So athiests..........

Does that change the definition of dismissive?

Or is it only others can be dismissive and not you?
:eusa_boohoo:

I was not dismissive of his beliefs. I was dismissive of the fact that he had inaccurately and irrationally described my own. There's a difference. I guess in black/white thinker world, you don't see.

Seemed fairly accurate, actually.
:cool:

really? the catholic church ran the crusades?

or was that church of england?

the catholic church burned witches at the stake?

or was that puritans?

Interestingly enough, the Puritans fled Protestant discrimination in England and came to America, only to persecute/kill/torture other people for their beliefs.

or was that puritans?

Interestingly enough, the Puritans fled Protestant discrimination in England and came to America, only to persecute/kill/torture other people for their beliefs.

Now THAT'S a fact!
:clap2:

But I don't see where Peach attributed the Crusades or burning witches to the Catholics. Only that they killed in the name of their religion.
Wasn't it a crime, punishable by death by the "Church", to own a Bible?

Now THAT'S a fact!

But I don't see where Peach attributed the Crusades or burning witches to the Catholics. Only that they killed in the name of their religion.

I don't attribute the murder/mayhem to any particular belief system (or for that matter, lack of beliefs). As a non-believer, I think that there is a scientific explanation for it. We're primates. Primate society is tribal, and outsiders can be dangerous to the weak and the young. Primates band together to fight against strangers and can be violent when approached by what might be perceived to a threat.

On the inside, we're still just curious, sometimes violent, monkeys with opposable thumbs. We have many explanations for our violent impulses, but mass persecution generally comes down to tribalism...the stranger who poses a threat to our orderly system must be destroyed. Often, as cruelly as possible.

Christians do it, Jews do it, Muslims do it, Atheists do it, Buddhists do it. There is no "tribe" of people who is immune to the impulse to destroy the stranger, and our history is rife with it. We do it for big reasons and small reasons...dogma, skin color, or the color of someone's hair.

Hell, in Los Angeles, a tribe may kill you for wearing the wrong color of shoe laces.

Last edited:
And as a person of faith, I see it as this...when we dismiss God, use religion for our own purposes, abuse the law of God, and replace the Almighty with other gods, we are no better than animals.

And as a person of faith, I see it as this...when we dismiss God, use religion for our own purposes, abuse the law of God, and replace the Almighty with other gods, we are no better than animals.

If this were the case, some sect would have avoided these tendencies. Can you think of one that has?

Are you familiar with the phrase, "Killing the wounded"? It happens all the time, in all kinds of churches when someone threatens the stability of the "tribe." The person who is perceived to be a threat (for losing faith, for engaging in some sin, for failing to be completely compliant) is often driven out or permanently damaged via character assasination, slander, bullying, and all kinds of unhealthy acts.

You exhibit this behavior all the time on the board, KG, to be blunt. You want to pretend that the love of Jesus has actually made a difference in your life, but that difference is not apparent in your conduct on this board. You are all too quick to cast aspersions on other people, to ridicule, to character assasinate, when people fail to agree with your dogmatic convictions.

It's sad. Man's inhumanity to man...that is the recurring theme of our species.

Last edited:
The church of England during the crusades was Catholic.
The times back then was aggressive, brutal and bloody,in the name of Christianity.
Catholics as well as Protestants.
The misconceptions of the heads of both religions brought about a lot of the religious wars.
And both religions burnt witches, but for different reasons. Catholics because they posed a threat (how dare they, to be healers and midwives) Protestants because they were evil. Both were wrong.

Last edited:
Now THAT'S a fact!

I don't attribute the murder/mayhem to any particular belief system (or for that matter, lack of beliefs). As a non-believer, I think that there is a scientific explanation for it. We're primates. Primate society is tribal, and outsiders can be dangerous to the weak and the young. Primates band together to fight against strangers and can be violent when approached by what might be perceived to a threat.

On the inside, we're still just curious, sometimes violent, monkeys with opposable thumbs. We have many explanations for our violent impulses, but mass persecution generally comes down to tribalism...the stranger who poses a threat to our orderly system must be destroyed. Often, as cruelly as possible.

Christians do it, Jews do it, Muslims do it, Atheists do it, Buddhists do it. There is no "tribe" of people who is immune to the impulse to destroy the stranger, and our history is rife with it. We do it for big reasons and small reasons...dogma, skin color, or the color of someone's hair.

Hell, in Los Angeles, a tribe may kill you for wearing the wrong color of shoe laces.

Fair enough

The church of England during the crusades was Catholic.
The times back then was aggressive, brutal and bloody,in the name of Christianity.
Catholics as well as Protestants.
The misconceptions of the heads of both religions brought about a lot of the religious wars.
And both religions burnt witches, but for different reasons. Catholics because they posed a threat (how dare they, to be healers and midwives) Protestants because they will evil. Both were wrong.

Thanks for clarifying.

The atheists from this board aren't interested in sharing their own beliefs, their primary function (besides getting drunk and taking their kids to the gambling and prostitution capitol of the world, it seems) is to spend time attacking Christians for THEIR beliefs.

Fortunately, Christians do not get drunk, gamble, have sex outside of marriage or disparage the beliefs of others...oh, wait.

Your original question was : "So atheists...how do you celebrate Christmas?" Your question should have been, "So, non-Christians...how do you celebrate Christmas? There are many people - including me - who do not accept Christianity, but whose belief in God is as strong as yours. If defining all those who do not believe the same way you do as "atheists," then you are an atheist as far as I am concerned.

In answer to your question, my wife and I (there are no kids in the house) celebrate the same way that most Christians traditionally do. We listen to Christmas music and watch Christmas shows on TV, such as A Dog Named Christmas, A Christmas Carol, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and anything to do with Charlie Brown and Snoopy. My wife, who is a Christian will read the Bible and watch a few television ministers, especially Charles Stanley and Joyce Meyer. I watch, too, because I like to know how others think and feel. My wife and I attend the Church of Christ. I always go with her because it makes her feel good, it does me no harm and I love acappella singing.

I have studied the Bible for over 60 years and the Qur'an for a little over ten years. I do not accept either Book to be the complete, inspired and inerrant word of God. I am convinced that God will not judge us by what we believe, but rather how we live our lives in accordance with that belief. Belief is not volitional; that is, we cannot will ourselves to believe one way or another. The idea that one can believe upon command is illogical and contrary to human nature. Rather, belief is an involuntary act; belief is our perspective created by our total life's experiences filtered through the prism of our individual preferences and prejudices. Our beliefs are the product of the fickle forces of heredity and environment, things that are more controlled by chance than choice. We are not so much masters of our beliefs as we are its slaves; therefore, I am persuaded that God would not judge us by what we believe, but rather how we act on those beliefs.

Poet Shelly said it best:

"This is the pivot upon which all religions turn; they all assume that it is in our power to believe or not to believe, whereas the mind can only believe that which it thinks true. A human being can only be supposed accountable for those actions which are influenced by his will. But belief is utterly distinct from and unconnected with volition; it is the apprehension of the agreement or disagreement of the ideas that compose any proposition. Belief is a passion or involuntary operation of the mind, and, like other passions, its intensity is precisely proportionate to the degree of excitement. Volition is essential to merit or demerit. But the Christian religion attaches the highest possible degree of merit and demerit to that which is worthy of neither, and which is totally unconnected with the peculiar faculty of the mind whose presence is essential to their being" (Notes to Queen Mab).

Oh, by the way: Merry Christmas!

Well, that's an interesting philosophy. But there ARE people in the world who cannot follow the rules, either God's rules or man's rules. They do not have the ability because they are either retarded, mentally ill, or they have never had the opportunity to learn the rules. They are incapable of being OR of doing.

"If you are staying in Las Vegas, both of the brothels in Pahrump offer transportation services that will pick you up from your Las Vegas hotel for free and return you for free as well."
Las Vegas Prostitution - Nevada | Las Vegas Travel Guide

Anyway.

What other fun activities do atheists do with their kids, besides getting plastered and gambling?

I like taking them to Disney Land. That was pretty fun. Almost as much fun as wine & penny poker night now that they're grown-ups.

or was that puritans?

Why would you put the church of England in there, they had enough of their own problems and were recognized as part of the Catholic church by the pope at the time of the crusades. It was the pope, the catholic church, and Spain that started the crusades.

Wha happened to the topic "How do atheists celebrate Christmas?"

I forgot to add "flaming dung pile in front of church during Sunday service"

Actually, that's fascism on display.

That's an atheist/liberal thing.
godwins-law1.png

Forum List

Back