School Staff JAILED for Not Reporting

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
In choir class, a student passed a note to the choir teacher along the lines of, "My friend is being sexually assaulted". The teacher passed it to the guidance office and admin, who had meetings and did...nothing.

Of course, what happened to the girl is terrible and it's a shame the admin dropped the ball. BUT

Staff are now JAILED--including the teacher, who did the correct thing.

On one hand: Just do your job and teach! On the other: but oh yeah, you're responsible to report any misconduct you hear about, even if it's OFF school time and OFF school property--at threat of losing your job AND BEING JAILED.

America cannot decide what they want. Are we just teaching? Or are we raising your kids to the point of being responsible for what teenagers do on the weekends? And if we miss--we are in jail?

Who is going to do this job now? Why would they?

Cannot see any mention of these people being gaoled. I note they were re-assigned following arrest and being charged . Have you got it right ?

In choir class, a student passed a note to the choir teacher along the lines of, "My friend is being sexually assaulted". The teacher passed it to the guidance office and admin, who had meetings and did...nothing.

Of course, what happened to the girl is terrible and it's a shame the admin dropped the ball. BUT

On one hand: Just do your job and teach! On the other: but oh yeah, you're responsible to report any misconduct you hear about, even if it's OFF school time and OFF school property--at threat of losing your job AND BEING JAILED.

America cannot decide what they want. Are we just teaching? Or are we raising your kids to the point of being responsible for what teenagers do on the weekends? And if we miss--we are in jail?

Florida. The Meatball strikes again

I think it's disgusting how the Meatball slanders teachers as groomers and whatnot. The teacher did the right thing and I have no clue what the charge could be that led to the arrest. It wasn't her that dropped the ball according to the OP.

Good. They should have been more responsible.

I think it's disgusting how the Meatball slanders teachers as groomers and whatnot. The teacher did the right thing and I have no clue what the charge could be that led to the arrest. It wasn't her that dropped the ball according to the OP.

This is not a political story about the gov of the state. It is more about what we SAY we expect of teachers and school personnel and what we really expect of them...which is very close to Jesus Christ status.

None of these people actually committed the sexual crime. They didn't report it, that's it--a crime that took place off school property and off school time.

It might not be correct, even--meaning, maybe they made the wrong call. My question to the board is: this this a jailable offense?

And if it is, who goes into teaching now?

So hearing a 2nd hand report about teenagers = should have been more responsible = JAIL?

What else should people go to jail for when they "should have been more responsible"...but when they themselves did not commit the crime?

The alleged perp is related to a school staffer, perhaps that's why these five didn't report the alleged assault.

In which case 5 years ain't enough.

So hearing a 2nd hand report about teenagers = should have been more responsible = JAIL?

What else should people go to jail for when they "should have been more responsible"...but when they themselves did not commit the crime?
Literally, all they had to do was fax the letter to cops and child services and wash their hands of it, as not occurring on school property, having done their part for somebody else to investigate, but nope. They didn't do anything, but cut off the report at their level. They need to be working fast food and home cleaning industry.

You are expected to act like a responsible adult.
In many cases, teachers are the primary adult children have access to outside the family.

If a child notifies you of abuse, in school or not, it is your job to do something about it.
Not my job is not an appropriate response.

Let me tell you: MANY principals are major douchebags.

Is that a jailable offense? Is it criminal?

He altered grades and got caught. And, like I said, the allegation involves the son of a school staffer, in which case the non reporting was to benefit the STAFF, not the student.

Schools can't demand they get to determine all aspects of student life on campus, and then expect a free pass when they engage in nefarious activity.

Locally i'm seeing school admins and teachers resign, retire early , or simply find another occupation.

Google 'sanctuary state' and you'll find good reason for them to do so

~S~

You are expected to act like a responsible adult.
In many cases, teachers are the primary adult children have access to outside the family.

If a child notifies you of abuse, in school or not, it is your job to do something about it.
Not my job is not an appropriate response.

Don't tell this to me. Tell this to my fellow conservatives saying our job is this: teach the three R's and stay out of their business.

Locally i'm seeing school admins and teachers resign, retire early , or simply find another occupation.

Google 'sanctuary state' and you'll find good reason for them to do so

~S~

You get paid maybe $50K a year and if you make a misstep in one direction, jail for you. In another direction--leave the kids alone! What they do off school hours and off school time is not your business!

There is no winning here.

#1 The people aren't charged with "the crime" (sexual assault), they are being charged under Florida's mandatory reporting law which makes it a crime for mandatory reporters to NOT report a case of sexual assault involving a student.

#2 I'm a little confused though because you second link says they did report it. At 5:00PM after a morning meeting at 9:00AM. I guess they just didn't report it fast enough.

#3 Again though, I'm not condoning any actions are defending the staff, but the 2nd link kinds of indicates there are some fundamental problems with leadership in that school.

WW
1690717339305.png

This is not a political story about the gov of the state. It is more about what we SAY we expect of teachers and school personnel and what we really expect of them...which is very close to Jesus Christ status.

None of these people actually committed the sexual crime. They didn't report it, that's it--a crime that took place off school property and off school time.

It might not be correct, even--meaning, maybe they made the wrong call. My question to the board is: this this a jailable offense?

And if it is, who goes into teaching now?
But they knew about the crime off property and off time.
It definitely was not correct and it was the wrong call. They should have guidelines for what is expected of them clearly stated in their job description.
It is a criminal offense if the state of Florida made it a criminal offense. Look it up.
People that agree with the policy

Forum List

Back