Retailers closed down over 4,600 stores in 2023, with more to come in 2024

I envision thousands of government owned stores all along the fruited plain. They will look like the most decrepit worn-down buildings in a dystopian society.

Maybe some more should close. Around my area there are 5 Target, 4 CVS (+2 in Target) and 4 WalMart stores all within 5 miles of each other.

Is this progress?

Online purchases account for much of this, but is it good?
I love Amazon and other online stores. Makes shopping easy and fast, free home delivery, hassle-free returns, fair prices, incredible variety. What's not to like? I still do some shopping at local stores and building centers, however.

I love Amazon and other online stores. Makes shopping easy and fast, free home delivery, hassle-free returns, fair prices, incredible variety. What's not to like? I still do some shopping at local stores and building centers, however.

Brick and mortar is almost dead. I hate that I buy from Amazon. But same day free delivery?

Absolutely amazing supply chain.

Malls from coast to coast have been closing for the last decade or so due to Amazon and the rest. Not good.

Before that, it was Wal Mart putting all kinds of local businesses out of business.

It's free enterprise, but it comes at a cost, and we need to decide what's best. Pretty damn soon.
That decision has been made. It's efficiency above everything else. I was a retail meat cutter for many years. We did everything right in the store's meat department. Today low skilled immigrant labor does most of the work we used to do. Each is taught a few cuts then down the line the meat goes for another few unskilled processing cuts. Efficiency has taken all the skill and satisfaction out of the trade.

Brick and mortar is almost dead. I hate that I buy from Amazon. But same day free delivery?

Absolutely amazing supply chain.
Amazon, a nearly perfect business model, and actually just an updated version of the old Sears & Roebuck mail order catalog sales.

Amazon, a nearly perfect business model, and actually just an updated version of the old Sears & Roebuck mail order catalog sales.
Amazon loses money on retail. All their profit comes from AWS which funds their destruction of retail. I’m all for market forces but in this case unlike Walmart which makes a profit on retail Amazon is predatory. I’d suggest the government split the two parts of Amazon but I have no idea if that is legal.

Disclosure: I hate Amazon and the wife loves them.

Forum List

Back