Repeal of the ACA will be impossible - you need 2/3's vote

With 60 votes in the Senate.

Not quite true.

Or at least not true enough.

In FACT, the bill passed (regardless of how many votes it got in the Senate) AND THEN there was an IMMEDIATE second vote for a RECONCILIATION ACT.

It took two bills to cram the bullshit through.

It will not need 60 votes to repeal it.

It will require just 51. Or 50 plus the future Vice President's tie breaker.

Sorry but both Romney and Obama support the individual mandate. You'll need to override their veto.

FAIL!

Via POLITICO's Ginger Gibson, Mitt Romney delivered a no-questions statement on the health care ruling in front of a beautiful Washington backdrop, comments in which he, as expected, said he will repeal the law:

“As you might imagine I disagree with the Supreme Court decision and I agree with the dissent,” he said. "Obamacare was bad policy yesterday, it's bad policy today."

He called for “replacing” the current law, saying now he is the only option for repeal.

“If we want to replace Obamacare, we have to replace Obama,” he said.

This is the frame, along it being upheld under the taxation clause, that Republicans will use going forward. It also gives Romney a point by which he is articulating something he would do once in office, as the narrative that he is loathe to give detailed policy prescriptions is taking firm hold. The question then beomes what he would replace it with.

To that end, Romney offered up some points, although he didn't explain how the insurance reforms take place while spending no money, and without a mandate:

He outlined a number of elements the thinks should remain, like requiring the coverage of people with pre-existing conditions and allowing people to keep the insurance they currently hold.

"We've got to make sure that those with pre-existing conditions know they will be insured," he said.

He added that his reforms would lower the cost of health insurance, saying that it something Obamacare doesn't do.

Romneycare for ALL! Already a great success- none of the horrors Pubs are fear mongering...70% approval, 2% annual cost rises...

Well, like the rest of the country except Pub dupes, I'm confused about how many Senate votes it would take to repeal health reform, but here's what's in the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Bill- I don't see how Pubs would endear themselves repealing that...

Amending the Senate's Healthcare Bill
The Reconciliation bill makes several changes to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that was signed into law on March 23, 2010. These changes include the following,[18]

Increasing the tax credits to buy insurance
Eliminates several of the special deals given to senators, such as Ben Nelson's "Cornhusker Kickback"
Lowers the penalty for not buying insurance from $750 to $695
Closes the Medicare Part D "donut hole" by 2020 and gives seniors a rebate of $250.
Delays the implementation on taxing "Cadillac health-care plans" until 2018
Requires doctors who treat Medicare patients be reimbursed at the full rate
Sets up a medicare tax on the unearned incomes of families that earn more than $250,000 annually.
Offer more generous subsidies to lower income groups. Households below 150% of the federal poverty level would pay 2% to 4% of their income on premiums. Health plans would cover 94% of the cost of benefits.[19] Households with incomes from 150% to 400% of the federal poverty level ($88,200 for a family of four) would pay on a sliding scale from 4% to 9.8% of their income on premiums, rest will be covered by government advanceable, refundable tax credit. Health plans would cover 70% of the cost of the benefits.[19][20]
In 2014, if a company with more than 50 workers does not offer coverage, they will be obligated to pay $2,000 for each full time worker in the company, exempting the money due for the first 30 employees. For example, an employer with 53 workers will pay the penalty for 23 workers, or $46,000.[19]
Would increase Medicaid payment rates to primary care doctors to match Medicare payment rates, which are higher, in 2013 and 2014.[19]
The federal government would pay all of the costs of expanding Medicaid under the reform until 2016, 95% in 2017, 94% in 2018, 93% in 2019, and 90% thereafter. Some states that already insure childless adults under Medicaid would receive more federal money for covering that group through 2018.
The Medicare patients will receive 50% discount on brand-name drugs would begin in 2011. By 2020, the government would pay to provide up to 75% discount on brand-name and generic drugs, eventually closing the coverage gap.[19]
Would extend the ban on lifetime limits and rescission of coverage to all existing health plans within six months after signing into Law.

Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, it's a lie since it was passed through reconciliation. The same process can be used to repeal it.

The ACA wasn't passed using reconciliation; it received 60 votes to break a filibuster and pass out of the Senate in 2009. Certain budget-related aspects of it were amended by a reconciliation bill (Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010) but those kinds of budget-related edits are the only thing you can do with reconciliation.

So Republicans could try to reduce the mandate penalty to $0 using reconciliation, but they wouldn't be able to overturn the insurance rules or unwind the exchanges, etc.

What do you know about Executive Orders? Romney can just sign an executive order to ignore Obamacare like Obama does to laws he doesn't agree with.

I still get a kick of the 26 Adults being on their PARANTS insurance is something these people are Crowing about..

I mean REALLY, how many parents can AFFORD or want to pay for their adult kids insurance?

You miss the point of this provision. Single mothers with 5 or 6 kids, all with different names can keep them on her FREE medicaid policy until they get out of prison and are on parole.

I'm really amazed at the people just falling all over this Government reach over us on our health care..

I guess the Transformation is compete

i find it amazing that you claim over reach but when a state government want to make it so you have to have a vaginal probe before an abortion its state rights.

I find it amazing you complain about that, are ok with the abortion probe and not ok with NY banning large drinks.

You have holes in your argument that are larger than our debt.

I'm really amazed at the people just falling all over this Government reach over us on our health care..

I guess the Transformation is compete

i find it amazing that you claim over reach but when a state government want to make it so you have to have a vaginal probe before an abortion its state rights.

I find it amazing you complain about that, are ok with the abortion probe and not ok with NY banning large drinks.

You have holes in your argument that are larger than our debt.

I think every pregnant woman should have a vaginal probe before having an abortion while drinking a banned drink in New York.

Nobody owned anybody.

RDD was trollish and that boring crap wears thin from time to time. That's all.

Pat yourselves on the back after an actual win on the merits.

That's bound to happen some day.

In theory.

Why does the right wing think they will be able to repeal the ACA?

Both Romney and Obama support the individual mandate. So no matter who wins, you'll need a 2/3 vote in both houses to override their veto.

In fact, I don't see why the thing is even such a big issue, considering both major candidates support it.

Republicans need to go back and read the Constitution again.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/161839-constitutional-lesson-for-gop-leader-eric-cantor.html

Why does the right wing think they will be able to repeal the ACA?

Both Romney and Obama support the individual mandate. So no matter who wins, you'll need a 2/3 vote in both houses to override their veto.

In fact, I don't see why the thing is even such a big issue, considering both major candidates support it.

Republicans need to go back and read the Constitution again.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/161839-constitutional-lesson-for-gop-leader-eric-cantor.html

You cite to the one of biggest losers lib fraud in the history of dishonest political discourse.

Application rejected. What he doesn't grasp about the Constitution is

essentially everything.

Pub dupes! What do you have against controlling costs, covering everyone, and finally ending the #1 worry of Americans? Romneycare works GREAT, and ACA is the same gd thing...absolute brainwashed hater idiocy.

HOW to repeal the bullshit ObamaTax:

Vote out the incumbent.

Retain the House GOP majority.

Add enough Republicans to the Senate (by removing enought liberal Democrtics) to leave the Senate in GOP control.

Draft a bill that says, in sum and substance, ObamaTax is hereby REPEALED.

Vote on it.

President Romney then signs it.

Done.

You got to love the Democrats NEW word

Freeloaders

So that is why we need the Government to come after your ass..
Yep. The talking point went out last thursday.

Freeloader: Someone who does not wish to be forced onto a government healthcare plan or be forced to buy health insurance.

Since when did being independant mean... being dependant?

Fucking Orwellian Double Think

I'm amazed at all the sheep that is now spewing freeloader

sheep? you couldnt even answer RDD about your taxes and just blindly accepted the fact it was going up....

its amazing how you get called out on your bullshit and it doesnt phase you. You fucks just keep on pushing the same talking points regardless.

America needs to expel you like the bad case of herpes you are.

Of course the OBamacare can be repealed. The first thing Romney has said he will do is repeal the Healthcare. Unlike Obama, I think Romney is a man of his word. The Obamacare will destroy our livelyhoods and freedoms, and I can't believe anyone would want it.

Of course the OBamacare can be repealed. The first thing Romney has said he will do is repeal the Healthcare. Unlike Obama, I think Romney is a man of his word. The Obamacare will destroy our livelyhoods and freedoms, and I can't believe anyone would want it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyp2QIGejq4&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL167AE70FD01EC38C]Mitt Romney Flip Flops | Mitt Romney abortion | Mitt Romney global warming | Mitt Romney Obamacare - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back