Senator demands - morally superior light bulbs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Superlative, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Superlative

Superlative Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109

Senator demands US create morally superior light bulbs

Somebody pull out the red, white and blue paint. Light bulbs have turned patriotic.
    US Senator Barbara Boxer today urged Silicon Valley's leaders to think of energy in nationalistic terms. This fine country has the strength, talent and will to curb its energy hungry ways and become a model for the rest of the world. Anything less and we're nothing more than Red China worshiping wastes.

“If the public keeps involved in this . . . it becomes something of a patriotic goal that we will lead the world on this challenge,” Boxer said, during a mini-energy summit held at AMD's Sunnyvale headquarters.
    “The President has said, 'What is the point in doing anything (on energy consumption) when China and India will surpass us in a couple of years.' Well, since when does an American President look to China for leadership in the environment.”
    “We don't sit around on an environmental question that threatens our people. We can't wait for China. We have to be the moral leader here.”
    Boxer's repeated attacks against Bush came as the Democrat called for a non-partisan attitude toward global warming policies. The obvious irony no doubt shocks you.
    Consumers should buy compact fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescent ones, adjust their thermostats and walk more, if they want to be real Americans, according to Boxer.
    The Senator plans to turn global warming and the US's energy policy into one of the central issues in the upcoming presidential campaign.
    The US currently makes up about 5 per cent of the world's population, while it chews through about 25 per cent of the energy. So, clearly part of the American spirit revolves around crude oil foot baths and air conditioned dog houses. Boxer will need to do more than throw Communist China at us to stop such practices.
    Boxer addressed a number of Silicon Valley executives and politicians, during the meeting at AMD's headquarters.
    It's no secret that green computing and energy have become all the rage in these parts with many hoping that breakthroughs in related technology will fuel a new wave of growth in the Valley. As so often happens, the hypesters have beat the energy drum so hard and so often in recent months that the whole subject has already become tedious.
    Although, even the crustiest cynic would admit that the energy saving crusade proves a far better and more tolerable cause than Web 2.0 fluffery. ®

http://www.theregister.com/2007/04/09/boxer_china_energy/

2. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,738
    I heard she still has her Christmas lights up and lit.

3. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

but she buys green power so why do you give a shit?

4. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,738
    Green power is still a finite resource - being green is not a justification for gross overconsumption, no matter what the Goracle says.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well as I see it, a perfect opportunity for those with lots of expendable cash to be as wasteful as they choose, while castigating those with less of being wasteful and bad citizens.

6. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    green power is limited by demand...the more demand, the more green power...and all green power has ZERO impact on global warming...so quit being a hypocrite

7. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,738
    Please explain this New New Economics of Power in which being green makes it infiitely available.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    So the rich can be warm, bright, and happy. The poor cold, in the dark, and themselves?

9. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,738

That explains most Totalitarian outlooks.

Just sayin'.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I haven't read enough about these 'green offsets', perhaps sometime over the summer I'll get around to it. For some reason, I tend to think it may well be like ethanol, good in some circumstances, very bad in others.

While I cannot afford to go 'green' on electric, I haven't a problem with the lightbulb change, I'm working them in as the lights go out. That's a no brainer, save money over the long haul; if it's also good for the environment, so much the better.

What ticks me off though, are the rich telling the poor to lower or raise their thermostats, light usage, etc., while they pat themselves on the back for being 'superior' because they pay more.