So athiests..........

Honey, a Christian started this thread so she could criticize atheists...

Perhaps you should care less about what other people believe or don't believe.

I don't see the OP that way, Jill.
It came across as a curious question.

I did, however, see Koshergirl's first reply a bit harsh and out of line in relation to what had been posted prior.

I see by my calendar that it's almost Hanukkah, Jill. So Shalom.
:cool:

PS
With a username like Koshergirl are you Jewish as well, ma'am?
I know your usual posts show you're well versed in the Bible but you come across as more Christian than Jew.
Just asking.

(and no, folks, I'm not getting into the back&forth bullshit, so I'm not here to comment on concentration camps and crusades)
Like Sunshine, I'm also curious as to how people that call themselves atheists celebrate the "holiday season".

So can we continue that discussion?

Honey, a Christian started this thread so she could criticize atheists...

Perhaps you should care less about what other people believe or don't believe.

I don't see the OP that way, Jill.
It came across as a curious question.

I did, however, see Koshergirl's first reply a bit harsh and out of line in relation to what had been posted prior.

I see by my calendar that it's almost Hanukkah, Jill. So Shalom.

PS
With a username like Koshergirl are you Jewish as well, ma'am?
I know your usual posts show you're well versed in the Bible but you come across as more Christian than Jew.
Just asking.

(and no, folks, I'm not getting into the back&forth bullshit, so I'm not here to comment on concentration camps and crusades)
Like Sunshine, I'm also curious as to how people that call themselves atheists celebrate the "holiday season".

So can we continue that discussion?

And I answered it as such.

For my part, I recognize that our culture is Christian based. I participate in the cultural traditions.

The people who celebrated 'it' BCE were superstitious. They worshipped Ishtar, 'the goddess.' And they celebrated the winter solstice in anticipation of the rebirth of the sun:

They practiced incantations and the celebration were supposed to please the goddess, take your pick of Babylon, Egypt, Sumeria. Wherever.

Yes, I’m aware of all that.

And then as now those free from faith observed the celebration, regardless its religious context. The point being Christians do not have an exclusive right to celebrate Christmas.

No one ever said they did.

I’m aware of that as well; in general, however, it’s a logical inference, as there are Christians who believe exactly that.

The people who celebrated 'it' BCE were superstitious. They worshipped Ishtar, 'the goddess.' And they celebrated the winter solstice in anticipation of the rebirth of the sun:

They practiced incantations and the celebration were supposed to please the goddess, take your pick of Babylon, Egypt, Sumeria. Wherever.

Yes, I’m aware of all that.

And then as now those free from faith observed the celebration, regardless its religious context. The point being Christians do not have an exclusive right to celebrate Christmas.

No one ever said they did.

I’m aware of that as well; in general, however, it’s a logical inference, as there are Christians who believe exactly that.

Where did I suggest that Christians have an exclusive right to celebrate Christmas? There was no premise to this thread other than to ask a question.

Just curious, in those days how many were 'free from faith?'

Last edited:
Of course I care what people believe, Jillian! I want people to go to heaven.

You don't want me there. Seriously, I'd be nuthin' but trouble. :)

Well there are a number of people I know who would make 'heaven' less than heavenly.
And I don't really much like the Biblical description of heaven where we all work our butts off serving God. If it's going to be heaven I want a break. I don't want to have to work from daylight til dark taking care of everyone else. I want someone to take care of ME for a change. THAT would be heaven.

I have never had plum pudding.

Or figgy pudding.

Or Yorkshire pudding.

I think I would like them all immensely.

Wait..I made yorkshire pudding once, it was yummy.

Oh you ass! I thought you said you roast a chicken! I thought it odd that you would capitalize it, but this is the internet, who pays attention to that sort of thing!

So do you travel door to door and hold landowners hostage if they don't trot out eggnog and figgy pudding?

Do you sacrifice virgins? Oh wait..you don't have any. I'm sorry!

Last edited:
I have never had plum pudding.

Or figgy pudding.

Or Yorkshire pudding.

I think I would like them all immensely.

Wait..I made yorkshire pudding once, it was yummy.

That makes me sad when I think of the millions of little Minces that give their lives to be meat for pies around the country (world?)
:eusa_shifty:

Yeah. Pretty much the same here. Roughly half my extended family are Christians, so we play along. Neither I, nor my gf, ever really bring up our beliefs and are happy to respectfully participate in the traditions of our religious friends.

What did you expect? Firebombing churches?

Well, since the US decided to make Christmas the secular holiday it is today over 100 years ago to spend time with our families and appreciate what we all have, I would say of course most US atheists celebrate Christmas. It is theirs as much as it is anyone's.

Oh sorry..did I just kill the Christian: "Pity me on Christmas" vibe?

Damn..that sucks.

You guys do ramp it up this time of year, don't you. How fun it must be. Do you go around popping little kids' balloons at the carnival, too?

If you don't believe, why does Christmas make you so crazy?

Wazz a matter..did I just kill your revisionist history with facts?

I do not even think it is revisionist, it is just not knowing a single thing about anything at all and having to listen to what other people tell them. Sometimes I really hope that one is a child posing as an adult because seeing their posts makes me really sad that someone could be so lost.

Visited the holocaust museum a couple of years ago in DC. It should be a required field trip for high school students. Human beings can get really, really fucked up in the head. Never again, indeed.

Yet, we are on our way, again. So many people will not even consider that it is happening, that it IS happening. Anti-semitism is on the rise. Jews and those that would offer assistance are under attack and persecution from Europe to the ME to Africa to India. Abortion is accepted with the 'Obamacare' ushering in selective killing (discontinuing health care for those deemed unworthy) by an autonomus board or committee. Experiments are being done on embryos; genetic 'mixing' is being 'explored'. We are on our way to another holocaust. It is being ignored by "good" people in the same way many of the "good" Germans ignored Hitler's intentions, until it was too late. People do not want to look, too many are willing to go with the "flow", than make a stand.

So, is your SN to be funny?

So you are cool with celebrating pagan celebrations (another religion), but Christianity is just too much for you to take?

I'm cool with doing things that are largely based upon the observable cycles of the year and which make logical sense to me. The darkest time of the year is at the winter solstice (around December 22). Having a lot of lights in the house makes it feel festive and cheery. Evergreen trees, holly and mistletoe remain green in the winter, which serves as a valuable reminder that even in the darkest and coldest times, life is resilient.

The symbolism speaks to me, even though I don't really believe in the mythology.

As far as the tradition of giving gifts, that dates back to the Saturnalia. Now THAT would have been a holiday worth celebrating. ^.^

Last edited:
Atheists could have simply replied: we celebrate it like another holiday. We do thank the Christians for making this holiday possible (since it is religion-based). We think the USA is best place in the world to live and have chosen to stay in this country for the following reasons:
Go ahead, fill in the blanks. I believe in you.

Why do I need to talk about my patriotism in a thread about how I celebrate this time of year? Is my patriotism somehow suspect because I'm not a Jesus Freak?

......How do you celebrate Christmas?

Do you buy gifts? Do you refuse to accept gifts? Do you tie one on? What?

Since gift giving for the winter solstice has been around way before Christianity I would ask you Jesus freaks how come you had to co opt the ancient winter celebration with your beliefs?

You can't be 100% certain when JC was born anyway so why don't you all be a little more original and pick another day?

Forum List

Back