreadful, his leaving taking far too long, then last year with the unexpected pickup of Kenny Pickett after drafting a new 1st string QB, they looked pitiful and disjointed until the last few games towards the end when something big seemed to be finally coming together. But I had my doubts about how Picket's body would hold up.

The team is 90% new, with just a few senior players left from the Big Ben Era, for the past several years, they have been drafting key talent both offense and defense, over the winter they've added on a lot more, made some excellent and perspicuous pick ups, and it looks now that this season, the team is gelling on both sides of the ball in a big way, and they have real heart in the game finally, for good reason.

The Steelers now look to have an explosive offense with excellent QBing, superb receivers and TEs, a strong O line finally, and a very dominating defense in all registers from the D-line, secondary, to the deep end, and the standards are set very high. Further, both the general coaching and especially the offensive coaching seems to finally be crystallizing to surround a formidable offense utilizing all of the deep with a real deep threat!

PRESEASON:
WEEK ONE
: The Steelers went to Tampa Bay and despite playing mostly their second and third string, fairly owned the Bucs and easily routed them with striking O plays right out of the gate on both sides of the ball, hammering them 27-17.

WEEK TWO, the Steelers just hosted the formidable Bills and Josh Allen. Despite the Bills being a contender for the Super Bowl the last few seasons, they looked like a chew toy in the hands of the Steelers. The Steelers 1st and 2nd string played the Bills 1st and 2nd string and made the Bills look like a deer in the headlights! In less than 5 opening minutes in the first quarter, the Steelers offense scored 14-0 points against them easily, going through them faster than crap through a goose. One of the biggest complaint against the Steelers for many years with Ben was very slow starts that looked unprepared and discombobulated taking the whole game to pull itself together to rally in desperation in the 4rth quarter to keep from losing.

Not any more. Past two weeks, the Steelers have exploded out of the gate.

The Steelers probably should have held the Bills to 27-7 or even 27-0, but for a bad snap late in the 4th quarter by a center who probably will be let go in any account, leading to a fumbled ball recovered by the Bills for short yardage! Otherwise, the Bills were held scoreless until the 4th quarter finally ending with 27-15 and the Steelers had 4 forced interception recoveries among many big plays. It was big Steeler plays one after the other by gulps and leaps from beginning to end for the 2nd week in a row with virtually everyone on the team contributing.

If this keeps up, and with royal talent in many positions now throughout both the O line and D line, the Steelers are going to be a team to watch this year. It looks like all aspects of the team are finally coming together at just the right time in a really big way for awesome and explosive offense and defensive talent able to stand up to ANYONE in the NFL.

You have been warned.
Not only did they only score 1 touchdown yesterday, they gave up 30 points. That means the Steelers suck on both sides.

O-line:
Najee Harris - RB
George Pickens -WR
Pat Freiermuth -TE
Jaylen Warren -RB
Calvin Austin III - WR
Broderick Jones - LT
Connor Heyward - TE

D-line:
Cam Heyward - RDE
T.J. Watt - WLB
Alex Highsmith - SLB
Minkah Fitzpatrick -FS
Joey Porter Jr. - RCB
Nick Herbig - WLB

No one and I repeat no one is expecting the Steelers to make much less win a playoff game. No one!!

Ravens will win this division.

Not only did they only score 1 touchdown yesterday, they gave up 30 points. That means the Steelers suck on both sides.

Suck? Gee, you are being kind. I thought they proved to be far worse than that! They were playing on their own field and even their equipment people had them fitted with the wrong cleats and they kept slipping, tripping and falling down without even being touched.

Half the fans had left and gone home by the halftime.

Forum List

Back