Sarah Palin For President?

The lefty crowd is afraid of Sarah Palin or they would have stopped talking about her months ago.
I believe THAT argument is putting the cart before the horse. I think when Sarah Palin stops trying to interject herself into national politics - everyone else will stop pointing out how ill-equipped she is for national politics.

Too Much Time - Even Rassmussen's numbers would be forced to admit a HUGE drop in Palin support the first time she reminds moderate republicans and independents how poorly she performs in debates, in interviews, and in campaigning on serious issues. She needs to make HUGE strides in these areas if she is to bust out of the 10% to 15% range.

Everyone remembers her performances in the 2008 election, and in these two polls her support still remains in the area of about 40% with her getting nearly as much support from independents as Clinton did. Clearly, Palin was unprepared for the presidential election in 2008, but before entering that race, she was a very popular governor and reputed to be a tough campaigner and effective debater in Alaska politics.

Give her a couple of years under the tutelage of effective political operatives like Axelrod and Plouffe, get an image makeover, write a book selling the idea that she left the governor's job because the agenda for the rest of her term was already set and she was confident her Lt. governor would do a good job of carrying it out and felt called upon to help defend the nation against Obama's reckless deficit spending, unprincipled politicizing of Americans' health care concerns, ineffective handling of America's economic problems, weakening of our national defenses and bowing and scraping to the world's tyrants and dictators, she might well be able to bring that 40% support up to 50% or more, perhaps by 2012 if Obama's approval ratings continue to fall.

In the meantime, the polls show her voice is heard among independents (41% would support her as opposed to 44% who would support Clinton), and as the recent debate over end of life counseling showed, she can dominate the debate on national issues with just a few essays on her Face book page.

Whether or not she ever decides to run for President, clearly, Palin is an effective force in American politics, not just in Republican politics

Well too much time - I guess time may tell. But I think the phrase "everyone remembers" is HIGHLY suspect. It has been my experience that people, in general, have a pretty short attention span.

And in terms of her "dominating the healthcare debate" with a couple of blogs - that is highly suspect as well. You could just as easily argue that the former NY Lt. Gov. (who actually coined the phrase "death panels") was able to "dominate the debate" with a fairly obscure little statement. The fact that Palin, Grassley, and several others picked up that ball and ran with is not exactly a sign of political clout imho.

and non-rassmussen polls aren't nearly as good for Palin:

"A solid majority of Americans don’t want to see Sarah Palin ever become president, according to the latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll.

Two-thirds, 67%, said they don’t ever want the former Alaska governor to be president, compared with the 21% who said they would.

While it should come as no surprise that 87% of Democrats said they don’t ever want Palin as commander-in-chief, some 43% of Republicans said the same thing—as well as 65% of independents.

Even 46% of self-identified conservatives said they do not want Palin as president, as well as 44% of those who voted for Arizona GOP Sen. John McCain in 2008.

At 44%, white evangelicals are the largest subgroup supporting Palin as president one day."

WSJ/NBC Poll: Would You Like to See Palin as President Someday? - Washington Wire - WSJ

BUT - I do think you've hit upon her recipe to try to turn those numbers around. But RIGHT NOW she stands at about 21% and I think reminders of her very poor performances could bring that number right in line with the 10% to 15% figures I used earlier. And the other side of the coin is also possible: With coaching and a lot of re-hab work, she might be able to do better than 21%.

Last edited:
Whether or not she ever decides to run for President, clearly, Palin is an effective force in American politics, not just in Republican politics

Effective force? Really? What has she been effective at in American politics? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, THIS time.

Sarah Palin is a liar, ala "Death Panels" accusations. Does not have the experience in the real world. She is not terribly bright nor is she well educated. Her total experience is 1/2 term as governor of an obscure state.

And even Fox new's latest poll isn't too encouraging:

"Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's personal ratings have slipped and most people think the best job for her now that she has resigned as governor is away from the world of politics.

About a third of Americans think the best job for Palin is homemaker (32 percent), while nearly one in five see her as a television talk show host (17 percent). Vice president of the United States comes in third (14 percent), followed closely by college professor (10 percent), with president coming last (6 percent).

Republicans think the best job for Palin is vice president (27 percent), followed by homemaker (18 percent), talk show host (14 percent), president (12 percent) and professor (7 percent)."

FOX News Poll: 60 Percent Disapprove of Congress - Political News - FOXNews.com

Marist Poll:
"Sarah Palin can grab voters' attention whenever she wants, but they're not ready to put her in the White House – not by a long shot.

If the 2012 presidential election were held today, and Palin was the GOP candidate, she’d get wiped out by President Obama, a new Marist poll showed Tuesday.

Only 33% of registered voters would go for Palin compared to Obama’s 56%, with 11% undecided."

Read more: Poll: GOP heavyweight Sarah Palin would lose in 2012 election against President Barack Obama

So, toomuchtime: Your claim: "In the meantime, the polls show her voice is heard among independents" should be corrected to say "ONE poll indicates her voice is heard ...."

Serious question...

Could Sarah Palin ever be a legitimate candidate as long as Tina Fey is around to mock her??

Serious question...

Could Sarah Palin ever be a legitimate candidate as long as Tina Fey is around to mock her??

Yes. I think SNL particularly has had some pretty funny satires of many politicians. I don't think any of them are any worse for the "wear." I think the politician's response to that satire can be a lot more damaging (or endearing).

Sarah will fall on her own imperfections and lack of merit. Tina Fey will make money through her impersonation of "That Wierd Girl", but that will not have much to do with Sarah's impending implosion.

Well too much time - I guess time may tell. But I think the phrase "everyone remembers" is HIGHLY suspect. It has been my experience that people, in general, have a pretty short attention span.

And in terms of her "dominating the healthcare debate" with a couple of blogs - that is highly suspect as well. You could just as easily argue that the former NY Lt. Gov. (who actually coined the phrase "death panels") was able to "dominate the debate" with a fairly obscure little statement. The fact that Palin, Grassley, and several others picked up that ball and ran with is not exactly a sign of political clout imho.

"A solid majority of Americans don’t want to see Sarah Palin ever become president, according to the latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll.

Two-thirds, 67%, said they don’t ever want the former Alaska governor to be president, compared with the 21% who said they would.

While it should come as no surprise that 87% of Democrats said they don’t ever want Palin as commander-in-chief, some 43% of Republicans said the same thing—as well as 65% of independents.

Even 46% of self-identified conservatives said they do not want Palin as president, as well as 44% of those who voted for Arizona GOP Sen. John McCain in 2008.

At 44%, white evangelicals are the largest subgroup supporting Palin as president one day."

WSJ/NBC Poll: Would You Like to See Palin as President Someday? - Washington Wire - WSJ

BUT - I do think you've hit upon her recipe to try to turn those numbers around. But RIGHT NOW she stands at about 21% and I think reminders of her very poor performances could bring that number right in line with the 10% to 15% figures I used earlier. And the other side of the coin is also possible: With coaching and a lot of re-hab work, she might be able to do better than 21%.

It was Palin's use of the term "death panels" that got the media's attention and that was what led the Dem leaders feel they must endlessly berate her for her statement. She may not have created the term, but her use of it did create the furor over it. By showering so much attention on Palin's use of the term, Dems caused more people to consider it and may have even given it a certain validity in the minds of some, just as the attacks on Palin, in general, keep her in people's minds and the statements about what a terrible president or vp she might have made cause people to consider her in those roles more than they might otherwise. What is talked about in a campaign can sometimes be more important than what is said about it.

Asking if you want Palin to be president is a very different question from asking if you would rather have Palin or Clinton as president or Palin or Obama as president. However, even in the poll you cited, 35% of independents would like to see Palin as President and in a match up with Clinton, 41% of independents would. If after being battered in the 2008 elections and being roundly criticized for quitting her job as governor and being viciously attacked on a regular basis by Dems Palin still has the support of 35% to 41% of independent voters, it is not far fetched to think that with a couple of years of effective preparation and a well funded campaign she could bring support among independents up to 50% or more, and that might just be enough to send her to the WH. But, again, even if she never runs for president, the fact that a large percentage of independent voters take her seriously as a presidential candidate means she can be an effective force on policy issues, such as health insurance and energy, and can help Republican candidates at the state and national levels raise money and win elections.

It was Palin's use of the term "death panels" that got the media's attention and that was what led the Dem leaders feel they must endlessly berate her for her statement. She may not have created the term, but her use of it did create the furor over it. By showering so much attention on Palin's use of the term, Dems caused more people to consider it and may have even given it a certain validity in the minds of some, just as the attacks on Palin, in general, keep her in people's minds and the statements about what a terrible president or vp she might have made cause people to consider her in those roles more than they might otherwise. What is talked about in a campaign can sometimes be more important than what is said about it.

Asking if you want Palin to be president is a very different question from asking if you would rather have Palin or Clinton as president or Palin or Obama as president. However, even in the poll you cited, 35% of independents would like to see Palin as President and in a match up with Clinton, 41% of independents would. If after being battered in the 2008 elections and being roundly criticized for quitting her job as governor and being viciously attacked on a regular basis by Dems Palin still has the support of 35% to 41% of independent voters, it is not far fetched to think that with a couple of years of effective preparation and a well funded campaign she could bring support among independents up to 50% or more, and that might just be enough to send her to the WH. But, again, even if she never runs for president, the fact that a large percentage of independent voters take her seriously as a presidential candidate means she can be an effective force on policy issues, such as health insurance and energy, and can help Republican candidates at the state and national levels raise money and win elections.

1) Most of the polls I cited were done before she quit as Gov. and before the "death panel" issue. The polls done AFTER those events showed her dropping even more.
2) I think characterizing the response to Palin's "death Panel" folly as her being "endlessly berated" is extremely misleading. It would be just as easy to describe it as her reaping the consequences of putting her foot in her mouth. The polls I cited in 1 tend to support THIS interpretation rather than yours, but BOTH are very subjective.
3) Same for the "viciously attacked" characterization. Listen again to her convention speech. She viciously attacked her opponentds and bragged about it. But when folks called her on it, the "pit bull with lipstick" turning into a whining toddler. She picked a fight with the big dogs - she got bit.
4) 21% say they want her to be president in one poll - spin that as you like - it doesn't look good.

Like I said - Palin is virtually bullet-proof to her base. Trying to weave that into something that resembles any sort of mainstream credibility just doesn't work.

Last edited:
Romney will never appeal to the modern day "base" of the GOP. They cannot get past the fact that he is a Mormon and will never put him on the GOP ticket. If they would, McCain would not have been chosen in 2008.

Bingo!

Ya nailed yank.

The Bushie sort of so called Christian will never vote for a Mormom.

Proving that Romney is not very smart himself. Because he should know that it's pretty obvious to anybody that knows anything about religions.

Most right wingers aren't aware of what words in the bible really mean. For instance nothing really wrong with the Mormom faith. However they know that the words God and Lord in the English bible are just generic terms for a man who is to be respected. Men are also called Gods in the bible. Thus the Mormoms having a bit better knowledge about biblical translations than does the typical evangelical, baptist of Catholic use the word God as it was interpreted in the original Aramaic.

They say that if a man strives to follow the path of God himself and does not part from it he himself can become a God.

Woohoo!.......................Fireworks!.............................watch out as the evangelicals throw shoes at their TV's when they hear this.

That will never fly. Romney can try to down play it but whomever his challenger is will just put up commercials reminding people that Romney thinks he can be a God.

And the Mormoms have that whole Joseph Smith and the tablets of Gold , book of Mormom they follow. For mainstream US fundies that is blasphemy as they believe the bible is the only true word of God . It's finished and there are no other words anywhere that are acceptable.

Nope . Romney cannot get the majority of the right wing base of the Republicans to vote for him. If he was really that smart ( I am pretty sure he is not that smart) because if he was he wouldn't waste his money even running.

Last edited:
Only 14% of Republicans think the best job for Palin is the presidency. When all American's are included that number drops to 6%.

The notion that Palin has been viciously attacked or berated by the media is pure fantasy imho. If you try to interject yourself into national politics, people have every right to respond. And the truth of the matter is that EVERYTIME she tries to interject herself, her approval numbers drop. She was a pretty popular governor, but when she jumped into the national scene - her numbers plumetted. After every public appearance, (everything EXCEPT her SNL showing), every interview, every debate .... her numbers dropped more. Quit as governor - numbers dropped again. Perpetuating the "death panel" argument - numbers drop lower.

If she is to really rebound into a real national player (rather than just a Coulter-esque cheerleader) it's going to take hard work. And part of that has to include an honest appraisal of where she is at and where she needs to go. Trying to create an illusion of influence where there really is none - doesn't help.

Just my humble opinions

Last edited:
Marist Poll:
"Sarah Palin can grab voters' attention whenever she wants, but they're not ready to put her in the White House – not by a long shot.

If the 2012 presidential election were held today, and Palin was the GOP candidate, she’d get wiped out by President Obama, a new Marist poll showed Tuesday.

Only 33% of registered voters would go for Palin compared to Obama’s 56%, with 11% undecided."

Read more: Poll: GOP heavyweight Sarah Palin would lose in 2012 election against President Barack Obama

So, toomuchtime: Your claim: "In the meantime, the polls show her voice is heard among independents" should be corrected to say "ONE poll indicates her voice is heard ...."

In fact, all the three polls show she is favored by 33% to 41% of independents for president, and likely many who don't want to see her in the WH are still interested in what she thinks about issues such as health insurance or energy. That makes her a force in American politics outside of the Republican Party, and to the extent she can influence opinion among independents, she can limit the ability of Dems to use their majorities in Congress to force through controversial bills such as HR 3200 without bipartisan support.

Would 33% of independents want to see Joe Biden in the WH? Harry Reid? Nancy Pelosi? Barney Frank? Chris Dodd? Arguably, Palin's opinion carries more weight among independents than most Dem leaders.

Is Tina Fey the Left's only hope to stop Sarah Palin?

Why are you worried who wants to stop the neo con eskimo?

Dems sent their best dirt diggers to Alaska and came back holding only their shrunken nut sacks, so I have no worries.

That's why the Left is reduced to ridicule when it comes to Palin and it's pretty funny to watch supposedly grown Librul "men" get penis envy when having to deal with Sarah

Forum List

Back