Sebelius Explains Errors, Pays $7,000 in Back Taxes

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Health and Human Services nominee Kathleen Sebelius has corrected three years of tax returns and paid more than $7,000 in back taxes after finding "unintentional errors" -- the latest tax troubles for an Obama administration nominee.

The Kansas governor explained the changes to senators in a letter dated Tuesday that was obtained by The Associated Press. She said they involved charitable contributions, the sale of a home and business expenses.

She and her husband paid a total of $7,040 in back taxes and $878 in interest to amend returns from 2005-2007.

Sebelius Explains Errors, Pays $7,000 in Back Taxes - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

I wish they would stop feeding us their bullshit excuses and just hang their DUmmie heads in shame! Dayuuuum!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

another one who didnt pay their taxes
but how did this go unnoticed when she was Governor of Kansas

I think income tax evasion is a prerequisite for working in the Obama admin.

:eek:

Sebelius admits errors, pays $7,000 in back taxes

WASHINGTON – Health and Human Services nominee Kathleen Sebelius recently corrected three years of tax returns and paid more than $7,000 in back taxes after finding "unintentional errors" — the latest tax troubles for an Obama administration nominee. The Kansas governor explained the changes to senators in a letter dated Tuesday that the administration released. She said they involved charitable contributions, the sale of a home and business expenses.

Sebelius said she filed the amended returns as soon as the errors were discovered by an accountant she hired to scrub her taxes in preparation for her confirmation hearings. She and her husband, Gary, a federal magistrate judge in Kansas, paid a total of $7,040 in back taxes and $878 in interest to amend returns from 2005-2007.

Several Obama administration nominees have run into tax troubles, notably the president's first nominee for HHS secretary, former Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle. He withdrew from consideration while apologizing for failing to pay $140,000 in taxes and interest.

Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., quickly issued a statement supporting Sebelius.

"Congress is going to need a strong partner at the Department of Health and Human Services to achieve comprehensive health reform this year, and we have that partner in Gov. Sebelius," Baucus said. "There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Gov. Sebelius has the political experience, determination, and bipartisan work ethic to get the job done with Congress this year. She's the right person for the job."

There was no comment from the White House.

Sebelius is to appear Thursday before Baucus' committee, which will vote on sending her nomination to the full Senate. Sebelius testified Tuesday before the Senate's Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee before the tax issue became public, getting a friendly reception.

Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, the top Republican on the Finance Committee, said through a spokeswoman that he is reserving judgment until the vetting process, including the nomination hearing, is completed.

In her letter to Baucus and Grassley, Sebelius wrote that the accountant discovered these errors:

_Charitable contributions over $250 are supposed to include an acknowledgment letter from the charity in order for a deduction to be taken. Out of 49 charitable contributions made, three letters couldn't be found.

_Sebelius and her husband took deductions for mortgage interest that they weren't entitled to. The couple sold their home in 2006 for less than what they owed on the mortgage. They continued to make payments on the mortgage, including interest. But since they no longer owned the home they weren't entitled to take deductions for the interest. The same thing happened with a home improvement loan. Sebelius said they "mistakenly believed" the payments were still deductible.

_Insufficient documentation was found for some business expense deductions.

An administration official said Sebelius filed the amended returns before documents formalizing her nomination were sent to the Finance Committee. Sebelius advised the committee of the mistakes, and senators requested an explanation, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

In a letter to Sebelius dated Tuesday, Baucus and Grassley wrote that they'd reviewed the three years of amended returns and "no additional items were identified that needed to be addressed."

___

Associated Press writer Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar contributed to this report.

WASHINGTON – Health and Human Services nominee Kathleen Sebelius recently corrected three years of tax returns and paid more than $7,000 in back taxes after finding "unintentional errors" — the latest tax troubles for an Obama administration nominee. The Kansas governor explained the changes to senators in a letter dated Tuesday that the administration released. She said they involved charitable contributions, the sale of a home and business expenses.

Sebelius said she filed the amended returns as soon as the errors were discovered by an accountant she hired to scrub her taxes in preparation for her confirmation hearings. She and her husband, Gary, a federal magistrate judge in Kansas, paid a total of $7,040 in back taxes and $878 in interest to amend returns from 2005-2007.

Several Obama administration nominees have run into tax troubles, notably the president's first nominee for HHS secretary, former Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle. He withdrew from consideration while apologizing for failing to pay $140,000 in taxes and interest.

Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., quickly issued a statement supporting Sebelius.

"Congress is going to need a strong partner at the Department of Health and Human Services to achieve comprehensive health reform this year, and we have that partner in Gov. Sebelius," Baucus said. "There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Gov. Sebelius has the political experience, determination, and bipartisan work ethic to get the job done with Congress this year. She's the right person for the job."

Sebelius is to appear Thursday before Baucus' committee, which will vote on sending her nomination to the full Senate. Sebelius testified Tuesday before the Senate's Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee before the tax issue became public, getting a friendly reception.

Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, the top Republican on the Finance Committee, said through a spokeswoman that he is reserving judgment until the vetting process, including the nomination hearing, is completed.

In her letter to Baucus and Grassley, Sebelius wrote that the accountant discovered these errors:

_Charitable contributions over $250 are supposed to include an acknowledgment letter from the charity in order for a deduction to be taken. Out of 49 charitable contributions made, three letters couldn't be found.

_Sebelius and her husband took deductions for mortgage interest that they weren't entitled to. The couple sold their home in 2006 for less than what they owed on the mortgage. They continued to make payments on the mortgage, including interest. But since they no longer owned the home they weren't entitled to take deductions for the interest. The same thing happened with a home improvement loan. Sebelius said they "mistakenly believed" the payments were still deductible.

An administration official said Sebelius filed the amended returns before documents formalizing her nomination were sent to the Finance Committee. Sebelius advised the committee of the mistakes, and senators requested an explanation, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

In a letter to Sebelius dated Tuesday, Baucus and Grassley wrote that they'd reviewed the three years of amended returns and "no additional items were identified that needed to be addressed."

___

No wonder the Government's broke. Democrats don't pay their taxes.

Doesn't surprise me 1 bit. It seems like Dems are eager to commit regular people to shouldering the burden of their agendas but oddly reluctant to chip in themselves. How hypocritical is that?

___

how are you feeling about Obama at this point, David?

I feel fine about Obama. Just because your nominees' account sucks, doesn't mean you can't run the country.

None of us here are rich enough to actually have to worry about owing back taxes.

I just find this REALLY odd that everyone he seems to pick seems to owe back taxes. What are the odds? Where was the opposition research when she ran for gov. of Kansas?

Last edited:
another one who didnt pay their taxes
but how did this go unnoticed when she was Governor of Kansas

I feel fine about Obama. Just because your nominees' account sucks, doesn't mean you can't run the country.

None of us here are rich enough to actually have to worry about owing back taxes.

I just find this REALLY odd that everyone he seems to pick seems to owe back taxes. What are the odds? Where was the opposition research when she ran for gov. of Kansas?
thats what I said much earlier

It's amazing what Obamabots will tell themselves. :cuckoo:

Doesn't surprise me 1 bit. It seems like Dems are eager to commit regular people to shouldering the burden of their agendas but oddly reluctant to chip in themselves. How hypocritical is that?

We've never seen this problem to this scale before. I think obama is crocked and a racist, and he gravitates towards those that are also crocked and racists. Rezko, Ayers, Farrakhan, Wright, just to name a few. Obama's legacy will be one of lies and corruption to the extent no one has ever seen before. He will be known as, "the President who bankrupted America." He was NOT READY nor FIT to be President. Again I say, the people that voted for him should be hiding their heads in shame.

Don't worry folks. This dog and pony show is JUST GETTING STARTED! Wait until this next terrorist attack hits us... ppphht... did I say "terrorist?" My mistake... "man made disaster." These fucking liberal butt plugs turn my stomach.

Last edited:
I have a sneaking suspicion that if every person in politics had their tax returns scrutinized like this woman's taxes were scrutinized, damned few of them would NOT suddenly discover that they'd overlooked some part of their taxes.

Republican, Democrat, doesn't matter.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if every person in politics had their tax returns scrutinized like this woman's taxes were scrutinized, damned few of them would NOT suddenly discover that they'd overlooked some part of their taxes.

Republican, Democrat, doesn't matter.

Umm, she found the errors, over three years worth. Just knew she was going to be vetted. IF this wasn't a pattern, I'd not remark on it. But it is a pattern. Lots of folks have gone through confirmation process before, without this level of tax payments needing to be paid. As for those already serving, my guess is you're correct. So easy to tax others, while skipping yourself.

Forum List

Back