So athiests..........

Visited the holocaust museum a couple of years ago in DC. It should be a required field trip for high school students. Human beings can get really, really fucked up in the head. Never again, indeed.

Was there just after it opened. But what does that have to do with how someone spends Christmas?

Not much at all, now that you mention it. :)

Yeah. Pretty much the same here. Roughly half my extended family are Christians, so we play along. Neither I, nor my gf, ever really bring up our beliefs and are happy to respectfully participate in the traditions of our religious friends.

What did you expect? Firebombing churches?

Actually, I was just curious. I don't think I've ever heard an athiest say what they do with the Christmas season. I do know a few, and most actually like getting gifts.

This one prefers giving. I've got an excuse this time of year.

There's no one there to stop you the rest of the year.

The atheists from this board aren't interested in sharing their own beliefs, their primary function (besides getting drunk and taking their kids to the gambling and prostitution capitol of the world, it seems) is to spend time attacking Christians for THEIR beliefs.

Honey, a Christian started this thread so she could criticize atheists...

Perhaps you should care less about what other people believe or don't believe.

Actually, it was just a curiosity thingy. And I don't believe I have EVER stated any preferred religion.

I don’t know about ‘atheists’ but those of us free from superstition celebrate it the same way we’ve celebrated for millennia before it was appropriated by Christians: decorated trees, mistletoe, gifts, family, friends, good food and drink, acts of charity and goodwill, looking forward to the New Year, and so on.

The people who celebrated 'it' BCE were superstitious. They worshipped Ishtar, 'the goddess.' And they celebrated the winter solstice in anticipation of the rebirth of the sun:

a whole bunch of pagan gods were born on that day. In fact, pagans celebrated a festival involving a heroic supernatural figure that visits an evergreen tree and leaves gifts on December 25th long before Jesus was ever born. From its early Babylonian roots, the celebration of the birth or "rebirth" of the sun god on December 25th came to be celebrated under various names all over the ancient world. You see, the winter solstice occurs a few days before December 25th each year. The winter solstice is the day of the year when daylight is the shortest. In ancient times, December 25th was the day each year when the day started to become noticeably longer. Thus it was fitting for the early pagans to designate December 25th as the date of the birth or the "rebirth" of the sun.

The truth is that thousands of years before there was a "Santa Claus", there was another supernatural figure who would supposedly visit a tree and leave gifts every December 25th.

His name was Nimrod.

The celebration of December 25th goes all the way back to ancient Babylon.

According to ancient Babylonian tradition, Semiramis (who eventually became known as the goddess Astarte/Asherah/Ashtoreth/Isis/Ishtar/Easter in other pagan religions) claimed that after the untimely death of her son/husband Nimrod (yes she was married to her own son), a full grown evergreen tree sprang up overnight from a dead tree stump. Semiramis claimed that Nimrod would visit that evergreen tree and leave gifts each year on the anniversary of his birth, which just happened to be on December 25th.

This is the true origin of the Christmas tree.

They practiced incantations and the celebration were supposed to please the goddess, take your pick of Babylon, Egypt, Sumeria. Wherever.

Visited the holocaust museum a couple of years ago in DC. It should be a required field trip for high school students. Human beings can get really, really fucked up in the head. Never again, indeed.

Yet, we are on our way, again. So many people will not even consider that it is happening, that it IS happening. Anti-semitism is on the rise. Jews and those that would offer assistance are under attack and persecution from Europe to the ME to Africa to India. Abortion is accepted with the 'Obamacare' ushering in selective killing (discontinuing health care for those deemed unworthy) by an autonomus board or committee. Experiments are being done on embryos; genetic 'mixing' is being 'explored'. We are on our way to another holocaust. It is being ignored by "good" people in the same way many of the "good" Germans ignored Hitler's intentions, until it was too late. People do not want to look, too many are willing to go with the "flow", than make a stand.

Actually, that's fascism on display.

That's an atheist/liberal thing.

Naw.

Reichskonkordat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On the Jews and Their Lies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so.

- Adolf Hitler, to General Gerhard Engel, 1941

And the founder of Christianity made no secret indeed of his estimation of the Jewish people. When He found it necessary, He drove those enemies of the human race out of the Temple of God; because then, as always, they used religion as a means of advancing their commercial interests. But at that time Christ was nailed to the Cross for his attitude towards the Jews; whereas our modern Christians enter into party politics and when elections are being held they debase themselves to beg for Jewish votes. They even enter into political intrigues with the atheistic Jewish parties against the interests of their own Christian nation.

- Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 11

My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. ...Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. ...

- Adolf Hitler, speech on April 12, 1922

That man almost became a Priest.

Heck..didn't the Crusaders roast up some Greek Orthodox babies when they hit Constantinople?

Fun bunch.

How many "monsters" use the 'church' to gain access to victims (in every religion)? Hitler did not 'practice' Christianity. He used Christianity to manipulate the ignorant (Biblically).

Yet, we are on our way, again. So many people will not even consider that it is happening, that it IS happening. Anti-semitism is on the rise. Jews and those that would offer assistance are under attack and persecution from Europe to the ME to Africa to India. Abortion is accepted with the 'Obamacare' ushering in selective killing (discontinuing health care for those deemed unworthy) by an autonomus board or committee. Experiments are being done on embryos; genetic 'mixing' is being 'explored'. We are on our way to another holocaust. It is being ignored by "good" people in the same way many of the "good" Germans ignored Hitler's intentions, until it was too late. People do not want to look, too many are willing to go with the "flow", than make a stand.

While I do see a kind of 'soft fascism' on the rise in the US, we're a long, long way away from the insanity that gripped Hitler's Germany. Not that we shouldn't be wary. Fascism is a resilient ethos, and will likely come back in a form we don't readily recognize.

Actually, I was just curious. I don't think I've ever heard an athiest say what they do with the Christmas season. I do know a few, and most actually like getting gifts.

I'm non-religious. We always have a christmas tree, stockings on the fireplace, lights on the outside of our house, and even a nativity scene (that my parents bought back in the 1950s). We exchange gifts and usually go to Christmas eve service with my parents. It's not my thing, but I'm not offended by it. I have to be honest, I sit there and ponder the influence of mythology over people's lives. My daughter (who is 18) is also non-religious, so if it gets too over the top fundy, we usually roll our eyes at each other.

Then we come home and eat prime rib. :D

Most of the things we celebrate (Christmas tree, lights, feasting) predate Christmas as pagan traditions and were assimilated by Christianity. So, we don't really feel any weirdness about celebrating them.

So you are cool with celebrating pagan celebrations (another religion), but Christianity is just too much for you to take?

And neither party is going to vaccinate the elderly for avian flu should it become transmissible human to human. So your point about how athiests celebreate Christmas is................??

The atheists from this board aren't interested in sharing their own beliefs, their primary function (besides getting drunk and taking their kids to the gambling and prostitution capitol of the world, it seems) is to spend time attacking Christians for THEIR beliefs.

Honey, a Christian started this thread so she could criticize atheists...

Perhaps you should care less about what other people believe or don't believe.

Atheists could have simply replied: we celebrate it like another holiday. We do thank the Christians for making this holiday possible (since it is religion-based). We think the USA is best place in the world to live and have chosen to stay in this country for the following reasons:
Go ahead, fill in the blanks. I believe in you.

"If you are staying in Las Vegas, both of the brothels in Pahrump offer transportation services that will pick you up from your Las Vegas hotel for free and return you for free as well."
Las Vegas Prostitution - Nevada | Las Vegas Travel Guide

Anyway.

What other fun activities do atheists do with their kids, besides getting plastered and gambling?

You forgot to address this part,

MountainMan said:
Find a post of mine in the past 2 years where I've attacked religion (other than $cientology) or a person for being religious.
Seems that you are just trying to pick a fight (you did claim atheists attack Christians).
Sorry Koshergrl, I'm not gonna crawl into the gutter to satisfy your desire for a fight.

He wants to be a mod something fierce. So he can't do anything that looks like a 'fight'. LOL
Or maybe I just prefer conversation.

I spend my time avoiding Christians who want to shove me into an oven. You know..like the good ol' days. :D

Ahhh but do you work on Christmas day or refuse holiday pay?

Of course I care what people believe, Jillian! I want people to go to heaven. But I do get sort of ticked on here...

While I do see a kind of 'soft fascism' on the rise in the US, we're a long, long way away from the insanity that gripped Hitler's Germany. Not that we shouldn't be wary. Fascism is a resilient ethos, and will likely come back in a form we don't readily recognize.

Yes, that was my point: IT IS STARTING, again. Unless we remain vigilant and call it by name, IT will happen, again. It begins by people 'coveting' others possessions. They find a 'legal excuse' to take it. Eventually, the takers 'need' that 'income' to maintain artificial standards. Once they 'bleed' the original target, they must take action against another "group" (elevated to hate status) to gain their possessions, as well. Once the 'wealth' has been 'redistributed' (mainly among the ruling elite with tiny gifts to the mob), there is no one and no resources to stop them from turning the rest of the population into serfs/ slaves/ servants/ peons/low class/working poor/etc. It is happening, and unless 'good' people (no matter what religion) are willing to stop them, you will see history repeat itself.

No, we're almost in exactly the same spot that Hitler's Germany was in...though we haven't actually been decimated in war, we have refused to really win one in quite a while, despite multiple engagements.

But I agree, it will come back in a form that those who embrace it won't recognize. Which is why they don't recognize it now.

I have photos my father took in Buchenwald and Auschwitz.
These were NOT Christians.

Yeah.. I didn't mean to imply the Holocaust had anything substantive to do with Christianity. I was merely replying to the video, which I found moving and reminded me of the museum experience.

Forum List

Back