Russell Wilson Benched

The Denver Broncos are benching Russell Wilson for the last two games of the season.

Wilson went from a probable hall of famer to a guy who’s getting benched for a mediocre back up. He’s being made the scape goat for a bad team.

I don’t know how Wilson can remain with the Broncos now.
It's about money.

It's about money.
I don’t think it’s about money. I think Sean Payton came into Denver with a hardon against Wilson. He came in looking to get rid of him, but there was no option. Supposedly he recruited free agent QB’s saying that they will get a chance to start as he’s not a Wilson fan.

I don’t think it’s about money. I think Sean Payton came into Denver with a hardon against Wilson. He came in looking to get rid of him, but there was no option. Supposedly he recruited free agent QB’s saying that they will get a chance to start as he’s not a Wilson fan.

Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson is unsure what the future holds for him after getting benched this week. But he told reporters on Friday afternoon that he hopes he remains in the Mile High City.

“I hope that it’s here for a long time. I hope to win more (trophies) in the front hall (at Centura Health Training Center) and get some more championships. If it’s not here, then I’m prepared to do that somewhere else,” Wilson said. “But I hope that it’s here, and I genuinely mean that. … I brought my family here.”

Wilson said he was surprised and disappointed about head coach Sean Payton’s decision to move forward with Jarrett Stidham as the starting quarterback for the final two games.

He believed the team had something special going, even after losing two in a row to drop to 7-8.

“We had some tough games, but we still got a chance,” he added. “But at the end of the day, I’m going to keep putting my best foot forward every day and being professional.”

Wilson also told reporters on Friday that the team approached him during the Broncos’ bye week, telling him that if he didn’t alter his contract guarantee for 2025, he’d be benched for the team’s final nine games.

It’s about contracts and money with the NFL Players Association because they think this kind of stuff will effect other players in the future if Wilson caves in now.

Of course it's about money. Wilson isnt nearly as good as his contract. Denver made a business decision to cut ties with him before they give a QB who's not worth what they are paying him more money. If Denver doesnt cut him this year the consequences only get worse for them. The extension they signed him to hasnt even started. If Denver doesnt cut him this year the consequences only get worse for them. Next year STARTS his 5 year extension and they would be stuck with him at least until 2025 and then incur a huge cap hit anyway. They decided to take their medicine now. It was the smart move.

Had Wilson stayed in Seattle he's likely a 1st ballot HOFer. Carroll covered up most of his flaws.

Of course it's about money. Wilson isnt nearly as good as his contract. Denver made a business decision to cut ties with him before they give a QB who's not worth what they are paying him more money. If Denver doesnt cut him this year the consequences only get worse for them. The extension they signed him to hasnt even started. If Denver doesnt cut him this year the consequences only get worse for them. Next year STARTS his 5 year extension and they would be stuck with him at least until 2025 and then incur a huge cap hit anyway. They decided to take their medicine now. It was the smart move.

Had Wilson stayed in Seattle he's likely a 1st ballot HOFer. Carroll covered up most of his flaws.
He's in decline. When he could run he was more effective.

He’s actually running too much at the moment. It’s why Payton has been so pissed at him. He’s “sensing pressure“ when it‘s not there, scrambling and then missing open receivers because of it. He’s definitely not worth what the former owners of the Broncos paid him.

He’s actually running too much at the moment. It’s why Payton has been so pissed at him. He’s “sensing pressure“ when it‘s not there, scrambling and then missing open receivers because of it. He’s definitely not worth what the former owners of the Broncos paid him.
Agree. He's slowing down.

It’s not about the money with Wilson.

Yes, Denver was dumb with wording of that contract extension which kicks in, in 2024 or 25.

Carroll didn’t simply cover his flaws, he took advantage of his strengths. That’s what good coaches do. That’s what Sean Payton is refusing to do. Even Tom Brady would fail if he was forced to do things he can’t do.

It’s not about the money with Wilson.

Yes, Denver was dumb with wording of that contract extension which kicks in, in 2024 or 25.

Carroll didn’t simply cover his flaws, he took advantage of his strengths. That’s what good coaches do. That’s what Sean Payton is refusing to do. Even Tom Brady would fail if he was forced to do things he can’t do.
No they are paying him almost twice what he’s worth, and that’s only going to become more the case as he continues to decline and then new contract kicks in. He’s going to get almost 50 million a year for the next 5 years. That’s 5th compared to all QB contracts. Is he the 5th best qb in the NFL? Is he even close to that? He will make more per year than

Mahomes
Allen
Goff
Stafford
Prescott

Is he better than those QBs? That’s why Denver wants rid of him.
Why do you think Carroll off loaded him? He knew.

He still runs quite well.

Sean Payton came into Denver with a hardon against Wilson. That seemed obvious from the beginning.
Sean Payton knew he wasn’t good enough anymore. He knew he was going to be saddled with an old qb in decline who duped the last owners into signing a contract for a qb in his prime.

Sean Payton knew he wasn’t good enough anymore. He knew he was going to be saddled with an old qb in decline who duped the last owners into signing a contract for a qb in his prime.
Wilson has played will. He has almost 30 TD passes and something like 7 or 8 interceptions. That’s pretty good for having average receivers and a very poor offensive line.

The Broncos have 8 rushing TD’s. 7 of those are Wilson TD’s.

Wilson may not be as fast as he was ten years ago, but he’s still the best deep ball thrower in the NFL.

His current coach came to Denver with a personal grudge against Wilson. He let that grudge get out of control.

Wilson has played will. He has almost 30 TD passes and something like 7 or 8 interceptions. That’s pretty good for having average receivers and a very poor offensive line.

The Broncos have 8 rushing TD’s. 7 of those are Wilson TD’s.

Wilson may not be as fast as he was ten years ago, but he’s still the best deep ball thrower in the NFL.

His current coach came to Denver with a personal grudge against Wilson. He let that grudge get out of control.
Did you read what you wrote? He’s played decent. If he were being paid decent that might be ok. He’s being paid like he’s exceptional. Do you think he’s going to get better over the next 5 years? He has Sutton and Jeudy better receivers than Mahomes, Jackson, Lawrence, Stroud. They play in a division with 1 for sure generational talent in Mahomes and potentially a generational talent in Herbert. The AFC is loaded with QB talent. Allen, Lawrence, Stroud, Tua, Jackson, Burrow…. He might be the worst of that group. The Broncos can’t afford to spend 22% of their cap on decent. He‘s at best 8th or 9th in the conference.

Did you read what you wrote? He’s played decent. If he were being paid decent that might be ok. He’s being paid like he’s exceptional. Do you think he’s going to get better over the next 5 years? He has Sutton and Jeudy better receivers than Mahomes, Jackson, Lawrence, Stroud. They play in a division with 1 for sure generational talent in Mahomes and potentially a generational talent in Herbert. The AFC is loaded with QB talent. Allen, Lawrence, Stroud, Tua, Jackson, Burrow…. He might be the worst of that group. The Broncos can’t afford to spend 22% of their cap on decent. He‘s at best 8th or 9th in the conference.
He’s played better than just decent.

Sutton is a decent receiver. He’s nothing special. Jeudy is not a top tier guy. He’s lazy and loafs around if he’s not the primary receiver. Denver’s more than likely to let him go elsewhere.

They have no running game at all. Opposing defense’s can pretty much disregard their ground game. Wilson has pretty much been their only offensive threat.

Allen, Stroud and Lawrence aren’t exactly testing it up. They’ve had their moments though.

Wilson is still a credible threat on every play. Denver is not going find anyone who’s anything close to being an upgrade.

SeasonTeamGCMPATTCMP%YDSY/ATDINTSKLOSTNETNY/AFUMQBR
2023DEN1529744766.4%30706.92684525828125.71098

Last edited:
I noted he played good-better 2nd half of 2023. After Sean Peyton demanded it. But they don't want to commit longer terns on an used up old guy.//

I noted he played good-better 2nd half of 2023. After Sean Peyton demanded it. But they don't want to commit longer terns on an used up old guy.//
Payton is overrated as a coach. He has a personal grudge against Wilson for whatever reason and wanted to replace him even before he took the job

Wilson played well early. Even in the game their defense gave up 70 points o the Dolphins.

Wilson isn’t a “washed up old guy.” They’ve already committed to him for signing him to a 5 year extension to his existing contract.

Payton has completely screwed the pooch in the way he’s handled this situation.

Last edited:
He’s played better than just decent.

Sutton is a decent receiver. He’s nothing special. Jeudy is not a top tier guy. He’s lazy and loafs around if he’s not the primary receiver. Denver’s more than likely to let him go elsewhere.

They have no running game at all. Opposing defense’s can pretty much disregard their ground game. Wilson has pretty much been their only offensive threat.

Allen, Stroud and Lawrence aren’t exactly testing it up. They’ve had their moments though.

Wilson is still a credible threat on every play. Denver is not going find anyone who’s anything close to being an upgrade.

SeasonTeamGCMPATTCMP%YDSY/ATDINTSKLOSTNETNY/AFUMQBR
2023DEN1529744766.4%30706.92684525828125.71098
He’s paid like a top tier QB but not playing like one. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Stroud was leading the league as a rookie until he got hurt dum dum.

Look if Denver is wrong then some team is going to make out, but I find it hard to believe that Carroll and Payton 2 veteran well respected SB winning coaches know less than you, with regard to evaluating QB talent.

Forum List

Back