Senator demands - morally superior light bulbs

Superlative

Mar 13, 2007

Senator demands US create morally superior light bulbs

Somebody pull out the red, white and blue paint. Light bulbs have turned patriotic.
US Senator Barbara Boxer today urged Silicon Valley's leaders to think of energy in nationalistic terms. This fine country has the strength, talent and will to curb its energy hungry ways and become a model for the rest of the world. Anything less and we're nothing more than Red China worshiping wastes.

“If the public keeps involved in this . . . it becomes something of a patriotic goal that we will lead the world on this challenge,” Boxer said, during a mini-energy summit held at AMD's Sunnyvale headquarters.
“The President has said, 'What is the point in doing anything (on energy consumption) when China and India will surpass us in a couple of years.' Well, since when does an American President look to China for leadership in the environment.”
“We don't sit around on an environmental question that threatens our people. We can't wait for China. We have to be the moral leader here.”
Boxer's repeated attacks against Bush came as the Democrat called for a non-partisan attitude toward global warming policies. The obvious irony no doubt shocks you.
Consumers should buy compact fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescent ones, adjust their thermostats and walk more, if they want to be real Americans, according to Boxer.
The Senator plans to turn global warming and the US's energy policy into one of the central issues in the upcoming presidential campaign.
The US currently makes up about 5 per cent of the world's population, while it chews through about 25 per cent of the energy. So, clearly part of the American spirit revolves around crude oil foot baths and air conditioned dog houses. Boxer will need to do more than throw Communist China at us to stop such practices.
Boxer addressed a number of Silicon Valley executives and politicians, during the meeting at AMD's headquarters.
It's no secret that green computing and energy have become all the rage in these parts with many hoping that breakthroughs in related technology will fuel a new wave of growth in the Valley. As so often happens, the hypesters have beat the energy drum so hard and so often in recent months that the whole subject has already become tedious.
Although, even the crustiest cynic would admit that the energy saving crusade proves a far better and more tolerable cause than Web 2.0 fluffery. ®

http://www.theregister.com/2007/04/09/boxer_china_energy/

I heard she still has her Christmas lights up and lit.

Green power is still a finite resource - being green is not a justification for gross overconsumption, no matter what the Goracle says.

Green power is still a finite resource - being green is not a justification for gross overconsumption, no matter what the Goracle says.

Well as I see it, a perfect opportunity for those with lots of expendable cash to be as wasteful as they choose, while castigating those with less of being wasteful and bad citizens.

green power is limited by demand...the more demand, the more green power...and all green power has ZERO impact on global warming...so quit being a hypocrite

green power is limited by demand...the more demand, the more green power...and all green power has ZERO impact on global warming...so quit being a hypocrite

Please explain this New New Economics of Power in which being green makes it infiitely available.

So the rich can be warm, bright, and happy. The poor cold, in the dark, and themselves?

That explains most Totalitarian outlooks.

Just sayin'.

I haven't read enough about these 'green offsets', perhaps sometime over the summer I'll get around to it. For some reason, I tend to think it may well be like ethanol, good in some circumstances, very bad in others.

While I cannot afford to go 'green' on electric, I haven't a problem with the lightbulb change, I'm working them in as the lights go out. That's a no brainer, save money over the long haul; if it's also good for the environment, so much the better.

What ticks me off though, are the rich telling the poor to lower or raise their thermostats, light usage, etc., while they pat themselves on the back for being 'superior' because they pay more.

What ticks me off though, are the rich telling the poor to lower or raise their thermostats, light usage, etc., while they pat themselves on the back for being 'superior' because they pay more.

Real leaders lead by example - not scolding others while exempting themselves from what they preach.

Please explain this New New Economics of Power in which being green makes it infiitely available.

it's called the market. Ever since electricity was deregulated, the market operates very much like classic markets do.... price and availability is driven by supply and demand. Right now.... green power costs an exorbitant amount when compared to standard offer electricity on the grid. ANd the supply of green power is pretty much limited due to the impact on demand of the high price. But it IS available if someone wants to pay for it. The more green power that is used - the greater the demand, therefore - the greater the potential for venture capital to bring MORE green power on the market.

In the early stages of this process, there is plenty of green power available to those who wish to pay for it - and those that do can rest easier knowing that they are having ZERO impact on global warming from their electricity use.

As the technology improves, and ethical commitment to the environment increases, not only will demand increase, but the costs of bringing new green generation online will decrease....which will begin to decrease costs and thus further increase demand.

I take it you never really studied market behavior in economics.

So...no one is saying that there is infinite supply.... but for now, if you are willing to pay the premium for the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your electicity use does not contribute to global warming, there is more than enough.

Real leaders lead by example - not scolding others while exempting themselves from what they preach.

Gore is preaching that we should limit our negative impact on the environment...he practices that by using green electricity which has no negative impact on the environment.

No one (in their right mind) is expecting Al Gore to move into a one bedroom efficiency apartment and take the bus to work.... he is doing more than most Americans and he is spending his life working to improve our environment - and you assholes can only complain and call him elitist.

Gore is preaching that we should limit our negative impact on the environment...he practices that by using green electricity which has no negative impact on the environment.

No one (in their right mind) is expecting Al Gore to move into a one bedroom efficiency apartment and take the bus to work.... he is doing more than most Americans and he is spending his life working to improve our environment - and you assholes can only complain and call him elitist.

Problem is, he seems to expect others and myself to lower our standard of living, because we cannot afford to do what he does.

By the same logic, those schools where the parents choose to live, that are substandard, dominated by parents who are poor, should not be bitching about those where they charge parents a fortune in textbooks, fees, etc. Then add on costs of extracurricular, though the kids tend to perform in the upper 75%.

Gee.

Which assumes we are actually haveing a measurable impact on global warming.

Which assumes we are actually haveing a measurable impact on global warming.

no....it makes no such assumption..... it merely states that by any measure, green electricity has ZERO impact.

And, even the most flat earth global warming deniers agree that man has some impact.... and anyone with enough common sense to use the toilet to defecate instead of their living room floor knows that not shitting in one's nest is an inherently good thing to do.

no....it makes no such assumption..... it merely states that by any measure, green electricity has ZERO impact.

And, even the most flat earth global warming deniers agree that man has some impact.... and anyone with enough common sense to use the toilet to defecate instead of their living room floor knows that not shitting in one's nest is an inherently good thing to do.

Are you going to address the class warfare issue inherent in the 'pledge'?

Are you going to address the class warfare issue inherent in the 'pledge'?

what class warfare issue? Gore suggests that we all do what we can do.

I know that I do what I can do. I use green power, but I also try to limit my electric bill for economic reasons.

I set my thermostat to a level where beer would chill nicely in the winter in my bathroom at night....

I recycle.

I carpool.

If I had the financial resources to buy carbon offsets, I would. If I had the financial resources, I would not be so stingy with my electric bill even though it IS pricey.

But I do what I can... and I try to figure out ways to do more.

Where is the class warfare in that?

I certainly do not expect the wealthy to leave their lovely homes and move into cold water walk up apartments and give up automobiles and walk everywhere.... but when the wealthy DO do things like use green electricity and buy carbon offsets and install solar panels on their roofs and drive hybrids.... I think that is great and a hell of a lot better than if they conspicuously consumed and did not take ANY steps to minimize their impact on the environment.

what class warfare issue? Gore suggests that we all do what we can do.

I know that I do what I can do. I use green power, but I also try to limit my electric bill for economic reasons.

I set my thermostat to a level where beer would chill nicely in the winter in my bathroom at night....

I recycle.

I carpool.

If I had the financial resources to buy carbon offsets, I would. If I had the financial resources, I would not be so stingy with my electric bill even though it IS pricey.

But I do what I can... and I try to figure out ways to do more.

Where is the class warfare in that?

I certainly do not expect the wealthy to leave their lovely homes and move into cold water walk up apartments and give up automobiles and walk everywhere.... but when the wealthy DO do things like use green electricity and buy carbon offsets and install solar panels on their roofs and drive hybrids.... I think that is great and a hell of a lot better than if they conspicuously consumed and did not take ANY steps to minimize their impact on the environment.

Actually Gore did issue a challenge, that we all pledge...

It seems what it comes down to is, 'those that can afford it may opt out, use SUV's, private planes, etc., because one can buy offsets.

For you poor ninnies, sweat in the summer, freeze in the winter, know you still are the problem.

I have less resources than you, with that said I also recycle, etc. I cannot afford 'green', even if I could, I'm far from convinced that there is the global warming issue, that is human based.

Assuming Gore and his alarms are correct, while I would gratefully keep my home at 68-70 in the winter, I can't. My dad wears a sweater and jacket in the house, when the thermostat is set at 78. I don't think air conditioning will be much of a problem, though because of humidity it will be a constant, at 78-80.

Forum List

Back