Someone help with this

Techie, I think you are mixing things up. A voluntary community service program (crime stoppers, or just helping old people) and more paid law enforcement.

Please show me if I'm wrong, I've no interested in voluntary armed citizens.

you guys *sniffle* need to stop *sniffle* picking on obama, he *sniffle* has our best interest at heart, he knows whats best

Let me take this to it's logical extreme: Obama is gonna arm kids 18 - 25 with M4's and put them on the streets to enforce laws after training them for three months? Who indroctinates these kids? This is insane and Rham Emanuel thinks it's funny and blows off questions about it. He obviously thinks these people are gonna do the bidding of Obama.

What he will likely accomplish is to start a civil war.
:cuckoo: This belongs in conspiracy theories.

Wrong. The thread itself is not a conspiracy theory. It is a discussion of actual fact. Too bad you can't handle the truth ...

Techie, I think you are mixing things up. A voluntary community service program (crime stoppers, or just helping old people) and more paid law enforcement.

Ravi, I specifically said they would NOT be armed. Maybe with clubs in the most extreme circumstances, but that's about it.

I'm simply adding 2+2+2 and getting 6. I heard what Rahm said about this idea in an interview a few years ago. Basically that he envisioned a civilian service organization (something that was outside of the military) that was trained to respond to disasters, whether they be natural or man-made. That their training would occur for three months and involve 18-25 year olds.

Obama said, as cited above, on the campaign trail that he wanted a civilian force that was just as well funded and just as large as the military.

He repeated this theme in the other speech cited above. The Serve America act appears to be a down payment on this theme.

The question from my prospective is, given a time of economic difficulty and excessive government spending, is this the time to start throwing money at plainly optional programs? I sure think it is. Then why would it be front and center of a first 100 days agenda?

Perhaps I'm jaded, but most of what has happened so far in this administration is directly related to consolidation of power and control in the levers of the central government. In that context I can see how this program, if it is used in the way I indicated above, fits into the first 100 days agenda.

If I'm wrong, simply demonstrate how this innocuous program (if it really were as loosely described) fits into Obama's 100 day agenda. What other similar programs has he offered to achieve these ends?

I'm new so bear with me while I learn the ropes. A friend of mine ask me to google the words; national civil defense force. When I did I read many articles about a group of civilians that would be a paramilitary force that was organized by the Obama Administration to act as the group to enforce laws. It sounded very much like this was trying to circumvent the constutional prohibition of using the military to enforce civil law.

1) is this in fact a real law that's being introduced in congress under the radar?

2) Does anyone see anything wrong to have a national "defense force" that is under the department of Homeland Security? It very much reminds me of the Nazi youth movement and will kids be tutnng their parents that disagree with Obama?

The budget Obama just signed contained for the formation of a study group on the feasibility of compulsory public service by the young, and older people trained public services such as emergency reaction skills.

The exact services have yet to be defined.

If it smells, looks and sounds like a Nazi Youth organization .....:eusa_whistle:
Where I live we already have programs somewhat like this. For one we have the civil air patrol which you can be in, in high school I actually had a few friends who were in it one is now in the army. I think they were also taught how to fly, I will have to ask them.
We also have senior patrol, a very large group of senior citizen who volunteer for the Police Department and go out on calls non violent of course probably mostly things like theft. I think they also have a patrol high school or college students do where they mostly work security at events.
And really what is the difference with this than when the military recruits kids in high school, I know there is something like the national guard you can join in high school. I guess if Obama wants to do something like this it is being a Nazi when in reality there are many similar programs already in affect all over.

Ravi, I specifically said they would NOT be armed. Maybe with clubs in the most extreme circumstances, but that's about it.

I'm simply adding 2+2+2 and getting 6. I heard what Rahm said about this idea in an interview a few years ago. Basically that he envisioned a civilian service organization (something that was outside of the military) that was trained to respond to disasters, whether they be natural or man-made. That their training would occur for three months and involve 18-25 year olds.

Obama said, as cited above, on the campaign trail that he wanted a civilian force that was just as well funded and just as large as the military.

He repeated this theme in the other speech cited above. The Serve America act appears to be a down payment on this theme.

The question from my prospective is, given a time of economic difficulty and excessive government spending, is this the time to start throwing money at plainly optional programs? I sure think it is. Then why would it be front and center of a first 100 days agenda?

Perhaps I'm jaded, but most of what has happened so far in this administration is directly related to consolidation of power and control in the levers of the central government. In that context I can see how this program, if it is used in the way I indicated above, fits into the first 100 days agenda.

If I'm wrong, simply demonstrate how this innocuous program (if it really were as loosely described) fits into Obama's 100 day agenda. What other similar programs has he offered to achieve these ends?
OK, I get what you are saying. I do believe they were talking about something along the lines of FEMA, who is paid to respond to disasters, being augmented by volunteers. If that's all it is I'm not going to worry about it, because I have no problem with people volunteering to dig out dead bodies or handing out cold drinks to hurricane survivors.

If I'm reading that correctly, do you have any objections to young people volunteering in that manner?

Let me take this to it's logical extreme: Obama is gonna arm kids 18 - 25 with M4's and put them on the streets to enforce laws after training them for three months? Who indroctinates these kids? This is insane and Rham Emanuel thinks it's funny and blows off questions about it. He obviously thinks these people are gonna do the bidding of Obama.

What he will likely accomplish is to start a civil war.
:cuckoo: This belongs in conspiracy theories.

Wrong. The thread itself is not a conspiracy theory. It is a discussion of actual fact. Too bad you can't handle the truth ...
What "fact" do you speak of?

Rahm's focus was in a "commonality of experience" for these "volunteers" similar to the commonality of experience that members of the military have.

So all this actually begs the question, who is going to control what they get taught and how? Is it going to be like the Youth Camps in the article I posted about Russia and Putin? 3 hours of disaster and first aid training and 5 hours of how great President Obama is. Or will it have no political component?

Don't know....just asking.

OK, I get what you are saying. I do believe they were talking about something along the lines of FEMA, who is paid to respond to disasters, being augmented by volunteers. If that's all it is I'm not going to worry about it, because I have no problem with people volunteering to dig out dead bodies or handing out cold drinks to hurricane survivors.

If I'm reading that correctly, do you have any objections to young people volunteering in that manner?

If I thought that's all it was about, I would have no problem with it.

But now we're back to the question I asked Ed, if Dick Cheney proposed this, would you be thinking the same way?

Rahm's focus was in a "commonality of experience" for these "volunteers" similar to the commonality of experience that members of the military have.

So all this actually begs the question, who is going to control what they get taught and how? Is it going to be like the Youth Camps in the article I posted about Russia and Putin? 3 hours of disaster and first aid training and 5 hours of how great President Obama is. Or will it have no political component?

Don't know....just asking.
heh...if anyone forces a how great President Obama is, or even asks for volunteers to listen, program I'll join you.

It's not going to happen.

If I thought that's all it was about, I would have no problem with it.

But now we're back to the question I asked Ed, if Dick Cheney proposed this, would you be thinking the same way?
No, I'd probably have the same reservations you have. It's kind of interesting looking at things from the other perspective, I can actually see that a lot of things I thought were overreactions. But I have to say, how things are spun on the internet or amongst the talking heads often have no bearing on reality.

Dear Lord, I fear I've stumbled upon yet another ANTI-OBAMA-NO-MATTER-WHAT-HE-DOES website.

First of all, it is clear just from reading the comments, that most people posting against this program are only getting their information from right-wing publications, blogsites, gossip, etc., and have NOT bothered to actually READ the intent of such a volunteer program.

Second, NOWHERE in it does it talk about para-military activities, volunteers carrying weapons, blah blah blah. That is overhyped BS which you guys have all bought into.

Third, the only possible connection you could make to a quasi Hitler Youth Corps, which is a tinfoil hat stretch, is that there has been discussion of providing uniforms for these volunteers, only to distinguish them as to what they do. It may come in the simple form of a patch, such as AmeriCorps people wear.

Fourth, it would be helpful if you understood the REASONS behind this proposal. What sacrifices have Americans made for their country other than those who have died or been maimed for life on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan or their families? There is plenty to do right here on our OWN battlefields helping our OWN people achieve a better life. And if the reward is a college education, why would you oppose that?

Get your heads out of the right-wing noise machines for a change, and read the facts (unless, of course, facts just get in your way). Click on "Read the Plan" please. Since I can't post a URL yet, Google "Obama-Community Service Plan" and click on "The Plan." (It will be the first link listed). This is also discussed in a number of other websites, citing facts--not projected fiction.

Dear Lord, I fear I've stumbled upon yet another ANTI-OBAMA-NO-MATTER-WHAT-HE-DOES website.

First of all, it is clear just from reading the comments, that most people posting against this program are only getting their information from right-wing publications, blogsites, gossip, etc., and have NOT bothered to actually READ the intent of such a volunteer program.

Second, NOWHERE in it does it talk about para-military activities, volunteers carrying weapons, blah blah blah. That is overhyped BS which you guys have all bought into.

Third, the only possible connection you could make to a quasi Hitler Youth Corps, which is a tinfoil hat stretch, is that there has been discussion of providing uniforms for these volunteers, only to distinguish them as to what they do. It may come in the simple form of a patch, such as AmeriCorps people wear.

Fourth, it would be helpful if you understood the REASONS behind this proposal. What sacrifices have Americans made for their country other than those who have died or been maimed for life on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan or their families? There is plenty to do right here on our OWN battlefields helping our OWN people achieve a better life. And if the reward is a college education, why would you oppose that?

Get your heads out of the right-wing noise machines for a change, and read the facts (unless, of course, facts just get in your way). Click on "Read the Plan" please. Since I can't post a URL yet, Google "Obama-Community Service Plan" and click on "The Plan." (It will be the first link listed). This is also discussed in a number of other websites, citing facts--not projected fiction.

You stumbled on this website? No one is pointing a gun at your head to stay here are they??? .\
As for the rest of your post...blah, blah, blah...same old crap from a left wingnut Kool Aid drinker :cuckoo:

Last edited:

The reasons I'm a little concerned, besides the reasons I've cited above, is precisely because of what's in the bill. We already have one of those? So why do we need another one if it does the same thing? Perhaps you've heard of Ameri-Corps? (Like the Peace Corps for America):

AmeriCorps is an opportunity to make a big difference in your life and in the lives of those around you. It’s a chance to apply your skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical needs in the community.

Each year, AmeriCorps offers 75,000 opportunities for adults of all ages and backgrounds to serve through a network of partnerships with local and national nonprofit groups. Whether your service makes a community safer, gives a child a second chance, or helps protect the environment, you’ll be getting things done through AmeriCorps!

And further activities:

* Tutor and mentor disadvantaged youth
* Fight illiteracy
* Improve health services
* Build affordable housing
* Teach computer skills
* Clean parks and streams
* Manage or operate after-school programs
* Help communities respond to disasters
* Build organizational capacity

Go to americorps.gov for more info. So, what does Obama's bill say its group is going to do that couldn't be added on to Ameri-Corps or expanded or whatever? Why does there need to be a separate organization created?

Hadn't you better catch that 6 year old boy running out your front door???

I think you're the only one here who still goes to Catholic church, heinster. ;)

gay-priest.jpg

I'm new here. What the hell happens to my responses? The only one that got posted was my original comment, not 2 others quoting someone else.

Forum List

Back