Mistakes Atheists Make

The biggest mistake atheists make is the same mistake that most theists make. Hardly anyone has investigated what gods really are.

Really? Seems like we've been investigating for 150,000 years. Also, anytime we tried to investigate we were tried and found guilty of heresy and ex communicated from our communities. Theists said "Here is the story and you must believe this story or burn in hell or die". They presented those stories as facts. In other words, everything we know about god(s) so far has been a lie. The Greek Gods, him visiting Noah, Moses, Jesus or Adam or Mohammad or Joseph Smith. So what we have are all lies/stories/legends/fairy tales. Or we have people who believe in generic god because they know the stories are all lies too but they just can't believe there is no creator. That's all. That's all we have on god. NOTHING.

Science has investigated what god(s) really are. They are something we invented in our brains when we were very primitive frightened superstitious but also imaginative creatures. Humans have always wondered what happens after they die. What happens to the fish after you kill it or the worm you use to catch the fish?

Just because you can't imagine something doesn't mean it isn't true and just because you imagine something doesn't make it true.

Agnostic Atheism is the only rational position to have. No one knows but based on the evidence, probably not.

It seems like mostly atheists just dismiss the concept. They write gods off as 'not real', or 'invented'.

"They are something we invented in our brains when we were very primitive frightened superstitious but also imaginative creatures."

Well, I think it's debatable which came first, us or god, but I agree that gods are mental constructs. But here's the thing: so are we. Human consciousness - unless you go with some supernatural explanation - appears to be a special kind of software, housed as encoded information in a brain.

A god or something might have made our universe but so far no signs indicate that is true. At least not yet.

And until we know the answer is to keep looking. Don't be content that whatever we don't know must be god. That's what they did for 1000's of years. God of the gaps is what that's called.

Why there is no god

The biggest mistake atheists make is the same mistake that most theists make. Hardly anyone has investigated what gods really are.

Really? Seems like we've been investigating for 150,000 years. Also, anytime we tried to investigate we were tried and found guilty of heresy and ex communicated from our communities. Theists said "Here is the story and you must believe this story or burn in hell or die". They presented those stories as facts. In other words, everything we know about god(s) so far has been a lie. The Greek Gods, him visiting Noah, Moses, Jesus or Adam or Mohammad or Joseph Smith. So what we have are all lies/stories/legends/fairy tales. Or we have people who believe in generic god because they know the stories are all lies too but they just can't believe there is no creator. That's all. That's all we have on god. NOTHING.

Science has investigated what god(s) really are. They are something we invented in our brains when we were very primitive frightened superstitious but also imaginative creatures. Humans have always wondered what happens after they die. What happens to the fish after you kill it or the worm you use to catch the fish?

Just because you can't imagine something doesn't mean it isn't true and just because you imagine something doesn't make it true.

Agnostic Atheism is the only rational position to have. No one knows but based on the evidence, probably not.

It seems like mostly atheists just dismiss the concept. They write gods off as 'not real', or 'invented'.

"They are something we invented in our brains when we were very primitive frightened superstitious but also imaginative creatures."

Well, I think it's debatable which came first, us or god, but I agree that gods are mental constructs. But here's the thing: so are we. Human consciousness - unless you go with some supernatural explanation - appears to be a special kind of software, housed as encoded information in a brain.

A god or something might have made our universe but so far no signs indicate that is true. At least not yet.

Agreed. To clarify, when I say which came first is debatable, I'm merely suggesting that the development of the construct of god (in the human brain) might predate the development of self-awareness and mind. I wasn't suggesting that there's evidence to suggest that any entity 'created' the universe.

And until we know the answer is to keep looking. Don't be content that whatever we don't know must be god. That's what they did for 1000's of years. God of the gaps is what that's called.

That's not at all what I'm saying.

Agreed. To clarify, when I say which came first is debatable, I'm merely suggesting that the development of the construct of god (in the human brain) might predate the development of self-awareness and mind. I wasn't suggesting that there's evidence to suggest that any entity 'created' the universe.

Sometimes I forget I'm replying to someone I agree with. That all might not be meant for you but the theists to see. Sorry.

You think other animals believe in god(s)? Is that what you are saying?

And there might actually be something that created this universe. Who knows right? I don't know what's on the other side of the black holes for example. So the best position to have is agnostic atheism. I or we are 99.999% sure the Jesus and Mohammad and Joseph Smith stories aren't real. The only reason we aren't 100% sure is we weren't there.

I was thinking about this watching Shindlers List last night. What a great movie. I thought about people who deny the holocaust happened like I doubt the Jesus stories happened. I can see why people who believe the Jesus stories actually happened get offended.

But the Jews don't claim miracles happened at the Holocaust. Although there was this one scene where the guy was going to shoot the Jew and his gun wouldn't fire and then he grabbed his back up gun and it wouldn't fire.

Was that a miracle? Did god save that one guy and let thousands or millions die? Really??? I have to ask Boss that question.

Sometimes I forget I'm replying to someone I agree with. That all might not be meant for you but the theists to see. Sorry.

Or something like it. It seems plausible at least.

Or something like it. It seems plausible at least.

They are finding out more and more about animals everyday that go against the old idea that they are not even close to us. Turns out they love, mourn, think, fear just like we do.

I guess it's a lot easier for the farmer to believe his cow has no feelings and is just put here to serve him milk and meat. Even if I'm a meat eater, I wish they would go with free range only. Quality of life at least while they are here on earth. I aint no vegan or veggy.

BTW, I've got a soft tail just like yours. I've tweaked it out a bit with a cowling and bags, but its even the same color. Rides like a dream.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but this "soft tail" is a bit softer, since I dropped my bike crossing a speed bump 10 days ago, and landed on my ass, and then spent 5 hours in an emergency room getting morphine injections.....

Ouch. Really sorry to hear that.

1) Defining atheism
In the golden age of atheism (late 1800's) atheism was generally held to be "the doctrine or belief that there is no God". Today some atheists prefer to define atheism as merely "lack of belief in God". While I appreciate the intellectual retreat the new definition represents, this new definition is illogical. According to the 2nd definition those who know or think there is a God are atheists, which is absurd.

2) Burden of proof
Atheists often say theists must shoulder the burden of proof since theists claim there is a God. However, atheists are also making a claim: theism is an ill-considered position. So atheists should also bear the burden of proof.

3) Radical skepticism
Some atheists are radical skeptics, but radical skepticism is self-defeating. As Wittgenstein said: “If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything. The game of doubting itself presupposes certainty.”

4) Hard materialism
Can atheists prove only the material world exists?

5) Atheism and tolerance
According to one estimate over 25 million Christians died from secular antireligious violence in the 20th century.
Psychology Religion and Spirituality - James M. Nelson - Google Books

6) Atheism and happiness
BBC NEWS Health Religion linked to happy life

7) Atheists' recurring intellectual cowardice and laziness
Atheists seem eager to ridicule the least educated while avoiding the most educated Christians.
Atheists The Origin of the Species by Nick Spencer reviewed.

Whose burden of proof is it on the question of whether or not Big Foot exists? Or the Loch Ness monster? Or ghosts? Or human psychic power? Or reincarnation?

1) Defining atheism
In the golden age of atheism (late 1800's) atheism was generally held to be "the doctrine or belief that there is no God". Today some atheists prefer to define atheism as merely "lack of belief in God". While I appreciate the intellectual retreat the new definition represents, this new definition is illogical. According to the 2nd definition those who know or think there is a God are atheists, which is absurd.

2) Burden of proof
Atheists often say theists must shoulder the burden of proof since theists claim there is a God. However, atheists are also making a claim: theism is an ill-considered position. So atheists should also bear the burden of proof.

3) Radical skepticism
Some atheists are radical skeptics, but radical skepticism is self-defeating. As Wittgenstein said: “If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything. The game of doubting itself presupposes certainty.”

4) Hard materialism
Can atheists prove only the material world exists?

5) Atheism and tolerance
According to one estimate over 25 million Christians died from secular antireligious violence in the 20th century.
Psychology Religion and Spirituality - James M. Nelson - Google Books

6) Atheism and happiness
BBC NEWS Health Religion linked to happy life

7) Atheists' recurring intellectual cowardice and laziness
Atheists seem eager to ridicule the least educated while avoiding the most educated Christians.
Atheists The Origin of the Species by Nick Spencer reviewed.

Whose burden of proof is it on the question of whether or not Big Foot exists? Or the Loch Ness monster? Or ghosts? Or human psychic power? Or reincarnation?

The burden of proof is always on the person making the claim.

or burn in hell
C.S. Lewis said that the door to hell is locked - from the inside. For Christians we put ourselves in Hell (in this world and the next) when we choose selfishness and hate rather than forgiveness and kindness. God hopes we don't make that choice, but He respects our freedom.

Science has investigated what god(s) really are. They are something we invented in our brains when we were very primitive frightened superstitious but also imaginative creatures.
Some of those supposed primitives: 50 Nobel Laureates and Other Great Scientists Who Believe in God

A god or something might have made our universe
So you don't know at all.

but so far no signs indicate that is true.
God of the gaps is what that's called.
Actually the fine tuning argument is the opposite of a God of the gaps argument.

Instead of lurking in some amateurish hate site sealybobo why not open your mind and examine the facts?
Twenty Arguments For The Existence Of God by Peter Kreeft Ronald K. Tacelli

Last edited:
Some arguments for the existence Of God:
Teleological arguments
  • What is the fine-tuning of the universe and how does it serve as a pointer to God BioLogos
  • Why is the universe so beautiful? If you don't believe in Design you think the universe is a random mess, and how can a random mess be beautiful?
  • Why can the physical world be described by elegant equations? Here's John Polkinghorne: "We are so familiar with the fact that we can understand the world that most of the time we take it for granted. It is what makes science possible. Yet it could have been otherwise. The universe might have been a disorderly chaos rather than an orderly cosmos."
Cosmological argument

Other
Why should we discard the testimony of billions who pray and think they have encountered God?

The burden of proof is always on the person making the claim.
Are you claiming that theists are ill-informed or irrational?

If so aren't you making a claim?

If not how can you criticize theists?

More like uninformed, which puts everyone in the same boat. But what I was saying was that the person who makes a claim has the burden of proving it. If you say there is a God, I expect you to present your evidence. If you can't then your claim is pure belief. If you say there is no God, I expect you to present your evidence. If you can't then your claim is pure belief. I am fast approaching my 7th decade on this planet and I have yet to meet a single person on either side of the issue who was able to present a shred of evidence.

What if theists say: I simply don't believe there is no God.

Then I would give them the same response I give to Atheists. In the absence of evidence any position other than "I don't know" is belief. So I don't buy the claim you simply don't believe.

Then I would give them the same response I give to Atheists. In the absence of evidence any position other than "I don't know" is belief. So I don't buy the claim you simply don't believe.

I don't believe, but I'm not selling it, so it does not matter if someone doesn't buy it.

I don't believe, but I'm not selling it, so it does not matter if someone doesn't buy it.

Telling folks they are not going to be with their loved ones for eternity, and that we are like chit being flushed down the toilet when we die is a pretty hard sell. I'm not willing to take it upon myself to sell that either! :biggrin:

Forum List

Back