Someone help with this

I'm new here. What the hell happens to my responses? The only one that got posted was my original comment, not 2 others quoting someone else.

Maggie - after you typed your post did you click 'preview post' but then forgot to click 'submit reply' when you were done? I've done that a few times myself; it sucks.

Rav must have just "lost" this thread in the clusterfuck.

Surely she has a reasoned response to the issue at hand..
Did you ask me something, Pauli? I thought you were just fantasizing.

Did I ask you something?? You must be high.

You challenged the legitimacy of the topic in this thread, and when presented with the proof of Obama's plan to utilize the civilian population for "security" you conspicuously vanished from the thread.

I was just curious about your continued response, that's all.

Rav must have just "lost" this thread in the clusterfuck.

Surely she has a reasoned response to the issue at hand..

You challenged the legitimacy of the topic in this thread, and when presented with the proof of Obama's plan to utilize the civilian population for "security" you conspicuously vanished from the thread.

Then read my subsequent posts.

Wrong. The thread itself is not a conspiracy theory. It is a discussion of actual fact. Too bad you can't handle the truth ...

And what is the truth ... what exactly did Obama say?

Obama, July 2, Colorado Springs, CO: [As] president I will expand AmeriCorps to 250,000 slots [from 75,000] and make that increased service a vehicle to meet national goals, like providing health care and education, saving our planet and restoring our standing in the world, so that citizens see their effort connected to a common purpose.

People of all ages, stations and skills will be asked to serve. Because when it comes to the challenges we face, the American people are not the problem – they are the answer. So we are going to send more college graduates to teach and mentor our young people. We'll call on Americans to join an energy corps, to conduct renewable energy and environmental clean-up projects in their neighborhoods all across the country.
We will enlist our veterans to find jobs and support for other vets, and to be there for our military families. And we're going to grow our Foreign Service, open consulates that have been shuttered and double the size of the Peace Corps by 2011 to renew our diplomacy. We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set.
We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded. We need to use technology to connect people to service. We'll expand USA Freedom Corps to create online networks where American can browse opportunities to volunteer. You'll be able to search by category, time commitment and skill sets. You'll be able to rate service opportunities, build service networks, and create your own service pages to track your hours and activities.

This will empower more Americans to craft their own service agenda and make their own change from the bottom up.

Oooo ... when you put the whole speech in context ... it does sound scary!

Then read my subsequent posts.

You never made any more after someone posted the proof you were looking for that Obama did in fact say that.

I'm new here. What the hell happens to my responses? The only one that got posted was my original comment, not 2 others quoting someone else.

Maggie - after you typed your post did you click 'preview post' but then forgot to click 'submit reply' when you were done? I've done that a few times myself; it sucks.

Thanks, but I figured it out that since you must have 15 posts b/4 posting a URL, I was copying a URL from the person's message I was responding to. After that, I was in the process of typing a rather lengthy response to something and the power went out. It wasn't my day. C'est la vie.

Now if I can just figure out the "multiple quotes" thingie, which for me, just sits there waiting for me to......??. The instructions aren't too clear, but then I'm your basic computer illiterate compared to most everyone else. :(

Wrong. The thread itself is not a conspiracy theory. It is a discussion of actual fact. Too bad you can't handle the truth ...

Obama, July 2, Colorado Springs, CO: [As] president I will expand AmeriCorps to 250,000 slots [from 75,000] and make that increased service a vehicle to meet national goals, like providing health care and education, saving our planet and restoring our standing in the world, so that citizens see their effort connected to a common purpose.

People of all ages, stations and skills will be asked to serve. Because when it comes to the challenges we face, the American people are not the problem – they are the answer. So we are going to send more college graduates to teach and mentor our young people. We'll call on Americans to join an energy corps, to conduct renewable energy and environmental clean-up projects in their neighborhoods all across the country.
We will enlist our veterans to find jobs and support for other vets, and to be there for our military families. And we're going to grow our Foreign Service, open consulates that have been shuttered and double the size of the Peace Corps by 2011 to renew our diplomacy. We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set.
We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded. We need to use technology to connect people to service. We'll expand USA Freedom Corps to create online networks where American can browse opportunities to volunteer. You'll be able to search by category, time commitment and skill sets. You'll be able to rate service opportunities, build service networks, and create your own service pages to track your hours and activities.

This will empower more Americans to craft their own service agenda and make their own change from the bottom up.

BUT...a campaign SPEECH does not automatically create an enacted bill. Apparently there's a lot of disinformation being floated that completely distorts this bill. Here are the F.A.C.T.S.

FactCheck.org: Is Congress creating a mandatory public service system? Are participants not allowed to go to church?

Thanks, but I figured it out that since you must have 15 posts b/4 posting a URL, I was copying a URL from the person's message I was responding to. After that, I was in the process of typing a rather lengthy response to something and the power went out. It wasn't my day. C'est la vie.

Now if I can just figure out the "multiple quotes" thingie, which for me, just sits there waiting for me to......??. The instructions aren't too clear, but then I'm your basic computer illiterate compared to most everyone else. :(

Click on the '+' box at the bottom on the posts you want to multi-quote then go to the bottom of the page and click on the 'reply' button. (I always go to the last page in the thread and hit the reply button but I'm not sure if you have to or if you can just hit the reply button at the bottom of the page you are on). All the posts you have selected to multi-quote will be in the reply box.

BUT...a campaign SPEECH does not automatically create an enacted bill. Apparently there's a lot of disinformation being floated that completely distorts this bill. Here are the F.A.C.T.S.

FactCheck.org: Is Congress creating a mandatory public service system? Are participants not allowed to go to church?

I was also confused on this.

Open Congress Summary:

The Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education (GIVE) Act would dramatically increase funding for AmeriCorps and other volunteer programs, including those for seniors and veterans. It also establishes a goal of expanding from 75,000 government-supported volunteers to 250,000, and would increase education funding and establish a summer service program for students, paying $500 (which would be applied to college costs) to high-school and middle-school student who participate.

In its current form, the legislation does not include a mandate requiring service.

OpenCongress - U.S. Congress - H.R.1388 GIVE Act

Click on the '+' box at the bottom on the posts you want to multi-quote then go to the bottom of the page and click on the 'reply' button. (I always go to the last page in the thread and hit the reply button but I'm not sure if you have to or if you can just hit the reply button at the bottom of the page you are on). All the posts you have selected to multi-quote will be in the reply box.

Thanks, I'll try it. I do prefer the old AOL way though of just highlighting my own responses, per paragraph. I think it's easier to follow. I find my eyes moving back and forth among those "boxes" to be annoying. But that's probably just me.

Thanks, I'll try it. I do prefer the old AOL way though of just highlighting my own responses, per paragraph. I think it's easier to follow. I find my eyes moving back and forth among those "boxes" to be annoying. But that's probably just me.

No, it's not just you. lol If I want to respond to the last post in a multi-quoted thread, I'll often just delete the stuff I'm not responding to. I just did it with this post. I clicked on the quote button on the post above and once it came up in the reply box, just deleted the other boxes and kept your last response. On multi-quotes you just have to make sure the quote tags are correct; sometimes it's just a matter of a forgotten bracket [ ] or end quote slash /.

Last edited:
In its current form, the legislation does not include a mandate requiring service.[/quote]

Nor does it seem to be some sort of army of Brown Shirts as seems to be alleged by some posters. It was merely an expansion of the call to service originally put out by Bush ... it will probably not even go anywhere.

In its current form, the legislation does not include a mandate requiring service.

Nor does it seem to be some sort of army of Brown Shirts as seems to be alleged by some posters. It was merely an expansion of the call to service originally put out by Bush ... it will probably not even go anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it is likely to go somewhere, when coupled with funding for college.

Already, a number of high schools include community service as a graduation requirement. This could expand that to all public high schols, colleges, and universities.

:cuckoo: This belongs in conspiracy theories.

No it doesn't. Obama and this administration ARE working on THIS. No Conspiracy at all. He made a major campaign Speech about JUST this. Or are you admitting he lied? Are you calling the Senator that said the Senate passed a bill on this LIED? Are you calling Obama's Chief of Staff a LIAR?

Just curious?

I said take it to it's logical extreme, not that it was law now. Liberals always feared the Patriot act because of how it could be used, not how it was used. What's wrong with viewing this bill the same way? Could it be because y'alls messiah wants it instead of Bush?

If this doesn't belong in conspiracy theories, y'all must have a mighty low threshhold for what constitutes a legitimate topic for debate.

No one has demonstrated anything other than that some right-wing crackpots have taken a simple suggestion to expand community service opportunities and exploded it into the insane fairy tale that Obama is proposing arming and indoctrinating youths.

No it doesn't. Obama and this administration ARE working on THIS. No Conspiracy at all. He made a major campaign Speech about JUST this. Or are you admitting he lied? Are you calling the Senator that said the Senate passed a bill on this LIED? Are you calling Obama's Chief of Staff a LIAR?

Just curious?

I said take it to it's logical extreme, not that it was law now. Liberals always feared the Patriot act because of how it could be used, not how it was used. What's wrong with viewing this bill the same way? Could it be because y'alls messiah wants it instead of Bush?

If this doesn't belong in conspiracy theories, y'all must have a mighty low threshhold for what constitutes a legitimate topic for debate.

No one has demonstrated anything other than that some right-wing crackpots have taken a simple suggestion to expand community service opportunities and exploded it into the insane fairy tale that Obama is proposing arming and indoctrinating youths.

Right-wing crackpots?? As what....compared to left-wing crackpots???

Just curious?

The days of viral e-mails and people who would believe them with no further checking will never be over. Neither will twisting a story by a simple headline, which is what too many people look at without bothering to read any further. I've often seen links with some shocking headline, assuming what follows will be even more shocking, only to discover the headline was misleading, embellished, or omitted glaring conclusions.

When in doubt, an immediate search for a true source should be automatic. After all, how much more simple can it be to do these days?

Left-wing crackpots are anarchists. You won't have to worry about any of them running for public office!

Left-wing crackpots are anarchists. You won't have to worry about any of them running for public office!

You can say that for both ends of the spectrum. Your not going to have a right wing "crackpot" running a country. But, then again....isn't labeling a person pretty much subjective? I happen to think that Obama is pretty much out there. But, he might not be too far out there for you. It just comes down to ideology of an individual.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back