Michigan School Shooter's parents James and Jennifer Crumbley get 10-15 year sentences

I wouldn't call it a slippery slide, I would call it more of a free fall into the black abyss.
What happens if the kid breaks into the gun cabinet (smashing the glass, breaking the lock, whatever)? Or steals the car keys while Mom and Dad are sleeping? They didn't "provide" the things involved at that point. This slope is very close to that black abyss you mentioned.

I support the verdicts and the sentence.
Owning a gun is a right in America. But with all 'rights' comes responsibility.
These parents were not responsible, by any measure.
I have read that Michigan recently ....I think before this incident.....passed several laws affecting firearms: enhanced background checks; if a juvenile acquires your gun and causes harm with it you are criminally liable; and if a judge determines you've beat the tar outta your wife one too many times, he can order a temporary seizure of you firearms.

In my view, all common sense measures.

Over 8 pages the views of the 2nd. amendment defenders has changed from being kneejerk for this action against the parents, to being against it. This has caused confusion in America!

Good for them. Now lets start holding the parents of every young, violent criminal accountable for their kid's crimes.

"James and Jennifer Crumbley, the first parents in America to be held criminally responsible for a school shooting by their child, were sentenced Tuesday in Oakland County Circuit Court to 10-15 years in prison each.

They were convicted by separate juries of four counts of involuntary manslaughter — one for each classmate their son murdered at Oxford High School on Nov. 30, 2021: Tate Myre, 16; Hana St. Juliana, 14; Madisyn Baldwin, 17; and Justin Shilling, 17. Each count carries a potential prison sentence of up to 15 years, though the sentences are expected to be served concurrently.

The prosecution is seeking 10- to 15-year prison sentences for each parent. Both Crumbleys, who have been jailed since their arrest Dec. 4, 2021, are asking to be sentenced to time served. Their son Ethan pleaded guilty to his crimes and is serving life in prison without parole."

James, Jennifer Crumbley to be sentenced in Oxford High killings after victim statements
The conviction was proper.
I think the punishment is excessive.
What they did was stupid but they didn't pull the trigger, they didn't tell him to pull the trigger.

I think 5 years total would have sufficient assuming they serve every day of the sentence.

This feels more like retribution than justice although they're often indistinguishable.

The conviction was proper.
I think the punishment is excessive.
What they did was stupid but they didn't pull the trigger, they didn't tell him to pull the trigger.

I think 5 years total would have sufficient assuming they serve every day of the sentence.

This feels more like retribution than justice although they're often indistinguishable.
I believe a point is being made~

I believe a point is being made~
The important point is that 2A defenders need to speak out clearly against this attempt to punish parents for the criminal acts of their children!

Biden's gang of thieves aren't going to stop until parents start to refuse to buy guns for their children who are innocent of any crime.

As with adults who kill with their guns, the children will be good kids with guns until the choose to become the bad kids with guns.

Biden and the liberals believe they can judge what children should be allowed to own guns and use them for legitimate purposes.

The important point is that 2A defenders need to speak out clearly against this attempt to punish parents for the criminal acts of their children!

Biden's gang of thieves aren't going to stop until parents start to refuse to buy guns for their children who are innocent of any crime.

As with adults who kill with their guns, the children will be good kids with guns until the choose to become the bad kids with guns.

Biden and the liberals believe they can judge what children should be allowed to own guns and use them for legitimate purposes.
You could be more wrong, but I don't know how.

What child has a legitimate use for owning a handgun?

This was not a typical family; it was not a family where the son went hunting with his father and brought home a deer.

For a very long time, the KID knew he was in a terrible mental state. He had begged for help. Read about the case. When he told them he was depressed and wanted to see a doctor, he was told to go to his room and suck it up. Either they too, were mentally ill or their ego was so grand that they refused to accept that their pride and joy needed help.

Knowing all this, having gone on for years, they bought him a handgun, and days later, he murdered FOUR kids.

Our government has worked hard to separate the parents from their children. Remember "It Takes a Village"?

President Biden had nothing to do with this law, although I do believe he is culpable for the dramatic increase in suicides among teens.

Last edited:
President Biden supported teachers' unions closing schools, increasing depression and suicides among kids.

"A spike in youth suicide attempts"
"The researchers examined the rate at which people aged 18 years and younger went to emergency rooms after attempting suicide. They analyzed a total of 11.1 million visits, looking for differences in rates before the pandemic began and two years afterward."

"They estimate the rate jumped 27% in the U.S. It rose 22%, on average, across the 18 countries studied: the U.S., Canada, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, England, Scotland, Ireland, Austria, Germany, Spain, Italy, Hungary, Serbia, Switzerland, Slovenia, Turkey, Oman and the United Arab Emirates."

That's a bridge too far. Look into the facts of the case.

These parents were either on drugs, stoned, or in total denial. The kid was asking, crying out for help long before the shooting. At one point in the testimony, the kid had asked to see a doctor because he was depressed. The kid's ol' man told him to go to his room and "suck it up." The school called the parents in for a conference because of the kid's violent drawings. The parents bought him a gun days before the shooting. No one even looked in the backpack he was carrying.

In general, I think the kids should be held responsible. In this case, the parents went out of their way to ignore a powder keg under their roof.

Times have sure changed. Parents never seemed to defend their kids when there was trouble automatically. When neighbors called my parents, they believed the neighbors. When the police brought me home in Chicago when I was 7, they actually believed the police. I chose the behavior, I chose the consequences.
Permissive Missile

It was the school's responsibility to have the whacko locked up. Those negligent authorities ought to know by now what coddling whining freaks leads to.

Yes, and think that if a parent tells a boy, "you're not a girl, even if you say you think you are," the kid should report abuse to a school counselor immediately.
Bimbos With Bows

Emasculation is the key. Boys are told they can never act the natural male role, which humiliates and depresses them. They feel all they have to live forward to is a life without pride or purpose. Hollyweird, with its many fantasy-female superheroes, reinforces the despair.

Since his parents had to sign for him to have a gun license it lays on them when he kills someone...
Just like an under age driver who buys a car....
Michigan also prohibits issuance of a handgun purchase license to any person under age 18.5 If the handgun is to be purchased from a federally licensed dealer, the applicant must be age 21 or older.6
A concealed carry permit may not be issued to a person under 21 years of age

But could be a little confusing:

Good for them. Now lets start holding the parents of every young, violent criminal accountable for their kid's crimes.
Slow your roll kiddo. These particular parents provided a minor with untreated mental illness with a weapon of mass murder.

Most parents have more sense than that.

Slow your roll kiddo. These particular parents provided a minor with untreated mental illness with a weapon of mass murder.

Yeah....there is a line. I do think that any kid who gets a gun from his home and hurts someone with it should have their parents charged. Owning a weapon responsibly mandates making sure any child has as close to zero a chance as is possible of obtaining possession.
If the gun is in a safe or locked securely away..and an inventive 14 year old breaks in, I don't think the parent should be charged..although they'll have to ask themselves just how much it was really worth owning it...if tragedy ensues~

My guns were always in the safe when I had kids at home. When my 16 year old got his deer rifle..it went in the safe as well..and I controlled it. He got it when he left home.

If a kid goes bad, I see no real reason to charge the parents unless they materially abet a crime....either through egregious neglect or knowing complicity.
then I'd throw the book at them.

I also think that 5 years would have been appropriate..OTOH 4 kids died.

Spare the Rod, and the Child Thinks He's God

The parents are psychologists, and the school counselors are useless time-servers educated by those who want children never to grow up.

White privilege on display.

Imagine the outcry if this standard was applied to a black family.

Forum List

Back