School Staff JAILED for Not Reporting

Sure. As I said, ADULT. So if a child told me he/she was being abused by an adult, you bet I'm reporting it.

But this wasn't it. Both teenagers. And yes, we know it was both teens, because one of the teens was a son of another staff at the school. A student.
The article doesnt say that. It says "guys"

Thank you. At least one reasonable person on this board.

If we were "mandatory reporters" for every escapade we got wind of between TEENS?

Really?

PS I am not saying we don't pursue these reports--but we do get parents involved FIRST. The parents rights folks around here don't like that I guess. Shocker.
If it is forced sexual contact or rape the school staff is made aware of, I am surprised no report outside the school would be required. Not being on school property/time, I would assume school staff responsibility would stop, with report.

Child abuse is a specific legal definition. We are mandatory reporters for child abuse.

Yes. It covers any under the age of 18 that have suffered abuse, either physical or sexual. And it does not matter who it is that abused them, an adult or another child.

Oh, and the laws are not just "child abuse", it covers a great range of individuals. In my state, it also covers the developmentally disabled, those with mental illness, the elderly, or anybody with physical impairments like those in a hospital or nursing home.

Once again, you are showing that you really do not understand the laws at all.

Okay, Bob is on record: he thinks it's fine for govt employees to report student on student crime even when it is off school property and off school times, and does not involve child abuse, rather leaving it to parents to report.

How is it not OK for anyone who has knowledge of a crime, to report it to proper authorities? Now you're going beyond denying the duty of those in certain positions to report crimes involving those over whom they have responsibility, and implying that even absent such a responsibility, that it is somehow “not fine” to report a crime at all.

I AM saying that people who advocate for strong parent rights and that the school should stay out are being inconsistent here.

Who, here, other than yourself, has suggested that school or school staff, on learning of a crime involving their students, should “stay out of it”?

Parent rights have nothing to do with it.

Those who do evil, or who support evil, want good people to “stay out of it”.

“What I particularly admire in him [Pablo Casals] is the firm stand he has taken, not only against the oppressors of his countrymen, but also against those opportunists who are always ready to compromise with the Devil. He perceives very clearly that the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it. — Albert Einstein​

The article doesnt mention the age at all.

From the abc article, but this is wrong. Florida law says abused by an ADULT, which is why when the school did report it, they did so to the police.

At any rate, it was students assaulting students, allegedly.

In June 2021, a friend of the victim wrote a letter outlining concerns for the victim, who was allegedly sexually assaulted by two boys, with the victim experiencing anxiety and panic attacks leading to self-harm, according to court records. The student gave this letter to the chorus teacher, Houchins, confident he would see to it that it was "routed properly," according to court documents.

Houchins, however, who allegedly read the letter, did not report the sexual assaults to the Florida Department of Children and Families as mandated by law, according to court documents.

How is it not OK for anyone who has knowledge of a crime, to report it to proper authorities? Now you're going beyond denying the duty of those in certain positions to report crimes involving those over whom they have responsibility, and implying that even absent such a responsibility, that it is somehow “not fine” to report a crime at all.

You're the parents rights gong-banger, right? Since these cretinous school staffers are groomers and can't be trusted, why should the school not report this to PARENTAL authority?

And if we're talking about reporting crimes directly to police that we're not lawfully mandated to report, does that go for ALL crimes we hear about second-hand, or just the ones you decide on?

See how impossible this all is?

Who, here, other than yourself, has suggested that school or school staff, on learning of a crime involving their students, should “stay out of it”?

Parent rights have nothing to do with it.

Those who do evil, or who support evil, want good people to “stay out of it”.

“What I particularly admire in him [Pablo Casals] is the firm stand he has taken, not only against the oppressors of his countrymen, but also against those opportunists who are always ready to compromise with the Devil. He perceives very clearly that the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it. — Albert Einstein​

How do you trust us to report crimes when you believe, if we take devices from students temporarily, we have committed "theft" and deserve to be physically pummeled?

If you are the public we are serving, why should we ever, EVER put our neck on the line beyond the bare minimum duty?

I'm dead serious.

Nothing about the circumstances in this classroom justified the teacher committing an act of forcible robbery, nor invalidated the right of the victim of the attempted robbery to defend himself and his property against that attack.

You're the parents rights gong-banger, right? Since these cretinous school staffers are groomers and can't be trusted, why should the school not report this to PARENTAL authority?

And if we're talking about reporting crimes directly to police that we're not lawfully mandated to report, does that go for ALL crimes we hear about second-hand, or just the ones you decide on?

See how impossible this all is?

How do you trust us to report crimes when you believe, if we take devices from students temporarily, we have committed "theft" and deserve to be physically pummeled?

If you are the public we are serving, why should we ever, EVER put our neck on the line beyond the bare minimum duty?

I'm dead serious.

Nothing about the circumstances in this classroom justified the teacher committing an act of forcible robbery, nor invalidated the right of the victim of the attempted robbery to defend himself and his property against that attack.

You're conflating things that have nothing at all to do with one another, in order to dishonestly manufacture an “inconsistency” that isn't there.

Yes, I am fully in favor of parents' rights, short of the case where the parents themselves are found to be abusive.

That has nothing at all to do with the right and responsibility of one who is aware of a crime having been committed, to report that crime to proper authorities.

It also has nothing to do with my, opposition to violent acts of strongarm robbery, especially when the criminal that is attempting to commit such a robbery is someone in a position of authority over the victim of that attempted robbery, nor with my absolute support for the right of a victim of any such attempted robbery to use whatever force he must to defend himself against the criminal that is trying to rob him.

Of course, this is not about whether I would or would not follow the law. I would. This is about WHY parents rights conservatives CONDONE this situation.

No one can give me an answer.
I think a parent letting their child mutilate their children because they think they are in the wrong body is physical child abuse and I would report it. Parents do not have the right to abuse their children.

This was not assault or abuse by an adult.

This was a teacher being passed a note written by a student, reporting that ANOTHER student was being assaulted by OTHER students. Teen-to-teen, second hand. He reported it to admin, who did some investigating, dragged their feet a little, and finally reported it.

And the staff was JAILED for--idk--reporting it too late?

Why is this the govt schools' job?
Which would be a crime. If when in doubt report it. The note itself is enough to report. Depending on the state she’s in, there is a set procedure to follow. The question is did she follow the procedure or did she need to notify any other agency too. It seems to me in this case she did. But I don’t know that state’s law on this.

I actually agree here, that was sarcasm.

I find it amazing that the OP seems to believe that teachers and other mandatory reporters should not report abuse of children.
Exactly! It doesn’t matter who the abuser or bully is.

It’s both. The teach needs to know the procedure to help the students and to stay out of legal trouble too. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Doing what is in the best interest of any student is far more important than any teacher covering his ass. Anyone who does not intrinsically understand this should not be a teacher.

You're conflating things that have nothing at all to do with one another, in order to dishonestly manufacture an “inconsistency” that isn't there.

Yes, I am fully in favor of parents' rights, short of the case where the parents themselves are found to be abusive.

That has nothing at all to do with the right and responsibility of one who is aware of a crime having been committed, to report that crime to proper authorities.

It also has nothing to do with my, opposition to violent acts of strongarm robbery, especially when the criminal that is attempting to commit such a robbery is someone in a position of authority over the victim of that attempted robbery, nor with my absolute support for the right of a victim of any such attempted robbery to use whatever force he must to defend himself against the criminal that is trying to rob him.

So, teachers are criminals but they can report crimes, before they inform parents, based on hearsay. And not EVEN when parents are the criminals, but when it's teen on teen issues.

hahahahhahahahahahahahha

Oh yeah

hahahahahhahahahahahah

(And you said, "short of the case where parents are found to be abusive"). Great. Why should teachers, who make about 50K a year, put themselves in legal jeopardy? You want the 'rights'? Take the responsibility too.)

Last edited:
So, teachers are criminals but they can report crimes, before they inform parents, based on hearsay. And not EVEN when parents are the criminals, but when it's teen on teen issues.

hahahahhahahahahahahahha

Oh yeah

hahahahahhahahahahahah

To quote Taylor Swift (sorta):

It's you, Bob,
you're the problem it's you

Because thanks to you we have ended pretty much where we began. You trust us SO LITTLE that we are criminals deserving of physical assault if we take a device away during classtime....

But ALSO, if we hear of teenage wrongdoing, we are to report or jail.

It's you Bob.

You are a walking ad for the teacher shortage.

As far as I'm concerned, thread over.

I think a parent letting their child mutilate their children because they think they are in the wrong body is physical child abuse and I would report it. Parents do not have the right to abuse their children.

Oh, right, right. So we are to report your pet crimes, but not OTHER crimes.

It's up to the whim of the moment.

Which would be a crime. If when in doubt report it. The note itself is enough to report. Depending on the state she’s in, there is a set procedure to follow. The question is did she follow the procedure or did she need to notify any other agency too. It seems to me in this case she did. But I don’t know that state’s law on this.

The "set procedure to follow" pertains to child abuse. And I would never, ever disagree with that. If a child report that he/she is being abused by an adult---reported.

That's not what this thread is about.

But you want all hearsay experienced by secondary teachers to be reported to the police. Are you sure you MEAN that, or is that Moral Posturing?

Because if you mean that, don't cry when parents rights folks are up in arms about the Nanny State, Kangaroo Court situations we have on college campuses.

Or might it just be better if the schools logged the information, followed through internally, and then passed it on to parents?

Last edited:
Doing what is in the best interest of any student is far more important than any teacher covering his ass. Anyone who does not intrinsically understand this should not be a teacher.

well, I'm not even sure you're a teacher, so there's that.

Secondly if I have not made it clear: I am holding parents rights advocates to their own standards. I have never said the school should not report this. I am asking posters who want our every move documented on live cam (to the detriment of many children, btw), why they do not favor the school simply letting parents know about this.

My fellow conservatives are hypocrites on education. They want teachers to take the fall when it's convenient for them, because basically, they hate teachers. And it makes them irrational.

Forum List

Back