Sarah Palin For President?

I used to be a Republican. For a entire 13 years. Does that count?

Anyhoo, to answer the question. It would be like a great big gift wrapped present with a giant bow on it is the Republicans would prove stupid enough to run Sarah Palin the successionist air head, mitt romney the Mormom, and Newt Gingrich/ adulator, liar in the next primary. Let us hope the Republicans are stupid enough to run one of the three, and I believe they are. Bobby Jindal would do just as well I think he is a real hypocritical winner should fit right in with the Republicans.

Now some guy like Bill O'Rielly or that crazy ego maniac Sean Hannity might really have a chance to run and win. They have fanatical support from their right wing audience.

It would be like a gift to the Democrats if the republicans ran any of these people.

Oh, by the way don't tell anybody , but I left the Republican party when that liar Reagan was in office. Been a independent ever since.

I agree Peach..

Palin would be a godsend to the Democrats and to Tina Fey.

Romney could appeal to the moderate voters if the right wing would leave him alone, unfortunately they will force their agenda down his throat

Jeb Bush is probably the best Republican candidate out there.............but he has one little problem

Ron Paul? Next

Jindal? Exorcism videos will play full time

Point is, there is nobody out there with the exception of Palin, who can draw significant campaign contributions.

The Democratic Party hacks will continue to exploit the clearly demonstrated fact that Sarah is a non-finisher with no real stomach. She did not appeal to voters outside of the v ery narrow grouping of rightwingers, and has done nothing to expand her charm. The GOP cannot win on that.

The Democratic Party hacks will continue to exploit the clearly demonstrated fact that Sarah is a non-finisher with no real stomach. She did not appeal to voters outside of the v ery narrow grouping of rightwingers, and has done nothing to expand her charm. The GOP cannot win on that.

Then why does everything she says or does continue to throw Dems into a panic? If no one but a very narrow grouping of right wingers is paying attention to what she says, then why worry about her criticisms of Obamacare?

I don't think running point on the death panel scam helped her expand her base. she'd be a solid 10% to 15% because she is virtually bullet-proof (baring an extra-marital affair) with that group. And having a very solid base like that can be a very good starting point. The question is (imho) can she build and expand that? So far, I don't think she has demonstrated any real ability to do that.

Right winger sounds like your a practical person with a good grasp on reality.

I agree with your assessments 100%

But it's all hyperbole. 2012 is a long way away.

I really have a hard time believing the Republicans are stupid enough to try to run with any of the above. I imagine some moderate , reasonable Republican will turn up by then.

Romney will never appeal to the modern day "base" of the GOP. They cannot get past the fact that he is a Mormon and will never put him on the GOP ticket. If they would, McCain would not have been chosen in 2008.

I don't think running point on the death panel scam helped her expand her base. she'd be a solid 10% to 15% because she is virtually bullet-proof (baring an extra-marital affair) with that group. And having a very solid base like that can be a very good starting point. The question is (imho) can she build and expand that? So far, I don't think she has demonstrated any real ability to do that.

I doubt Palin will be elected president, but as a spokesperson on issues, her appeal is much broader than you seem to think.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009
If America elects a woman president soon, right now her name appears to be Hillary Clinton.

In a hypothetical match-up between the two most formidable female candidates in their respective parties, Clinton defeats former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin 51% to 39%, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of likely U.S. voters. Seven percent (7%) prefer some other candidate.

Clinton performs better against Palin than President Obama who in a hypothetical 2012 match-up beats last year’s GOP vice presidential nominee by just six points, 48% to 42%.

Women overwhelmingly favor Clinton over Palin, 59% to 32%. Men favor the GOP ex-governor by eight points, 48% to 40%.

Palin gets 71% of the Republican vote, while Clinton captures 81% of Democrats. Voters not affiliated with either party break down almost evenly between the two candidates, giving Clinton a slight 44% to 41% edge.

Clinton 51%, Palin 39% - Rasmussen Reports™

Romney will never appeal to the modern day "base" of the GOP. They cannot get past the fact that he is a Mormon and will never put him on the GOP ticket. If they would, McCain would not have been chosen in 2008.

I don't know yank. I guess that hinges on which element within the GOP winds up on top. The far-right will vote GOP anyway (even if they have to hold their nose to do it) because THEY THINK the other option is a commie, terrorist paling around with, granny-killing muslim, who isn't even an American citizen.

McCain of 2000 could have held that base (however reluctantly) and appealed to lots of moderates as well. McCain 2008 tossed out the moderates to pander to people who were going to vote for him anyway.

The far right - for the same reasons I mentioned above - will probably vote GOP anyway again. If Romney can hold the center, I think he could be an effective candidate.

I don't know yank. I guess that hinges on which element within the GOP winds up on top. The far-right will vote GOP anyway (even if they have to hold their nose to do it) because THEY THINK the other option is a commie, terrorist paling around with, granny-killing muslim, who isn't even an American citizen.

McCain of 2000 could have held that base (however reluctantly) and appealed to lots of moderates as well. McCain 2008 tossed out the moderates to pander to people who were going to vote for him anyway.

The far right - for the same reasons I mentioned above - will probably vote GOP anyway again. If Romney can hold the center, I think he could be an effective candidate.

In fact,

If the 2012 presidential election were held today [July 20], President Obama and possible Republican nominee Mitt Romney would be all tied up at 45% each, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

2012 Match-ups: Obama, Romney Tied at 45%; Obama 48%, Palin 42% - Rasmussen Reports™

Too Much Time - Even Rassmussen's numbers would be forced to admit a HUGE drop in Palin support the first time she reminds moderate republicans and independents how poorly she performs in debates, in interviews, and in campaigning on serious issues. She needs to make HUGE strides in these areas if she is to bust out of the 10% to 15% range.

If Romney can hold the center, I think he could be an effective candidate.

Nodog, here is my premise. Knowing that our economy was hurting, and knowing that economics were Romney's strong point, while at the same time knowing economics was McCain's weakness, why did the GOP put McCain on the ticket? Don't you remember the "it's the economy, stupid" bumper stickers back then?

If the 2012 presidential election were held today [July 20], President Obama and possible Republican nominee Mitt Romney would be all tied up at 45% each, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

I'm surprised Obama did THAT well - with the economy STILL wallowing, with troops still in both Iraq and Afghanistan ......

If the economy picks up by Aug. or Sept. 2012 (by that I mean unemployment at 7% or less and the Dow at 10,500 or better) and if we've got troops out of Iraq, I think you'll see Obama's numbers soar to the point that I don't think ANYONE will touch him.

But if uneployment is at 8 to 8.5%, the dow is below 9,800 or so and if we're still dicking around in Iraq - then even a Ron Paul would stand a real chance. A stronger GOP candidate might just cruise into the White House.

Last edited:
If Romney can hold the center, I think he could be an effective candidate.

Nodog, here is my premise. Knowing that our economy was hurting, and knowing that economics were Romney's strong point, while at the same time knowing economics was McCain's weakness, why did the GOP put McCain on the ticket? Don't you remember the "it's the economy, stupid" bumper stickers back then?

Because I don't think people really envisioned the economy to be in such a crisis until a lot of the primary process was over or at least too far involved. I think they backed McCain because they remembered the 2000 bi-partisan statesman who really was more committed to country than party. But by 2008 those things started to ring hollow with his shift to Bush lapdog status (re-enforced btw - by his vice presidential pick) The economy was just the last nail in his coffin - imho.

I might be wrong (Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time :razz:) but I think the far right COULD hold their nose and vote for Romney in a general. Can he attract enough of the base and bring in enough moderates to get through the primaries? VERY good question. But to me, the primaries would prove tougher for Romney than the general.

Forum List

Back