Offensive TV ads

I still have not figured out why the med community has to have 2 words for every part of your body

I can definitely relate. I still dont understand why they just cant say "heart" instead of "cardiac". It's a whole different language ("stoma" means mouth... why the hell didnt they give that word to the stomach?!). I've had hours of studying and bottles of aspirin from the headaches I received trying to learn that terminology.

It all boils back to the main point: NO job is easy and none of us could survive without someone else's profession, whether they think it above or below their own.

(if that makes sense... DAYAM that Captain Morgan!)

Originally posted by wonderwench
RWA,

I disagree. Being a good secretary can be an extremely demanding job. Early in my career, I was an admin assistant for a year while going to night school for my MBA. I had a team of managers that I had to juggle, and it was not easy. I've also had one excellent AA who reported to me for a few years - I trusted her so much she was like an extension of myself. She handled a great many issues on her own and freed me up to focus on other priorities.

Once again, I'm not saying anything bad about assistants. I'm not saying there aren't good ones and bad ones. But why aren't you still one then? Didn't you want to move on to being a position of greater decision making and control? Why? Because you've internalized a false stereotype that AA's are inferior positions, as loudbeagle asserts? Or because you wanted "better", however you define it. Being an AA is never anyone's dream job. Why? Who dreams of being a professional subordinate, though it is perfectly respectable and even can be difficult? Am I the only one that still believes in cache?

It is whatever makes someone happy, that is the key ! I too thought being at the top was the ultimate in happiness, and let me tell you now that I have been at that level for a couple of years, I actually miss being just an engineer ! In fact I do hands on work every chance I get, and personally take on company projects on the weekends so I don't lose any skills and because I love what I used to do. I think it is a fallicy to believe the advancement procures happiness, trust me it is not all it is cracked up to be. Yes some of the perks are nice, the pay is definitely nice, thought that brings a new set of problems along with it also, but looking foward to going to work because you love what you do is by far the most important !

My 2 cents !

Originally posted by eric
It is whatever makes someone happy, that is the key ! I too thought being at the top was the ultimate in happiness, and let me tell you now that I have been at that level for a couple of years, I actually miss being just an engineer ! In fact I do hands on work every chance I get, and personally take on company projects on the weekends so I don't lose any skills and because I love what I used to do. I think it is a fallicy to believe the advancement procures happiness, trust me it is not all it is cracked up to be. Yes some of the perks are nice, the pay is definitely nice, thought that brings a new set of problems along with it also, but looking foward to going to work because you love what you do is by far the most important !

My 2 cents !

So you did it for the perks, the more money, the professional respect, control, power?

You could be JUST an engineer if you really wanted to, right?.

I'm not denying the ultimate truth that nothing is as good or as bad as it seems, for pete's sake.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
So you did it for the perks, the more money, the professional respect, control, power?

You could be JUST an engineer if you really wanted to, right?.

I'm not denying the ultimate truth that nothing is as good or as bad as it seems, for pete's sake.
:rolleyes:

RWA, what is JUST an engineer. I have a BSc and an MSc but am still JUST an engineer.

One of the problems with Britain (and probably the US) is that everyone has to be catagerorized or, in otherwords labelled in some form of social hierarchy.

In historical terms social standing was achieved by being the strongest and best fighter, now it is having the most money. In the UK, at least, this is starting to change very slightly but only slowly. The communist ideology, where each person has equal standing in the community, is a discredited philosophy. So essentially we are left with the system we have now. It may be a cliche to say that money doesn't bring happiness but it is nonetheless true.

Originally posted by 5.10 leader
The communist ideology, where each person has equal standing in the community, is a discredited philosophy. So essentially we are left with the system we have now.
Exactly, so the video is honest. What's wrong with that?

It may be a cliche to say that money doesn't bring happiness but it is nonetheless true.

People only say this after they're essentially fat and happy, and going through the luxury of a midlife crisis.

I'd like the opportunity to attempt to buy happiness, despite the wisdom of those who have gone before. I'm reckless and arrogant, like my president, like my nation!

Once again, I'm not saying anything bad about assistants. I'm not saying there aren't good ones and bad ones. But why aren't you still one then? Didn't you want to move on to being a position of greater decision making and control? Why? Because you've internalized a false stereotype that AA's are inferior positions, as loudbeagle asserts? Or because you wanted "better", however you define it. Being an AA is never anyone's dream job. Why? Who dreams of being a professional subordinate, though it is perfectly respectable and even can be difficult? Am I the only one that still believes in cache?

No, RWA, you misread me. People do various jobs for personal reasons. My stint as an AA was because it was a job I was competent to do and my employer was willing to pay for my MBA costs. Many jobs are stepping stones to others - and that is what enables some to develop careers.

But not everyone is the same. If some people decide they like a certain career and want to stick with it - fabulous!

Again: There is honor in any legitimate job done well.

No, RWA, you misread me. People do various jobs for personal reasons. My stint as an AA was because it was a job I was competent to do and my employer was willing to pay for my MBA costs. Many jobs are stepping stones to others - and that is what enables some to develop careers.

But not everyone is the same. If some people decide they like a certain career and want to stick with it - fabulous!

Again: There is honor in any legitimate job done well.

Mon cher, I agree fully. But let's just admit that some jobs are considered stepping stones and some aren't. Let's call a stepping stone a stepping stone. No stone on the path of success is dishonorable. And some people get further down the path than others. Some people are happy with less. Good. That's less competition at the top! :clap1:

Mon petit chou,

You are incorrigible at times you know.

Those at the top wouldn't be there without the people who do the hands on work.

Mon petit chou,

You are incorrigible at times you know.

Those at the top wouldn't be there without the people who do the hands on work.

Agreed!

But still. crap rolls down hill, always has, always will. None for me thanks. But I predict, I will once again be in the trajectory of a steaming pile sometime soon. I mean, have you see the numbers on the economy! Back to the salt mines! Thank god for tax cuts!

RWA,

All you need is the right job and a nympho-right wing woman who tolerates your indulgences - and you will be thoroughly domesticated.

:D

RWA,

All you need is the right job and a nympho-right wing woman who tolerates your indulgences - and you will be thoroughly domesticated.

Well, the fairer sex is a weakness of mine!:D

Just quick eating like a 6 year old! All that Soylent Beige is holding you back, hun.

Just quick eating like a 6 year old! All that Soylent Beige is holding you back, hun.

I am doing low carb. MMMMMmmmmm, bacon!

Better bacon than some of that other crap you eat.

Mon cher, I agree fully. But let's just admit that some jobs are considered stepping stones and some aren't. Let's call a stepping stone a stepping stone. No stone on the path of success is dishonorable. And some people get further down the path than others. Some people are happy with less. Good. That's less competition at the top! :clap1:
Listen, you condescending person, less is a relative term. If the only reason you work is for monetary gain than you are getting what you asked for. Some people don't work for that reason alone. Neither you nor anyone else should be putting those people below those who desire "more" of whatever.

The fact remains that the use of condescension and insults at another's expense is not what this country and educational system are about. It would behoove the educational authority behind these ads to use another method to get their point across.

An interesting site about work attitudes through history.

http://www.coe.uga.edu/workethic/history.htm

1.Historical Context of the Work Ethic

Roger B. Hill, Ph.D.
© 1992, 1996

From a historical perspective, the cultural norm placing a positive moral value on doing a good job because work has intrinsic value for its own sake was a relatively recent development (Lipset, 1990). Work, for much of the ancient history of the human race, has been hard and degrading. Working hard--in the absence of compulsion--was not the norm for Hebrew, classical, or medieval cultures (Rose, 1985). It was not until the Protestant Reformation that physical labor became culturally acceptable for all persons, even the wealthy.

Forum List

Back